Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What type of player is Khedira? Is he a breaking his bollox for the team defensive midfielder or is the elegant kind of DM who gets forward but occasionally messes up in his defensive duties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What type of player is Khedira? Is he a breaking his bollox for the team defensive midfielder or is the elegant kind of DM who gets forward but occasionally messes up in his defensive duties?

I wouldn't describe him as a DM, he more a multipurpose box to box Midfielder who is good in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kirby wrote: »
    You are an arsenal fan. He's an arsenal player. You should care.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these moralisers. I didn't care about the Giggs affair or that Bridge/Terry stuff. If Wilshere was doing any of that, it wouldn't bother me. It's not football related.

But players abusing their bodies while the fans pay their wages is a different story. They should be eating right, and they shouldn't be drinking, smoking, taking drugs, etc. That effects their performance.

If he showed up 3 stone overweight you would care because it impacts his performance. Why is it any different if he's smoking? It's not like hes a powerhouse. He's usually the smallest man out there. He needs every physical edge he can get and smoking wont be helping his stamina.

I disagree, its a bit on the moral high ground sitting in the stands eating a pie having a pint and demanding nothing of the like from a player.

Players abuse there bodies and minds in all sorts of ways, a lot is unreported and or people don't care, we have no idea how many times a player who has a poor game is in reaction to not looking after himself. if you think he is on his own at that level in having a smoke then you are mistaken.

Jack has a smoke, tbh it is probably better for him to have the odd one than deal with the mental challenge of giving it up. England players live in a pressure cooker he hasnt exactly gone over board in letting some of it out

I REALLY CANT BELEIVE ALL OF THIS OVER A SMOKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I think he should go to Jail!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw Blobby posted, thought it was a Khedira update, I am disappoint :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Trial by combat for Wilshere, vs Duncan Ferguson and Manuel Neuer in a steel cage.

It's the only fair way to settle this.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Saw Blobby posted, thought it was a Khedira update, I am disappoint :(

Two Khedira daily new's updates a day!!

I ain't getting paid enough for that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

jonny666 wrote: »
    Talksport saying there is no Arsenal interest in Khedria at all
    anyone who takes that joke of a station seriously needs a slap :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Talking to a good few Germans about football today and they all seem sure that Khedira is Arsenal bound, maybe it was just this article from Bild Sport though

qMIhpg0.jpg

Arsenal lures Khedira is the headline and for those German speakers among you

1azSXq8.jpg

sorry wasn't so big pre upload but you get the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Soups123 wrote: »
    I disagree, its a bit on the moral high ground sitting in the stands eating a pie having a pint and demanding nothing of the like from a player.

The person in the stand eating a pie isn't being paid a hundred grand a week and he hasn't signed a contract which hinges on his physical condition.

You can excuse it all you want but the bottom line is the club wont agree with you. He will receive another bollocking for smoking when he was told not to and for getting photographed doing it. And rightfully so. If he is stupid enough to smoke, he should at least do it in his own home away from the prying eyes. That way the club wont have to answer questions about it and when he's huffing and puffing his way through a game, people wont be blaming the club for being too soft.

Kirby wrote: »
    The person in the stand eating a pie isn't being paid a hundred grand a week and he hasn't signed a contract which hinges on his physical condition.

You can excuse it all you want but the bottom line is the club wont agree with you. He will receive another bollocking for smoking when he was told not to and for getting photographed doing it. And rightfully so. If he is stupid enough to smoke, he should at least do it in his own home away from the prying eyes. That way the club wont have to answer questions about it and when he's huffing and puffing his way through a game, people wont be blaming the club for being too soft.

True but he also can't sit there demanding complete dedication because he has paid a few quid to watch a match it is by choice not by force.

Huffying and puffying through a game? never seen that with Wilshire. We don't get to see the fines and warnings players get from clubs if taking a drag from a smoke it the biggest of his problems he will do well.

Players smoke all across the game, especially a lot of the europeans the outrage for Wilshire is pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jaysus lads we go a week without signing a world class player and everyone turns on poor Jack like bloody hens pecking ye are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm not surprised the Wilshire talk is happening but I am surprised there is so much considering you look set to sign Khedira considering plus him I think you have a squad that could challenge on all fronts.

Odd feeling Cazorla could leave though. Not Young, not likely to start and if he does it probably wouldnt be in his ideal position as that will be Ozil but if he does stay you will have some great options from the bench or to rotate with, I mean all this Wilshire talk and tbh he isn't likely to be in your starting 11 for me. Him, Arteta, Flamini, Diaby etc might just be Backup for your CM positions while Cazorla, Podolski, The Ox, Rosicky, Gnabry and even Campbell could rotate through your AM slots but wouldnt be expected to start, not to mention players like Sanchez being able to play a few positions

League cup team could be tasty too with so many players looking to stake a claim for 1st team selection plus the touted youngsters like Zelalem.

Hope you don't sign Vlaar, don't think you will but saw him linked today, he would be sitting on the bench on all big games once everyone is fit and I think he deserves to start, though im sure Vermaelen thinks the same about himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anti smokers always have to shout the loudest.

I've never seen Wilshere huff and puff through a game, notice how the club never released statement on it it's only the media and some sections who they fed into hysteria doing all the barking about it.

He took one drag off a smoke give over for fcuk sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Seems like the Khedira rumours are nonsense, his agent says he's in talks with nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Seems like the Khedira rumours are nonsense, his agent says he's in talks with nobody.

There is never this much smoke without fire, whether we sign him or not you can be assured there was or has been some contact between clubs and player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Tis all a storm in a tea cup. It's his off season and he's not the only footballer to be caught smoking, nor will he be the last. A quick image search on google will show you a long list of high profile footballers chugging on a ciggie.

I genuinely thought that there was a flurry of transfer goodness on this forum today. Is there something about this time of year when a lot of Arsenal supporters have to be at their most miserable about the club? We've signed Alexis Sanchez, about to complete Debuchy and rumoured to be in for Khedira and there's still griping about the club/players. Tis the off season, treat it like so and give yerselves a break!

Here's an entertaining list of the top ten footballers that smoke
    http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/10/05/top-ten-smoking-footballers-jack-wilshere-lionel-messi-and-more/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Latest on sky sports transfer page is Theo Walcott future......liverpool and Utd sniffing around. Better be bull**** I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Latest on sky sports transfer page is Theo Walcott future......liverpool and Utd sniffing around. Better be bull**** I tells ya.
    No chance walcott is going anywhere this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wilshire pictured with a crack pipe would have been interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Who'd be the most likely to leave in wonder. Rosicky? Pod? Santi? We're gonna sign a top midfielder and I doubt everyone will stay

Who'd be the most likely to leave in wonder. Rosicky? Pod? Santi? We're gonna sign a top midfielder and I doubt everyone will stay

I doubt any of those will leave.

Podolski is on very high wages that he'd never get back at Koln (which i'm guessing thats who he'd return to)

Cazorla only just signed a new contract and is also probably on high wages.

And I'd be quite sad of Rosicky was to leave now... I'd like to see him retire we us or Dortmund.

gosplan wrote: »
    Wilshire pictured with a crack pipe would have been interesting.

And a few whores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Free Sky Sports day on August 16th and we are at home to Crystal Palace.
    All 7 Sky Sports channels free for the day if you have Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

If anyone is having withdrawals after the world cup the pats games at the minute is a great game

All bull I'd say sure they even get his age wrong

Metro are on par with Daily Mail for reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Arsenal weigh in at 16th for most valuable sports team according to Forbes. Not bad. Only behind Real Madrid, Barca, Man United and Bayern Munich in terms of football teams.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ejlgl/16-arsenal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

HazDanz wrote: »
    Arsenal weigh in at 16th for most valuable sports team according to Forbes. Not bad. Only behind Real Madrid, Barca, Man United and Bayern Munich in terms of football teams.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ejlgl/16-arsenal/

Couldn't have done it without Arsene Wenger.

Kike Marin just posted this about Khedira -
    Arsenal yet to submit a bid, whilst Real want to sell the player quickly

Only a few hours ago he confirmed that the Marca article was legit :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Honigstein on BBC radio a few minutes ago: "I've been told by someone close to the situation that Khedira is keen to go to AFC." Hmm, a lot of conflicting info. Hopefully Debuchy will be announced tomorrow to provide us with a distraction from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seems to be a lot of journos guessing whats going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I've heard from a source who's pretty close to the situation that Khedira wants to move to London as he wants to play beach volleyball with Arsene and Ozil against Fabregas and Mourinho. Podolski has been rumoured to want to be the leading Arsenal cheerleader shouting "ARSENAL" repeatedly in Fabregas's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm not really invested too much in the khedira stories so they're not bothering me a lot . I guess it's because we already have a big signing out of the way and there are other options for the position for us.

wonga77 wrote: »

Could have been worse....could have been a tattoo!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wilshere back in training 3 days earlier than he should be. I was one that criticized him but fair play, hopefully he has a great pre season now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Could have been worse....could have been a tattoo!!!! :eek:

Or the guy who wrote the article. His picture is hilarious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Discussing moderation in thread is against the charter. If you have any questions regarding moderation PM me or any of the mods, don't bring it up in thread.

The 2 yellow cards = a 1 month ban rule was just for the duration of the world cup while the forum was open. The regular rules about cards and bans are in the charter for everyone to see.

And theo back on the pitch today good signs

1941104_814244045261887_2068025370_n.jpg

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wilshere back in training 3 days earlier than he should be. I was one that criticized him but fair play, hopefully he has a great pre season now.

~Yep good to see it....really hope he has a strong season and stays injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Raf32 wrote: »

Fair play to his PR people. They know that if people swallow the newspaper negative spin bs that they'll swallow their positive spin bs as well. Good work all round really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Fair play to his PR people. They know that if people swallow the newspaper negative spin bs that they'll swallow their positive spin bs as well. Good work all round really.

He said long before the Vegas trip that he was starting pre season early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So the latest word is that Khedira is trying to renew with Real.

Never liked him anyway... *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Whatever about midfielders, we really need to get our skates on and sign a few defenders. A CB and a CB who can also cover RB, like an Ivanovic type really is critical I feel.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Whatever about midfielders, we really need to get our skates on and sign a few defenders. A CB and a CB who can also cover RB, like an Ivanovic type really is critical I feel.

CB will be a tough one to get in. I see Tommy V staying. And whoever we get in will have an incredibly tough job breaking the mertescielny axis of awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Did Arsene forget where he hid Debuchy? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anybody got any idea on dubuchy ?

Newcastle fans aren't particularly upset about losing him, I didn't watch any French world cup games so I don't know how he performed but he is ahead of Sagna but these things can be more political rather than talent based

As for Jack, I don't read the rags so I don't care but his demeanor on the pitch is atrocious at times, I would like to see him improve that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement