Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna try the plan someone suggested earlier on and let the young fella stay up late tonight to watch the match.

Here's hoping it works :o

When you're finally putting him to bed, tell him about the return leg.

Then tomorrow the questions start

'Are Arsenal on tonight. Are Arsenal on tonight'

'No, that's not until next week, 7 more sleeps'

'Aw I love it when Arsenal are on'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think I'm gonna try the plan someone suggested earlier on and let the young fella stay up late tonight to watch the match.

Here's hoping it works :o

What was this cunning plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soups123 wrote: »
    What was this cunning plan?
    Have a strict bed time for your kids, but on ECL and Cup nights when Arsenal are playing, let them stay up to watch the match. They then associate watching Arsenal with being a special treat and grow to love watching them.

Credit to gosplan (I think) for coming up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I've been letting my daughter stay up on CL nights since she was three. Added brainwashing technique: small bowl of ice cream.

Evil maybe , but last Saturday before kick off she broke into a top-of-her voice rendition of "and it's Ar sen aal !"
    Oh the pride I felt!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You guys are evil, but if I ever get around to having kids I will definitely be utilising these tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Now i want to have kids and brainwash them! You know i couldn't even tell you the reason i started watching Arsenal play....Nobody in my family even likes football never mind support Arsenal.

I just know i really really enjoyed watching henry/berg/pires etc and decided hey, i wanna see these play every week.

Have a strict bed time for your kids, but on ECL and Cup nights when Arsenal are playing, let them stay up to watch the match. They then associate watching Arsenal with being a special treat and grow to love watching them.

Excellent.

I lost my first son to ManU, big influence from his grandads. So I have been working well on my second (6 now) and touch wood its all going well. I start buying him Match attacks and told him everytime he finds an Arsenal player he gets a free pack.

I was playing shots with him about two weeks ago and as we were about to start he said 'I'm Arsenal and Ozil, who are you' I was fcukin chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

If you think one player/position is the reason for them results you're very mistaken.

Khedira isn't a dm in the makelele style of things but he does have defensive attributes that could be utilised as the more defensive player in a system with 2 box to box midfielders. He's certainly more defensive than yaya

What do you attribute those hammerings to so?

If we go into those games again with more or less the same team, particularly from a defensive aspect, what will the difference be? The high back line maybe but for me a DM is key.

Tackling and disrupting the opposition is important but having a ball winner is pivotal in counter attacking. Take that pool game where we just couldn't get hold of the ball at all before the game was over as a contest.

Will wenger change his tactics? I hope so but unlikely I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nah, I stole it from someone on another thread.

Probably one of those sneaky Liverpool fans.

• Advertisement

Now i want to have kids and brainwash them! You know i couldn't even tell you the reason i started watching Arsenal play....Nobody in my family even likes football never mind support Arsenal.

I just know i really really enjoyed watching henry/berg/pires etc and decided hey, i wanna see these play every week.

Oh I can I was 8 and Mickey Thomas scored a rather important goal against the Pool I think it was :)

In a large family and extended family I am the only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looking forward to the game tonight, neighbour is originally from Istanbul and is a Besiktas fan. He was saying they broke the world record for noise, unreal atmosphere there.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You guys are evil, but if I ever get around to having kids I will definitely be utilising these tactics.

A family friendly arsenal forum, love it! So very Arsenal.....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    Oh I can I was 8 and Mickey Thomas scored a rather important goal against the Pool I think it was :)

In a large family and extended family I am the only one

I'm pretty sure that's when I latched on to Arsenal too. I have 2 brothers, one Liverpool (who doesn't really follow them anymore) and one United then there's a pretty even split in the extended family between Liverpool and United. I'm the only Arsenal supporter. The plus side is everyone else is too busy winding each other up to ever bother with me.

I'm pretty sure that's when I latched on to Arsenal too. I have 2 brothers, one Liverpool (who doesn't really follow them anymore) and one United then there's a pretty even split in the extended family between Liverpool and United. I'm the only Arsenal supporter. The plus side is everyone else is too busy winding each other up to ever bother with me.

Similiar here, the family is littered with United and Pool. Was great craic when we were challenging united in the Keane v Veira days.

Not sure why I was but for some reason I watch the last 15 minutes of that game through a neighbors open window and it just stuck from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So Ozil did the Ice bucket challenge.. Its the most efficient one yet! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So Ozil did the Ice bucket challenge.. Its the most efficient one yet! :pac:

Very German all right.

gosplan wrote: »
    Nah, I stole it from someone on another thread.

Probably one of those sneaky Liverpool fans.
    Sure they don't play too many evening games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Vargas going to QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Match thread up for tonight's game guys! COYG

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057272726

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This Chambers kid is a beast, next Tony Adams :D

• Advertisement

Tv3 commentators said Manolas is having his medical tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Tv3 commentators said Manolas is having his medical tonight.

Heard that. We really need him!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

I know its early but I'm conceding the title. We're not gonna win it with Giroud as our main striker. I like him. He's just not clinical enough. If we had an Aguerro/costa we would walk this league but Giroud isn't at that level Imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    I know its early but I'm conceding the title. We're not gonna win it with Giroud as our main striker. I like him. He's just not clinical enough. If we had an Aguerro/costa we would walk this league but Giroud isn't at that level Imo

Well, he's certainly having a nightmare out there today. Surprised he's still on the pitch really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud is a bigger wink link than Arteta for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FFS Aaron. Clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

FFS Aaron. Clusterfcuk.

Very harsh red. Both cards were debatable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It's been obvious for a long time we need better than giroud.

Strangely enough he has a lot of supporters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Very harsh red. Both cards were debatable IMO.

Maybe but after the first he should have been careful.

• Advertisement

Maybe but after the first he should have been careful.

True, but I don't think he did much wrong for the second card. Hardly a drag back at all. Put his hand out but barely touched him. We'll miss him next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Where are we gonna play all these players when Theo and ozil comes back?

Be very hard to keep them all happy, good problem to have suppose.

But ox must feel he should be starting.

Id be interested to hear what the OG fans have to say tonight.

Still plenty of time to pick up more injuries before then.

I'm a big fan of Giroud. He's had a very poor night tonight. As bad as I've seen him play for us.

Walcott Ozil Ox
    Sanchez

Giroud is a bench player and nothing else, santi is pushing on, squad role similar to Rosicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We badly need a top class centre forward :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Positives from that game were Chambers, Alexis and Debuchy. Played very solid and looked hungry.

Giroud I have to say, that was his worse performance in an Arsenal shirt. He controlled very little, held up very little and was stagnant to any attacking play Alexis tried to generate with him.

Overall a good result but we should have done more.

In the circumstances, I'm happy enough with the result. I'm sure we'll take them next week. Poor performance going forward. And Rambos red card. Not a great night so 0-0 is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm a big fan of Giroud. He's had a very poor night tonight. As bad as I've seen him play for us.

Yeah he was pretty bad tonight but I still don't know who we could realistically get instead. Ref was bad too i thought. Seemed to be blowing for every little thing. Awful game. Awful performance but we got a good result.

Lads I stopped putting ticks under Giroud "miss-pass". He completed 6 passes I think and was dire.
    Now I have supported him all last season and beyond.
    The first 2 games this season have been very bad for him.
    Needs to regain form fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Poor stuff all round and the red card and Arteta injury don't exactly help things. Giroud was terrible. Chambers, Kos, Nacho, Alexis were pretty good. The result is grand, should be able to beat them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Had a wee laugh there at the end of the game at Giroud's overall performance.

To think, a good number of people on here bashed on me and others for commenting negatively on Giroud's ability in this squad before the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Giroud fan club president here. Very frustrated at him tonight to be honest. Nothing he tried to do came off for him. I don't think he's the only one to blame though. We looked blunt going forward. I don't know why, but we looked very static for most of the game, apart from some nice work from Alexis in the opening quarter. We didn't look pacy until Ox came in but as usual, it was too late at that stage. Wenger's timing on subs is incredibly frustrating. We could have done with taking off Wilshere and Giroud at 60 and bringing on Ox and possibly Campbell.

Hate to be pessimistic already but my pre season excitement, optimism and expectations are dwindling a little.

Said it before but that giroud lad must have some dirt on Wenger!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Dapics wrote: »

To think, a good number of people on here bashed on me and others for commenting negatively on Giroud's ability in this squad before the start of the season.

Yeah and I'd happily bash again. He's on a bad run of form at the beginning of the seaosn. 2 games so far only. You and the other Giroud haters seem to be obsessed with being proven 'right' and can't wait for one of our own players to have a stinker. I don't understand that negative mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Dapics wrote: »

Yeah cos he plays like this every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I thought Cazorla was worse then anyone

Giroud was useless tonight but Santi was just as bad, time to phase the two of them out for ox and alexis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dorgasm wrote: »
    Yeah and I'd happily bash again. He's on a bad run of form at the beginning of the seaosn. 2 games so far only. You and the other Giroud haters seem to be obsessed with being proven 'right' and can't wait for one of our own players to have a stinker. I don't understand that negative mentality.

People don't "hate" Giroud. He just isn't good enough. I think what some people find frustrating is the blind defence of him because he plays for your club.

You don't base your opinion off one performance. Giroud scoring a hat-trick tonight or having a stinker wouldn't change the overriding opinion that Arsenal need better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement