Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

greendom wrote: »
    And that had nothing to do with Ozil underperforming at times and Ramsey missing for half of it ?

Missed the game tonight so I can't defend Giroud, but I get the feeling we have the scapegoat sorted for the season.

16 league goals isnt the best though. In the league and europe he has 32 goals in 87 games, a ratio of nearly 1 in every 3, surely thats not good enough? Tonights game was terrible, him and santi were dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

greendom wrote: »
    And that had nothing to do with Ozil underperforming at times and Ramsey missing for half of it ?

Missed the game tonight so I can't defend Giroud, but I get the feeling we have the scapegoat sorted for the season.

He'll definitely be used as a scapegoat this season but in fairness, tonight was one of his worst performances in an Arsenal shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

I get the Campbell love i really do, he has great spirit and tenacity about him and he has obvious quality, but i can't help thinking that we are falling into the same trap fans of other teams also fall into!
    For example Utd fans at various stages last season were crying out for Kagawa and Hernandez to start games when they were on the bench for a run of matches when results were not good. Ultimately they got some games and were no better.

The reality is that if Campbell or anyone else is good enough then they will play it is as simple as that.

No player has left Arsenal for bigger and better things after not getting their chance with us.

We are only a couple of games into the season, Giroud didnt start the first league game for no other reason other than lack of fitness and we clearly saw that tonight. I accept he is not Aguero etc but i don't accept that tonight was typical of him. He is currently not at his level, even if his level is still below what we would ideally have and have had in Van Persie Henry etc.

I suppose my point is to keep the faith with what we have, we have a really f**king good team and I believe that if an upgrade to Giroud Arteta etc is available then Wenger will get it done. If not we get the very best out of what we have. And we have plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dorgasm wrote: »
    He'll definitely be used as a scapegoat this season but in fairness, tonight was one of his worst performances in an Arsenal shirt.

Fail to score = Giroud's fault

Concede more than 2 goals = Arteta's fault

rinse and repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Arteta is injured btw lads.

• Advertisement

I really hope chambers plays DM on sat. Wouldnt trust that liability Flamini, probably be booked after 5 minutes and either be anonymous after that or sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    I really hope chambers plays DM on sat. Wouldnt trust that liability Flamini, probably be booked after 5 minutes and either be anonymous after that or sent off.

Hopefully Kos's injury clears up as otherwise he may need to rest it. With Merts just coming back and Monreal having to cover for Gibbs Flamini is virtually nailled on to play. Be nice if he could avoid a yellow card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I get the Campbell love i really do, he has great spirit and tenacity about him and he has obvious quality, but i can't help thinking that we are falling into the same trap fans of other teams also fall into!
    For example Utd fans at various stages last season were crying out for Kagawa and Hernandez to start games when they were on the bench for a run of matches when results were not good. Ultimately they got some games and were no better.

The reality is that if Campbell or anyone else is good enough then they will play it is as simple as that.

No player has left Arsenal for bigger and better things after not getting their chance with us.

We are only a couple of games into the season, Giroud didnt start the first league game for no other reason other than lack of fitness and we clearly saw that tonight. I accept he is not Aguero etc but i don't accept that tonight was typical of him. He is currently not at his level, even if his level is still below what we would ideally have and have had in Van Persie Henry etc.

I suppose my point is to keep the faith with what we have, we have a really f**king good team and I believe that if an upgrade to Giroud Arteta etc is available then Wenger will get it done. If not we get the very best out of what we have. And we have plenty.

Sign me up to this "reality" please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The midfield is looking a shambles at the moment. Poor performance tonight. Was I imagining it, or did we try and play through the middle all evening? Have we forgotten about the wings and crossing the ball. Sagna is only gone five minutes. We are in danger of going out of the CL....make no mistake, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Can anyone remember that last time Cazorla had a good game? I remember him scoring a few important goals but I can't remember the last time he actually had a good game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

farna_boy wrote: »
    Can anyone remember that last time Cazorla had a good game? I remember him scoring a few important goals but I can't remember the last time he actually had a good game?

10 days ago. Short memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What I would like to see on sat

Scez
    Debuchy. Kos. Mert. Monreal
    Chambers. Ramsey
    Alexis. Ozil. Ox.
    Sanogo

What I think we will see

Scez
    Debuchy. Kos. Mert. Monreal
    Wilshere. Ramsey.
    Alexis. Ozil. Cazorla.
    Giroud.

I would start sanogo cause of his pace and threat in behind, Everton won't sit back and they will be space

Also think we could see flamini in the middle with jack on the left

Hope we don't though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

farna_boy wrote: »

thats probably a bit harsh i'm sure theres been plenty of good performances & he was nearly worth the 15m for the free kick in the fa cup final alone

though the one i remember is west ham away, boxing day i think, around xmas anyway. playing in the middle.
    he'd be better used in rotation with ozil in the 10 role.
    he's wasted on the left i feel. offers no width or pace. drifts inside a lot - though that's actually why he's played there.

lots on the thread think once walcotts back, it'll be him & sanchez playing wide, is that really going to happen? i know it's only 3 games but if that style was going to happen would ox or even campbell not have played wide, there's no reason to wait for walcott specifically, is there?
    ox is probably more tactically disciplined than walcott as well so would balance it a bit better.

btw that was the first CL playoff game arsenal failed to win, lets hope its the last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Raf32 wrote: »

Jesus you really are a negative man. Are you sure you're actually an Arsenal fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

My personal thoughts on last nights game.

Giroud was absolutely woeful, ineffectual, tired and he was bullied of the game. Worst day ever in an Arsenal shirt.

While Sanchez looked lively his delivery and passing was off, and I spent more time looking for where he actually was on the pitch.

Chambers was excellent, some of his tackling and reading of the game was superb, fair play to the lad, I wouldn't have had any bottle like that at 19.

Szczesny put in a good performance with two very good saves (yes, I include the first one) they weren't routine, and in the air and catching was terrific.

Debuchy was very lively and got into good positions to really threaten Besiktas, but he left gaps in his position as players were confused to what was happening i.e. Chambers moving left Arteta dropping to CB caused a lot of confusion between Chambers and Arteta and gave them a lot of space.

Game by game, I'm really starting to lose faith in Wilshere, his distribution was very poor and he kept getting himself in to bad situations.

I'm really looking forward to the Germans coming back as I feel we really need Ozil at this time and the commanding presence of Mertesacker which is a shame because if he comes back it means dropping either the two superb Chambers and Koscielny.

Much improvement needed for Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I cant wait for Ozil to come back, we've lacked creativity and have been very predictable the opening two games.

Jesus you really are a negative man. Are you sure you're actually an Arsenal fan?

He's just being realistic, he's an Arsenal fan that doesn't mean he has to be blinded and keep his "negative" opinions to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

He's just being realistic, he's an Arsenal fan that doesn't mean he has to be blinded and keep his "negative" opinions to himself.

He's not being realistic. Read the post i quoted, he's being overly pessimistic. Like every other post he makes here.
    We get it, he doesn't rate Giroud or Arteta. Every single post. Try saying something positive every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Choice between a top CF and top DM I think I'd take the CF.

A DM for me. I'd like to see Alexis and Campbell tried up top, we have the options up front to play with a front three containing serious pace and skill.

I'm not overly confident on Arteta or Flamini playing the DM role all season.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The midfield is looking a shambles at the moment. Poor performance tonight. Was I imagining it, or did we try and play through the middle all evening? Have we forgotten about the wings and crossing the ball. Sagna is only gone five minutes. We are in danger of going out of the CL....make no mistake, IMO.

Although it's early days Debuchy for me already looks an upgrade on Sagna.

I cant wait for Ozil to come back, we've lacked creativity and have been very predictable the opening two games.

Agreed I think we will look a much bigger threat once Ozil returns and regains match fitness.

Not only does he keep the ball moving and rarely loose possession he also helps free up space for the likes of Ramsey to run into.

I'm just intrigued to see what front three we line up ahead of him once everyone returns.

• Advertisement

As much as I would love a front three of Walcott Sanchez and ox

I would feel very very sorry for the fullbacks cause they won't get any protection

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jesus lads I normally take a break from here when we lose but I didnt think I would have to consider it for away draws in Turkey in the CL.

Calm the fcuk down we are only 2 competitive games into the season after a WC.

He's not being realistic. Read the post i quoted, he's being overly pessimistic. Like every other post he makes here.
    We get it, he doesn't rate Giroud or Arteta. Every single post. Try saying something positive every now and again.

He said he wants Chambers to play (That's positive) and said he doesn't want flamini getting booked/sent off which is a very reasonable thing to say.

He doesn't like Giroud? i'm not his biggest fan either, that's ok you know, just because we support Arsenal doesn't mean we have to be happy with every player and pretend that they are better than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Early doors I know but Chambers looks like a cracking signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

After reflection on last night I am changing my mind about needing a CF and I tend to agree with those that a DM/Holding Midfielder should be a priority for AW with a CF a secondary one.

Giroud was muck last night but I believe in Sanchez and Campbell we have two very able and skillful forward players. I really don't know what to make of Sanogo yet, hopefully he can get a few competitive goals and kick on.

I'm really hoping that Ozil starts off brightly when he gets back into the team because Santi has really been poor for the first couple of games.

Wilshire is trying too hard, he is trying for the spectacular all the time or is running into players and getting dispossessed too easily. He needs to try and play it simple.

Sanchez looks like he could be a real superstar for us. He is bit off with his passing but that should correct itself as he gets used to playing with his new team mates. Really looking forward to him and Ozil forming an understanding.

Chambers has been a revelation so far. Made a couple of mistakes last night but on the whole put in a very mature and accomplished performance. Might be an option to play the holding midfielder role if we don't sign anyone.

Debuchy has played well and tbh is a more than able replacement for Sagna and seems to offer better service when he is on the attack (the only drawback is it leaves us more exposed). I can see him getting silly yellows though as well.

I can't call the match at the weekend. At the moment I think it could go anyway. Obviously I hope we get the win. If the team play to their strengths next Wednesday then I cannot see past a win for us, and it should be a win by at least two goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I really hope Wenger has something up his sleeve for deadline day.

Has he really addressed any of the issues from last season?

No DM and no cf, two positions we really need an upgrade.

It just seems like every season where we are 2 signings away from genuine contenders.

Three years and we still haven't addressed the cf position.

Think we're overrating Campbell a bit in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

I don't believe so at all! He needs to be unleashed as a CF. He'll be a great signing for us. Maybe even the next Henry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

DenMan wrote: »
    I don't believe so at all! He needs to be unleashed as a CF. He'll be a great signing for us. Maybe even the next Henry!

Where are you getting that from? I have seen nothing to think that.

Campbell is at best a very promising young player. Ox is a little bit older but he is streets ahead of Campbell.

• Advertisement

I don't think so.

I think most like myself were very impressed with him in the World Cup including most pundits and he has been on loan playing Champions League football.

No one is over rating him just most have seen enough of him they would like to see being given a chance.

Surely you can see why there would be calls to have brought him on last night since Giroud was having such a poor game?

jonny666 wrote: »

Campbell is at best a very promising young player. Ox is a little bit older but he is streets ahead of Campbell.

I wouldn't say streets ahead what are you basing that on?

From what I've seen so far from the two I'd say Campbell is more able to spot a pass right now than Ox and I highly rate Ox.

If thinking Giroud and Arteta arent good enough to win the league and preferring Chambers at DM to flamini ( red card liability waiting to happen) doesnt make me an arsenal fan, then im surely not one. Its an opinion based board. Id actually rate Arteta a lot higher than most but cant have him and Giroud starting for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arteta based on last seasons performance should only be a squad player for us. He shouldn't be in the starting 11, he doesn't have the legs any longer for the tier 1 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

jonny666 wrote: »

Plenty of pace, good positioning, started his career as a winger, makes assists and has an eye for goal! He shoots every opportunity he gets when near the goal! Plenty of grounds for optimism here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think so.

I think most like myself were very impressed with him in the World Cup including most pundits and he has been on loan playing Champions League football.

No one is over rating him just most have seen enough of him they would like to see being given a chance.

Surely you can see why there would be calls to have brought him on last night since Giroud was having such a poor game?

With due respect because he's a young player with not a huge amount of experience.

Maybe he deserves a 'chance' but last night was absolutely not the time or place to be giving chances.

Campbell might do something but Giroud was the more cautious option, which is OK given the game.

Would Campbell and Sanchez together be aware of their defensive responsibilities? We conceded an awful goal from a corner on the weekend and I think it's no coincidence that Giroud and Mert were missing and Szcz looked panicked at organising the defenders.

Giroud will be the scapegoat for everything including Fabregas having a good game it seems. Like someone said he's a 12 million player playing like a 12 million player.

It's mad to have him as our only striking option. Before anyone says anything Sanogo, Walcott and Campbell are totally totally unproven as lone strikers, except Sanogo who's proven he actually can't score.

The heart of te problem is that there's no competition for Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

gosplan wrote: »

This. We don't necessarily need a cavani but for the love of god we need a CF to challenge Giroud. Someone to make him look over his shoulder and realise if he's not performing then it's bench time.

With due respect because he's a young player with not a huge amount of experience.

Maybe he deserves a 'chance' but last night was absolutely not the time or place to be giving chances.

Campbell might do something but Giroud was the more cautious option, which is OK given the game.

Would Campbell and Sanchez together be aware of their defensive responsibilities? We conceded an awful goal from a corner on the weekend and I think it's no coincidence that Giroud and Mert were missing and Szcz looked panicked at organising the defenders.

Giroud will be the scapegoat for everything including Fabregas having a good game it seems. Like someone said he's a 12 million player playing like a 12 million player.

It's mad to have him as our only striking option. Before anyone says anything Sanogo, Walcott and Campbell are totally totally unproven as lone strikers, except Sanogo who's proven he actually can't score.

While i wholeheartedly agree with most of the sentiments here, although there isn't a cavani/Suarez like striker at the club to give Giroud the fear of missing out, surely playing Campbell/walcott/sanchez in the middle role would give Giroud reason to believe his position is in doubt.

Simply playing Giroud even when he is in poor form and fitness just because he's Giroud is very close minded of Wenger or anyone else, Campbell may not be a proven striker but he was the better option last night, as was Ox over Carzola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Can everyone cool their jets on Campbell a bit. It's the same as every team in the planet, if you're that good you will get your chance.

11 goals in 43 games in Greece last year suggest that the second coming of Pele he is not. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be a great player but the knee jerks in here are so severe.

10 days ago Giroud scored a cracker and everyone was singing his praises. Last night we saw him at his worst to be fair and now he's a liability and worthless.

He is what he is, he will get 20 goals this season. Put him on a massive, lumpy pitch and isolate him from his team mates he will look sh1t. Them's the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

What's peoples thoughts about Song coming back

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dinorebel wrote: »

I have no problem with him coming back to England as long as it isn't to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I didn't see the game last night, from the talk here the last few hours I'll take that it was a poor performance.

I am not surprised from a bad form of some players at this stage, and it might take a couple of more weeks before the team starts performing well. At this stage the important thing is to keep getting results. I will happily take 1-0 (hell, even 0.5 - 0 :D ) victories against Everton and Besiktas. The important thing is to keep getting points.

I am mostly worried about the injuries. . . again. Didn't we just bring in one of the best fitness trainers there is? Sure it's still early days but I would expect a bit of improvement. Two injuries (even mild ones, like Gibbs) is not a good sign. Hopefully things will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dinorebel wrote: »

probably upsurge a dog eating it's own shít as the most disgusting thing i've seen

But see he has experience probably more than most our young players he played Champions League football and in a world cup how much more experience could he have for his age really? Most our young players haven't even done as much.

I'm not saying he's the messiah but deserves a chance and has done more than enough to be given a chance when Giroud is having a poor game.

I do agree with a lot of what you say it's criminal that we have a lack of competition for Giroud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think eto is a good option, bit of competition for giroud.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Can everyone cool their jets on Campbell a bit. It's the same as every team in the planet, if you're that good you will get your chance.

11 goals in 43 games in Greece last year suggest that the second coming of Pele he is not. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be a great player but the knee jerks in here are so severe.

10 days ago Giroud scored a cracker and everyone was singing his praises. Last night we saw him at his worst to be fair and now he's a liability and worthless.

He is what he is, he will get 20 goals this season. Put him on a massive, lumpy pitch and isolate him from his team mates he will look sh1t. Them's the breaks.

Campbell played on the wing last season ;).

I don't think most lost the run of themselves over Girouds goal last week just as I dont think most label him worthless.

Most agree we could do be better and we need another option we have seen Sanogo when Giroud is playing poor why not at least try something else instead of being closed off to the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

No thanks. Big wages and over the hill.

If we're to get someone for the sake of it it may as well be someone young and hungry

Eto is muck, he proved last season he's not capable of playing top level football anymore.

If he wasnt injured and we could get him for 15 million, id love Benteke. at least then we have proper competition for giroud and we start whoever is on better form.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How about that guy at QPR, Remy I think he's called :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think everyone here wants to see Campbell given a chance but some have run away with themselves about how good he actually is. He is young and learning and should be a squad player given a chance to develop. Putting him in last night during an important away games to qualify for the CL was not the way to go, last night needed solid, dependable, experienced players to get the job done and whilst the performance wasnt great 0-0 away in Turkey shouldnt be sniffed at.

I sky plus'd the game last night and knew the score before I watched it and tbh it was no where near as bad as it was made out on here.

We'll all never agree on Giroud, tbh I can't even get myself to the point where I am definately on either side of the fence but this season will give all the answers we need.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement