Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Can everyone cool their jets on Campbell a bit. It's the same as every team in the planet, if you're that good you will get your chance.

11 goals in 43 games in Greece last year suggest that the second coming of Pele he is not. Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be a great player but the knee jerks in here are so severe.

10 days ago Giroud scored a cracker and everyone was singing his praises. Last night we saw him at his worst to be fair and now he's a liability and worthless.

He is what he is, he will get 20 goals this season. Put him on a massive, lumpy pitch and isolate him from his team mates he will look sh1t. Them's the breaks.

It's not as simple as if you're that good you'll play, hundreds of players are held back every year, most you would never hear/know about for obvious reasons.

11 goals in 43 games for a young kid playing on the wing in Greece, that's fairly impressive if you ask me, nobody is suggesting he's going to become Pele nor is anyone overrating him hence the cry for another striker.

Giroud scored a good goal so he got praise, what's your point? that is what happens when someone scores a cracker. It didn't change anyone's mind on him, if you play bad people will talk about it, if you play well people will talk about it.

"he will get 20 goals this season." I will hold you to that and hope you're correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

It's not as simple as if you're that good you'll play, hundreds of players are held back every year, most you would never hear/know about for obvious reasons.

11 goals in 43 games for a young kid playing on the wing in Greece, that's fairly impressive if you ask me, nobody is suggesting he's going to become Pele nor is anyone overrating him hence the cry for another striker.

Giroud scored a good goal so he got praise, what's your point? that is what happens when someone scores a cracker. It didn't change anyone's mind on him, if you play bad people will talk about it, if you play well people will talk about it.

"he will get 20 goals this season." I will hold you to that and hope you're correct.

He got 20 last season. Whats not to think he'll do the same again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I didn't see the game last night, from the talk here the last few hours I'll take that it was a poor performance.

I am not surprised from a bad form of some players at this stage, and it might take a couple of more weeks before the team starts performing well. At this stage the important thing is to keep getting results. I will happily take 1-0 (hell, even 0.5 - 0 :D ) victories against Everton and Besiktas. The important thing is to keep getting points.

I am mostly worried about the injuries. . . again. Didn't we just bring in one of the best fitness trainers there is? Sure it's still early days but I would expect a bit of improvement. Two injuries (even mild ones, like Gibbs) is not a good sign. Hopefully things will get better.

He has been there 3/4 weeks way to early for him to have an impact

jonny666 wrote: »
    He got 20 last season. Whats not to think he'll do the same again?

That's what you're using? he got 20 last season so that means he'll get 20 again, that's not how it works, all we can do is wait and see, if he bags 20 laugh in my face, i'll laugh with you.

That's what you're using? he got 20 last season so that means he'll get 20 again, that's not how it works, all we can do is wait and see, if he bags 20 laugh in my face, i'll laugh with you.

I wont be laughing at anyone.

What are you basing him not scoring 20 on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While i wholeheartedly agree with most of the sentiments here, although there isn't a cavani/Suarez like striker at the club to give Giroud the fear of missing out, surely playing Campbell/walcott/sanchez in the middle role would give Giroud reason to believe his position is in doubt.

Simply playing Giroud even when he is in poor form and fitness just because he's Giroud is very close minded of Wenger or anyone else, Campbell may not be a proven striker but he was the better option last night, as was Ox over Carzola.

Agree but we're only lauding them as options because Giroud isn't as effective as we'd like.

IIRC the main proponent of Walcott as a striker was Walcott himself. I think we tried it once or twice but it never worked. He will provide a huge threat when he comes back though.

We don't know about Campbell. A decent season in Greece as a winger and a World Cup where players like Tim Cahill performed as well tells us nothing. Wenger sees him in training and makes a judgement that I trust.

We need a better striker than Giroud. It's like City signed Jovetic but no-one else. I think Wenger's going to wait till an Ageuro becomes available as we don't have infinite resources like City and there's little point signing a Giroud level player when we have one.

For people complaining about not mounting a challenge, I think we will fall short unless Wally really adds a lot and stays fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No thanks. Big wages and over the hill.

If we're to get someone for the sake of it it may as well be someone young and hungry

He would obviously take a cut in wages seems he said he would love to play for arsenal.

He would be a bit of competition for giroud, great experience too.

He was messed around and personally abused by José.

I wont be laughing at anyone.

What are you basing him not scoring 20 on?

Laugh in happiness of course, his lack of clinical finishing, lack of pace and way too much hold up play bottled in with a poor pre-season and Sanchez/Walcott/Campbell and even Sanogo now to play through the middle/share the goals.

Campbell played on the wing last season ;).

I don't think most lost the run of themselves over Girouds goal last week just as I dont think most label him worthless.

Most agree we could do be better and we need another option we have seen Sanogo when Giroud is playing poor why not at least try something else instead of being closed off to the idea.

I agree with you Marty I just think that with 20/30 mins to go away in a hellish but crucial game, Campbell up front would change how we play, our shape and how we defend.

Just way too much to try last night. For me Wenger made the right call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Eto is not the way to go, full stop.

gosplan wrote: »
    IIRC the main proponent of Walcott as a striker was Walcott himself. I think we tried it once or twice but it never worked. He will provide a huge threat when he comes back though.

Tbf, the Sp*rs game where he got injured disagrees with you. He was really coming into his own as striker when he got injured imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Eto is not the way to go, full stop.

Ne another option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Satisfied but not happy with last night.

The pitch was awful (ITV HD really showed how bad it was, not so evident on TV3), the ball was bobbling everywhere, took until the second half for our players to get used to it.

The referee was awful, let too much go which meant there was always a chance that someone would get sent off late on for a foul which in the context of the game was not very serious.

Besiktas were up for it, really up for it and the crowd were very lively backing them (helped with the referee as well) but they really tired in the last 15. We would have scored then with 11 on the pitch.

We still looked a bit in pre-season mode.

Given those circumstances, a 0-0 draw was not a bad result but not a good result either.

Team-wise, Saturday, Flamini for Arteta, Mert and Ozil back in for Chambers and Wilshere (unless one of them replaces Arteta). Maybe the Ox for Cazorla to give one a rest and the other game-time before the return leg.

Ne another option?

Ah come on there are loads of others, lets not get into the name a better option debate.

Eto is 32+, would demand a serious wage and be nothing more than a back up with no future.

Laugh in happiness of course, his lack of clinical finishing, lack of pace and way too much hold up play bottled in with a poor pre-season and Sanchez/Walcott/Campbell and even Sanogo now to play through the middle/share the goals.

But he has had these problems last season as well.

Giroud has a lot of bad point but he has good points as well. Id love an upgrade as much as anyone but I jsut dont think they are out there. Spending 20 - 30 million isnt going to get us much of an upgrade either. We are talking 40 to 50million.

If we got a center back and some sort of holding midfield player Id be very happy with our business. The goals will be spread around.

• Advertisement

Giroud has a lot of bad point but he has good points as well. Id love an upgrade as much as anyone but I jsut dont think they are out there. Spending 20 - 30 million isnt going to get us much of an upgrade either. We are talking 40 to 50million.

If we got a center back and some sort of holding midfield player Id be very happy with our business. The goals will be spread around.

Personally I think Sanchez is going to used out wide this season and gradually molded into out CF for next season, maybe even later this season of all goes well

Of course he does, there are times where he works his socks off, he has a quality to him, sometimes he's so slick and everything comes off for him, he CAN finish and his hold up play is great (although not suited as a lone striker).

Money is irrelevant, if Wenger wants to sign someone worth 50mil the money is there for him, and there are options, again i don't want to get into the name game but there are options out there Wenger is just too hesitant and stubborn to take a gamble.

I would like 2 cbs but yeah a cb and dmf would make me a happy boy, prem champs? possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2015/clubs/club=52280/squad/index.html

Here is UEFA list from last night.

Szczesny, Martinez, Macey, Debuchy, Gibbs, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Chambers, Miquel, Rosicky, Arteta, Wilshere, Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Flamini, Diaby, Coquelin, Zelalem. Podolski, Giroud, Sanchez, Sanogo, Campbell are the 25 List A players on the list (Macey, Sanogo, Chambers and Zelalem, not long enough at the club to be List B U-21?).

Szczesny, Martinez, Gibbs, Miquel, Wilshere, Ramsey, Coquelin and ???(does Chambers three years at Southampton count??) are the home-grown players???

Ospina and Walcott will come into the 25, presumably instead of Macey and Coquelin/Miquel.

Assuming the other one of Coquelin/Miquel can be left out, along with Zelalem, that means one homegrown signing and one overseas can be made without selling/loaning anyone significant. Given that Song is considered homegrown at Arsenal, the rumours about him may have some foundation. An overseas centre-half as well (Manolas) would round it off.

A loan for Campbell or Sanogo (most likely one to go) or a sale of Podolski would make the signing of a Cavani (unlikely) possible.

U-21 players, Bellerin, Hayen, The Ox and Gnabry make our 25 into a 29. None of the rest are likely to get anywhere near a first-team start (maybe not even Capital Once cup) even in an injury crisis.

P.S. Where is Ryo?

P.P.S. Here are the regulations if anyone wants to have a go at figuring out about the U-21s on List A.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/09/88/17/2098817_DOWNLOAD.pdf

"A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1993
    and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted
    period of two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with
    UEFA. Players aged 16 may be registered on List B if they have been
    registered with the participating club for the previous two years without
    interruption."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hope Podolski starts sat, would give us something different. Will hit one with that rocket left foot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My thoughts on the match:

Nil all away in a hostile environment is acceptable.

Pitch was dire, once the ball came into contact with it, it's path just couldn't be predicted. As Arsenal are a team that play on the ground rather than in the air, this didn't suit us.

Referee was also dire, seemed to try to let the game flow, but all it did was invite silly tackles, and once they start occurring, it's only a matter of time before the yellows are flowing for everything.

The entire team looked rusty. Several things leaped out at me, where it seems like players just aren't on the same page. Passes behind players, passes to places where there is no-one, all these sort of things suggest to me that the team haven't gotten used to each others flow yet.

In particular, Giroud had a nightmare game. Nothing seemed to go right for him, and his head seemed to drop during the second half. Again, he was doing little flicks that would have opened the defence up, but no one was there. Again, just more time training should sort that.

The substitutions were unusual I thought. Taking off Alexis while Girouds head had already dropped was strange. Is there a possibility that Wenger went to Turkey with a plan to grind out a low stress draw, with an eye on Everton at the weekend?

All in all, not a bad result,not a great result.

We still need to strengthen in places, including CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I'm starting to get the feeling that it will be a few games before everyone is back up to speed including Giroud and the Germans. I also don't expect the team to click properly until we are a month or two in and that was partially why Sanchez was taken off and Ox was brought on last night.

Sanchez was playing well and getting more into the game but it was an individual performance as he still has not had any serious game time with the rest of the team. Given the importance of last nights match, I'd say Wenger thought that Ox and Giroud might be able to deliver with some team work. Saying that, I would have thought Cazorla should have come off instead of Sanchez but I can only imagine Wenger was hoping that familiarity would generate a goal.

I would be all for giving Campbell and whoever else a chance, but I would prefer not to have two or three "new" players who haven't played with each other or the rest of the team on the pitch at the same time, especially in important matches.

Any word on Arteta? we are an injury to giroud away from flamini and yaya being starters

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    Any word on Arteta? we are an injury to giroud away from flamini and yaya being starters

What's with the random Flamini dislike, he's barely played yet this season and was solid last season?

Not being afraid to get stuck in and break up play at the expense of a card is what he usually gets praised for around these parts.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What's with the random Flamini dislike, he's barely played yet this season and was solid last season?

Not being afraid to get stuck in and break up play at the expense of a card is what he usually gets praised for around these parts.

Just dont trust him. Liable to get carded at any time, picked up a card as a sub every time he has came on recently. Just worried his poor discipline could lead to a red or giving away a set piece in a dangerous area.

I dislike Flamini myself, he lacks any creativity isn't a solid passer, lacks vision and intent. He is slow and reckless, really reckless, Rosicky is a fantastic tackler (slide) and will always break up the play at the expense of a yellow, but that's it a yellow no more, never gets sent off and never makes stupid injury threatening tackles like Flamini does. If he could control his tackles move the ball better and just generally look more convincing i would be happy with him but as it is i don't rate him.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just dont trust him. Liable to get carded at any time, picked up a card as a sub every time he has came on recently. Just worried his poor discipline could lead to a red or giving away a set piece in a dangerous area.

I like Flamini because well I enjoy that style of player.

But I agree on the trust thing, the problem with Flamini is that he is very good until he gets the card and then he either drops out of games or runs the risk of red. I always find he starts great puts it about but then commits an early yellow.

Great squad player and can do his job but I get the trust thing big time

I dislike Flamini myself, he lacks any creativity isn't a solid passer, lacks vision and intent. He is slow and reckless, really reckless, Rosicky is a fantastic tackler (slide) and will always break up the play at the expense of a yellow, but that's it a yellow no more, never gets sent off and never makes stupid injury threatening tackles like Flamini does. If he could control his tackles move the ball better and just generally look more convincing i would be happy with him but as it is i don't rate him.

I think thats overly harsh, he has a lot of the traits needed for a good DM, its the wrecklessness and trust he needs to improve or learn how to be more effective when he has the yellow.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think thats overly harsh, he has a lot of the traits needed for a good DM, its the wrecklessness and trust he needs to improve or learn how to be more effective when he has the yellow.

Maybe, it's just my opinion, i mean if he was good enough for us why did we get him on a free? why was nobody else interested why does he have 3 caps for france? etc.

Maybe, it's just my opinion, i mean if he was good enough for us why did we get him on a free? why was nobody else interested why does he have 3 caps for france? etc.

I don't like him cause I don't think he gives 100%

Last season before a free agent - awesome player

On massive wages - average

Looking for a new contract - comes to 'train' with us and plays so well, there's no choice but to sign him up

Signed up with us - form drops off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I like the Flamster but again he is only a squad player. We should have someone better as the 1st choice in the DM position.

Flamini is very effective when he doesn't get an early yellow card. He got carded within 3 minutes of coming on last night for a silly foul. Typically after an early yellow as has already been said he disappears from the game or does something stupid and gets sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

gandalf wrote: »
    I like the Flamster but again he is only a squad player. We should have someone better as the 1st choice in the DM position.

Does Arteta not have that position locked down now that hes captain though? I cant see us signing any 1st team DM, a squad player is who we'll go for.

I really think we'll see Chambers in Arteta's place on Saturday.

If he plays well there, and Arteta's out for a couple of weeks, Arteta could really be the new captain, like TV5 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Does Arteta not have that position locked down now that hes captain though? I cant see us signing any 1st team DM, a squad player is who we'll go for.

I would hope not, the bloke is so average it's unbelievable

I really think we'll see Chambers in Arteta's place on Saturday.

If he plays well there, and Arteta's out for a couple of weeks, Arteta could really be the new captain, like TV5 last year.

Would like to see him get a shot there, he's been a revelation.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

What i think is unbelievable is the amount of stick the bloke gets. He's far from so average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Bloody hell. I would recommend having a look around the premier league at some of the midfielders that start for other teams, compare them to Arteta. He is anything but average. Not a top DM for sure, but hardly average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Didn't stop Wenger dropping Verm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Kirby wrote: »
    Bloody hell. I would recommend having a look around the premier league at some of the midfielders that start for other teams, compare them to Arteta. He is anything but average. Not a top DM for sure, but hardly average.

Ok let me clarify for a side that argrubly should be pushing for a top 2 finish at the least he is very average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

By now even the dogs in the street know, we're lightest and shortest in the league. If anyone wanted a proof here it is

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/graphic-chelsea-are-the-tallest-arsenal-the-shortest-on-opening-pl-weekend-daily-mail/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

9 pages since I last read the thread.
    Did something important happen I wonder?
    Can't wait to find out so here goes. :D

Don't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I get the Campbell love i really do, he has great spirit and tenacity about him and he has obvious quality, but i can't help thinking that we are falling into the same trap fans of other teams also fall into!
    For example Utd fans at various stages last season were crying out for Kagawa and Hernandez to start games when they were on the bench for a run of matches when results were not good. Ultimately they got some games and were no better.

The reality is that if Campbell or anyone else is good enough then they will play it is as simple as that.

No player has left Arsenal for bigger and better things after not getting their chance with us.
    The difference is that Kagawa has got chance after chance to shine at Utd and hasn't delivered whereas Campbell hasn't had that chance yet.

My own opinion on last nights game was it was just one of those nights, the pitch was absolutely horrendous so it was near impossible to get the ball down and play it on the deck, Giroud was poor but every time the lad has a bad game the knives are out on here which is very unfair on him, although I do agree that he is isn't good enough to be leading the line for us. Chambers was outstanding I must say a very cool head on young shoulders I think Wenger has unearthed a real gem here, this lad looks like he has it all.

The way some are going on about last nights game you would swear we got thumped, it wasn't an ideal result but decent under the circumstance as Turkey is a tough place to go and get a result and I was impressed with Besiktas, Bilic has them well drilled and playing decent football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

well, I guess hope dies last, tayto!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

By now even the dogs in the street know, we're lightest and shortest in the league. If anyone wanted a proof here it is

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/graphic-chelsea-are-the-tallest-arsenal-the-shortest-on-opening-pl-weekend-daily-mail/

well, that in itself doesn't say much.
    The important thing for me is: how you turn this into an advantage?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't equate Kagawa to Campbell at all, he was a key player for a back to back title winning team in one of the biggest leagues in Europe, Campbell has a bit more to prove imo though I personally think he deserves a chance at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well, that in itself doesn't say much.
    The important thing for me is: how you turn this into an advantage?

It doesn't say anything, as it puts Chelsea on a par with QPR its just irrelevant statistical page filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus sake.:eek::eek:
    Where's me feckin' Xanex?

Jaysus sake.:eek::eek:
    Where's me feckin' Xanex?

Page 216 lick post 4

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Lads,quick question regards getting Arsenal tickets for away games.

Can someone give me the lowdown for someone who is not a member. I checked one Englishwebsite and for the away section at Anfield tickets are currently

Going for 250 pounds. Liverpool v Arsenal is currently scheduled for Saturday 20th3pm but you would imagine this will turn into a Sunday 4pm KO game.

Any help is appreciated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement