Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i think we did very well yesterday 2-0 down with seven minutes to go and come back to 2-2.
    i dont remember that happening in years,usually we would have conceded a few more and threw in the towel.
    delighted for giroud.
    Still dont think we got the praise we deserved from MOTD as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

blingrhino wrote: »
    i think we did very well yesterday 2-0 down with seven minutes to go and come back to 2-2.
    i dont remember that happening in years,usually we would have conceded a few more and threw in the towel.
    delighted for giroud.
    Still dont think we got the praise we deserved from MOTD as usual.

Thought it was fair, we weren't very good for 80+ minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd get away with that, the poor child was only born on Wednesday and has already been photographed in a United jersey and an LFC blanket. I'm trying to be sly by using a dinosaur to my advantage :D

Arsenal online shop or eBay I suppose. If his dad doesn't support Arsenal though, I'm not sure if bother. If I had a kid and anybody bought him other clubs memorabilia it'd be goin straight in the bin :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

L'prof wrote: »
    Arsenal online shop or eBay I suppose. If his dad doesn't support Arsenal though, I'm not sure if bother. If I had a kid and anybody bought him other clubs memorabilia it'd be goin straight in the bin :D

He was a Liverpool fan as a kid but stopped following them a long time ago. Doesn't really care for soccer anymore. His wife's extended family are all Liverpool, our other brother and our father is United. At the moment the father would rather see the kid be a United supporter than let the in laws get their way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

greendom wrote: »
    Ancellotti has said that Kheidera is happy and Is staying put so that leaves Manolas and Carvallo. If we lose on Weds I imagine we'll be setting our sights somewhat lower.

I don't agree with this as Arsenal are a huge step up from Sporting Lisbon even if we didn't make the Champions League, if he doesn't want to come and help us fight for Champions League next year then fúck em IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this as Arsenal are a huge step up from Sporting Lisbon even if we didn't make the Champions League, if he doesn't want to come and help us fight for Champions League next year then fúck em IMO.

it would probably be more to do with us being down 25 million as a result of not making the champions league. prob have to bargain buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Raf32 wrote: »
    it would probably be more to do with us being down 25 million as a result of not making the champions league. prob have to bargain buy.

No, we should easily have enough for Carvalho with or without Champions League.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    No, we should easily have enough for Carvalho with or without Champions League.

I know but seems like we are waiting on the money from qualification according to a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was away yesterday so only got to watch the game in full now. Am...what is with the Wilshere criticism?? Jeez he wasn't stand out but he was not as bad at all as I was reading here. What are people expecting? Ramsey was similar to him yet obviously gets a free ride cos he gets goals and rightly so. But some of the Jack stuff is ridiculous. A few too many been influenced by the two Jamies last week. As Arseblog said there are single cell organisms that he would rather listen too about football.

With regards to Wilshere I believe he will come good.
    I found that in yesterday's game he was slow in making his mind up what to do with the ball and lost possession a lot as a result. It nearly cost us dearly in the first half on at least one occasion. On another occasion in the first half he was put through but instead of shooting from 8/9 yards with his left he tried to beat his man thus losing possession and a good scoring chance. He just seems a bit betwixt and between at the moment and maybe lacking a bit in confidence. He will come good in time.

I would have replaced him at half-time too and I like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Raf32 wrote: »
    I know but seems like we are waiting on the money from qualification according to a few.

I'd imagine guaranteeing qualification will mean a biggie coming our way in addition to a CB.

If you'd to choose I think spending on a DM would probably be the way to go and give them this season to bed in with Arteta still being ~1st choice initially.

We can probably get by with Alexis/Ollie/Theo for the forward options but you'd like to see that taken care of in January. Hopefully PSG will be itching to free up some funds and Cavani might be gettable.

We'll have a very strong squad then.

Sanogo & Gnabry need loans to teams where they'll be starting day in, day out.

• Advertisement

With regards to Wilshere I believe he will come good.
    I found that in yesterday's game he was slow in making his mind up what to do with the ball and lost possession a lot as a result. It nearly cost us dearly in the first half on at least one occasion. On another occasion in the first half he was put through but instead of shooting from 8/9 yards with his left he tried to beat his man thus losing possession and a good scoring chance. He just seems a bit betwixt and between at the moment and maybe lacking a bit in confidence. He will come good in time.

I would have replaced him at half-time too and I like him.

I think he will too. He's definitely not hiding which is good. Just not coming off for him at the moment. Similar to another young midfielder we have; and we all know how he's turned out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Wilshere is very much in the same situation Ramsey was two seasons ago... trying to hard and overcomplicating things as a result. He really needs to go back to basics, keeping it one touch mostly, and just get the rhythm back into his passing.

On a similar note though, Wilshere needs games but doesn't quite fit into a midfield with Ozil/Ramsey/Cazorla all looking to run into the same spaces he's going for. I feel he could probably be pushed further back down the field, work on the defensive side of his game and focus on passing. He's tenacious enough in the tackle, so if he could just add a little bit of defensive intelligence to what he does he could potentially take over the holding role before being gradually pushed further up the field as his confidence grows.

It's tough to actually place Wilshere; he's not really a #10, he's not really defensively minded and he's not really a box to box player either though if you pushed me that's where I'd categorize him.

He really needs to find himself a position or he probably risks being a jack of all trades/master of none. If I was him I'd be trying to model myself on Scholes because he strikes me as that kind of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wilshere will play in Ramseys position on Wednesday night and he will probably play a blinder.
    Playing both of them doesn't seem to work just yet, maybe in time they will figure something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

cson wrote: »
    It's tough to actually place Wilshere; he's not really a #10, he's not really defensively minded and he's not really a box to box player either though if you pushed me that's where I'd categorize him.

He really needs to find himself a position or he probably risks being a jack of all trades/master of none. If I was him I'd be trying to model myself on Scholes because he strikes me as that kind of player.

That's why I think pushing him deeper would be better for him at this age. Take Fabregas for example, he started off playing very deep for us and rarely got very high up the pitch in his early easons with his. It was gradual, but largely only in the last few seasons with us that he was given the freedom to push up the field.

Something similar happened with Ramsey too, when Fabregas first left Wenger tried to put him straight into the playmaker role but he simply wasn't economical enough on the ball. In the end, he was played deeper and gradually found himself as a footballer with the game opening up in front of him rather than behind him.

I think comparing Wilshere to Scholes though is fallacy. Scholes started off as a striker for starters, and had a knack for scoring long before he became a first team member at Utd. Secondly, he had probably the best passing range in living memory, but given that english football didn't really know how to use his abilities, spent more time playing long diagonals from deep to find wingers behind the lines than he did playing high up the field in tight spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Wilshere really is a coward!

I've reported this comment twice, can't believe that it's not been actioned as personal abuse of the player and a trolling comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I have no doubt Wilshere will come good, probably not a great partnership with Ramsey similar job etc but I think he has a lot to come, he gets targeted by opposition and then ends up maybe trying too hard. Given time I think he will be a great player but needs to get his confidence right and temperament right too. In a couple of years I think he will a brilliant player but for now I would be happy to see a bit less of him starting and using him as cover and resting Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just saw the full game. And although I can understand the frustration of fellow gooners in here, as always I like to see the glass half full.

Defensively I think we were quite solid. Obviously there is room for improvement as there was the odd mis-communication but it is still early in the season (and Mert was playing left instead of right in the center back pairing), but bottom line is that apart from the 2 goals Everton created very few chances (I can't even recall a save from Sczesney). That obviously could go down to us playing better and/or Everton not being up to speed yet.

The big worry for me: It took us 68 minutes to have a shot on target. Even considering that we might have been cautious (not to be humiliated), it's not an aspect of the game to gloat about.

Wenger has a strong midfield and he has a very good opportunity to change the formation slightly depending on the opponent. Here's hoping that he will.

In regards to Özil, I don't mind him playing on the wings or even better on a free roaming position. With the quality he has, he can create game from the sides too-in the game last night, there were at least 4-5 occasions that he managed to find someone completely on their own. That, of course, presumes that the other players will be able to do something with the ball-and yesterday most of our attacking players (mainly Ox and Ramsey) had a mediocre game.

Giroud I think will be a debate all year long. The goal he scored was very good, but he missed a couple of chances (especially the one on the beginning of the 2nd half), that you'd expect him to finish them. I think he will score quite well and I also think that goals will come from the midfield too so not overly worried of how many he scores - I will be happy with 20 in the BPL.

As for Wilshere: I think the problem is that he doesn't stay focused for the whole duration of the game. He can have moments of brilliance and stupidity-both in a matter of minutes. That's the main thing he needs to focus on, the rest will come with time.

One priority for me at the moment for transfers: DMF. We can't possibly survive the whole year with just Arteta and Flamini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Just watched the match as I was away yesterday. Poor performance as has been said but very good result. Very impressed with Ramsey for the first goal. Nothing special in the finish just the belief he has that a ball would come eventually if he kept making those runs.

Wenger is more animated on the touchline this season? Seems that way to me. He was bulling towards the end of the first half. Confident he will get the team ticking properly over the coming weeks. I loved that he made a change at half time instead of waiting to see what happens after halftime.

The team are still making a lot of wayward passes though with people not sure of the right run to make going forward but that should leave us once the new players are bedded in.

Not sure about this 4-1-4-1 formation. Gives a nice rotation across our midfield but they are not gelling at the minute which I think is causing us to be caught on counters too much and just pretty frustrating football to watch atm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I watch most matches twice usually in the evening when the missus doses off.

Your judgement on many things gets clouded by frustration . I usually find the second stress free viewing makes me see positives I missed during the game.

The only games I don't re watch is the drubbings or a Derby loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Soups123 wrote: »

Your judgement on many things gets clouded by frustration . I usually find the second stress free viewing makes me see positives I missed during the game.

I love you

I watch some games again too particularly if we lose so I can try and see what went wrong.
    It is not the same though in hindsight as you already know the score.
    You get more passionate comments and views on the live match threads.
    I am not happy with any of our league or CL performances but we will get there. I have no doubt we'll win in midweek but our first-half performances will have to drastically improve.
    On another note if we had only drawn with Palace and then beat Everton many of us would be much happier yet we would still have 4 points either way.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I love you

You just realised your not the only one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

According to Di Marzio:
    Juventus have agree personal terms *in principle* with Podolski and are meeting with Arsenal tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I've reported this comment twice, can't believe that it's not been actioned as personal abuse of the player and a trolling comment.

Leave the modding to the mods please, if something is actioned (or not) it's not always done in public. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    According to Di Marzio:

I like Pod and it will be sad to see him go but I think young Campbell will offer more to the team in the long run so it wont be a huge loss in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

According to Di Marzio:

Good move for him and the club

Good move for him and the club

I would have liked him to stay one more year

I would have liked him to stay one more year

I'm not a fan of his never have been so I don't mind seen him off

Pod's wages alone would cover Monales & Carvalho.
    I'll be sad to see him go, but Campbell looks like a better player.

• Advertisement

Really? I love the Pod on and off the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Not a fan of him as a player or not a fan of him as a person?

Any word of Diaby?
    Is he really still here or is it a myth as I don't even see him in training videos?
    Does he exist?

Really? I love the Pod on and off the field

He knows how to play social media I will give him that

dorgasm wrote: »
    Not a fan of him as a player or not a fan of him as a person?

Purely as a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Any word of Diaby?
    Is he really still here or is it a myth as I don't even see him in training videos?
    Does he exist?

He's still coming to terms with being fully fit. It's a big thing for the lad to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Purely as a player

Ah yea, fair enough, we're in the same boat there. Based purely on his social media presence, he seems like a great guy to have in the camp, always look happy.

Purely as a player

He is quality off the bench and has scored some important goals. We need that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Steve wrote: »
    Leave the modding to the mods please, if something is actioned (or not) it's not always done in public. :)

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I love you

Mrs soups....that you? You should have dozed off by now! Mr soups is waiting to watch MOTD 2 ;-)

• Advertisement

He is quality off the bench and has scored some important goals. We need that

Very true..
    But we shouldn't be paying over 100K a week for an impact sub.

Very true..
    But we shouldn't be paying over 100K a week for an impact sub.

City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool (if they sign Balo), Bayern, Barca etc. all do

Top teams have options off the bench that are heavily waged. If a Pod can do it off the bench and is happy with that role then why not!

Unless Arsene has an ace up his sleeve !

if podolski goes, which looks likely, ill be disappointed if we dont add another forward player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Any word of Diaby?
    Does he exist?

you know, I keep forgetting about Diaby. He is fast becoming an urban legend.

Do we know what's the story with Giroud? It looks like Sanogo might not be an option for Wednesday-the official site show him as injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Irish Aris wrote: »
    you know, I keep forgetting about Diaby. He is fast becoming an urban legend.

Do we know what's the story with Giroud? It looks like Sanogo might not be an option for Wednesday-the official site show him as injured.

Campbell up front, he has a lovely first touch and puts himself about. I know I keep going on about him but I love this lads attitude really think he is going to be a huge player for us this season, came on yesterday and showed no fear, he made a huge impact I thought and played a major part in us turning the game around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Really can't see us selling Pod and replacing him. It's more like Arsene to stick with what he got than change things up

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will be sorry to see Pod go if that's true, that's a guaranteed 10-15 goals gone from the squad. Hopefully Campbell and Alexis can make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

My gripe at the moment is as follows:

We strengthened, fair enough but what about the fact that Sagna is a better payer than Debuchey and Vermalen a better player than Chambers? Monreal is a disaster both on and off the ball in my opinion. We are going backwards defensively. I am open to complete disagreement on that just how I felt looking at it yesterday.

It's also fairly clear we need a top class striker and have done since RVP left, in fact selling him was on of Wenger's biggest mistakes and by all accounts there was some ways it could have been avoidable. I won't do anyone the disservice of listing off the strikers from the clubs around us but the gulf in depth, experience and ability is absolutely huge. I can't see us winning the league until that is seriously addressed. Ozil and Sanchez are just wasted otherwise, we are playing so slowly in the final third, trying to link everything. Most goals we get end up being crosses in the end, I actually have been finding it pretty boring. At the Norwich home match last year, when it came off perfectly it is obviously unreal but it is a rare enough occurence to score goals like that.

I don't want to see Podolski go but it seems quite realistic in the grand scheme of things and one thing Wenger is, is pragmatic when it comes to the movement of players. Sentiment won't be very high on the list. Sad but we have dealt with a lot worse in the old player moving department and great to see him get his hands on the fa cup last year. #aha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My gripe at the moment is as follows:

We strengthened, fair enough but what about the fact that Sagna is a better payer than Debuchey and Vermalen a better player than Chambers?

Disagree on both counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sagna is a better payer than Debuchey and Vermalen a better player than Chambers

Sagna v Debuchy is much of a muchness but Debuchy has age on his side. As for Chambers, he will be a future England centre half and is already showing signs of being a far better player than Vermaelen is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement