Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Realistically we'll probably just see a backup centre half coming in, that'll be all for January I'd say.

Pretty damn frustrating it will be if thats the case, were one player maybe 2 short again of having a complete team/squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big reliance on Flamini today if he plays DM. Hope he's up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Pretty damn frustrating it will be if thats the case, were one player maybe 2 short again of having a complete team/squad.

Yeah decent backup centre half, Khedira and Cavani and we'd mount a serious title challenge!! But I'm trying not to buy into any of the transfer talk as I'm nearly 99% sure that we'll only sign a centre half so don't wanna set myself up for disappointment. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

farna_boy wrote: »
    I've said it before but is there anyone here who watches Ligue 1 regularly and can confirm this? Every time I have seen him play (which hasn't been very often in fairness), I haven't seen what the fuss is all about, but I realise that I shouldn't judge a player on a handful of matches.

However, looking at his stats from last year doesn't exactly convince me either. Last year he scored 16 goals in about 2200 minutes in a team of superstars in a league that is probably worse than the Premier League. I know Zlatan is probably the focal point of the team, but if we are looking for an improvement on Giroud, these stats are far from convincing.

It is also worth noting that Giroud came to us as lead scorer in Ligue 1 in 11/12.

He was playing out wide, out of position in a league for the first time, i think 16 is a good effort. Would definitely hit 25 for us if not more imo. Has the hold up play which is desired to bring our midfielders into the game, has decent pace, he can be an erratic finisher though but still better then what we have up top. Stats can be so misleading for me, he would be a massive upgrade on giroud imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Raf32 wrote: »
    He was playing out wide, out of position in a league for the first time, i think 16 is a good effort. Would definitely hit 25 for us if not more imo. Has the hold up play which is desired to bring our midfielders into the game, has decent pace, he can be an erratic finisher though but still better then what we have up top. Stats can be so misleading for me, he would be a massive upgrade on giroud imo.

The main thing is he is quicker and more mobile.

Should be a good match this evening. Hopefully we have learned our lesson from last year and can handle Lukaku on the left if he's put there. I think a scored draw or an Arsenal win. Sanzhez to get his first of many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

farna_boy wrote: »
    I've said it before but is there anyone here who watches Ligue 1 regularly and can confirm this? Every time I have seen him play (which hasn't been very often in fairness), I haven't seen what the fuss is all about, but I realise that I shouldn't judge a player on a handful of matches.

However, looking at his stats from last year doesn't exactly convince me either. Last year he scored 16 goals in about 2200 minutes in a team of superstars in a league that is probably worse than the Premier League. I know Zlatan is probably the focal point of the team, but if we are looking for an improvement on Giroud, these stats are far from convincing.

It is also worth noting that Giroud came to us as lead scorer in Ligue 1 in 11/12.
    As good as any striker currently in the Premiership. Most people have based their opinion of him on a handful of games they've seen of Uruguay and PSG in the CL, where he plays wide right in both formations to accommodate Ibrahimovic and Suarez.

Now it's fair enough to play the vast majority of players out of position in order to accommodate those two but the thing about Cavani is that he's too good to play second fiddle to anybody else and the stats show it.

Some might say 16 goals in a weak enough French league isn't a great return. Others could say that for a player playing a new league, out of position, not taking set pieces and only managing less than two-thirds of the total game minutes (2200 out of 3420) - 16 goals is a very good return. Besides, he scored 25 goals in all competitions and his game is about a lot more than just goalscoring.

Plus, if you're going to use statistics then why not factor in his outstanding record for Napoli - 3 years at Napoli when they weren't title-contenders - 78 league goals in 104 Serie A games and 104 in 138 overall.

I really, really hope he signs for yis just so that people can see how good he is. Even without any other signing he would guarantee 3rd place minimum and make Arsenal genuine title contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

jonny666 wrote: »
    The main thing is he is quicker and more mobile.

Should be a good match this evening. Hopefully we have learned our lesson from last year and can handle Lukaku on the left if he's put there. I think a scored draw or an Arsenal win. Sanzhez to get his first of many

Don't think we have learned anything from last season.

Can see us being well off the pace and beaten today.

I'd love to see us sign Torres and him to find the form he was at when he was at Liverpool, never gonna happen though haha.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Jaysus Arsenal haven't even arrived at the ground yet and you have us beaten.
    We can beat Everton if our defence gets their act together. No worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jaysus Arsenal haven't even arrived at the ground yet and you have us beaten.
    We can beat Everton if our defence gets their act together. No worries.

Exactly, we'll find out if we've learnt anything from last season after 5.30.

Maligning a team's performance before they've even kicked off takes some doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Why do you think that?

Did you watch Everton last week? They werent exactly great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Cesc showing that he is far from what we need

Hyzepher wrote: »

Diego Costa on the other hand is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Sanchez up front by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

‪#‎Arsenal‬ team to play Everton: Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Monreal, Flamini, Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis ‪#‎EFCvAFC‬

COYG

Hyzepher wrote: »

Got an assist there, still not what we need though we have too many players in that mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Really like that team! Kos on the bench the only concern

First time Ozil and Alexis play together! Let the good times roll! :D

LOVE that team. We are gonna be in trouble on set pieces though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

First time for the Mert and Chambers partnership, im nervous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wonder who's going to be on the wing other than ox? Wilshere or Ozil?

Really like that team! Kos on the bench the only concern

He looked to be carrying an injury in midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I wonder who's going to be on the wing other than ox? Wilshere or Ozil?

Ozil on the left like in the WC I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ozil and Ramsey behind Sanchez...best attacking line in the league right now on paper.

#Arsenal subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Koscielny, Rosicky, Giroud, Cazorla, Campbell #EFCvAFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whats the story with Jenks? he hasnt got a runout yet, is he injured or to be used as backup?

Today should be a day to suit us. Sit back, let Everton have the ball and invite them up the pitch then attack with pace.

That should give Martinez something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

wonga77 wrote: »
    Whats the story with Jenks? he hasnt got a runout yet, is he injured or to be used as backup?

He's gone out on loan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Very exciting line up. Interesting to see how sanchez plays up front. Need flamster to have a big game.
    COYG.

• Advertisement

Got injured in their last pre-season game. Close to making a return I believe

Gone out on loan to West Ham for the season.

Hope Wenger has his tactics right for this game today.
    We were destroyed down our left side last year when Lukaku was up against Monrael and destroyed him. We have to keep things much tighter today.

Ozil on the wing ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Could those shirts be any tighter. Hardly room to breathe I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fabianski getting complimented on his performance today by McLiontock.

Poor ball from Ramsey. A better pass and we were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Calum Chambers. Wonderkid

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great covering from chambers.

Brilliant covering from Chambers

• Advertisement

Missed the first 8 minutes or so, since I put it on we just seem to be doing that extra touch thing.

Too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

****sake too easy

Asleep.

Freedom of the park for Coleman. FFS Ozil you have to defend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

OK ozil, your man for the goal. Now make up for it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Poor. Had almost made it to 20 minutes too.

Said it already bad move playing Ozil on the wing poor decision by Wenger. Just drop Wilshere and play Ozil in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Close. Worrying....

• Advertisement

Let off, need to get their shot together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement