Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bony has a good goal scoring record and PL experience. Would definitely have him over Remy or Welbeck. Main issue would be African cup of nations

Giroud would surely be back by then so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

What is up with all this Liverpool crap? Glad i wasn't on last night, if i was a Liverpool fan the last place i'd be is in an Arsenal forum arguing like a 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

When you think about it we now have 5 of our probable starting 11 out injured. Not to mention our back up keeper and the fact we're down a CB. Can't believe we are here again so early in the season.

Giroud
    Gibbs
    Arteta
    Kos
    Walcott

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Unless were getting top quailty I would rather just work with the current squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id take nearly anything. Just an extra body to have. We never even got a competent second striker anyways so getting one now has to be a must. I wouldnt count on Sanogo who seems to be very injury prone, along with theo coming back from a big injury and Alexis trying to settle, we are incredibly weak up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not a hope.
    We didn't buy to cover Walcott's injury last season and suffered as a result but we won't learn from that. I can't see anymore signings.

You been saying that all window even before we signed Sanchez ;) so I'm hoping Wenger proves ya wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ideally top quality but we can't just work with the current squad we are lacking in numbers in defense and CF, we need something otherwise it will be over before it starts.

We need a decent quality CB, in an ideal world a top class DM and CF.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah we'll definitely sign a defensive player I reckon. Striker I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Raf32 wrote: »
    Id take nearly anything. Just an extra body to have. We never even got a competent second striker anyways so getting one now has to be a must. I wouldnt count on Sanogo who seems to be very injury prone, along with theo coming back from a big injury and Alexis trying to settle, we are incredibly weak up top.

Besides from being injury prone, Sanogo is just not up too being a 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice striker for a team who would want to challenge for the title.

All the European place rivals have much much better striking options that us. We were blessed last season Giroud played as much as he did without injury.

If we don't sign a striker I can see 4th a struggle.

I am concerned about tomorrow night. We need to win for Wenger even to think of buying as no way will he buy a strike if we are out of the champions league. I still doubt he will buy anyone but hope to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You been saying that all window even before we signed Sanchez ;) so I'm hoping Wenger proves ya wrong again.

Not entirely true.
    The only issue I had was that we didn't buy for the position that's causing us the most problems i.e. DM. Have been saying that a lot though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes. I can't see that happening.... It's unlikely we will get top quality at this stage of the window.

The two positions we needed filled all summer and now have big injuries in them, I really hope Arsene doesnt come out making excuses about luck. Has had all summer to add to these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not sure what we will sign, I am sure we will sign some defensive cover.

On the CF, if Wengers plan is to use Sanchez up top and have him Sanogo and Campbell as the options then I will sit back and accept that.

If he is not intending to have Sanchez as a CF then it would be appalling if he failed to address that area before the window closes.

Shane O Connor
    Eoin O'Keeffe
    Conor Hanney
    Michael Patten
    Tommy Crean

Top 5 from the fantasy league, should defo have to reveal themselves -.-

Not entirely true.
    The only issue I had was that we didn't buy for the position that's causing us the most problems i.e. DM. Have been saying that a lot though.;)

Your not alone in the DM I've been crying out for one for years now ;)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Giroud would surely be back by then so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

Is he out for long?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is he out for long?

Rumoured to be 3 months, nothing concrete from the club yet though.

Worrying thing for us is though normally a 3 month injury means an actual lay off of 4 to 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Here we are, into the final stretch, worrying about injuries and who we're going to/not going to buy :pac:

Groundhog day :o

I think the plan was always to play Sanchez/Walcott up top this season in the majority of games

So I can't see wenger buying someone now, hope I'm wrong though

• Advertisement

Would have thought Wenger would be in panic mode now to get another striker in before the window closes?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Here we are, into the final stretch, worrying about injuries and who we're going to/not going to buy :pac:

Groundhog day :o

The Groundhog day analogy never works for me, through the course of the film he adapts to the situation and turns it to his advantage. We wouldn't have a hope of winning over Andie Macdowell :pac:

Simon ‏@simonafc Sep 14
    And it's Injuuury. Injury FC. We're by far the most injury prone team, the world has ever seen. And it's Injuuuryyy..

:pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Would have thought Wenger would be in panic mode now to get another striker in before the window closes?

It's a "catch 22" situation if he now buys a CF and decides to ignore the DM position for me.
    I'm hoping Campbell can step up to the plate and he buys a DM if he only decides on one player. Beginning to think we might get neither for some reason. Bad feeling about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I think the plan was always to play Sanchez/Walcott up top this season in the majority of games

So I can't see wenger buying someone now, hope I'm wrong though

I think your probably right. I think Etoo for a season would be a really good option though.

Bony would be likely to cost ~£20m. I wouldnt be happy with him at all.

It's a "catch 22" situation if he now buys a CF and decides to ignore the DM position for me.
    I'm hoping Campbell can step up to the plate and he buys a DM if he only decides on one player. Beginning to think we might get neither for some reason. Bad feeling about it.

Get the DM in hopefully carvalho cause he can cover CB too

Then worry about the CF I'm not too pushed about that one been honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Groundhog day analogy never works for me, through the course of the film he adapts to the situation and turns it to his advantage. We wouldn't have a hope of winning over Andie Macdowell :pac:

She lost out to Mesut !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If Falcao is fit and ready to play, what about him? He is being offered around Europe on loan according to rumour, we could loan him in, loan Sanogo out for the season, and at the end of the season, we would know a lot more about both of them.

shano_88 wrote: »
    I think your probably right. I think Etoo for a season would be a really good option though.

Season long loan for remy I wouldn't mind either

I'm happy with what we have unless we're going big. Cavani/falcao

Falcao being offered around Europe on loan what now?

Can't see that one being true.

• Advertisement

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

apparently the falco loan will cost in the guts of 20m.

ouch.

i'd try for cavani and settle for bony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Why not?

I dont think hes better than Giroud and If were signing a striker long term I would prefer someone better than Wilfred Bony.

cson wrote: »
    LB is a great example imo; Gibbs is injured you've a Spanish International coming in for him to do a job. I know Monreal gets a lot of stick but he's as good a second choice LB as there is out there.
    I really don't get the Monreal hate.
    Ah we'll definitely sign a defensive player I reckon. Striker I'm not so sure.
    Can I hold you to that? :pac:
    I dunno, she's not looking like she used to.
    No need for it to be a Catch 22, should just get both. Good to see you're catching up with my bad feeling about it though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Agreed, just get both, we can well afford it

I dont think hes better than Giroud and If were signing a striker long term I would prefer someone better than Wilfred Bony.

He scored the same amount of goals as Giroud last year in less appearances in a weaker side. He offers us something different than Giroud and is reaching his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Simple fact is we didn't improve our first eleven over the summer.

Here we are still talking about the two most important positions that needed addressing.

But now we're facing an injury crisis and its like supermarket sweep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Simple fact is we didn't improve our first eleven over the summer.

Here we are still talking about the two most important positions that needed addressing.

But now we're facing an injury crisis and its like supermarket sweep.

How is Sanchez not going to improve our first 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The chances are that Wenger has sussed out the targets he wants and they have said once you have CL football in the bag then we can talk seriously. That is what I reckon the situation is, until things are cleared up tomorrow night we are in a holding pattern. Giroud being injured doesn't change this, it just makes it more important that we sign another striker.

• Advertisement

If we had all our players available then we'd have a very decent squad except for a DM.
    We haven't them all fit obviously but that is not Wenger's fault in fairness.
    Wenger has however to make things right and i'm hoping he starts with the DM who can also play CB.
    He might do that after we qualify for the CL but i'm not betting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

gandalf wrote: »
    The chances are that Wenger has sussed out the targets he wants and they have said once you have CL football in the bag then we can talk seriously. That is what I reckon the situation is, until thinks are cleared up tomorrow night we are in a holding pattern. Giroud being injured doesn't change this, it just makes it more important that we sign another striker.

Perhaps that is the case, but it makes it very hard to get a deal signed off within 5 or 6 days.
    United have no CL football this year and to ensure they can get back into the elite spent nearly 200m in 12 months. We need to be proactive too. We all know that if we fall out of the CL places its very very hard to get back in, realistically there are only 2 up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

How is Sanchez not going to improve our first 11?

Who's position is he gonna take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If we had all our players available then we'd have a very decent squad except for a DM.
    We haven't them all fit obviously but that is not Wenger's fault in fairness.
    Wenger has however to make things right and i'm hoping he starts with the DM who can also play CB.
    He might do that after we qualify for the CL but i'm not betting on it.

I don't expect any further transfer news until after the CL qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paj wrote: »
    Perhaps that is the case, but it makes it very hard to get a deal signed off within 5 or 6 days.
    United have no CL football this year and to ensure they can get back into the elite spent nearly 200m in 12 months. We need to be proactive too. We all know that if we fall out of the CL places its very very hard to get back in, realistically there are only 2 up for grabs.

If the ground work has been done then I don't see it being a problem to finish things off in that time frame. If it hasn't then yes it is very tight.

It would be an absolute disaster if we don't make it through tomorrow night and means instead of a possible Cavani we will be getting a Remy!

United are paying way over the odds for a player that realistically they don't need. They need 2 x top class CM's and at least 1 x top class CB. Another wide man is a luxury that could end up costing them in the long run.

Lets all keep our fingers crossed firstly that we get through tomorrow night and then that Santa Wenger pulls a few early Christmas pressies out of his sack before next Monday for us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Who's position is he gonna take?

Cazorla/Podolski I suppose. Or Giroud maybe. Either way, he's been signed for our first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Most games played for Arsenal since 2012/13: Giroud (102). Most goals: Giroud (41). 2nd most assists: Giroud (20).

I rate him and think he is improving. Just shows what a loss he will be.

Had a stinker against Besiktas and this place lost the run of itself. He has only started one game for us this year and scored two goals.

one a wonder strike that many say he ain't capable of and the other a crucial last minute equaliser. And constantly improving.

May only appreciate his true worth now.

Most games played for Arsenal since 2012/13: Giroud (102). Most goals: Giroud (41). 2nd most assists: Giroud (20).

Had a stinker against Besiktas and this place lost the run of itself. He has only started one game for us this year and scored two goals.

one a wonder strike that many say he ain't capable of and the other a crucial last minute equaliser. And constantly improving.

not forgetting that he set up Debuchy in the 90th minute for the winner against Palace as well

But people have been saying for a time now that he is a top option to come off the bench. All his notable contributions this season have come from him coming from the bench. Goal against Everton, goal against City and the flick to Debuchy against Palace. I think so far this shows how good of an option he is off the bench but not to start imo against the big teams.

But people have been saying for a time now that he is a top option to come off the bench. All his notable contributions this season have come from him coming from the bench. Goal against Everton, goal against City and the flick to Debuchy against Palace. I think so far this shows how good of an option he is off the bench but not to start imo against the big teams.

That's because he wasn't considered fully fit,coming back from the World Cup. Only a few of his goals/assists last season were from the bench

greendom wrote: »
    That's because he wasn't considered fully fit,coming back from the World Cup. Only a few of his goals/assists last season were from the bench

But he wasnt good enough to lead us to the league last season either. he is a top option off the bench and to start 20 leagues a year but if we want to be considered title contenders we need just a bit more quality up top against the bigger teams. Im gutted about his injury, wanted him to prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement