Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Kirby wrote: »
    Disagree on both counts.

Removing potential, age and all other factors bar your match day team and a result. You think Chambers and Debuchy are genuinely better player and better for Arsenal than Sagna and TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Removing potential, age and all other factors bar your match day team and a result. You think Chambers and Debuchy are genuinely better player and better for Arsenal than Sagna and TV?

TV had one and half good season then he got injured then he wasn't never the same player. Chamber's at 19 looks like he could be the next John Terry. We made a mint out of selling TV, and bought in a player that will be world class.

Well The French Manager though Debuchy was better at this years World Cup. We got a very good replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Raf32 wrote: »
    if podolski goes, which looks likely, ill be disappointed if we dont add another forward player.

Sanchez, Campbell, Giroud, A returning Walcott and YaYa will do the job. don't be worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Chambers isn't even TV's replacement. Manolas or whoever we sign will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Attempting to slot in where I see people playing most this season:
    -------------------- Ospina -------------------
    ------------------ Szczesney ------------------
    -----------------------------------------------
    ------------- Chambers ---------------- Monreal
    Debuchy ------ Per ------- Koscielny ---- Gibbs
    ------------- Flamini -------------------------
    ------------- Arteta ------ Diaby -------------
    -------------------------- Wilshere -----------
    Campbell --------------------------------------
    Ox ---------------- Rosicky------------ Cazorla
    Walcott ------------Ramsey --------------- Ozil
    ------------------- Sanogo --------------------
    ------------------ Sanchez --------------------
    ------------------- Giroud --------------------

Also on the books: Gnabry, Coquelin, Zelalem, Miyaichi

I don't think losing Podolski has much of an impact, the goals he got last year should easily be covered by the return of Walcott and the addition of Sanchez (who was the hardest to pin down and will probably feature across the front three). And as we saw against Everton, the energy of someone like Campbell or Gnabry off the bench is probably more useful to us overall than Podolski's finishing (because that's pretty much all he offered to us).

What worries me is just the lack of natural width down the left. I think Wenger intends to start a playmaker there most of the time so you're more likely to see Ozil and Cazorla start wide. Tends to work ok when Gibbs is starting, he has enough pace to spread defence but when Monreal is there we look very lopsided and vulnerable against pace on our left flank.

Podolski talk is largely by the by, happy to have but happy to let go. No matter what way you look at it, the biggest gap in the squad is with the defenders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What do yous think our best starting XI is at the moment? Don't think even Wenger knows what it is just yet but I have picked my own team that I think would be our strongest just below here..........

20p4qk8.jpg

Obviously Arteta playing deeper in the midfield just in front of the back 4 and Ozil having the free role just floating around and making things happen behind Giroud, Sanchez and Campbell, this is the key area I feel, we must play Ozil in his central role because frankly he is wasted on the wing. Playing our best player out of position is the one thing I just cant understand from Wenger.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What do yous think our best starting XI is at the moment? Don't think even Wenger knows what it is just yet but I have picked my own team that I think would be our strongest just below here..........

20p4qk8.jpg

Obviously Arteta playing deeper in the midfield just in front of the back 4 and Ozil having the free role just floating around and making things happen behind Giroud, Sanchez and Campbell, this is the key area I feel, we must play Ozil in his central role because frankly he is wasted on the wing. Playing our best player out of position is the one thing I just cant understand from Wenger.

Campbell ahead of Walcott and Ox?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We don't even know out best formation yet don't mind team

Going to take a few weeks to get it all sorted and if we can keep picking up the points I will be very happy

Campbell ahead of Walcott and Ox?

Not ahead of Walcott, when he is fit he would come straight back into the team. I would have him ahead of Chamberlain at the minute, he seems to have a better impact from coming off the bench in the last 20 minutes doesn't do enough for me when he starts.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not ahead of Walcott, when he is fit he would come straight back into the team. I would have him ahead of Chamberlain at the minute, he seems to have a better impact from coming off the bench in the last 20 minutes doesn't do enough for me when he starts.

I'd have chamberlain ahead of Campbell all day long

• Advertisement

I'd have chamberlain ahead of Campbell all day long

I think he deserves to start a game to see what he can do its why I gave him the nod over the Ox, who I think has to step up to the mark this season, no doubting he has all the potential in the world but he has huffed and puffed the past couple of seasons without really delivering on a consistent basis (although injuries haven't helped his cause)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's too hard to choose a team right now, on paper it's easy and on paper we have a great squad, but the few games we have played i think we look more like a group of individuals rather than a team, chemistry is severely lacking and Wenger is having a shocker on team selection and tactics, he needs to fix it very VERY quickly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mirror linking us with Gustavo who we were in for last year. Probably just a case of picking a likely name out of a hat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Not expecting anything to happen until Thursday at the absolute earliest and that is only if we win Wednesday night. No Champions League = No big name players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dvemail wrote: »
    Not expecting anything to happen until Thursday at the absolute earliest and that is only if we win Wednesday night. No Champions League = No big name players.

If that's the case it must be purely financial, if United in their current situation can sign Di Maria I don't see why we can't bring in someone like Carvalho.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If that's the case it must be purely financial, if United in their current situation can sign Di Maria I don't see why we can't bring in someone like Carvalho.

I really want carvalho, think he is going to be a beast of a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's too hard to choose a team right now, on paper it's easy and on paper we have a great squad, but the few games we have played i think we look more like a group of individuals rather than a team, chemistry is severely lacking and Wenger is having a shocker on team selection and tactics, he needs to fix it very VERY quickly.

The team is looking very disjointed, I'm putting that down to the disjointed pre-season after the WC. Full credit to the team that they have knuckled down and got results without playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Definitely, we lose out on 30m plus a year, and you would have to give the player an extra financial incentive to join when there is no European football.

Also on Carvalho.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-deep-in-carvalho-negotiations-sporting-want-players-in-re

With some of the players mentioned being Gnabry, Sanogo, Ryo and Le Coq

I'm confident of a win against Leicester and I'm sure they have what it takes to beat Besiktas. I think in both matches we will be similarly frustrating to watch as the last few games though. Hopefully the team will be in better shape atfer the international break and be well up for it against City.

greendom wrote: »
    The team is looking very disjointed, I'm putting that down to the disjointed pre-season after the WC. Full credit to the team that they have knuckled down and got results without playing well.

I'm sick of excuses, Chelsea look great, city look great, no reason why we shouldn't. They did do well to dig out the draw, only time will tell tho.

P.S i really wish we knew who was who in the fantasy league :cool:

• Advertisement

I'm confident of a win against Leicester and I'm sure they have what it takes to beat Besiktas. I think in both matches we will be similarly frustrating to watch as the last few games though. Hopefully the team will be in better shape atfer the international break and be well up for it against City.

12:45 kick off on the Saturday, we could do we a few tactical injuries, especially for any long distance international trips

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

United will have to pay over the odds to get a big name player in because of the lack of CL. We will never pay over the odds so its essential we qualify.

I'm sick of excuses, Chelsea look great, city look great, no reason why we shouldn't. They did do well to dig out the draw, only time will tell tho.

Chelsea were pretty lucky to get the win on Saturday I thought. We hammered City 2 weeks ago.
    You want excuses for getting 4 points including a tough away match at Goodison ?

Chelsea played Burnley and Leicester and City have only played one game

Chelsea were pretty lucky to get the win on Saturday I thought. We hammered City 2 weeks ago.
    You want excuses for getting 4 points including a tough away match at Goodison ?

Chelsea were not lucky they were the dominant team for the entire game, they looked like a team played good football kept a clean sheet and scored two. We hammered City in a glorified friendly. I don't want excuses? i said i'm sick of them? Maybe your happy with the way we've been playing but i'm not.

Chelsea were not lucky they were the dominant team for the entire game, they looked like a team played good football kept a clean sheet and scored two. We hammered City in a glorified friendly. I don't want excuses? i said i'm sick of them? Maybe your happy with the way we've been playing but i'm not.

Chelsea have played two of the three promoted teams. We have four points with LOTS of room for improvement.

Waaah waaah waaah!!!

Why haven't we won the league yet?!

Waaaaaaah

There's huge room for improvement, but if they keep getting results as they edge their way there, then yes I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I don't think anyone is saying they are happy with the way we are playing. Fact is we got a draw away from home against Everton where we lost last season.

We got a result, whilst playing poorly. That's a very good sign in my books.

• Advertisement

The blind fandom in here and inability to discuss flaws or say anything bad about the team is unbelievably frustrating and annoying.

The blind fandom in here and inability to discuss flaws or say anything bad about the team is unbelievably frustrating and annoying.

No one is denying your right to complain?

The passing is not at the level it should be. we looked lose at times defensively. Sanchez hasn't clicked at all yet, Ox was disappointing when he got 90 minutes to show his potential on Saturday I could go on but I generally prefer to accentuate the positive. That's just the way I support the team.

I accept that not everyone shows their support in the same way and that's fine too.

But you're the one who's saying "I'm sick of excuses". Dude, its the second week of the season and only the first with the germans back. They may be excuses to you but rationalisation to others. Maybe take a longer view before you accuse people of making excuses for an underperforming team.

I never said they were, but the condescending comments i.e. Pappa Dolla and the constant denial about our team that goes on is annoying that's all. Look at how Button gets treated for his criticism of the team.

@greendom

What are you on about? Where has anyone said that we have played well?

We're just pointing out that it's stupid to be pissing and moaning after two weeks and making ridiculous comparisons to other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The average positions vs palace. Ramsey and Wilshere taking up the exact same position. They dont work together and its no coincidence Aaron looks far better without Jack, scoring his last two with him off the pitch. Santi should not be playing unless its as a #10, he is offering us no width. Alexis didnt either but it was his first game and I know he will settle.

Bv4GzfEIQAAj96l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I don't get all the worry at this stage.

Yes we are playing rubbish.
    Yes we need a dmf and cover at cb.
    Yes we need to win on Wednesday.

But
    We have 1 more point from the corresponding fixtures last year. Only 6 more to bridge the gap.
    We have 3 quality signings already made with more likely to come.
    United and Everton are already 3 and 2 points behind us in the race for the top

If we lose on Wednesday then it's time to start moaning but let's wait and see.

What are you on about? Where has anyone said that we have played well?

We're just pointing out that it's stupid to be pissing and moaning after two weeks and making ridiculous comparisons to other teams.

That's not what i'm talking about, i'm talking about people thinking a draw with everton is a good result when really we need more than that, saying chelsea and city look better than us is hardly a stupid comparison, despite the facts arsenal fans still seem to be in denial that we are not on the same level as those 2 teams...

Guys in here go on like it's 01/02 and we're the best team, all of our players are great but we're just unlucky, bad pre season, not gelling excuse excuse excuse...People saying Chambers is a better player than vermaelen?? If we sold Ozil and replaced him with Steve Sidwell i'm sure people would be like "oh steve is much better than Ozil" simply because he wears an Arsenal jersey now.

Etc, i don't want to rant and argue i'm just saying it's annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If we sold Ozil and replaced him with Steve Sidwell i'm sure people would be like "oh steve is much better than Ozil" simply because he wears an Arsenal jersey now.

To be honest, it's hard to take you seriously when you come out with rubbish like that.

Hey, i'm not the one who thinks that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Chambers is better than Verm, Chambers has come in looked solid and settled in brilliantly.

What has Verm done to show he's better?

His last two seasons he was a liability and made me nervous anytime coming on.

As for sick of the excuses no one has said were playing great but we're getting results and performing bad most can see its early days yet and the performances will come.

Coming in stamping your feet and hissing and pissing like someone having a tantrum doesn't do anyone any favours.

• Advertisement

That's not what i'm talking about, i'm talking about people thinking a draw with everton is a good result when really we need more than that, saying chelsea and city look better than us is hardly a stupid comparison, despite the facts arsenal fans still seem to be in denial that we are not on the same level as those 2 teams...

Guys in here go on like it's 01/02 and we're the best team, all of our players are great but we're just unlucky, bad pre season, not gelling excuse excuse excuse...People saying Chambers is a better player than vermaelen?? If we sold Ozil and replaced him with Steve Sidwell i'm sure people would be like "oh steve is much better than Ozil" simply because he wears an Arsenal jersey now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if everyone on here were as negative as you and Button for example, there's no way I'd bother to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think we all agree they havent clicked yet, the season after a WC is always the same and nearly all our squad was there. I expect it to be disjointed for another game or two.

A point away to Everton is a good point no matter what the performance, they have a great team, excellent manager and always make it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

i know what you're saying Bob, and it's understandable. Everyone just expresses themselves in different ways and some have longer patience or faith that things will settle or improve.

Personally I’m a little worried that our performances in the three competitive games so far have been insipid, I think AW doesn’t know the best team or formation and I think that’s worrying. I’m worried that he learned little to nothing from last seasons match vs everton, they used the same tactics against us and we played the same way, 2-0 down at half time as a result. Our draw was probably more luck than design.
    I’m worried that we’ll suffer against Chelsea and Liverpool.
    I’m worried that we’ll sell Podolski and not replace him adequately.

But I remain hopeful that we’ll get it together.

I still do not think we’re currently a championship team.
    Two major signings and we’ll see. But I am not sure we will make those signings. Although arsene does love a deadline day.

Ok ok, i will keep my opinions to myself and when we play well i will come in and say "yay we won i'm so happy".

I have to say I do think that a draw away at Everton is a decent result. It's an improvement on last year if nothing else. Obviously not the best result we could have hoped for though.

It's a stupid comparison because it's too small a sample size to be able to say that City and Chelsea are playing really well. They do both have excellent squads though.

Some people may be overly optimistic but I'll take that over people who throw a tantrum every time we don't play well or Fabregas gets an assist for Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if everyone on here were as negative as you and Button for example, there's no way I'd bother to post here.

I find the ones who are always positive as difficuly to communicate with as the ones that are always negative.

I like reasonable debate that allows for praise and criticism and whatever inbetween. What I like about this thread is that sometimes I come in with my opinion that I have formed from watching a player/game and am adament that is my stance only to read someone elses view point and realise my opinion is off.

Some say what they see others see what the want, the later normally has a better point of view!

If you pay attention to what i post in here you'd realize that's a stupid statement. I'm disappointed that we aren't playing well and wanted to express that. If we played great i'd express happiness. Just because i'm not so optimistic or blinded by fandom doesn't mean i'm throwing a tantrum or unjustly criticising the team like most are suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

According to L'Equipe Podolski has agreed a 3 year deal with Wolfsburg. Fee is something like 9 million quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

According to L'Equipe Podolski has agreed a 3 year deal with Wolfsburg. Fee is something like 9 million quid.

Interesting because i saw a gustavo link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Arseblog linking Portuguese paper relating to Carvalho move. Seems somewhat credible - seems like this one could drag out until the end of the week.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-deep-in-carvalho-negotiations-sporting-want-players-in-re

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement