Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »
    Of course it's fine but debate back has been along the lines of he is having a drink and maybe a drag of a smoke off season he's hardly doing anything too wrong. He is allowed live too.

A few champagne glasses and a drag of a smoke is the mild for a lads holiday. Most of us think it's just being dramatised by preset agenda with the media and some are buying into it

I agree entirely with you.
    However that incident gives fuel to these sh1te journalists who will be suggesting that this has been the norm for Jack all along and that it's the reason he has been only good to middling for both club and country.
    Tools write rubbish. Bigger tools believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Reckoned today they should go out and sign Khedira & that'll make them serious contenders.
    Just pay the wages if that story is true, Wenger should be able to handle the players if they come looking for the same, etc.

He wasn't that bad at all, had a little joke at wenger at the start though :pac:

I actually always listen to it haha forgot today though, sounds like he wasnt too bad, wonder is he trolling on purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Sanchez made a twitter account https://twitter.com/Alexis_Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

203k followers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Sanchez made a twitter account https://twitter.com/Alexis_Sanchez

Id rather follow his missus TBH....PHWOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 Jul 14

Jack Wilshere has cigarette on holiday=people outraged. JW befriends kid with cancer and helps his family=nobody cares. This is England
    Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

dinorebel wrote: »
    Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 Jul 14

Jack Wilshere has cigarette on holiday=people outraged. JW befriends kid with cancer and helps his family=nobody cares. This is England
    Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

Unfortunately we all know that good news stories rarely make headlines. That's the world we live in like it or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

exactly, how many journos or papers acknowledged Ronaldo paying for the op for a young child a few weeks back, very few if any, however if the same player was pictured with a cig it would be headline news

Arsenal News ‏@_arsenal__news 42 mins

Sami Khedira seems set to complete his move to Arsenal according to reports in Spain. His jerseys have been taken out of Madrid's club shop.

Not happening................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Still refuse to believe.

Feels like a perfect transfer story for the papers straight after the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

wonga77 wrote: »

Sami Khedira seems set to complete his move to Arsenal according to reports in Spain. His jerseys have been taken out of Madrid's club shop.

I doubt thats true.
    According to Kike Marin negotiations have stopped because Khedira's agent is demanding to much.

https://twitter.com/Kike_Marin_/status/489060428891578368

Hope i'm wrong.

wonga77 wrote: »

Defo not happening, can't happen, won't happen, will never happen, never ever ever ;-)

So Remy is available for £8M.. It'd be silly to pass him up at that price.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Depends on wages I imagine. We've over paid very average players in the past and I hope the club have learned a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Unless we actually want to move forward and not stand still buying average players.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

We can't buy him. After Khedira is done we're going in for Cavani. No room for Remy.

We can't buy him. After Khedira is done we're going in for Cavani. No room for Remy.

We're not getting Khedira, remember ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I doubt thats true.
    According to Kike Marin negotiations have stopped because Khedira's agent is demanding to much.

https://twitter.com/Kike_Marin_/status/489060428891578368

Hope i'm wrong.

Seen that he reckons fees have been agreed but Khedira is looking for 200k a week I seriously doubt he's on that much at Madrid or many clubs will be offering him that wage.

I'd love Khedira but wouldn't blame the club for refusing to make him our highest earner.

Come prove your worth then maybe try 're negotiate a year down the line.

Could be all hear say time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

omega man wrote: »
    We're not getting Khedira, remember ;-)

Oh forgot about that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We're far past Remy at this stage. Why would you intentionally buy a player you know isn't good enough?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We're far past Remy at this stage. Why would you intentionally buy a player you know isn't good enough?

As a backup to Giroud he is 100% good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Get the CM in

And let wenger use his magic one more time then

As a backup to Giroud he is 100% good enough.

I'd much rather Campbell be that. Remy is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just going to nip this remy debate in the butt before it starts

Were after going over and over and over and over

Some want some don't let's agree to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Soups123 wrote: »
    Of course it's fine but debate back has been along the lines of he is having a drink and maybe a drag of a smoke off season he's hardly doing anything too wrong. He is allowed live too.

A few champagne glasses and a drag of a smoke is the mild for a lads holiday. Most of us think it's just being dramatised by preset agenda with the media and some are buying into it
    farna_boy wrote: »
    I agree that every topic should be open for discussion. I just think people are being a bit naive when it comes to Wilshere.

Long before a ball had been kicked at the World Cup this year, most (England)fans had come to the conclusion that Wilshere was going to be a failure and let England down. Now I'm not sure where this theory originated but a lot of these rags, at the very least, helped to spread this perception.

Now that England are out, and a villian had already been chosen beforehand, it's not surprising to see Wilshere drinking and smoking. Go back to the previous world cup and you will see that Rooney was the villian of choice back then and oh look, all of a sudden pictures arise of him drinking and smoking in August.

Now I'm sure that not every player smokes, but I wonder if a different player had been the villian of choice before the tournament, would pictures suddenly be found of them drinking and smoking? I'm also not naive enough to believe that Wilshere is the only England player out drinking at the moment, but for most England fans it's nice to see you being proven right, that the player you thought was going to be crap was and that he doesn't even care after England have been kicked out. As others have already said, it's click bate for Arsenal fans but probably moreso for England fans in this scenario.

And that's even before questioning was the cigarette his or did someone give it to him just before the picture.

Even taking all that into consideration, professional athletes at this level shouldn't be smoking. It's that simple. He's not "one of the lads" so comparisons to what you might do on a night out is irrelevant.

He's paid enough to look after himself. He's showing the club disrespect by doing it, apologising for doing it and promising to stop, and then doing it again. It's all about professionalism. Can you imagine Henry doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Could you imagine the meltdown if we got Cavani... Striker talk seems to have died down and on Arseblog they were on about how Wenger might try convert AS into a main striker, he does everything is his, eh, arsenal, to do the job. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Random tangent here for a minute but I'm watching An old Graham Norton on BBC Canada where our beloved Thierry Henry was a guest, for some reason. Interesting how when asked why he left he said not knowing whether Wenger was going to sign a new deal was the main reason he joined Barca. To a degree I understand why he left but for me that's a bit of a cop out answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Random tangent here for a minute but I'm watching An old Graham Norton on BBC Canada where our beloved Thierry Henry was a guest, for some reason. Interesting how when asked why he left he said not knowing whether Wenger was going to sign a new deal was the main reason he joined Barca. To a degree I understand why he left but for me that's a bit of a cop out answer.

Wouldn't call it a cop out answer but I doubt it was the biggest deciding factor. He probably felt he'd done all he could with us (coupled with fear that Wenger would leave) and we can't really say it was the wrong decision considering the titles he won and the extra money he made along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wasn't he going through a divorce too?

I reckon Henry wanted to leave the year before but Wenger got him to stay and promised he'd sell him the next year, 16 odd million was a ridiculous price for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

3 Henry's for the price of David Luiz. Just think! A 4-3-3 with Henry up top, on the left and on the right.

• Advertisement

Marca reporting fees agreed between Arsenal and Madrid wages are the stumbling block but we're not to far apart in agreeing terms either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's such a counter-productive narrative in the UK (and Ireland) about trying your best all the time and always doing the right thing.

It means that Wilshire can't have a smoke on holidays.

Ironically it also meant that he had to go into a pointless 50/50 which more or less out him out of the World Cup in the first place.

They'll never progress because players like Riquelme and Ozil get crucified for not appearing to give 100% effort.

Losing is a much more appealing prospect for a player than appearing to 'not try'

So Wilshire's fair game because he wasn't 'trying his best' while sitting in a pool in Vegas.

It's about values really. But it's why Wilshire was flagged as a special talent in the UK whereas on Spain they've an assembly line of players like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I heard Ray Parlour talk about how Arsene Wenger gave them a day off during pre- season to do whatever they wanted. The English lads knew where they were going straight away and headed straight to the pub (Along with Grimandi who wanted to sample English culture).

After about 7 pints each they decided to hit another pub. On the way there they passed a cafe and saw all the french lads - smoking.

Ray Parlour "At that moment I thought how are we gonna win the league, we are all pissed and they are all smoking".

The year - 97 as in the 97/98 double so maybe Jack smoking is a sign that we are about to embark on another great era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Marca reporting that a fee is agreed with Real for Khedira, with personal terms yet to be agreed

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/marca-arsenal-agree-e25m-fee-with-real-madrid-for-sami-khedira-wage-demands-holding-up-deal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The year - 97 as in the 97/98 double so maybe Jack smoking is a sign that we are about to embark on another great era

The only thing is that all the other clubs back then were up to the same. Our main rivals would be fairly clean as well these days.

That said if Wilshire is only having a smoke every now and then it's not a major problem. If he is chugging away on a pack a day then there is a serious problem!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I never thought his overall fitness was an issue. He's had injuries but it's not like he's puffing and panting on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

gandalf wrote: »
    The only thing is that all the other clubs back then were up to the same. Our main rivals would be fairly clean as well these days.

That said if Wilshire is only having a smoke every now and then it's not a major problem. If he is chugging away on a pack a day then there is a serious problem!
    Agreed. Just putting a positive light on it to counteract the over reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Latest rumour doing the rounds is that we have bid for Ron Vlaar

Im sure there are countless top professionals out there who drink and smoke. Only difference is they are not caught at it

Khedira Daily News Update!!

SSN -
    Transfer news coming up on #SSN - reports in Spain claim Arsenal have agreed a fee with Real Madrid for Sami Khedira

Marca -
    €25mn fee agreed between Madrid & Arsenal for Khedira.Player wants €135,000 a week deal.

Rumours of Khedira's high wage demands are very true. Supposedly he's looking for €135K a week *Net* which would make him the biggest earner at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

SSN -

Marca -

Rumours of Khedira a high wage are very true. Supposedly he's looking for €135K a week *Net* which would make him the biggest earner at the club.

Would mean we would have to pay him well over 200k a week which will never happen.
    Not when he won't be our marquee player.

I'm sure an alternative will be agreed upon.

Marca reckon an agreement isn't to far off though and it's likely to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

SSN -

Marca -

Rumours of Khedira's high wage demands are very true. Supposedly he's looking for €135K a week *Net* which would make him the biggest earner at the club.

I've heard it's €105k net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

dvemail wrote: »
    Would mean we would have to pay him well over 200k a week which will never happen.
    Not when he won't be our marquee player.

I'm sure an alternative will be agreed upon.

id rather we get the best DM in the world for that sort of money.

200k for khadira? his a crock. waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

id rather we get the best DM in the world for that sort of money.

200k for khadira? his a crock. waste of money.

Fabulous player and just what we need, but he never seems to manage more than 25 league games a season. That's a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

greendom wrote: »
    Fabulous player and just what we need, but he never seems to manage more than 25 league games a season. That's a worry.

With Arteta/Flamini we can probably get away with him only playing 25 games a season.

It'd be nice to get the Khedira/Debuchy deals done and then we can relax a bit and get in the back up CB at our leisure and I'd even suspect if the right striker came up at the right price :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Bender's younger and probably cheaper - but Khedira has chemistry with Ozil.

Tough call, I personally would go for the former but either or would be great.

Bender's younger and probably cheaper - but Khedira has chemistry with Ozil.

Tough call, I personally would go for the former but either or would be great.

Screw it, get them both! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

i-want-it-all-and-i-want-it-now.png

• Advertisement

I'd prefer Khedira haven't seen much of Bender but been a fan of Khedira a long time him an Ozil linking up with Ramsey in there as well is perfect imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement