Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Yeah cos he plays like this every game

Well, roughly a third of games.

C'mon, admit that lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Eto could do a job for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am a big fan of OG,when he is on form he is an excellent player to set up midfield runners and he can score some excellent goals. Unfortunately for the first two competitive games of this season he has only been a shadow of himself. I do believe now that investment is needed for a top class striker to ensure we are challenging at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

As an Arsenal fan, there is nothing more that i want than for Giroud to be a top notch striker and bang in the goals. But i know he isnt capable of that, he is a 12 million pound striker and thats what you get for that money. Certainly dont enjoy watching garbage like he served up tonight to prove my point, i wouldnt need that evidence to base my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Dapics wrote: »
    Well, roughly a third of games.

C'mon, admit that lad.

I'm not even the biggest fan of him and obviously admit that we can do better (if someone is available). But some people make it out as if he's a complete donkey in every game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Well that was utter bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How about this team for the 2nd leg lads? I know he will play Flamini and Giroud but this side might be more attack minded.

Chezney

Debuchy Mert Kosc Monrael

Chambers

Sanchez Wilshere Ozil Ox

Campbell

Sorry made a hames of this first time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kirby wrote: »
    People don't "hate" Giroud. He just isn't good enough. I think what some people find frustrating is the blind defence of him because he plays for your club.

You don't base your opinion off one performance. Giroud scoring a hat-trick tonight or having a stinker wouldn't change the overriding opinion that Arsenal need better.

I think his most staunch defenders know we need better (me included). The trouble is he's a really good striker when what we need is a great striker.

Was easily one of his worst performances in an Arsenal shirt tonight but then it was a pretty poor performance full stop bar maybe 3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How about this team for the 2nd leg lads? I know he will play Flamini and Giroud but this side might be more attack minded.

Chezney

Debuchy Mert Kosc Monrael

Chambers

Ox Wilshere Ozil Rosicky

Campbell

I wouldn't start Rosicky out wide but apart from that it looks a good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

People don't "hate" Giroud. He just isn't good enough. I think what some people find frustrating is the blind defence of him because he plays for your club.

You don't base your opinion off one performance. Giroud scoring a hat-trick tonight or having a stinker wouldn't change the overriding opinion that Arsenal need better.

And that's the problem. It seems that no matter what Giroud does, he won't be good enough for us. Of course, even as a fan of his, I'd love something better, but I think he does a good job for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Giroud was bad, that was obvious to everyone, i just dont understand why didnt he give campbell the last 20 minutes. He couldnt possibly be any worse

Im worried Arsene will be out done tactically again this season. Was terrible tonight, could have brought the ox on much sooner, leaving santi on was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Well that was utter bollocks

Get to the point why don't you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dorgasm wrote: »
    And that's the problem. It seems that no matter what Giroud does, he won't be good enough for us. Of course, even as a fan of his, I'd love something better, but I think he does a good job for us.

If he started scoring tons of goals, it absolutely would be good enough. It would be silly to say otherwise. But it's important to differentiate between an outlier and a pattern.

Giroud scoring 3 goals tonight wouldn't suddenly make him good enough and likewise having a stinker tonight wouldn't suddenly make him not good enough. That judgement is made over the course of a season. And in most peoples eyes, that judgement has been made and he's been found wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I wouldn't call it utter bollocks. Still early days in the season. Good workout tonight. Giroud was diabolical and we won't win titles relying on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I like og but he was bad tonight. Whats worrying is so were some other lads, and we've some tough games incoming. Need to get it together soon. Ox was good, monreal was decent, chambers is going to be a star. But we need our germans back. Disappointing, but at least we can take them to the Emirates and hopefully do them there.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Im worried Arsene will be out done tactically again this season. Was terrible tonight, could have brought the ox on much sooner, leaving santi on was laughable.

Wenger is far too slow in making changes. Sometimes the damage is irreperable before he changes things and he sets the team up wrong in the big away games al la Chelsea last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ive not met anyone who thinks giroud is a good enough striker to spearhead a title challenge, even from his fans. He's not. As was said, he's a 12m pound player, playing like a 12m pound player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its early I know but ive been so impressed with Chambers so far. Lots of maturity for a 19 year old, he's gonna be a huge player for us in the future

• Advertisement

If he started scoring tons of goals, it absolutely would be good enough. It would be silly to say otherwise. But it's important to differentiate between an outlier and a pattern.

Giroud scoring 3 goals tonight wouldn't suddenly make him good enough and likewise having a stinker tonight wouldn't suddenly make him not good enough. That judgement is made over the course of a season. And in most peoples eyes, that judgement has been made and he's been found wanting.

Fair enough, I can't disagree with that. I think Mick hit the nail on the head. He's a good striker but we need/want a great striker. I just don't see the point in slating him when he's all we've got. I'd rather focus on what he does positively for us until the day he's replaced.

Genuine question, whats a bigger priority DM or CF?

We need both to be realistic challengers tbh, Manalos and two more but it wont happen

Genuine question, whats a bigger priority DM or CF?

We need both to be realistic challengers tbh, Manalos and two more but it wont happen

Depends which specific CF or which DM.

I mean i 'd rather a top CF then an average DM and vice versa if you get me.

Preseason I thought we really needed a quality DM but after Saturday and tonight I think we need a striker, better than giroud, if we are serious about winning the title.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Choice between a top CF and top DM I think I'd take the CF.

Posters seem to think that Sanogo is the only alternative to Giroud BUT we have others i.e. Campbell. AND we even have Theo coming back and he can play there as can Sanchez.
    I would like to see Wenger try other things up front but will he? Don't think so.

Posters seem to think that Sanogo is the only alternative to Giroud BUT we have others i.e. Campbell. AND we even have Theo coming back and he can play there as can Sanchez.
    I would like to see Wenger try other things up front but will he? Don't think so.
    Game was crying out for ox and campbell and yet he still didnt get on. I dont think he rates him, wont be shocked to see him head out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

We've had tons of games like that in early rounds in the past, I don't think we should read too much into it.

The Turkish have always been very hard to beat at home for everyone. The atmosphere gets under everyone's skin (including the ref), the HUGE pitch which was in bits... none of of it is conducive to an impressive performance for visiting teams.

Fortunately for us the Turkish sides are just as well known for being toxic on the road so we should be well able to do the job next week.

Made for uncomfortable viewing all the same, could really have done with a handier draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well that was awful!
    Our midfield is really bad.. Like REALLY bad. Besiktas just ran through the middle with ease.

Giroud was pretty bad and really offered very little.. Same goes for Jack,Cazorla and Ramsey. Sanchez again (imo) was our biggest threat. Also the Ox needs to start over either Cazorla or Giroud (play Alexis up top)

We desperately need a more mobile DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What has Campbell got to do for Wenger to give him a proper chance, the lad had a great loan spell in Greece and was one of the very bright sparks at this years world cup. Madness he wasnt brought on tonight.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What has Campbell got to do for Wenger to give him a proper chance, the lad had a great loan spell in Greece and was one of the very bright sparks at this years world cup. Madness he wasnt brought on tonight.

He probably needs to dabble with the dark arts, sacrificing virgins and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Will we just not bother with the rest of the season so altogether? Or will we just play the cup games and try defend our title?? Cos it's abundantly clear now here that Chelsea have the title won after one game. And Fabregas is footballer of the year and Olivier Giroud who has now played less than 180 minutes and scored 1 goal which many thought he was incapable of scoring is now completely **** in the space of those 160 minutes and we have no chance of winning anything.

If only the transfer window wasn't shut?? Oh wait...two more weeks.

We need to relax on here. We really do. It's 2 games into a season with 3 new players bedding in. We will find our rhythm and a couple of players. It's not football manager..ya can't click a button and sigm anyone ya can afford. There is a game to be played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I think we all know we could do with an upgrade on Giroud but who can we get

Will we just not bother with the rest of the season so altogether? Or will we just play the cup games and try defend our title?? Cos it's abundantly clear now here that Chelsea have the title won after one game. And Fabregas is footballer of the year and Olivier Giroud who has now played less than 180 minutes and scored 1 goal which many thought he was incapable of scoring is now completely **** in the space of those 160 minutes and we have no chance of winning anything.

If only the transfer window wasn't shut?? Oh wait...two more weeks.

We need to relax on here. We really do. It's 2 games into a season with 3 new players bedding in. We will find our rhythm and a couple of players. It's not football manager..ya can't click a button and sigm anyone ya can afford. There is a game to be played.

I'm hearing you but the problem is we're agonisingly close to a fantastic squad, the best since the invincible's at least. Just one or 2 more additions and we're there or thereabouts. I know the window isn't closed but it would be ideal to bed players in as early as possible.

As for Chelsea, I don't give a fook about them or cesc.

jonny666 wrote: »
    I think we all know we could do with an upgrade on Giroud but who can we get

Cavani is the only obvious available choice in terms of world class, undeniable upgrades. Would cream my pants if he came but I don't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Once Ozil is back things will improve with our attack. We really need him I think. Cazorla was not good tonight which was always going to hurt us offensively with the role he has.

Giroud I think I will judge once our midfield is back to full strength and the midfield is providing more opportunities for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Choice between a top CF and top DM I think I'd take the CF.

No a Defensive midfielder is a must, the away games agaisn't the big teams we get out muscled in those games, a tough tackling ball player who's world class will do the trick. Walcott and Sanchez can play up forward with Giroud and Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Happy enough with the draw, the pitch was muck so we couldn't play our usual passing game. There was no roll on the ball.

Everton away is our first real test. It'll be interesting to see how we play in a away game we got totally outplayed in last season.

Can be a major confidence boost getting a positive result.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Once Ozil is back things will improve with our attack. We really need him I think. Cazorla was not good tonight which was always going to hurt us offensively with the role he has.

Giroud I think I will judge once our midfield is back to full strength and the midfield is providing more opportunities for him.

Giroud has had two seasons. my problem with him is it takes him ten chances to bury one. You could get one great game out of him out of 5 and you are carrying him for the next four. He's a love him and hate him sort of player but going into a season with him as our number 1 striker is scary. hopefully a returning Walcott and Sanchez can carry the load.

Carzorla isn't a winger and last season and the two games we seen so far you can see he's not comfortable out there.

Everton away is our first real test. It'll be interesting to see how we play in a away game we got totally outplayed in last season.

Can be a major confidence boost getting a positive result.

We need to win it, I know it's not the end of the world to get a draw but to show the rest of our rivals we are going to be dangerous this season. Everton will be a great place to go and win. They aren't unbeatable so why can't we not go there and win.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Giroud has had two seasons. my problem with him is it takes him ten chances to bury one. You could get one great game out of him out of 5 and you are carrying him for the next four. He's a love him and hate him sort of player but going into a season with him as our number 1 striker is scary. hopefully a returning Walcott and Sanchez can carry the load.

Carzorla isn't a winger and last season and the two games we seen so far you can see he's not comfortable out there.

Giroud has been decent though the past seasons. I think we can be successful this season if he provides great hold up play for incoming midfielders and then add a few extra goals this year.

For me Wenger is placing pressure on the midfield to produce more goals rather than Giroud this season.

• Advertisement

We need to win it, I know it's not the end of the world to get a draw but to show the rest of our rivals we are going to be dangerous this season. Everton will be a great place to go and win. They aren't unbeatable so why can't we not go there and win.

A win would be excellent. A draw acceptable in my books. Away game in Turkey followed by another away game to one of the top teams in the league is a tough week.

Giroud has been decent though the past seasons. I think we can be successful this season if he provides great hold up play for incoming midfielders and then add a few extra goals this year.

For me Wenger is placing pressure on the midfield to produce more goals rather than Giroud this season.

I just get the feeling Wenger isn't the type of manager that see's the point in splashing out 70 million on a world class striker, he rather let the team spread the goals around and have a striker who work his boots of rather then a 30 goal a season man.

I just think we need someone up there if one chance lands to him in a big top 4 game away that he bury it. Tonight Giroud looked like a guy who never kicked a ball in his life in some parts of the game. Giroud is a great back up man, who you play agains't a mid table team during the Christmas games and the odd league game during the years and play in the cup games. He just isn't the player to win us titles.

I just get the feeling Wenger isn't the type of manager that see's the point in splashing out 70 million on a world class striker, he rather let the team spread the goals around and have a striker who work his boots of rather then a 30 goal a season man.

I just think we need someone up there if one chance lands to him in a big top 4 game away that he bury it. Tonight Giroud looked like a guy who never kicked a ball in his life in some parts of the game. Giroud is a great back up man, who you play agains't a mid table team during the Christmas games and the odd league game during the years and play in the cup games. He just isn't the player to win us titles.

I'd like someone who's more consistent for definite. For example last season he missed a sitter against Chelsea away early on but then he scores his only chance against Newcastle away. He can delight on one day and completely frustrate on others.

I think it's more mental with him in the big games than anything, which is something you could argue is an issue for all the team. I think Wenger is sticking with him and Sanogo is his new pet project so we will not sign another striker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A tough nil all draw, Ramsey sent off, Giroud useless, and now to top it all off, Diaby has crocked himself during the Ice Bucket Challenge:

BvaavWCIUAEWWQM.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from twitter.

Giroud has to be the least clinical starting striker we have had in 15-20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Giroud has to be the least clinical starting striker we have had in 15-20 years?

How did he manage to score 20+ league goals for us last season?

How did he manage to score 20+ league goals for us last season?

He only got 16 league goals in a team with Ozil and Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Would love to see this team on Sat:
    Szcz
    Debuchy Kos Mert Monreal
    Flamini Ramsey
    Campbell Ozil Ox
    Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Would love to see this team on Sat:
    Szcz
    Debuchy Kos Mert Monreal
    Flamini Ramsey
    Campbell Ozil Ox
    Sanchez

Everton at home will play a nice high line so I do think that team could work.

I wouldn't play both ox and Campbell though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He only got 16 league goals in a team with Ozil and Ramsey.

And that had nothing to do with Ozil underperforming at times and Ramsey missing for half of it ?

Missed the game tonight so I can't defend Giroud, but I get the feeling we have the scapegoat sorted for the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement