Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Still had to prove it IMO. Would be no harm to have a back up to him as well.

Santi is our back up for him.

And Alexis is also "direct and incisive"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fact of the matter is strikers are important, the most important position to win games. It's why goal scorers go for the most money and are on the most money, their goals win games. Pool last with the 2 most in form strikers nearly won the league when the rest of their team lacked considerable quality, united also won the league with rvp when the rest of their team was quite poor.

Giroud is not of league winning quality, good player but we won't win the league with him as our main striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Santi is our back up for him.

And Alexis is also "direct and incisive"

I like Ozil and Santi. Both can be great players. Both can be inconsistent players. Ozil hopefully will be better this season. Santi the odd bit of brilliance? Alexis, we will see....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Official FB page just put up a vid of Dan Crowley scoring a cracker in training. Would be great if we could have someone make the breakthrough. Haven't really had one since Wilshere.

I'd love to see Gnabry, Sanogo and Zelalem go on loan for the year. A Charlton or somewhere like that.

Fwiw too; Giroud/Hernandez > Giroud/Sanogo even if I don't think Hernandez would be best served by the way we play.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I like Ozil and Santi. Both can be great players. Both can be inconsistent players. Ozil hopefully will be better this season. Santi the odd bit of brilliance? Alexis, we will see....?

I'm not sure what you think we need, even if you're not sold on Ozil, we're hardly going to sign someone to replace him. You think we need another number 10 like Fabregas? If there's one position we don't need someone it's there. Sure Ox and Ramsey can also play there if needed.

• Advertisement

Cazorla's the obvious fit for #10 if Ozil is out. Longer term you'd hope Zelalem could mount a challenge to be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This season ;-

Defence OUT IN

Sagna, Jenkinson (loan) and Vermaillon OUT. Debuchy and Chambers IN.
    Bellerin promoted.

Midfield

OUT IN

Nobody out --- Diaby back.(Hopefully?) Sanchez IN

Forwards

OUT IN

Nobody out but we have Campbell back..

I would be happy with a good solid DM and i'd be delighted if we got a good striker but I don't think we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Forwards

OUT IN

Nobody out but we have Campbell back..

The mighty Nicky Bendtner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Lawrenson predicting a 1-1 draw for tomorrow!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28859459

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

DenMan wrote: »
    Lawrenson predicting a 1-1 draw for tomorrow!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28859459

So one of us are going to win, nice

• Advertisement

The mighty Nicky Bendtner?

That's why I said NOBODY :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is strikers are important, the most important position to win games. It's why goal scorers go for the most money and are on the most money, their goals win games. Pool last with the 2 most in form strikers nearly won the league when the rest of their team lacked considerable quality, united also won the league with rvp when the rest of their team was quite poor.

Giroud is not of league winning quality, good player but we won't win the league with him as our main striker.

This is very true. You need the x-factor in strikers. The guy who even when having an off day can produce a moment of individual class and turn 1 point into 3.

gosplan wrote: »
    This is very true. You need the x-factor in strikers. The guy who even when having an off day can produce a moment of individual class and turn 1 point into 3.

Exhibit A...

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rio didn't score that many goals.................

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Anyone heading the Mercantile for tomorrow's game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We are Goina have the leagues best player this year

Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I want the leagues best team not player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hernandez is not better than Giroud. Not by a long way. I disagree there completely.

I think he would fit our style of play alot more than Giroud, hes always looking to make runs in behind and he creates loads of space for others when he does. Giroud always drops too deep and wants the ball to his feet its just so predictable and easy to defend against. Make no mistake we need to sign a striker, Sanogo as back up just isnt good enough at this point in time. More I think of it the more I want to pull me hair out that we have an unproven youngster as our backup centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Giroud would be a great basketball player (guard). He's great at holding the ball up, blocks players and can pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

DenMan wrote: »
    Giroud would be a great basketball player (guard). He's great at holding the ball up, blocks players and can pass!

He wouldn't have to have the ball near his feet too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think he would fit our style of play alot more than Giroud, hes always looking to make runs in behind and he creates loads of space for others when he does. Giroud always drops too deep and wants the ball to his feet its just so predictable and easy to defend against. Make no mistake we need to sign a striker, Sanogo as back up just isnt good enough at this point in time. More I think of it the more I want to pull me hair out that we have an unproven youngster as our backup centre forward.

I don't disagree with you at all that we need to sign a striker. I genuinely don't think Hernandez is the answer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

This is so wrong. Hernandaz would be awful for us. All very good and well having him run in behind but where's he Goina run to when they have 2 banks of 4 dropped deep. Our CF has to be able to hold the ball up and that is the thing Hernandez is worst at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

jonny666 wrote: »
    This is so wrong. Hernandaz would be awful for us. All very good and well having him run in behind but where's he Goina run to when they have 2 banks of 4 dropped deep. Our CF has to be able to hold the ball up and that is the thing Hernandez is worst at

Inbetween the 2 centre halves like he's done a thousand times for united?

He had 4 goals in 24 league games last year. He had a decent first year, but he's been found out since. Not a top level striker IMO.

Inbetween the 2 centre halves like he's done a thousand times for united?

He doesn't get his game, never has and never will. Two successive managers have preferred Welbeck to him when faced with a striker absence.

What exactly do you see that Fergie and Moyes didn't and has prompted no manager in the world to make a move for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd rather have Remy over Hernandez.

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

How can anyone think Hernandez would be an addition to us?? He is completely incapable of playing upfront alone. He his awful with his back to goal, one of the first things a striker needs in the EPL to be a success on his own. We would get pummelled.

His only benefit is his finishing and been thrown on in a 4-4-2 when a goal is needed. We have one of these already.His name is Podolski.

Danny Welbeck would be an infinitely better team addition to Arsenal than Hernandez.

How could anyone imagine us playing a front three of Sanchez, Hernandez, Walcott/Cazorla??? We could have Gilberto, Petit and Vieira in their pomp at DM/CM and we would still be destroyed.

The only players we should be looking at upfront are ones that can hold up the ball for a start. Not glamorous, overlooked but for anyone that follows football and especially the EPL we need one like that. Simple as. He either has to be big and strong or supremely technically gifted with no shortage of strength a la Aguero/Suarez.

Based purely on the bibs in the training photos, looks like Per and Ox may start tomorrow.

Based purely on the bibs in the training photos, looks like Per and Ox may start tomorrow.

I think Koscielney is carrying a knock as he looked like it the other night.
    He might be rested and we could see Per and Chambers in the middle of the defence.

• Advertisement

Madness that some people would dismiss Hernandez as not good enough for us when we have Yaya Sanogo as our back up striker. Now I am not saying Hernandez is top class but only a fool would say Sanogo is better than him. Personally I think he is more of a threat than Giroud and is a much better finisher (thats what you look for in a striker right?)

To say Hernandez was found out last year too is laughable, he only had 1500 minutes of playing time and thats coming onand off the bench in a Utd team devoid of any creativity, scoring 9 times, with 4 assists, compared to Giroud who played 4052 minutes scoring 22 times with 12 assists and take into account he is been supplied by 2 of the best midfielders in the world in Ramsey and Ozil.

Giroud is decent but the stats above give an indication that he is no better than Hernandez.

jonny666 wrote: »

Hold it up?? Peter Crouch should be a transfer target if you go by that logic. Any professional footballer worth there salt can hold the ball up and saying Hernandez cant do this basic task is madness.

He doesn't get his game, never has and never will. Two successive managers have preferred Welbeck to him when faced with a striker absence.

What exactly do you see that Fergie and Moyes didn't and has prompted no manager in the world to make a move for him?

Welbeck started ahead of Hernandez because he was much better at playing out wide in a 4-4-3 formation in the sense that he would work hard and track back, not because he is a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

REMY. Available (injured?) AND CHEAP. PERFECT FOR WENGER.

Madness that some people would dismiss Hernandez as not good enough for us when we have Yaya Sanogo as our back up striker. Now I am not saying Hernandez is top class but only a fool would say Sanogo is better than him. Personally I think he is more of a threat than Giroud and is a much better finisher (thats what you look for in a striker right?)

To say Hernandez was found out last year too is laughable, he only had 1500 minutes of playing time and thats coming onand off the bench in a Utd team devoid of any creativity, scoring 9 times, with 4 assists, compared to Giroud who played 4052 minutes scoring 22 times with 12 assists and take into account he is been supplied by 2 of the best midfielders in the world in Ramsey and Ozil.

Giroud is decent but the stats above give an indication that he is no better than Hernandez.

I concede you're correct. Hernandez should be in.

In fact, given he's got way better stats than Denis Bergkamp - a useless 120 goals in 420 matches we should sign him and call him a legend.

Nobody wants Hernandez - does that not tell you anything?

In fact, given he's got way better stats than Denis Bergkamp - a useless 120 goals in 420 matches we should sign him and call him a legend.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

• Advertisement

Nobody wants Hernandez - does that not tell you anything?

Bergkamps play off the ball far outweighed what he was worth in terms of goals to the team, the man was a genius. Giroud on the other hand is decent but we need a striker that will take his chances and not need a hatful of them to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Two completely different players. Hernandez thrives off crosses and the loose balls in the box, and United's game was always about going down the channels and getting crosses in. He wouldn't be useful for us given he'd be expected to lead the line, hold up play and make room for on-rushing runs deep from Ramsey, Walcatt, Sanchez etc.

I like Hernandez, but I think he'd be about as big a hit in an Arsenal shirt as Vela was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I want to win the league, not be the best team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Supposedly Welbeck will seek a move away from Man united due to lack of game time.

I'd happily take him.. Yes he isn't a great finisher but he's fast,can dribble, and will work his ass off chasing down every ball. I think Wenger could get the best out of him.

Still prefer Remy though

*Keeps running*

ronjo wrote: »
    I want to win the league, not be the best team

Well Silva plays for City, they have the best team and also won the league.

So er.....yeah. Good to be a City fan I guess? :p

I actually think Chelsea have the best team but that didn't go with the joke.....

• Advertisement

It's not laughable, he only got 1500 minutes because he's useless.

Bergkamps play off the ball far outweighed what he was worth in terms of goals to the team, the man was a genius. Giroud on the other hand is decent but we need a striker that will take his chances and not need a hatful of them to score.

Giroud is never going to be the main man for goals, that's my point.

He's either be an advanced second striker(if you get my meaning) setting up two inside wing forwards, or a plain second striker but we'd need an Henry.

Hernandez doesn't fit in anywhere to that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Missing the point. Hernandez is a much superior finisher and established player. Sanogo is a young centre forward who's game is based on strength and movement. He is terribly frustrating at times yet when we played him up front last season some of our best football in the second half of the season came with him up top.

Ya can slate him all you like but that was the reality. Hernandez on his own would never work in our system. That's as clear as day to anyone who watched him the past few years. United fans will tell you no different. He is the poacher supreme but no good to us. I would take Welbeck way ahead of him too for what he would bring to Arsenal.

Giroud is never going to be the main man for goals, that's my point.

He's either be an advanced second striker(if you get my meaning) setting up two inside wing forwards, or a plain second striker but we'd need an Henry.

Hernandez doesn't fit in anywhere to that plan.

All I am saying is we wont win a league with Giroud starting up front. He has to be one of the most frustrating and inconsistent strikers we have had under Wenger. Dont get me wrong I like the lad, he puts himself about and does score some wonderful goals and has a touch to die for but I watched him closely tuesday night and he was absolutely embarrassing. Good as a back up striker but we need better, somebody that doesnt need 4 or 5 chances to score.

Missing the point. Hernandez is a much superior finisher and established player. Sanogo is a young centre forward who's game is based on strength and movement. He is terribly frustrating at times yet when we played him up front last season some of our best football in the second half of the season came with him up top.

Ya can slate him all you like but that was the reality. Hernandez on his own would never work in our system. That's as clear as day to anyone who watched him the past few years. United fans will tell you no different. He is the poacher supreme but no good to us. I would take Welbeck way ahead of him too for what he would bring to Arsenal.

And he's actually lost some of that because he barely plays. He was more clinical when he arrived than he is now. He should never have stayed as long as he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Have I banged my head or something ? are we seriously saying Hernandez our Wellbeck are the players we need. Jaysis. Bring back the bullsh*t Cavani rumours. At least they gave us a better striker for us to drool over. Suggesting Hernandez or Wellbeck is the biggest insult Giroux can receive.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Have I banged my head or something ? are we seriously saying Hernandez our Wellbeck are the players we need. Jaysis. Bring back the bullsh*t Cavani rumours. At least they gave us a better striker for us to drool over. Suggesting Hernandez or Wellbeck is the biggest insult Giroux can receive.

The biggest? I hear Bendtner is available on a free..............

Im not slating the lad, its not his fault that he is been thrown in at the deep end when he still wasn't/isn't ready to play at the highest level. I disagree with you on Welbeck, give me Hernandez every day of the week over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

From Cavani to Welbeck or Hernandez :pac::pac:

Redzer7 wrote: »
    From Cavani to Welbeck or Hernandez :pac::pac:

Who are we to laugh at these players when there better than our back up striker :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement