Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Khedira. The lad is an absolute winner. Ozil and him link up brilliant together too like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

In all honesty I will be over the moon if we can get any one of Khedira, Schneiderlin or Bender. They would all make a huge contribution to our squad. Khedira worries me a bit for his injuries also I'm concerned about getting bogged down in long saga only to be gazumped, but all caveats aside, from what I've seen I think he's the best player of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bender's younger and probably cheaper - but Khedira has chemistry with Ozil.

Tough call, I personally would go for the former but either or would be great.

I would have picked Khedira every time but that stat of not playing more then 25 games a season is really bad and making me have second thoughts.

Was the low game count due to injuries or rotation does anyone know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In all honesty I will be over the moon if we can get any one of Khedira, Schneiderlin or Bender.
    Same. I'm just happy that we seem to be determined to bring in a new CM to partner Ramsey, was worried that we'd cheap out with another season of Arteta/Flamini as first choice.

I do have some concerns that Khedira might be the big name option rather than the right option, but the prospect of playing two two-way midfielders does certainly excite. We'd be better off with him than without anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

jonny666 wrote: »
    I would have picked Khedira every time but that stat of not playing more then 25 games a season is really bad and making me have second thoughts.

According to wiki, apart from last season, in the previous three for Real he played 44,42, and 40 games?

[edit] I'd also be happy with any of those 3.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was injured last season afaik.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He was injured last season afaik.

Yeah it was a pretty bad injury, ACL.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That's league apps, he managed 40+ apps altogether in each of his first three seasons at Madrid. He had a bad injury last season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's 25 league games btw.

Apart from last year (ligament), he's always played 40+ games a season for Madrid (3 years of that).

The fact there's always 8 or so CL games makes me think rotation but I can't confirm.

Sorry I missed the league part of things. 25 league games isnt too bad at all. I thought we were getting another Diaby :eek:

tbh I would be happy with any of the 3. I didnt think we would even sign a midfielder so anyone of them 3 is a big plus

• Advertisement

This is extremely surprising. Are we just not appreciating what we have?
    BsqKMiqIIAAJ2lJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think I find strange about the story is

You don't agree a few with a club without talking to the player first it's pretty common

So I think if we agreed a few then we will def get the player

Or the paper is full of shît and we haven't agreed anything

My first choice is still schnerdlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The only worry I'd have about Schneiderlin is whether he will become a top class player whereas in Khedira we'd be buying a WC and CL winner with a wealth of experience. If we want to push on and win the league or CL, I think he's the calibre of player we need to be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Raf32 wrote: »
    This is extremely surprising. Are we just not appreciating what we have?
    BsqKMiqIIAAJ2lJ.jpg

They're great stats. But he has been caught against high pressing teams, few times last season.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ESPN and a few others saying the Debuchy deal will be done today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

On Arteta still a great squad player and good enough against weaker sides but last season he showed signs of detiorating when we came up against teams who had players with pace and power he was ineffective and ran ragged with ease.

Yeah happy to keep Arteta in the squad but he's not getting any faster. Struggles to cover the pitch at times.

Don't think anyone doubts Arteta's quality, but he's getting on a bit and it was easy to see where he was exposed last season. Still be a great squad player to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

My first choice is still schnerdlin

Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

JPA wrote: »
    Madness!

I think he is too quailty and will only get better what is he 24 ideal partner for Ramsey and more defensive minded too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gosplan wrote: »
    There's such a counter-productive narrative in the UK (and Ireland) about trying your best all the time and always doing the right thing.

It means that Wilshire can't have a smoke on holidays.

Ironically it also meant that he had to go into a pointless 50/50 which more or less out him out of the World Cup in the first place.

They'll never progress because players like Riquelme and Ozil get crucified for not appearing to give 100% effort.

Losing is a much more appealing prospect for a player than appearing to 'not try'

So Wilshire's fair game because he wasn't 'trying his best' while sitting in a pool in Vegas.

It's about values really. But it's why Wilshire was flagged as a special talent in the UK whereas on Spain they've an assembly line of players like him.

This is completely missing the point. Spectacularly even.

Nobody is saying he shouldn't relax. But that has nothing to do with "trying his best" as you put it....and has nothing to do with on-field tackles. We aren't talking about perceived laziness on the field. We are talking about laziness off it. These are high performance athletes with a short careers. They are paid handsomely and shouldn't be drinking and smoking.

This is not an Arsenal-beating stick. Wilshere isnt alone in this. It's true of a lot of high profile players.

Rooney's weight issues would be another example of this. If there isn't a tournament in the summer, he balloons up. Benzema had the same issue. It's no coincidence that Benzema had a decent world cup after losing some weight. He looked fitter, leaner and quicker as a result than he has in a while. Much more like the shape he was in when in France, before his move to Real. I was surprised that not more pundits and journo's picked up on it. Martin Keown did point it out a couple of times during one of France's games but the rest of the panel just glossed over it.

A guy like Ronaldo is a good example of taking your career seriously. Personally, I think he still dives too much, and is selfish on the field....but there is absolutely no denying how hard he works off it. Fitness is king for him and its an example to be followed.

It's about professionalism. Some players have it, some don't.

Ozil, Messi, Zidane are just a few of the high profile players that have been pictured smoking. I wouldn't call any of them unprofessional.

Raf32 wrote: »

He's also paying for the surgerys of 23 children in Brazil, he supported 11 first then said since there was 23 players in the squad that won the world cup he would raise it to 23

I see Arseblog is doing an AMA on reddit tomorrow-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ozil, Messi, Zidane are just a few of the high profile players that have been pictured smoking. I wouldn't call any of them unprofessional.

In fairness he does alot more then just smoking, his attitude is terrible PERIOD.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness he does alot more then just smoking, his attitude is terrible PERIOD.

Yea his attitude after the whole Scholes thing stank how the club didn't sack him after that I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Yea his attitude after the whole Scholes thing stank how the club didn't sack him after that I don't know.

What is the scholes thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Can I ask why are we p1ssing and moaning about Wilshere? Leave that to the other fans, we've just signed Sanchez, about to get the Debuchy deal done and are very very close to signing Khedira.
    Things are looking up, i havent been this excited about the start of a season for years yet we are dissecting Wilshere's professionalism and attitude..
    The tabloids have well and truly achieved their sh1t stirring aim anyway...

Soups123 wrote: »
    What is the scholes thing?

Sorry was being sarcastic.

Scholes had a go at Wilshere on tv saying how he hadn't reached his potential was doing things wrong etc.

Wilshere reacted in a very commendable manner got his phone number rang Scholes and asked him how he thought he could improve and were he was going wrong because he respected his opinion..

To me that is not a player with an attitude problem just a player who had huge pressure heaped on him by the English media and public whose career thus far has been hampered by injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hadnt heard about that, interesting. Scholes needs to learn how to talk to the media he talks a lot lately from his high horse.

On the Wilshire discussions I agree players can be called into question and discussed but the disecting of his professionalism, his character and this development is way OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

The particularly galling thing about Wilshere is that he was actually a better player two years ago, remember that match against Barca and the numerous other MOTM performances that season? I know he has been injured but when he has played, it has not been near to the standards he set earlier in his career, that's why people are now starting to question his attitude.

The only issue i have with Wilshere is that he needs to take the knocks more on the field because he can forget about getting any protection from referees in England it would seem. He is a super player and keeps himself in tip top shape by the looks of his physique.

The gutter press leakings the other day paint him in a bad light when in fact it is only a freeze frame or two in time. We dont even know as to whether he smoked the whole cigarette or whether he drunk more than a bit of champagne but do you know what?!.. its his downtime after a long season so as long as he is ready to go in a week or two who really gives a shít?

That said, any backlash he is getting could put a bit more pressure on Wilshere to up his game and deliver for the coming season so the gutter rags could actually do us a service for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

For people who think its ok to do that cause it's off season, these are the same excuses people made for Rooney and he never fulfilled his potential. You would NEVER see Ronaldo doing it. He still gets pays during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Wenger should make him smoke a whole tray of smokes at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    For people who think its ok to do that cause it's off season, these are the same excuses people made for Rooney and he never fulfilled his potential. You would NEVER see Ronaldo doing it. He still gets pays during the summer.

But Zidane even smoked during the season when he played and you cannot say that he never fulfilled his potential.

It's off season, everything in moderation as they say.
    It's good to blow off steam sometimes.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

But we don't know as to the level of what he smoke and drank. All we have to go on is a few freeze frames. Total overreaction. Players are humans too, they need time to recharge the batteries like anyone else. Fair play to Ronaldo for adapting that lifestyle and all but not every player can expected to be like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

But Zidane even smoked during the season when he played and you cannot say that he never fulfilled his potential.

It's off season, everything in moderation as they say.
    It's good to blow off steam sometimes.

Zidane was nowhere to be seen far too often for a player of his quality throughout his career. Maybe it was the smokes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Kirby wrote: »
    This is completely missing the point. Spectacularly even.

Nobody is saying he shouldn't relax. But that has nothing to do with "trying his best" as you put it....and has nothing to do with on-field tackles. We aren't talking about perceived laziness on the field. We are talking about laziness off it. These are high performance athletes with a short careers. They are paid handsomely and shouldn't be drinking and smoking.

This is not an Arsenal-beating stick. Wilshere isnt alone in this. It's true of a lot of high profile players.

Rooney's weight issues would be another example of this. If there isn't a tournament in the summer, he balloons up. Benzema had the same issue. It's no coincidence that Benzema had a decent world cup after losing some weight. He looked fitter, leaner and quicker as a result than he has in a while. Much more like the shape he was in when in France, before his move to Real. I was surprised that not more pundits and journo's picked up on it. Martin Keown did point it out a couple of times during one of France's games but the rest of the panel just glossed over it.

A guy like Ronaldo is a good example of taking your career seriously. Personally, I think he still dives too much, and is selfish on the field....but there is absolutely no denying how hard he works off it. Fitness is king for him and its an example to be followed.

It's about professionalism. Some players have it, some don't.

My point is that in other places no-one gives a **** what a player does in their off time.

It's their playing that people judge.

In the UK, they have to be straight and true, singularly committed and morally upstanding.

Apparently Podolski shouted Arsenal today when Khedira was being interviewed and being asked about playing with Ozil.

Agent Pod on the job.

Great that we're paying all of these big clubs back after their own behaviour with the likes of Vieira (Real) and then Fabregas (Barca) a couple of years ago

Soups123 wrote: »
    The guy just constantly impresses me, would love to go for a pint with him he seems the crack

Hmmm, doubt he'd go for that. It would be all over the Daily Mail and his professionalism would be called into question :pac:

Talksport saying there is no Arsenal interest in Khedria at all

I don't think anyone can question Jack's love for the club or his commitment when he takes to the field. Nor can they question that his career has been stunted by injury. So what's left to question then? That he has a holiday and has the audacity to have a smoke so therefore he must have a bad attitude. That he's not in the gym 24/7. That he has two kids and shouldn't be going on "that" kind of holiday. No thanks, I'll judge him on his performances on the pitch next season not on what he gets up to on his time off in the middle of summer.

Totally unfair to compare Zidane and Wilshere in this aspect. Zidane was one of the best ever, jack has been pretty much irrelevant on the pitch for nearly 3 years imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gosplan wrote: »
    My point is that in other places no-one gives a **** what a player does in their off time.

It's their playing that people judge.

In the UK, they have to be straight and true, singularly committed and morally upstanding.

You are an arsenal fan. He's an arsenal player. You should care.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these moralisers. I didn't care about the Giggs affair or that Bridge/Terry stuff. If Wilshere was doing any of that, it wouldn't bother me. It's not football related.

But players abusing their bodies while the fans pay their wages is a different story. They should be eating right, and they shouldn't be drinking, smoking, taking drugs, etc. That effects their performance.

If he showed up 3 stone overweight you would care because it impacts his performance. Why is it any different if he's smoking? It's not like hes a powerhouse. He's usually the smallest man out there. He needs every physical edge he can get and smoking wont be helping his stamina.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Put it this way. if we had Messi and he was caught smoking, would you care? Probably not as he performs on the pitch.

If Jack fails to perform then you might have a case to criticise him for the odd smoke, until then show support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Even since Zidanes day the game has changed. Football players are year on year becoming better and better athletes. Sports science is a real thing and you won't find anyone of any repute in that field claiming that smoking even the odd one isn't terrible for you.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Put it this way. if we had Messi and he was caught smoking, would you care? Probably not as he performs on the pitch.

If Jack fails to perform then you might have a case to criticise him for the odd smoke, until then show support

Course will always show support for any of our players but can still be critical too. I hope Jack comes out firing next year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement