Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

The Iceman - what I wouldn't give to have him in our team these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Nothing like coming to the Arsenal thread and seen some putting down of our players by our fan's. We are the most negative bunch, even after the F.A Cup win people were moaning :D.

Imagine if we won the PL "We didn't win it with enough goals and too any draws" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Looper007 wrote: »
    Nothing like coming to the Arsenal thread and seen some putting down of our players by our fan's. We are the most negative bunch, even after the F.A Cup win people were moaning :D.

Imagine if we won the PL "We didn't win it with enough goals and too any draws" :D

What's wrong with this?? Seriously? They played poor so we are entitled to discuss that. When we win the league or CL then we can say wow we were so great.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    The Iceman - what I wouldn't give to have him in our team these days...

My all time favourite player for Arsenal.

I wished we had Messi, Ronaldo and Mueller up Front. Ain't happening so get behind our team, we are two games into the season and we are already hearing many writing us off and wishing ex older players back. Come on guys, lets be positive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

itsjaybud wrote: »

Lads,quick question regards getting Arsenal tickets for away games.

Can someone give me the lowdown for someone who is not a member. I checked one Englishwebsite and for the away section at Anfield tickets are currently

Going for 250 pounds. Liverpool v Arsenal is currently scheduled for Saturday 20th3pm but you would imagine this will turn into a Sunday 4pm KO game.

Any help is appreciated.

If you're not a club member it won't be easy to get away tickets unless you apply to the home club. Some clubs will refuse to sell you tickets depending on your home location & might cancel online bookings.

Going in home sections at away games is usually OK as long as you don't go completely over the top celebrating any Arsenal goals. Some home fans might not be so friendly as others, particularly close rivals. :pac:

Most of the time you'll be OK though. I've done it countless times but always been respectful to the home support, many home fans have even shaken hands at end of games, the ticket money goes to their club after all.

An odd away game goes on general sale but it's very rare, perhaps night games in the League Cup past the Midlands depending on the home clubs ground capacity.

What's wrong with this?? Seriously? They played poor so we are entitled to discuss that. When we win the league or CL then we can say wow we were so great.

But you would complain Bob

But it's constant even if we went out and beat City, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spures all in a row. You would still be complaining, we are two games into a long season. Players are only getting back into match shape and you are already out with the knives. Mid way through a season if they are playing badly then get stuck in but only two games in (we haven't been beaten yet) so just relax on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

My all time favourite player for Arsenal.

I wished we had Messi, Ronaldo and Mueller up Front. Ain't happening so get behind our team, we are two games into the season and we are already hearing many writing us off and wishing ex older players back. Come on guys, lets be positive :pac:

Ha, I'm not writing anybody off, just a hark back to the days of us sitting pretty at the top of the league and playing brilliant football.

All in all I don't get the doom and gloom on display in this thread since the season has begun. The transfer window is still open, and there is a feeling from the more respected lads on twitter with all things Arsenal, that Wenger is not finished with the transfer business just yet.

Last night there were one or two culprits guilty of giving me a banging head against wall sensation - Giroud and Ramsey. But it was only our 2nd game of the season. It's going to take a while for the new arrivals and the lads coming back from the WC to click. Granted we don't have a lot of time for the new lads to bed in, but I'm hopeful that we can get the show back onto the road starting at Goodison Park this weekend. What we need now is a bit of patience and in the hope that Wenger gets the chequebook out again, and a bit more support for the lads on the pitch.

But you would complain Bob

But it's constant even if we went out and beat City, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spures all in a row. You would still be complaining, we are two games into a long season. Players are only getting back into match shape and you are already out with the knives. Mid way through a season if they are playing badly then get stuck in but only two games in (we haven't been beaten yet) so just relax on them.

Me? The only thing i "complained about" was Giroud and Cazorla's performance last night just like everyone else did. Why are you being so defensive? you'd swear the players were readin our comments and getting down on themselves.

Criticism is fine i thought that's what this was all about? We get to discuss our team and players and express our opinions, hell if it was how you wanted it the thread would read:

Poster 1: Wow that was an unlucky 6-0 loss we played really well i'm so happy.

Poster 2: Yeah definitively i thought Giroud missing that open goal was all down to the wind we'll get the next season chin up guys :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I think without a DM purchase of the mould of Schneiderlin this window that we will be limiting ourselves this season in the big games and probable be overrun as last season demonstrated.

Arteta is great, just not the type of holding player we need - can anyone mention a game where he completely dominated a number 10 in that position? I cannot. I crave for a player who can do that for us again.

With no signing I would be in favor of giving Chambers a shot at it. He has shown composure and strength so far with us and also not too bad at reading the game. Good attributes for the position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Him or Sami K by the end of the window IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Happy days!
    But sure of course he'd get sent off the day I get the bloody thing! :pac:

WsMzsFF.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for putting a coin in for scale anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

HazDanz wrote: »
    I think without a DM purchase of the mould of Schneiderlin this window that we will be limiting ourselves this season in the big games and probable be overrun as last season demonstrated.

Arteta is great, just not the type of holding player we need - can anyone mention a game where he completely dominated a number 10 in that position? I cannot. I crave for a player who can do that for us again.

With no signing I would be in favor of giving Chambers a shot at it. He has shown composure and strength so far with us and also not too bad at reading the game. Good attributes for the position.

I know Schneiderlin is one of the flavors of the month with the media but from what I saw of him so far I genuinely dont think he is a big improvement on Arteta.

He is a good player, I am just not convinced he is better at what we need that Arteta is

Bob you were not around at the time but this time last year Looper was the biggest moanest pain in the ass on here and one day he just changed.

No he is the opposite, you should look at some of his older posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Soups123 wrote: »
    I know Schneiderlin is one of the flavors of the month with the media but from what I saw of him so far I genuinely dont think he is a big improvement on Arteta.

He is a good player, I am just not convinced he is better at what we need that Arteta is

I think there is a lof of 'the grass is greener' going on. Not just Arsenal fans either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

La Gazetta saying its between us and Bayern for Veratti of PSG. Brilliant player but not what we need. Think people are trying to put 2 & 2 together thinking Di Maria may join PSG

Bob you were not around at the time but this time last year Looper was the biggest moanest pain in the ass on here and one day he just changed.

No he is the opposite, you should look at some of his older posts :)

Ha cheers for the heads up.

I actually just wanted to say that since joining 2-3 months ago i've really enjoyed being able to discuss Arsenal with people. Not 1 of my mates support Arsenal and arguing/disagreeing etc aside even though i secretly like that, it's just been great to hear others opinions and share some happiness and despair (haha so gay) with fellow Gooners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How did Southampton not win the league last year with all these top players that are improving everybody or will improve them if purchased.

• Advertisement

Alvaro Morata got injured in the first training session and Juve are on the lookout for another striker...Thank be Jaysus, Wenger didn't sign him...

"The Italian club are looking for a forward after new signing Alvaro Morata was injured in his first training session with the club" - BBCSport

The point I was trying to make is that the type of player Arteta is in his current position is not really what the team needs based off of away performances last season.

Personally I would prefer a strong, imposing player, who can stop runners going through the middle and then be able to have the power to initiate a counter attack through the middle.

I feel like we have a soft centre with Arteta there. At this stage with the players in front of him, the team really should be aspiring to have someone more imposing now to match our ambitions.

Case in point you face Yaya Toure any team facing him goes "oh ****". Facing Arteta from an opposition attacking point of view he doesn't really spark intimdation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Alvaro Morata got injured in the first training session and Juve are on the lookout for another striker...Thank be Jaysus, Wenger didn't sign him...

"The Italian club are looking for a forward after new signing Alvaro Morata was injured in his first training session with the club" - BBCSport

Happened over a month ago, will probably be back for the start of the Serie A season.

HazDanz wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make is that the type of player Arteta is in his current position is not really what the team needs based off of away performances last season.

Personally I would prefer a strong, imposing player, who can stop runners going through the middle and then be able to have the power to initiate a counter attack through the middle.

I feel like we have a soft centre with Arteta there. At this stage with the players in front of him, the team really should be aspiring to have someone more imposing now to match our ambitions.

Case in point you face Yaya Toure any team facing him goes "oh ****". Facing Arteta from an opposition attacking point of view he doesn't really spark intimdation.

I understand but if you think a good DM is going to fix that you are mistaken, he may cover down the middle but if everyone else doesnt pull in then we'll be hit down the flanks. A good DM doesnt fix what happen at Pool/City last year.

A better approach, better tactics and work on the fragile mentality we have, a DM is needed but fix the other 3 and use Arteta and you are 80% there

I understand but if you think a good DM is going to fix that you are mistaken, he may cover down the middle but if everyone else doesnt pull in then we'll be hit down the flanks. A good DM doesnt fix what happen at Pool/City last year.

A better approach, better tactics and work on the fragile mentality we have, a DM is needed but fix the other 3 and use Arteta and you are 80% there

Absolutely it was a team capitulation away from home last year in the games. Pool/City tactics were not great and I felt for Chelsea away tactics in particular were shocking. It wouldn't be right at all blaming it all on Arteta .

You are right change the above three and we will nearly be there. I just think if we got in a strong, calm DM, who's proven his ability in the position that it would take us to the next level. It would free Ramsey and Wilshere in front and give teams more thought when counter attacking us.

Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey are too similar, all very technical players. New DM of a different ilk, Wilshere and Ramsey would make us a more solid central midfield unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Our team on Saturday had the lowest average height and weight of any other PL team playing. Hmmm...

aYTedKc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If that was really an issue surely we'd have been relegated a long time ago. :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If that was really an issue surely we'd have been relegated a long time ago. :pac:

Nah I don't think it's that big an issue. I prefer to watch a smaller, more technical team anyway. We've had a small team for a long time now and more than held our own. You'd just wonder how much of an impact the smaller physical presence has in the big games.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Nah I don't think it's that big an issue. I prefer to watch a smaller, more technical team anyway. We've had a small team for a long time now and more than held our own. You'd just wonder how much of an impact the smaller physical presence has in the big games.

I really think the drubbings we received last year were down to mental factors rather than the physical, plus a sprinkling of naive/suicidal tactics.

I really think the drubbings we received last year were down to mental factors rather than the physical, plus a sprinkling of naive/suicidal tactics.

Yea I think you're right there. Just thinking there that we didn't have Per playing last Saturday so we probably wouldn't end up last if he was. Having Alexis starting alongside Santi didn't help the stat either :pac:

Our team on Saturday had the lowest average height and weight of any other PL team playing. Hmmm...

aYTedKc.jpg

So based on that load of tosh get your money on QPR who are both tall and heavy, so they must be great

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    So based on that load of tosh get your money on QPR who are both tall and heavy, so they must be great

Yes, that is exactly what I said in my post. Your reading comprehension skills are impressive.

salmocab wrote: »

+1 to the latter comments

Barcelona swept the board with what Gary Neville refered to as ' a team of midgets'

Arguably the real flaw in English football is the mentality of coaches at grassroots is that small lads cant look after themselves on a football field. They opt for big lugs with no technical ability over smaller more technical players. Not to say Big lads cant be technicaly brilliant ala Ibra, Zidane, Bergkamp or that small lads cant be technically useless ala Stephen Hunt

Why were are getting bullied out of games is more a case of mind other than matter. We have been bullied out of games in the past but its as much down to lack of intensity then size.

aYTedKc.jpg

It appears that Chelsea have similar priorities to a couple of Tony Pulis teams, a Sam Alerdyce team and QPR.

Remember this when we're lauding Mourinho.

He delivered titles and Roman still got rid of him because he wanted more.

That's a debate to be had - titles first or style first

But Wenge's clearly on one side so remember that before people knock him for not doing things the same as Jose. I'd be Guardolia's Barca were shorter than us.

The man has deeply ingrained football principles and he will stick to them whatever the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

What i think is unbelievable is the amount of stick the bloke gets. He's far from so average.

I have a lot of time for Arteta, he's been a fantastic servant for the club. However I'm a little concerned he's becoming a weak link due to age related issues i.e., pace. Would he start for Chelsea, city or pool? Doubt it. Still love the guy so it's a tough one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

omega man wrote: »
    I have a lot of time for Arteta, he's been a fantastic servant for the club. However I'm a little concerned he's becoming a weak link due to age related issues i.e., pace. Would he start for Chelsea, city or pool? Doubt it. Still love the guy so it's a tough one.....

He always gives 100% but he is getting slower unfortunately and his passing has become slower and a bit erratic. Not his fault but we should be aiming to replace with a better player. Same for Flamini who is not as good and a bit reckless at times.
    Both have had their day as first choice in my opinion but are still good squad members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He always gives 100% but he is getting slower unfortunately and his passing has become slower and a bit erratic. Not his fault but we should be aiming to replace with a better player. Same for Flamini who is not as good and a bit reckless at times.
    Both have had their day as first choice in my opinion but are still good squad members.

Said it before and ill say it again, one player we let go too early and never replaced was Gilberto Silva, what id give to have a player like him in our team. I think his efforts were often overlooked when he was with us but what a beast of a man one of my favourite all time players, to think we only paid a few million for him after he won a World Cup with Brazil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Arteta out for 2 weeks. (see 4-6 weeks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jaafa wrote: »

Not good at all really hope Wenger has someone lined up but if worst comes to worst I wouldn't mind seeing Chambers given a run out as DM with Merts now back.

He has really impressed me so far and settled into life at Arsenal incredibly well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jaafa wrote: »

It begins.

Just seems earlier this year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Chambers at DM seems the logical way to go with Arteta injured. I hope he tries it as opposed to just sticking with Flamini.

• Advertisement

19 year old DMF's do not exist. 2 good matches in defence mean nothing with regard to being a midfielder.

Give Flamini the two games till we get into the CL, then buy someone.

Yes, that is exactly what I said in my post. Your reading comprehension skills are impressive.

Wasn't slagging you was slagging the article bit touchy are ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

10611001_1520529654826867_1274391933_n.jpg

pires & giroud out for dinner with new boy debuchy.
    giroud couldn't finish his :pac:

I thought Pires' iPhone was a joint for a few mins there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

11 days to go most teams still have to do business

The next 11 days will have a big say in what positions teams finish

Looks like Balotelli to Liverpool is a done deal now since BBC is reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Meanwhile it looks like Lukas Podolski is on his way out.

Paj wrote: »
    Meanwhile it looks like Lukas Podolski is on his way out.

Yep, it seems Wenger is open to the transfer otherwise he would have said straight No...

** Wenger - We've had no offers for players to leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

What week did wenger say would be busy for us?

• Advertisement

Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 39m

Wenger on signings: "We are not in an emergency case but we are open to any opportunity to strengthen our defensive department." #EFCvAFC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement