Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Godge wrote: »
    They seem to have learned nothing from last season.

Do they ever :D They will be doing well to challenge again without Suarez who practically single handily won them games last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hopefully City win tonight, so the Pool can focus on their own team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Raf32 wrote: »
    Hopefully City win tonight, so the Pool can focus on their own team.

Sure if they lose it'll be because Balotelli didn't get to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I agree but it will be painful to listen to that shower if they win tonight.

They're worse than United lads ever were when they were at the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Anyways, I'm going to miss poldi, but if he moves it frees up the number nine shirt and 100k a week, a non hg spot in our squad for CL and the league.
    On the other hand we're losing goals from a team that currently can't afford to lose goals.
    I'll be OK if we replace him with a quality Do or CF.
    But I've a feeling we're not gonna.
    II must not get the hopes up.

• Advertisement

Season after the world cup/when the injured players get back/if we sign a player for position x.

Same thing every year. One week left in the transfer window, who do we fancy?

And the usual myth about the stadium being the issue pops up again. The team has had the 3rd or 4th highest wage bill pretty much the entire time. This wasn't a squad of part-timers getting 4th all the time, there was no big over-performance to get into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

And the usual myth about the stadium being the issue pops up again. The team has had the 3rd or 4th highest wage bill pretty much the entire time. This wasn't a squad of part-timers getting 4th all the time, there was no big over-performance to get into the top 4.

In a similar fashion couldn't you argue that we haven't been underperforming by not winning the league?

And that's also ignoring how much less we spent on transfer fees compared to other teams.

Of course the stadium has affected our ability to spend, how on earth is that a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jamie carragher would do your head in.

Neville talking sense.

In a similar fashion couldn't you argue that we haven't been underperforming by not winning the league?

And that's also ignoring how much less we spent on transfer fees compared to other teams.

Of course the stadium has affected our ability to spend, how on earth is that a myth?
    So par. Not exactly working miracles.

We were savvy with transfer fees but wage bills are more representative of quality I would've thought.

The myth is that Arsenal had no money, couldn't spend etc. etc. The turnover and outgoings matched league position very closely. There was no miracle.

Not the stadium is virtually paid off, massive increases in other income and still the old excuses are brought up as somehow relevant.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I just hope tonight that both teams go out there and enjoy themselves.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

So par. Not exactly working miracles.

We were savvy with transfer fees but wage bills are more representative of quality I would've thought.

The myth is that Arsenal had no money, couldn't spend etc. etc. The turnover and outgoings matched league position very closely. There was no miracle.

Not the stadium is virtually paid off, massive increases in other income and still the old excuses are brought up as somehow relevant.

I think the most accurate way of looking at it would be to combine the two to be honest, you can't ignore the fact that even the likes of Stoke spent tens of millions more than us in transfer fees.

Maybe not working miracles, (where did i say that?) but not exactly the complete and utter disaster than some people like to paint it as. They couldn't spend as much, that's a fact. And with the arrival of City and Chelsea I'm not sure how can't see why it was difficult for us to compete at the very top.

Now things are different, as you say, and we should certainly be looking to push on and expect more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I guess you could in the latter years, but to go from invincibles and champs league final to 4th and round of 32/16 was a huge step down and was tough to deal with, i guess you could argue we have been a consistently "good" team but we really should be a consistently great team, the next 2-3 years will be the real test of the stadiums worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

A myth? It's getting ridiculous now. And what ya fail to grasp is the reason we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league. Because we kept qualifying for the champions league we had to and could afford to keep the squad we had. That's the achievement and that's the correlation you see. Had any other side consistently do the same their wage bill would have surpassed us ie Liverpool and Tottenham. But they didn't and they couldn't. That was the achievement.

And our net spend was dire as it had to be with the squad we had to maintain for the level we were at. Over 8 years the stadium cost us between 50-60 million a year. Those are the facts. I know in football manager ya can gloss over things and start a new game but this is real life and its the harsh reality of Arsenal and finance over the last few years.

Anyone that thibks Arsene Wenger used the stadium as an excuse so he could happily not sign players and sell is best is deluded. Why on gods earth would the man with most to gain from success stand back and do nothing?? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

If you lose on Wednesday, are you automatically in the Europa League or do you have to play a final qualifier?

If you lose on Wednesday, are you automatically in the Europa League or do you have to play a final qualifier?

We won't lose so it won't be an issue.

We won't lose so it won't be an issue.

No fit striker, I love your optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I don't know and i don't want to find out!

Campbell is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Season after the world cup/when the injured players get back/if we sign a player for position x.

Stop moaning will ya :pac:

Defensive midfielder and a surprise signing would be nice. But the first one is hugely important for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

No fit Striker vs Besiktas option in Ba?

I like our chances.

Campbell is fit.

Exactly, no fit striker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Exactly, no fit striker ;)

You do releases Campbell is a strike..... Actually nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Campbell and with our midfield we should be good enough to win. Nothing about optimism, our team is far stronger then them.

I think the most accurate way of looking at it would be to combine the two to be honest, you can't ignore the fact that even the likes of Stoke spent tens of millions more than us in transfer fees.
    Yeah but for reasons we all know but can't mention on here there's certain managers whose transfer dealings aren't that useful a yardstick to measure against.
    Maybe not working miracles, (where did i say that?) but not exactly the complete and utter disaster than some people like to paint it as. They couldn't spend as much, that's a fact. And with the arrival of City and Chelsea I'm not sure how can't see why it was difficult for us to compete at the very top.

Now things are different, as you say, and we should certainly be looking to push on and expect more.
    Couldn't spend as much, not arguing otherwise. It's the fact that Wenger is beyond reproach now while matching what he should've been achieving rather than outperforming what was spent. It doesn't make sense to me.

A myth? It's getting ridiculous now. And what ya fail to grasp is the reason we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league. Because we kept qualifying for the champions league we had to and could afford to keep the squad we had. That's the achievement and that's the correlation you see. Had any other side consistently do the same their wage bill would have surpassed us ie Liverpool and Tottenham. But they didn't and they couldn't. That was the achievement.
    Spurs? Yeah not the best thing to look at :P Liverpool were fine til the owners tried to ruin the club.

[qquote]And our net spend was dire as it had to be with the squad we had to maintain for the level we were at. Over 8 years the stadium cost us between 50-60 million a year. Those are the facts. I know in football manager ya can gloss over things and start a new game but this is real life and its the harsh reality of Arsenal and finance over the last few years.

Anyone that thibks Arsene Wenger used the stadium as an excuse so he could happily not sign players and sell is best is deluded. Why on gods earth would the man with most to gain from success stand back and do nothing?? Madness.[/QUOTE]
    Again, I'm not denying that we couldn't splash 50 million when we felt like it. My point is that Wenger is beyond reproach for being par with what he had in the "lean times". And realisitically there's been money available for at least 2, more like 3 years and yet net spend since summer 2012 has been:
    2011/12: +£22 million
    2012/13: ~0
    2013/14: ~£32 million (less Santos, Frimpong, Chamakh)
    Summer 2014: ~£20 million

Positive trend but it's incredibly gradual and doesn't even cover the increased sponsorship let alone increased PL and CL income. There's a lot of money in the club it's not being spent. The dawn is still just that bit beyond the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Alexis and Campbell are injured? News to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

City 1-0 up!

If Giroud messed that up like Dzeko did there this place would explode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

If Podolski goes the options at left mid are going to be tight. Would liked to have signed Griezmann.

• Advertisement

If Giroud messed that up like Dzeko did there this place would explode!!

And rightfully so.

I don't get this statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

2-0 City. Superb on the break!

We nearly had jovetic last summer but were gazumped at the last minute!!

And rightfully so.

I don't get this statement?

Which part are ya struggling with??

Which part are ya struggling with??

What's your initial point?

You just stated the obvious, anyway wires crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I applaud your ignorance and feeble attempts at trolling.

• Advertisement

What's your initial point?

You just stated the obvious, anyway wires crossed.

Ya just watchin the match and kinda wrote down what I was thinking. Bad miss but happens them all.

Don't think Liverpool deserving a 3-0 beating but alas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You have a lot if very valid points button but stuff like this is why people discount your valuable, well thought out opinions.

Think and then say again that the transfer window this year has been the same as every other year.

If it had been, we'd be playing Jenks with Bellerin on the bench for entire back line cover and we'd also be begging for a bit of creativity and pace up front.

How much would aguero cost?

I'd like Wenger to put a bid in please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

To think we almost had Jovetic last summer :/

Ronan14 wrote: »
    To think we almost had Jovetic last summer :/

Yep I think a medical was done and all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I hope Aw was watching that match tonight cause it was a lesson in how a good striker can win games.

LFC are the Spurs of 2014/2015 - toothless without Suarez.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I hope Aw was watching that match tonight cause it was a lesson in how a good striker can win games.

LFC are the Spurs of 2014/2015 - toothless without Suarez.

Expect an onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

They've a tough game against spurs next week too on tonight's showing they will struggle there too.

Defensively awful and heavily lacking in the final 3rd.

Early days but this season could be a tough one for them with the volume of signings made

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I think spurs will beat Liverpool and finish 4th. Liverpool are a shadow without Suarez.

Impressed with City's slick one-touch passing and their speed on the break.
    We used to be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Very strange interview from Rogers about Balotelli almost as if he didn't want to sign him or wasn't the preferred option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Impressed with City's slick one-touch passing and their speed on the break.
    We used to be like that.

We'll get there - not far off at the moment. City looked pretty rusty tonight for the first 30 mins or so, then they clicked. I'm sure the same will happen with us.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Very strange interview from Rogers about Balotelli almost as if he didn't want to sign him or wasn't the preferred option

How refreshingly honest from this young British manager.... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Won't be a very happy camp if Ballotelli picks up that impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Missed that, what was the jist of the interview?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement