Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ronan14 wrote: »
    What week did wenger say would be busy for us?

He said pretty much the start of this week until the end of the window.

I'm starting to get a bit apprehensive about signings, bit quiet. But maybe that's a good thing with us. We'll probably have to wait til close to deadline day next weekend. I remember being at EP last year and first hearing the rumours of Ozil, that was great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 39m

Wenger on signings: "We are not in an emergency case but we are open to any opportunity to strengthen our defensive department." #EFCvAFC

In other words: "We are in an emergency case, but don't want to tell anyone that in case they jack up the prices, but we're really desperate to strengthen our defensive department" #EFCvAFC

At least, that's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

CatInABox wrote: »
    In other words: "We are in an emergency case, but don't want to tell anyone that in case they jack up the prices, but we're really desperate to strengthen our defensive department" #EFCvAFC

At least, that's what I think.

+1

he is definitely not going to say we are in an emergency...
    I think Arteta injury is a blessing in disguise, it'll defo force him to sign someone there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Arteta injury is a blessing in disguise, it'll defo force him to sign someone there.

Doubt he'll buy someone just for that reason. More likely see a centre back come in and Chambers get a run there, or just start Flamini for a few games. The injury is only meant to be 2 weeks and there's only 3 matches until the international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Any word on the Manolo deal? Is it done?

• Advertisement

No word from David "Gospel" Ornstein on Manolas, so I guess it's all rags making up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not heard anything since the night of the match when he was apparently having his medical according to TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Needs to sign a defender asap. We got lucky last season with Mert and Kos staying fit as much as they did.

I think too that selling Poldi would be a massive mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can't understand why we are facing another season with Giroud as our striker.

Pretty passer, average finisher. Not good enough to lead the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So it looks like Balotelli is heading to Liverpool for £16M (€20M)
    I'll be pretty pissed if we passed him up at that price.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So it looks like Balotelli is heading to Liverpool for £16M (€20M)
    I'll be pretty pissed if we passed him p at that price.

There is absolutely 0% chance he would have passed the mentality test all the players were interested in have to take to move negotiations on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Balotelli was available all summer at a knock down price and no other team was willing to touch him

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Doubt he'll buy someone just for that reason. More likely see a centre back come in and Chambers get a run there, or just start Flamini for a few games. The injury is only meant to be 2 weeks and there's only 3 matches until the international break.

More details from his presser...

"Arteta suffered an ankle injury during Tuesday's 0-0 draw at Besiktas and had a scan on Wednesday. Wenger was awaiting the results when he attended his pre-match press conference.
    "[If he is out for a while] we will be a bit short of course," he said. "If it's a long-term injury, that puts us in a position where we have to be creative."

this could mean anything...sign someone or promote Coquelin/Hayden or wait for Daiby to get match fit....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Balotelli was available all summer at a knock down price and no other team was willing to touch him

who else would you expect to go for him/him to go to
    only a handful of clubs i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Even if you dont rate Balo, he could well be back up to Sturridge anyways. Our back up is Yaya Sanogo, not that im high on Giroud but if he goes down its him or Alexis or Theo who are unproven up top alone. We even need a depth buy at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I'm sure Wenger knows what he is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wenger on Cesc.

“I have no regret about [Arsenal not re-signing Fabregas] at all. My regret is that he left us.”

Interesting comment. Wenger never forgets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

HazDanz wrote: »
    Wenger on Cesc.

“I have no regret about [Arsenal not re-signing Fabregas] at all. My regret is that he left us.”

“I have no regret about at all. My regret is that he left us.”

I love that, the best comment Wenger has made in years.

Actually, just thinking, maybe Wenger has decided to give Walcott the chance up front he's always wanted?

• Advertisement

I wish Podolski could play up top. Doesnt have much to his game but the lad is full of goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Podolksi could only work up top in a 4-4-2. I actually think him and Giroud together could have potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Actually, just thinking, maybe Wenger has decided to give Walcott the chance up front he's always wanted?

The problem is he hasn't played in an awful long time. Assuming he's over the injury he still won't be match fit and back to his previous form until half way through the blooming season. There's a reason Balotelli wasn't coveted by big clubs but for gods sake he was surely an upgrade and/or at least competition for giroud.....annoying

Sky saying Khedira has asked to leave. We should get him now, need winners like him in the team

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sky saying Khedira has asked to leave. We should get him now, need winners like him in the team

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ
    BREAKING: Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti says Sami Khedira and Angel di Maria have asked to leave club. #SSNHQ

Do it Arsene!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I think he's off to Bayern, hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think he's off to Bayern, hope im wrong.

Yeah been a lot of place reporting that the past week. Shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Theo probably won't be full fit till next year.

Who knows what condition his body in after that injury, if he's lost even a little bit of pace he will struggle for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He'd be a fantastic signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Khedira to Bayern now after Martinez's injury id say which is unfortunate for us.

The Di Maria one is now interesting. If its United straight up bad news for us. If PSG are involved it sets in train a whole lotta new possibilities.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Wenger on Cesc.

That stubbornness is the reason he went 9 years without a trophy.

It's not a good quality.

Cesc was right to leave us, it just didn't work out for him like it worked out for Ronaldo.

We were going nowhere fast.

Wenger can talk real bull**** at times.

Where are people getting the Khedira to Bayern stories from? I just did a quick google and all that comes up are dailymail, metro, goal and all the other bull**** sources.

Still could see it happening due to the injury to Martinez and letting Kroos leave though.

If UTD land Di Maria and pool sign Balotelli (nut job or not) then we'll need to strengthen further or risk another race for 4th.

I appreciate the club doesn't like to take risks and blow money (rightly so) on any old player but we are close to something here and for the sake of a 20-30 million or thereabouts let's get our business done and have a right go this season.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

It's not a good quality.

Cesc was right to leave us, it just didn't work out for him like it worked out for Ronaldo.

Ah he is wasting our time with signings like Ozil and Sanchez, even signing potential WC youngsters like Chambers, we are going no where fast.

If is probably the one manager who talks the least bull****

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ah he is wasting our time with signings like Ozil and Sanchez, even signing potential WC youngsters like Chambers, we are going no where fast.

If is probably the one manager who talks the least bull****

Think he said we WERE going nowhere fast at the time cesc left, not where we are today.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    If UTD land Di Maria and pool sign Balotelli (nut job or not) then we'll need to strengthen further or risk another race for 4th.

I appreciate the club doesn't like to take risks and blow money (rightly so) on any old player but we are close to something here and for the sake of a 20-30 million or thereabouts let's get our business done and have a right go this season.

United and Pool are in the race for 4th, making these signings makes no real difference to us if Wenger is aiming to win the league, its Chelsea and City we need to watch.

We need to strenghten in DM and defense for sure but that if we want to compete, what we have now is a squad to challenge 4th

We've been saying this for a decade.

Cesc, Nasri, Rvp, Ade are ready we just need an experienced CB and a partner for Cesc and we are sorted.

We are always so close, but yet so far.

It's not an accident that this keeps happening either.

Arsene said years ago that the cost of getting to the very top isn't worth in the times we are in.

Soups123 wrote: »
    United and Pool are in the race for 4th, making these signings makes no real difference to us if Wenger is aiming to win the league, its Chelsea and City we need to watch.

We need to strenghten in DM and defense for sure but that if we want to compete, what we have now is a squad to challenge 4th

They've already strengthened too, particularly Chelsea. My point was that if UTD and Pool make these signings then we'll be dragged into a bigger battle.

They've already strengthened too, particularly Chelsea. My point was that if UTD and Pool make these signings then we'll be dragged into a bigger battle.

That's what's going to happen alright.

As we are Chelsea and City are way ahead.

Liverpool were ahead of last season let's not forget.

A bit left yet so hopefully we can do it. As it stands we are closer to a battle for fourth than a battle for top imo. Long way to go so hopefully we can strengthen with a backup CB, starting DM ( Dm that can play CB is fine by me) and a starting CF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's not a good quality.

We've been saying this for a decade.

Cesc, Nasri, Rvp, Ade are ready we just need an experienced CB and a partner for Cesc and we are sorted.

We are always so close, but yet so far.

It's not an accident that this keeps happening either.

Arsene said years ago that the cost of getting to the very top isn't worth in the times we are in.

Excellent posts as always.

Thanks.

Marty

Arsene knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Ignore list is your friend, until other people quote them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Isn't Bayern in for Khedira? Thought that deal was dead for us tbh.

Dean saying manolas and a big one if we win next wed. Hinted Carvalho, now that would be great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Dean saying manolas and a big one if we win next wed. Hinted Carvalho, now that would be great news.

Now that would be nice, I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter but I' sure some players would hold off on completing a move until they are assured Champions League football.

If we made two more signings along with what we have already done it would count as an excellent summer.

Now that would be nice, I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter but I' sure some players would hold off on completing a move until they are assured Champions League football.

If we made two more signings along with what we have already done it would count as an excellent summer.

Agreed, i think we would be a striker short from having a complete squad but we cant build one all in one window. If Theo or Sanchez can settle there or Giroud comes good then we are laughing! I would just love even a depth signing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What did he say that hinted at carvalho

He said the new big signing would be C_r___ho

Replied there saying he is quality, has been building him the last few days. I heard he gives info to Wayne Veysey too which is what he is spouting too so looks like it is Carvalho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement