Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can now apparently but I don't know how. Think it might do it automatically if you just post the link.

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/503248388348182528

Arsenal did create more chances throughout the game.

Edit: not sure how to embed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

shano_88 wrote: »
    Wilshere wasnt half as bad as people in here are saying either.
    Wilshere has played better than Ramsey in all three games so far this season but Ramsey is the golden boy now so he'll escape criticism (his goal-scoring instincts help, too). We've had a host of players put in worse performances so far this season but people have their narrative.

We were insipid for 70 minutes today but getting a point was encouraging given the circumstances. I don't think people appreciate how disjointed our preparations have been. We will get a LOT better than this but additions are still certainly required if we're to win the big uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wilshere has played better than Ramsey in all three games so far this season but Ramsey is the golden boy now so he'll escape criticism (his goal-scoring instincts help, too). We've had a host of players put in worse performances so far this season but people have their narrative.

We were insipid for 70 minutes today but getting a point was encouraging given the circumstances. I don't think people appreciate how disjointed our preparations have been. We will get a LOT better than this but additions are still certainly required if we're to win the big uns.

You really think Wilshire played better than Ramsey, Ox and Ozil today.

None of them were great but Wilshire was very uninvolved I felt.

I'm not a Wilshire band wagon member, always defensive of him, I just feel he is struggling to understand his roll in the team at the minute

Ramsey was poor by his usual standards today but far better than Wilshere.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ox was anonymous for large stretches of the game and Ozil was tidy enough but very passive. It's not really coming together at the moment for Wilshere and the team shape is confused but he's working and battling hard, doing less of the silly stuff I was critical of last season and producing some promising moments going forward. Ramsey was awful and has been largely so in all three games so far. His passing range has been ****ing miles off so far. I've no worries about him coming good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Soups123 wrote: »
    You really think Wilshire played better than Ramsey, Ox and Ozil today.

None of them were great but Wilshire was very uninvolved I felt.

I'm not a Wilshire band wagon member, always defensive of him, I just feel he is struggling to understand his roll in the team at the minute

Maybe he's just not getting the right instructions from Wenger, or just not understanding them. Perhaps Wenger is simply expecting him to turn into Ramsey overnight so to speak.

I remember a forum thread on arsenal mania a while back that ran for a long time, it was titled "Ramsey - stick or twist?". I think that's where jack is at now with regard to making it at arsenal or not. The guy is a fans favourite because of his attitude to the club and of course being a local lad. However if you look at it in the cold light of day then some serious decisions need to made soon, end of season I'd say, about his future at the club. Personally I still believe he'll make the cut but I'm not as sure as I was last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

The hyperbole and reactionary attitude from some is gettin extremely ridiculous. Until today it was Arteta and Giroud. Now it's Wenger.

Who is the next scapegoat for us on Wednesday lads?? We already have taken into Wilshere. A man who has played damn all for us with injury. A man who needs games. But no...after 3/4 games we are going to sell him in our fans wisdom. Gettin tedious now lads. It will take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The hyperbole and reactionary attitude from some is gettin extremely ridiculous. Until today it was Arteta and Giroud. Now it's Wenger.

Who is the next scapegoat for us on Wednesday lads?? We already have taken into Wilshere. A man who has played damn all for us with injury. A man who needs games. But no...after 3/4 games we are going to sell him in our fans wisdom. Gettin tedious now lads. It will take a bit of time.

The problem for jack is he won't get those games as long as Ramsey is in form. They can't both play CAM, that's clear.

I agree some of the criticism has been very ott from some on here but let's be honest we're 3 games in and have played extremely poor in all 3 with no stand out performances from anyone. We can only judge on what we've seen so far. We do need to be more optimistic and positive but that will come with better performances, of that I've no doubt.

Your post is hyperbowl.

Read above its a reasonable discussion on an Arsenal player, no one is calling for his head or blaming him for today. It's tedious that people can't discuss players in here unless it's positive,

My point was simply that I think he is a little lost in the starting 11 at the minutes and can't get fluency to his game, that is all no witch hunt no blame game just a discussion on our player

If someone wants to claim that the players are good enough to win the league then it's on them to say why they haven't done it.

• Advertisement

Your post is huperbowl.

Read above its a reasonable discussion on an Arsenal player, no one is calling for his head or blaming him for today. It's tedious that people can't discuss players in here unless it's positive,

My point was simply that I think he is a little list in the starting 11 at the minutes and can't get fluency to his game, that is all no witch hunt no blame game just a discussion on our player
    Apparently all the players are good enough to win the league. It's witchcraft or something why they haven't done it in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently all the players are good enough to win the league. It's witchcraft or something why they haven't done it in the last few years.

Think you're deluding yourself there, mate ;)

Needless to say i was in a lather in the duration of that match with the performance but overall in the end im actually quiet enthused with the result and the fact we got back into the game.

The Arsenal of previous years would have lost heart but this team found it in them to keep going and salvage something from the game. Acres upon acres of room for improvement but please god we'll start by securing Champions league football on Wednesday night.

Im accepting at the moment that the World cup has somehow affected our preparations for the new season as tbf it has for everyone but im confident we'll find a rhythm as the next few weeks progress. I would be concerned for Wilshere though. Really really needs to give up the petulence and focus on improving or he'll end up washed up at this rate.

BTW, Gotta love Aaron Ramsey. He just doesn't understand what the word quit means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So he was onside after all.

greendom wrote: »
    Think you're deluding yourself there, mate ;)
    So the players aren't good enough and we need some replacements?

niallo27 wrote: »

Just on MOTD and they showed it as clearly off??

So the players aren't good enough and we need some replacements?

I'm not entertaining this crap any more. Go and find your own answers, tell us about them, and then we can agree or disagree.

I'm not entertaining this crap any more. Go and find your own answers, tell us about them, and then we can agree or disagree.
    Simple question, do you think the current squad is good enough to win the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Specsavers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

On the whole Wilshere thing.

I'm not going to say he's going to be great or he's going to be rubbish, only he can live up to that potential.

But take Ramsey 2 years ago, everybody was slating him saying he wasn't goo enough for Arsenal get him out of the team.

Even Piers Morgan had a crack.

EsrQSeb.png?1

Lets not turn into those fans people. Like Ramsey, Wilshere has been injured A LOT, it's also been two games. Remember Wilshere against Marseille last season in the UCL and the opening exchanges against Bayern Munich, that's the type of Wilshere we are looking for.

And I argued this weeks ago, there's an influx of new players which leads to experimenting and getting used to one another styles. It will be at least another 3/4 weeks before the players are fully gelled if not more. Give the kid a chance he probably hasn't a proper role at the moment

• Advertisement

Simple question, do you think the current squad is good enough to win the league?
    no it's not. need a midfielder with defensive attributes and a centre back. Don't think we can really judge the team after this first week of the season though. Pre-season has been hugely disrupted by the World Cup and it will take a while for the team to be on all cylinders

What do you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

hopefully City will hammer Liverpool 5-0 and we won't see you on an Arsenal thread for quite a while.

no it's not. need a midfielder with defensive attributes and a centre back. Don't think we can really judge the team after this first week of the season though. Pre-season has been hugely disrupted by the World Cup and it will take a while for the team to be on all cylinders

What do you think ?
    I don't think it's good enough but it's better than last season's results showed.
    The trouble is that pointing out players playing poor is "scapegoating" them and no discussion of Wenger is allowed. It's somewhat annoying to be told nothing is wrong other than us not winning.

Good result today, means we are one point up on last season on the teams we have played.

Performance not good, team once again showed that Chambers, Sanchez and Debuchy haven't been fully integrated yet and there is a lack of understanding and fluidity. Similarly, Campbell showed flashes of being a good player but again the understanding wasn't there.

Ramsey showed the benefit of not being in the World Cup, running all day and getting the first goal of the comeback.

Debuchy, Mertesacker, Wilshere, the Ox, Giroud, Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla all looked like they are not fully back from the World Cup to one extent or another. Flamini has lost more pace.

However, despite all that criticism, the ability and spirit to keep going and to come back and get a point is different to previous seasons, to last season. If the team clicks in September and onwards, this could be a great season.

Wednesday is now a really important match, and it is only the result that matters, no interest in performance.

Final point, we do need a match thread, too many fans of other clubs coming in here to try and cause trouble.

I don't think it's good enough but it's better than last season's results showed.
    The trouble is that pointing out players playing poor is "scapegoating" them and no discussion of Wenger is allowed. It's somewhat annoying to be told nothing is wrong other than us not winning.

Glass half-empty view.

Glass half-full view is that we are still at the World Cup (this is not the Bundesliga or La Liga where you can ease yourself back in and the big matches are not scheduled until October) and that there is huge potential for improvement in play but that we are still getting results in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Surprised Sanchez went off wasn't that bad. Arsenal so far haven't looked good every player wants the ball to feet . Walcott would make a big difference. I think atm a 4-4-2 diamond could be useful for Arsenal as it would allow Sanchez to play alongside someone. Something like.

______________Szczesny_____________
    Debuchy______Mert______Koscielny___Gibbs
    ______________Flamini_______________
    ______Chamberlain______Ramsey______
    _______________Ozil________________
    _________Sanchez_____Giroud________

Just on MOTD and they showed it as clearly off??

Sky sports did the line thing and said he was onside.

Godge wrote: »
    hopefully City will hammer Liverpool 5-0 and we won't see you on an Arsenal thread for quite a while.

Bit harsh

Must have shifted because post match they did it and said 100% offside, same when BBC didn't. Sure doesn't matter now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

just leave it, we all know you are trolling, go back to your Liverpool forum and tell all your mates how you you're going to win the league and how nobody is going to believe you.

and if you are serious about the offside then you are an idiot.

"any part of his head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent typically being the goalkeeper)."

Naismith's big pudding head was miles offside about 100m in front of the last man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

No it showed him as being onside the first time but then when they showed it properly he was off by about half a yard.

Wasn't in any way debatable, he was off. Don't think it makes a difference myself, would only be clutching at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Has anyone found out why Sanchez came off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Don't feed the troll lads calm down and ignore him he'll feck off soon enough then :-)

Fescue wrote: »
    Has anyone found out why Sanchez came off?

Nope radio silence, it has to be a niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Poor performance today and he manner in which we conceded the second goal was infuriating.. But we showed character to get a result and there's something to be taken from that.. Big week coming up with the second qualifier, hopefully some new faces and a good result next week v Leicester.. There's plenty to criticise for sure and there's a big difference between having a moan and legitimately discussing and criticising out performance today.. I think we'll all agree there was a lot wrong out there.. Relieved we got a point... Onward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So is there any transfer talk going around today ,

No it showed him as being onside the first time but then when they showed it properly he was off by about half a yard.

Wasn't in any way debatable, he was off. Don't think it makes a difference myself, would only be clutching at straws.

That doesn't make sense. Onside the first time but not the 2nd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

They were using their special computer thing but they jumped the gun on it. The line was set on Naismith which made it look like he was on side (it's usually set on the last defender). When they showed it properly he was clearly offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Niallo he was off. Lads eexplaind it well. However it was tight. Marginal call in real time.

Worry about yer own team not us. Some of yer stuff earlier is pathetic. We like good debate from outside but not stupidity. Remember the best way to get to the top is to surpass the best ahead of you...not to drag those above down to your level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't know how you can post stuff like this and still moan about being called a troll. What would be the point in posting this even if you were right?

• Advertisement

Niallo he was off. Lads eexplaind it well. However it was tight. Marginal call in real time.

Worry about yer own team not us. Some of yer stuff earlier is pathetic. We like good debate from outside but not stupidity. Remember the best way to get to the top is to surpass the best ahead of you...not to drag those above down to your level.

I like talking football. If sky had said he was offside you would be saying the opposite. It's boring just talking Liverpool. It's obvious what's wrong with arsenal but your too stubborn to admit it. It's not a bad thing though. It's just shows your loyalty. Wenger brought ye success it's hard for ye to admit he is the problem.

So is there any transfer talk going around today ,

Liverpool are signing Ballotelli after Arsenal rejected him twice

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-turned-down-balotelli-twice_172850.html

Khedira hints at move

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2000278/sami-khedira-admits-hes-out-of-real-madrids-plans?

Podolski to go to make room for Manolas and Khedira, if the transfers in are to happen, someone has to leave for the 25-man rule.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/502665/Arsene-s-a-busy-man-Wenger-wants-Kostas-offloads-Podolski-and-eyes-Sami

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It's still early days but i don't like the look of our 4-1-4-1 formation, don't think it gets the best out of Ramsey or Ozil

Might come god yet but there my initial thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A friendly reminder to the people in here calling him a troll, that the last time I accused a poster of trolling I was banned.

Do so at your peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I like talking football. If sky had said he was offside you would be saying the opposite. It's boring just talking Liverpool. It's obvious what's wrong with arsenal but your too stubborn to admit it. It's not a bad thing though. It's just shows your loyalty. Wenger brought ye success it's hard for ye to admit he is the problem.

You like getting attention.

Your post count suggests you prefer discussing Arsenal to Liverpool.

That's fine by the way. I like it when you're here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

By the way, what so you mean when you say 'problem?'.

What 'problem' do we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

As soon as I saw the team yesterday I thought it was a huge mistake not having Giroud up top. Especially away from home having a physical presence who can just hold the ball is invaluable. At least Wenger corrected the error at half time.

The second Everton goal looked offside to me, but it was given away when Chambers dived in on the half way line. A lot of learning to do for the young lad and a new backup centre back with some experience just has to be signed if we want to get anywhere this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, when you worry someone is trolling, you have two options.

1. Report the post, and if the mods think it's breached the charter, we deal with it.
    2. Roll your eyes, scroll on to the next post and ignore the poster you don't like.

You do not have a third option which reads "Start attacking a poster and calling people trolls", because, quite simply, that actually drags the topic into more dispute that the poster you have a problem with.

For the record, a different opinion is not enough to warrant throwing "troll" comments around, nor is it against the charter to actually have a dissenting opinion in a topic, no matter what club they support or how much you disagree with their view. And IF the person you are calling a troll IS actually a troll...well done, you've given them exactly the response and reaction they wanted.

Report, ignore. Those two words should be your stance when there's a user you suspect of trolling. Attack the post if you must, argue your viewpoint, but do not attack the poster. This is a warning for your own protections; I appreciate people only want to strengthen their supertopic by facilitating proper discussions, but publically calling out people you don't like is the perfect way to actually NOT do that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As soon as I saw the team yesterday I thought it was a huge mistake not having Giroud up top. Especially away from home having a physical presence who can just hold the ball is invaluable. At least Wenger corrected the error at half time.

The second Everton goal looked offside to me, but it was given away when Chambers dived in on the half way line. A lot of learning to do for the young lad and a new backup centre back with some experience just has to be signed if we want to get anywhere this season.

I was excited when I heard Alexis was starting up top but it just didn't work. I think it was down to the formation more than anything though, as it was he was too isolated. I think it would have worked much better if we had played with a number ten rather than the flamini/jack/Ramsey midfield.

That formation worked great against City in the CS but just hasn't worked since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Rewatched the game again, we played quiet well actually

Ozil at fault for the first and chambers for the second (was def a foul and offside though)

We are still fairly toothless in attack, we were no threat until the last 10 mins

Wilshere was better than both Ramsey and Ox yesterday but he is out go to man now for criticisim

Ramsey as Having a mate start of the season he was brutal all 3 games but he has 3 goals so hard to complain

Ozil I thought was brilliant yesterday going forward he was the main man for the come back, still think he is wasted on the wings

On our tactics it's baffling why wenger would put ozil on the wing against the leagues top attacking fullback

If giroud. Arteta and Ramsey are out Wednesday it will make for a nervy night I think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement