Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Who are we to laugh at these players when there better than our back up striker :D

True that but I couldn't see either of them leaving one bench to sit on another, Welbeck and Hernandez isn't our answer to winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Redzer7 wrote: »
    True that but I couldn't see either of them leaving one bench to sit on another, Welbeck and Hernandez isn't our answer to winning the league.

True enough, but it does highlight just how weak we are up front. Would love to see Walcott giving a go up top he would scare the living daylights out of defences with his pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

True enough, but it does highlight just how weak we are up front. Would love to see Walcott giving a go up front he would scare the living daylights out of defences with his pace.

If he regains it.

Could be the new year before he is even back playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Hold it up?? Peter Crouch should be a transfer target if you go by that logic. Any professional footballer worth there salt can hold the ball up and saying Hernandez cant do this basic task is madness.

Hernandez cant hold up the ball. Have you ever watched him play. His hold up play isnt great. He doesnt bring people into the game either. He is a poacher. A finisher, and doesnt suit a team playing 1 up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cavani really is the perfect player for our formation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Im not slating the lad, its not his fault that he is been thrown in at the deep end when he still wasn't/isn't ready to play at the highest level. I disagree with you on Welbeck, give me Hernandez every day of the week over him.

But Gringo why on earth would you want Hernandez in our system? Is it not plain as day from all the evidence that he would be terrible in the role? We are hardly going to change our system for Javier Hernandez.We have Podolski...if we were ever going to change it we would have done it. All Hernandez would be is the same as at United. A sub who can grab a goal when we throw the kitchen sink at a team.

Don't want either but Welbeck fits the Arsenal game much more in terms of what he brings and his versatility.

But Gringo why on earth would you want Hernandez in our system?

Because he has a nack of always being in the right place at the right time in the box like all great goalscorers. I like him, the way I liked Van Nistelrooy, who I dont think ever scored a goal outside the 18 yard box for Utd and wasnt great at holding up play, same as Inzaghi and Klose these are all my type of strikers because they score goals and by the bucket load.

I get what you say that he may not fit our system but the last striker we had who was a real predator was Ian Wright and he didnt fair too bad, although in a totally different set up to the way we play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

From Cavani to Welbeck or Hernandez :pac::pac:

We'll be back talking about Jonjo Shelvey at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

From Cavani to Welbeck or Hernandez :pac::pac:

From Henry to RVP to Giroud ;-)

• Advertisement

Don't think we'll ever see a player like Henry again, brings a little tear to my eye :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Don't think we'll ever see a player like Henry again, brings a little tear to my eye :-(

There was a programme on sky sports the other night looking back on his career (footballs greatest?). Anyway when it showed that goal against Leeds on his 2nd debut I couldn't help but shed a little tear. 'Twas dust in my eye for sure I reckon.

omega man wrote: »
    There was a programme on sky sports the other night looking back on his career (footballs greatest?). Anyway when it showed that goal against Leeds on his 2nd debut I couldn't help but shed a little tear. 'Twas dust in my eye for sure I reckon.

A great moment. Often watch that clip on youtube and the reaction from everybody. In fact I am gonna do that right now!

A great moment. Often watch that clip on youtube and the reaction from everybody. In fact I am gonna do that right now!

Put it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

yeah its a really poignant video, you can actually feel the love he has for Arsenal and Wenger. I remember listening to it at work, wish I had seen it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

This is my favourite version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

This is my favourite version.

Jasus, Chamberlain has been doing it since back then as well! Im very surprised that from all we've seen from him in the last few years he hasnt been a nailed on start ahead of the likes of Cazorla and Podolski - he has been an immense talent since he stepped up to first team football - Id love to see him get plenty of starts this year (starting with saturday!).

Oh henry. Can we not do a straight swap with the Red bulls, get Sanogo some game time in a confidence-inspiring (read:****e) league like the MLS and have Henry as backup for a few games?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm sick of hearing about bloody hold up play...we're not Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

A couple of Liverpool supporting friends of mine were on about the "real" reasons aRemy didn't join them.. Won't go into it here but dig around and you might see what the rumours are..

Confident of a good win tomorrow.. Can't really explain it, just think we'll kick start things tomorrow

Is Podolski off? Campbell his replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »

Sell Pod for like £8M and save 105K in wages. Then use Pods wage + 60K a week and get Cavani.

Simples... Ok i know its not that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Seems he hasn't travelled with the squad for tomorrow...it's looking likely now.

Dont know what to make of that, does nothing but scores so much. A loss numbers wise anyway for the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

If Pod is off I would take it as sign that someone else is being lined up.. Hopeuly anyway.. If he is off then good luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

A couple of Liverpool supporting friends of mine were on about the "real" reasons aRemy didn't join them.. Won't go into it here but dig around and you might see what the rumours are..

Confident of a good win tomorrow.. Can't really explain it, just think we'll kick start things tomorrow

what was the reason? or what forum/site would it be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Sell Pod for like £8M and save 105K in wages. Then use Pods wage + 60K a week and get Cavani.

Simples... Ok i know its not that simple.

then add another 135k a week on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Feckin flying during the game today. Hoping for a slight delay and airport wifi so I dont have to wait till tomorrow to know the score

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Podolski is a favourite of mine, but if he's sold it's inexcusable if we don't make a major signing, either up front or in deep midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Podolski is a favourite of mine, but if he's sold it's inexcusable if we don't make a major signing, either up front or in deep midfield.

I'm not a huge optimist and haven't fallen for this stuff all summer but I'm going to now 100% buy into the Pod out Cavani in line of thinking.

It's clear as mud.

PSG need FFP balance to take Di Maria so they sell. Plus Ibra wants Cavani out. We get Pod off the books for the extra wages and make Cavani our highest player. Then we're down a World Cup winning German so we buy Khedira.

Wenger thinks, 'boy I'm really spending a lot' but does it anyway cause we won't need another player for 3/4 years.
    Sooo going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not a huge optimist and haven't fallen for this stuff all summer but I'm going to now 100% buy into the Pod out Cavani in line of thinking.

It's clear as mud.

PSG need FFP balance to take Di Maria so they sell. Plus Ibra wants Cavani out. We get Pod off the books for the extra wages and make Cavani our highest player. Then we're down a World Cup winning German so we buy Khedira.

Wenger thinks, 'boy I'm really spending a lot' but does it anyway cause we won't need another player for 3/4 years.
    Sooo going to happen.

Think we would all love if this is true.

As it stands we have the worst strikeforce out of all our rivals which is very worrying.

Unless Wenger sees Sanchez as a CF then we need to bring in a Reus like player.

Here's hoping Wenger has plans in motion.

Should be a good test later.

I'm still not convinced we have improved our first eleven from last season.

The two positions we needed an upgrade in are still the same.

• Advertisement

Should be a good test later.

I'm still not convinced we have improved our first eleven from last season.

The two positions we needed an upgrade in are still the same.

If Podolski goes and Gnabry goes out on loan it just feels like we replaced although with better quality. We really cant neglect those two positions any longer.

If Podolski goes and Gnabry goes out on loan it just feels like we replaced although with better quality. We really cant neglect those two positions any longer.

We still have no proper left winger though, pod is the only left footed player who can maybe the a job there, which isn't saying much.

We still have no proper left winger though, pod is the only left footed player who can maybe the a job there, which isn't saying much.

In fairness Sanchez and Ox are both more than capable of playing on the left.

I really hope Santi doesnt play today. Way too physical of a game for him and they will have Coleman and their winger going at Monreal, need Ox to offer him some help.

In fairness Sanchez and Ox are both more than capable of playing on the left.

I said proper wingers,I mean natural ones.

Not a Wenger makeshift winger.

Cazorla is so bad on the wing,ozil not much better.

I said proper wingers,I mean natural ones.

Not a Wenger makeshift winger.

Cazorla is so bad on the wing,ozil not much better.

Sanchez has spent most his career on the wings??

Ox makeshift winger? He's young and Wenger has said eventually he sees him playing more centrally but he has spent most his time on the wing and had some of his best games playing down the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    This is very true. You need the x-factor in strikers. The guy who even when having an off day can produce a moment of individual class and turn 1 point into 3.

Like Giroud's well judged header to set up Debuchy in the 90th min against Palace? Would that count?

greendom wrote: »
    Like Giroud's well judged header to set up Debuchy in the 90th min against Palace? Would that count?

Do you honestly think Giroud would get into City, United's or Liverpool's starting eleven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

That was brilliantly done but it was a rarity. He's a striker ffs! The amount of goals he scores is supposed to be much higher than his assist count. He was signed to score goals first and foremost! He reminds me of Niall Quinn in that he holds the ball up well and can pass. That's good and well for mid table teams or sides down the bottom half of the table fighting relegation and scrapping for points to stay up! We need a predator who is a goal machine like the other teams wanting to win the Premier League and the Champions League. We need Cavani.

• Advertisement

Do you honestly think Giroud would get into City, United's or Liverpool's starting eleven?

He's not as good as any of their no 1s but Dzeko started for City last week and I'd have him ahead of Ballotelli too. The point is Giroud deserves more praise than he gets on here. He had a poor game in Turkey and that seems to give everyone Carte Blanche to lay into him

I get what you're saying. I'm actually a fan of Giroud. He's a really functional player and I think he's good enough provided the players around him are the right ones.

However he was starved of chances all that game. The Henry/Suarez type I want would just go ahead and make something from nothing before that. It's a very tall ask though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Cavani really is the perfect player for our formation :(

I've said it before but is there anyone here who watches Ligue 1 regularly and can confirm this? Every time I have seen him play (which hasn't been very often in fairness), I haven't seen what the fuss is all about, but I realise that I shouldn't judge a player on a handful of matches.

However, looking at his stats from last year doesn't exactly convince me either. Last year he scored 16 goals in about 2200 minutes in a team of superstars in a league that is probably worse than the Premier League. I know Zlatan is probably the focal point of the team, but if we are looking for an improvement on Giroud, these stats are far from convincing.

It is also worth noting that Giroud came to us as lead scorer in Ligue 1 in 11/12.

DenMan wrote: »
    That was brilliantly done but it was a rarity. He's a striker ffs! The amount of goals he scores is supposed to be much higher than his assist count. He was signed to score goals first and foremost! He reminds me of Niall Quinn in that he holds the ball up well and can pass. That's good and well for mid table teams or sides down the bottom half of the table fighting relegation and scrapping for points to stay up! We need a predator who is a goal machine like the other teams wanting to win the Premier League and the Champions League. We need Cavani.
    I'd love Cavani at Arsenal but that doesn't blind me to how useful Giroud is to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea all have players that wouldn't get into Arsenals starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'd love Cavani at Arsenal but that doesn't blind me to how useful Giroud is to the team

He's useful alright but if want to seriously challenge then we need to beat the teams around us! Something that most certainly didn't happen last year! They are going to outscore us over the season!

• Advertisement

He's not as good as any of their no 1s but Dzeko started for City last week and I'd have him ahead of Ballotelli too. The point is Giroud deserves more praise than he gets on here. He had a poor game in Turkey and that seems to give everyone Carte Blanche to lay into him

See I'd have Dzeko and Balotelli on a par if not ahead of Giroud.

The point remains all our rivals have better strikforces than we do if we want to challenge we need to at least be on a par with them.

Yes some people do go overboard and call him a donkey etc that he is not far from it but I've been saying for a long time he is a great squad addition but we need better.

Realistically we'll probably just see a backup centre half coming in, that'll be all for January I'd say.

We've been solidly arguing the Giroud point since we bought Sanchez.

The thing with Giroud is when he is bad he is awful!

But don't forget it was a piece of genius that created our FA Cup winning goal too. As I said at the time it gets completely overlooked. Had it been Ramsey or Ozil that did that we would still all be going on about it. The flick was better than the finish as good and all as it was.

Giroud is a player that will split fans on his use to the team, on one hand you have the set of supporters who over rate him and you have some who under rate his worth. He is a good option to have coming off the bench, the way the likes of Wiltord, Suker, Kanu etc were, especially when you are chasing a goal and you throw 2 up front. He isn't clinical enough to be our number 1 striker, sure he can hold the ball up well and link up play but that's not good enough for a lone striker, he just hasn't got that natural finishing ability that all the top strikers have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement