Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was excited when I heard Alexis was starting up top but it just didn't work. I think it was down to the formation more than anything though, as it was he was too isolated. I think it would have worked much better if we had played with a number ten rather than the flamini/jack/Ramsey midfield.

That formation worked great against City in the CS but just hasn't worked since.

I don't think 4-1-4-1 will work with ozil in the team

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree though I think he was probably our best player yesterday, particularly in the second half. He was constantly getting the ball into the box but the runners weren't there.

I think Jack should come off at half time not due to him being any worse than Ramsey but because the shape if the team needed to changed and Ramsey is liable to score even when he's playing bad as he proved again.

Jack will come good he just needs to sort out that reckless side to his game, the tackle was a real face palm moment for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I was excited when I heard Alexis was starting up top but it just didn't work. I think it was down to the formation more than anything though, as it was he was too isolated. I think it would have worked much better if we had played with a number ten rather than the flamini/jack/Ramsey midfield.

That formation worked great against City in the CS but just hasn't worked since.

I don't think we will see Alexis up top on his own for a while.

He looks so small next to your average premiership CB, he doesn't have the pace of Theo to make it kind of work either.

Think we will see Campbell up there as the season progresses, he has the pace, physical attributes and energy to play there.

Arsene will have a hard job finding a place for Alexis if Theo comes back strong.

Ozil, Theo, Ramsey, Arteta, CF are nailed on starters as it is.

Where is Alexis going to fit?

Arsene will have to sign a world class CM ( not going to happen ) to have a 2 man midfield, without that extra CM he has to play 3 in midfield to make up for Arteta's/squad's deficiencies.

We could have 2 very expensive marque signings struggling together season.

Not good.

Very few formations work with Ozil, frustrating.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Very few formations work with Ozil, frustrating.

Stick him behind the striker

Theo and alexis on bothe wings

Giroud up top, ozil in the 10

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think we will see Alexis up top on his own for a while.

He looks so small next to your average premiership CB, he doesn't have the pace of Theo to make it kind of work either.

Think we will see Campbell up there as the season progresses, he has the pace, physical attributes and energy to play there.

Arsene will have a hard job finding a place for Alexis if Theo comes back strong.

Ozil, Theo, Ramsey, Arteta, CF are nailed on starters as it is.

Where is Alexis going to fit?

Arsene will have to sign a world class CM ( not going to happen ) to have a 2 man midfield, without that extra CM he has to play 3 in midfield to make up for Arteta's/squad's deficiencies.

We could have 2 very expensive marque signings struggling together season.

Not good.

When everyone's fit Alexis will either play on the left or if Wenger persists on playing Ozil/Santi out there he might play him through the middle behind Giroud. I don't think his place in the team is under threat from anyone. Would be very surprised if we don't see him up front again at some point too, possible even during the week if Olly is injured like Wenger said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

I agree though I think he was probably our best player yesterday, particularly in the second half. He was constantly getting the ball into the box but the runners weren't there.

I think Jack should come off at half time not due to him being any worse than Ramsey but because the shape if the team needed to changed and Ramsey is liable to score even when he's playing bad as he proved again.

Jack will come good he just needs to sort out that reckless side to his game, the tackle was a real face palm moment for me.

Buying Ozil and playing him wide is like limiting a Ferrari to the inside lane of a motorway. If you spend that amount of money on a player, you play your best player in their best position. Arshavin's talent was wasted out wide irrespective of how tubby/lazy you thought he was and how often was the worlds greatest striker sent on to play on the wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Fair play to chambers.

Thrown in the deep end and doing well. Reminds me of Jenkinson situation.

That would be ideal.

We would get slaughtered against good teams with a 2 man midfield.

We struggled with 3 against Everton yesterday.

Is there even in a midfielder in the world that could control midfield with 2 flying wingers, a no.10, striker.

I don't know anyone that plays like that.

Bayern, Madrid, Barca can't even manage it.

• Advertisement

That would be ideal.

We would get slaughtered against good teams with a 2 man midfield.

We struggled with 3 against Everton yesterday.

Is there even in a midfielder in the world that could control midfield with 2 flying wingers, a no.10, striker.

I don't know anyone that plays like that.

Bayern, Madrid, Barca can't even manage it.

I think it can be done if we get in another midfielder esp of that midfielder is khedira

You showed a lot of guts to dig that result out yesterday tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm really concerned about Alexis, either

A. He is injured
    B. Wenger broke his molde and took him off due to tactic & denting his confidence
    C. He may have done something to annoy Arsene in the dressing room.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You showed a lot of guts to dig that result out yesterday tbh.

Definitely, the WC is definitely effecting a lot of the big clubs due to the little pre season they had.

Digging in and getting results shows huge improvement on the mental front

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm really concerned about Alexis, either

A. He is injured
    B. Wenger broke his molde and took him off due to tactic & denting his confidence
    C. He may have done something to annoy Arsene in the dressing room.

Wenger said he was fine he just wanted a physical presence up front

Wenger said he was fine he just wanted a physical presence up front

I don't buy that tbh. Why wouldn't he switch him position then? He was as good a threat as we had.

Wenger has never substituted a player like that and especially not a new one.

Do you not think it very odd ? Maybe Im just paranoid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't buy that tbh. Why wouldn't he switch him position then? He was as good a threat as we had.

I wonder if Wenger asked Sanchez to do specific things up front, like get in the box. On failing to do this, he didn't have a single touch in the Everton box in the first half, he hooked him?

If Sanchez plays up front it must be part of a two in my opinion. Otherwise he is best off on the flanks.

Why he persists with Ozil out wide is reprehensible in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Well it seemed to work so fúck it tbh.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Well it seemed to work so fúck it tbh.

All 3 subs worked very well for an apparently tactically unable manager.

Just worried about our new star man all 3 above have negative consequence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think you're being paranoid. It's not usual for Wenger to make a sub so early, but it was desperately needed. I would have probably kept Sanchez on as he'd be a threat from the wings, but he did very little up top yesterday because Everton defended so well. Who do you take off? Özil needs gametime and Chamberlain looked our only threat at that time. No matter who he took off, people would be questioning it but at the end of the day he turned the match around with his subs. Cazorla setting up Ramsey and Giroud with the winner.

Fescue wrote: »
    I wonder if Wenger asked Sanchez to do specific things up front, like get in the box. On failing to do this, he didn't have a single touch in the Everton box in the first half, he hooked him?

If Sanchez plays up front it must be part of a two in my opinion. Otherwise he is best off on the flanks.

Why he persists with Ozil out wide is reprehensible in my opinion.

Possibly.

I would hope we see Ozil more centrally as the season moves on, for a first game back out left was sensible . He was very good in the second have coming in through the middle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Possibly.

I would hope we see Ozil more centrally as the season moves on, for a first game back out left was sensible . He was very good in the second have coming in through the middle

Well whatever the reason, it's a very, very bold move to hook your marquee signing 45 minutes into his second game.

L'prof wrote: »
    I think you're being paranoid. It's not usual for Wenger to make a sub so early, but it was desperately needed. I would have probably kept Sanchez on as he'd be a threat from the wings, but who do you take off? Özil needs gametime and Chamberlain looked our only threat at that time. No matter who he took off, people would be questioning it but at the end of the day he turned the match around with his subs. Cazorla setting up Ramsey and Giroud with the winner.

Maybe but that ain't great for Sanchezd confidence given he was far from our worse player. Sense would suggest keeping him on the wing we needed goals and he is one of our biggest threats.

If it was tactical fair play to Arsene because it took balls. But for the player it won't help

You're reading too much into it, Sanchez will be fine.

You're reading too much into it, Sanchez will be fine.

Maybe, I've agreed to a bet to be off the drink for 2 months, this is my first sober Saturday and Sunday for a long while my brain has too much room to think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Maybe but that ain't great for Sanchezd confidence given he was far from our worse player. Sense would suggest keeping him on the wing we needed goals and he is one of our biggest threats.

If it was tactical fair play to Arsene because it took balls. But for the player it won't help

It's one game, I don't think it will affect him too much. If it happened that it was a regular occurrence and he found himself coming on from the bench a lot, then maybe but I really can't see that happening. Probably start up top midweek, hopefully Besiktas won't be as resolute at the back and he can make a better impression.

Okay I'm done now here is the quote from Arsene

The manager also allayed any fears of an injury blow to £35million forward Sanchez, who was a surprise substitution at the break: “Sanchez isn’t injured, it was just a straight swap.

"At the moment he is not completely ready physically. He knows he is not at his best but when he is his confidence will come back."

L'prof wrote: »
    I think you're being paranoid. It's not usual for Wenger to make a sub so early, but it was desperately needed. I would have probably kept Sanchez on as he'd be a threat from the wings, but he did very little up top yesterday because Everton defended so well. Who do you take off? Özil needs gametime and Chamberlain looked our only threat at that time. No matter who he took off, people would be questioning it but at the end of the day he turned the match around with his subs. Cazorla setting up Ramsey and Giroud with the winner.

Don't think anyone would have questioned the decision if it was Jack that was taken off but then I suppose maybe Wenger didn't want to sacrifice numbers in central midfield.

Maybe, I've agreed to a bet to be off the drink for 2 months, this is my first sober Saturday and Sunday for a long while my brain has too much room to think

2 months holy shít :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Was away yesterday so only got to watch the game in full now. Am...what is with the Wilshere criticism?? Jeez he wasn't stand out but he was not as bad at all as I was reading here. What are people expecting? Ramsey was similar to him yet obviously gets a free ride cos he gets goals and rightly so. But some of the Jack stuff is ridiculous. A few too many been influenced by the two Jamies last week. As Arseblog said there are single cell organisms that he would rather listen too about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Was away yesterday so only got to watch the game in full now. Am...what is with the Wilshere criticism?? Jeez he wasn't stand out but he was not as bad at all as I was reading here. What are people expecting? Ramsey was similar to him yet obviously gets a free ride cos he gets goals and rightly so. But some of the Jack stuff is ridiculous. A few too many been influenced by the two Jamies last week. As Arseblog said there are single cell organisms that he would rather listen too about football.

For me i didnt think Wilshere was that poor yesterday but we cant be accommodating him and be pushing Ozil out wide. i dont see the point in it. Also i feel he takes away from Ramseys game and no coincidence his last two goals have happened with Jack off. The two of them are always running into the same space.

• Advertisement

I agree, he definitely hasn't set the world alight but doesn't deserve even half of the criticism that he's getting.

Do you have your own opinion rather than just complaining about others?

Nobody blamed Wilshire yesterday, the discussion was on his overall progress at the club. We like Wilshire, he is Arsenal through and through.

My opinion is that he isn't developing or pushing on, maybe it's the injuries, maybe it's the mental side of dealing with how Ramsay has pushed on, maybe something else.

Personally I think he seems a little lost almost, can't get fluency to his game and at times is showing his frustration , and is running into occupied spaces. Can he develop to Ramsey level? For sure he can.

To avoid this being considered negative I love the guy and was a bright star during some difficult days a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

It's like being in that film Groundhog Day supporting Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

2 months holy shít :pac::pac:

I'm now considering it doing my first hungover morning with a newborn.

Roll on Besiktas and hopefully a more fluid match ready Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Best of luck to Gooner Mo Farah who is running in the Men's 2 Miles in Birmingham today! Race start time is 16:58 BST (last event of the day).

http://www.diamondleague-birmingham.com/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/

Ancelotti confirms Khedira is staying. hopefully we can get Carvalho so

There are genuinely fans out there who think Coutinho is better than Ozil, that has made my week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ancelotti confirms Khedira is staying. hopefully we can get Carvalho so

Early days, I know, but we need to get someone to do a bit of bossing. The draw yesterday felt like a victory, after going 2 down so early. We have the talent, we just need one dynamic player to gel the team.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Early days, I know, but we need to get someone to do a bit of bossing. The draw yesterday felt like a victory, after going 2 down so early. We have the talent, we just need one dynamic player to gel the team.

Carvalho looks an absolute unit, cant see us being bullied if we got him

• Advertisement

williamclassico.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

That's it in a nutshell. Plan A should be play up to Giroud, he lays it back to Ozil, he plays it wide to Walcott/Chamberlain/Sanchez, they cross for Giroud to tap in. Easy eh? ;)

Where would one pick up a gunnersaurus cuddly toy lads? My brother just had a son and I thought it would be a good way to get him early :pac:

There really are some players that are underperforming who can do better.

Ozil, Santo, ox, jack to name a few.

Wenger needs to get more out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Where would one pick up a gunnersaurus cuddly toy lads? My brother just had a son and I thought it would be a good way to get him early :pac:

Sign him up as a junior gunner! I signed my daughter up and got a gunnersaurus toy in the welcome pack!

wawaman wrote: »
    Sign him up as a junior gunner! I signed my daughter up and got a gunnersaurus toy in the welcome pack!

I don't know if I'd get away with that, the poor child was only born on Wednesday and has already been photographed in a United jersey and an LFC blanket. I'm trying to be sly by using a dinosaur to my advantage :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/household/afc-18-gunnersaurus-pillow-pet/invt/a8648

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

There really are some players that are underperforming who can do better.

Ozil, Santo, ox, jack to name a few.

Wenger needs to get more out of them.

Ah Jack it was Ozils first game of season and he certainly grew into it as the game wore on.

ronjo wrote: »
    Ah Jack it was Ozils first game of season and he certainly grew into it as the game wore on.

I agree just talking about since he came.

He has been OK but we all know he is capable of much more.

Hopefully we see it this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Outside of the rag speculation I wonder who are we genuinely looking at in the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    Outside of the rag speculation I wonder who are we genuinely looking at in the last few days

Ancellotti has said that Kheidera is happy and Is staying put so that leaves Manolas and Carvallo. If we lose on Weds I imagine we'll be setting our sights somewhat lower.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement