Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    That's a bare faced lie, we conceded two against Liverpool, Skrtel's first two goals...

I don't know lads he said it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He did say it alright it got my attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He did but he was wrong.

Soups123 wrote: »

Cheers.

Cheers.

Giroud out until new year??

According to areblog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Almunia forced to retire due to failed medical. Although sad to hear, it was a heart condition detected and catching it may have saved his life. This condition is a cause of sudden adult death. Surprised previous medicals didn't pick it up. Wish him all the best.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/report-heart-problem-forces-almunia-retirement/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Giroud out until new year??

According to areblog.

Link here: http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/giroud-ruled-out-until-new-year/

Well, fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bugger we have to sign someone now!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Danny Welbeck anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

shano_88 wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck anyone?

Im really mixed on that one. the brother (united fan) rates him and thinks he needs a change of scenery but cant tell if he is laughing behind my back or not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Welbeck is a good player but he doesn't score enough goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Welbeck is a good player but he doesn't score enough goals.

Yip agree. Wouldn't have minded him as an addition to Giroud but can't replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I really don't think Welbeck is good enough and anyone with designs on the top 4 would be nuts to sell us a striker right now.

Unless there's something that's going to quickly knit that we haven't seen, Wenger needs to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If we signed Falcao even just for a year i may actually cum in my pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

omega man wrote: »

Wouldn't believe a word Matt Law writes, he's click fodder of the highest order. (Falcao would be sweet though!)

If we signed Falcao even just for a year i may actually cum in my pants

I dunno would many managers/clubs pay a 20 million loan fee for a striker coming back from a cruciate injury.

Particularly after your striker is out for 4 months after the ball hits him!

Wouldn't believe a word Matt Law writes, he's click fodder of the highest order. (Falcao would be sweet though!)

Guardian reporting it too. Big fee but includes wages so in the bigger scheme it would be worth it. We are not signing Falcao ;-)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/26/arsenal-striker-reinforcement-olivier-giroud

• Advertisement

Falcao just isnt realistic. £20m for a loan fee is ludicrous.

Cavani would be great but again I dont think its realistic given Zlatans injury and PSGs reluctance to sell.

Remy and Welbeck are two decent options I think. Both can play in a few positions, have pace and are available. Although It is debatable whether United would sell to us at this stage.

I would take Welbeck. His finishing has let him but he is a very hard worker and has great physical attributes. I do think there is potential for him to get better.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Falcao just isnt realistic. £20m for a loan fee is ludicrous.

Cavani would be great but again I dont think its realistic given Zlatans injury and PSGs reluctance to sell.

Remy and Welbeck are two decent options I think. Both can play in a few positions, have pace and are available. Although It is debatable whether United would sell to us at this stage.

I would take Welbeck. His finishing has let him but he is a very hard worker and has great physical attributes. I do think there is potential for him to get better.

The fee includes his wages. How much have we wasted on wages for complete dross over the years.

If the club are aiming for the likes of welbeck then we won't be winning much this season.

The fee includes his wages. How much have we wasted on wages for complete dross over the years.

If the club are aiming for the likes of welbeck then we won't be winning much this season.

Is it including his wages? I didnt realise that. I still dont think it will happen.

Re Welbeck, Im not saying hes a world beater but hes a good player with the potential to become a very good player imo. There really isn't much out there and he looks like one of the better, more realistic, options in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah Falcao just isn't a goer. United wouldn't sell us Welbeck, it would be downright stupid and on their part. (I know I know, let's not), plus with his age it would probably be the end for Sanogo who Wenger seems to see as his latest project.
    If its anyone it might be Cisse bit he doesn't seem fancied at all. I can see it being someone from leftfield, Llorente, is he fit and/or available.

In saying all if this I can quite easily see it being nobody.

Yeah Falcao just isn't a goer. United wouldn't sell us Welbeck, it would be downright stupid and on their part. (I know I know, let's not), plus with his age it would probably be the end for Sanogo who Wenger seems to see as his latest project.
    If its anyone it might be Cisse bit he doesn't seem fancied at all. I can see it being someone from leftfield, Llorente, is he fit and/or available.

In saying all if this I can quite easily see it being nobody.

Well I'm going to cling to the minimal chance of Falcao because the alternatives are depressing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm just in the door from work and my housemate has informed me we are likely to miss out on Manolas to Roma.. Is this true??

I'm just in the door from work and my housemate has informed me we are likely to miss out on Manolas to Roma.. Is this true??

Yup, I think it was confirmed today. Benatia to Bayern Munich and Manolas to Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Indeed it is.

It would include 8 months wages. That's still an astronomical fee...

Yip...if not happy to be guaranteed a first team place then that's understandable.

• Advertisement

It would include 8 months wages. That's still an astronomical fee...

Agreed but he's some player. How much would he cost to buy? I suspect the reported loan fee is proportionate to his market value.

I wonder if Balotelli hadn't gone to Liverpool would we have changed our position on him under the circumstances..........??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Agreed but he's some player. How much would he cost to buy? I suspect the reported loan fee is proportionate to his market value.

I wonder if Balotelli hadn't gone to Liverpool would we have changed our position on him under the circumstances..........??

Why would Monaco sell him though, maybe he's forcing his way out.

Do Monaco have another decent striker at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

PSG manager says Cavani wouldnt go for less than 60m Euros (47.5m sterling).. really at that price, would we have been complaining if we had done it already? Slightly more than Ozil and we all know Strikers add about double onto their value by the goals they provide.

If he is available, Im kinda thinking this is a no brainer. And the Psg manger is coming out with quotes like that he has to be ready for offers. Pretty much the transfer we were all hoping for, just a lot more forced to do so -might cost us an extra 10mil due to our circumstances..

Ya fair point. But he is not exactly young and just back from a bad injury.

Re Balotelli I don't think so. Id say there is little doubt these guys at the club and Wenger have targets and a preference list. I don't think it's a case of scrambling around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Falcao could win us the league...the £20m would be worth it then. Or he could get injured in his first game...It might be a goer for the sugar daddy clubs but I can't see a prudent club like ours taking a risk that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

For me, Falcao would be a no go. As great as he is, we CANNOT have another season of "oh he's coming off a big injury, he'll have to take his time" and we certainly cant risk getting in an injury prone player to cover our injury list.

Can someone give me an idea of what this Loan figure means? 20m for his wages only or including some transfer fee or? (Obviously that 20mil is speculation anyway but some idea..)

There isn't a hope in hell after years of managing finances well that we will blow 20m on a loan player and I wouldn't expect them to

Ajfunky wrote: »
    For me, Falcao would be a no go. As great as he is, we CANNOT have another season of "oh he's coming off a big injury, he'll have to take his time" and we certainly cant risk getting in an injury prone player to cover our injury list.

Can someone give me an idea of what this Loan figure means? 20m for his wages only or including some transfer fee or? (Obviously that 20mil is speculation anyway but some idea..)

20m includes loan fee and wages......it's reported.

Apparently he's a Real Madrid target too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ajfunky wrote: »

£20m includes loan fee and wages. Never gonna happen, if he's £47m to buy then that makes far more sense!

• Advertisement

He 's reported to be on. €350k per week

L'prof wrote: »
    £20m includes loan fee and wages. Never gonna happen, if he's £47m to buy then that makes far more sense!

Maybe not. You'd have all the risk then associated to his previous injury then on top, due to his age, his sell on value after 3-4 years would be low enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Now according to some South American reporter, we're supposed to be making a £50m bid for Cavani...it's going to be a long week :(

He 's reported to be on. €350k per week

And that boat definitely sails so! Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Now according to some South American reporter, we're supposed to be making a £50m bid for Cavani...it's going to be a long week :(

Would prefer Falcao, a year older but better striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There's going to be lots and lots of speculation until the transfer window closes now.

Giroud out till next year.

Our striking options being Campbell untried and untested, Sanogo tried and lots of question marks and Sanchez who is undeniably class and improves our first eleven were not quite sure were in the front three Wenger sees him playing.

Falcao/Cavani or whoever money wise I couldn't care how much it costs to be honest if it takes 20 million for Falcao for one season then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There's going to be lots and lots of speculation until the transfer window closes now.

Giroud out till next year.

Our striking options being Campbell untried and untested, Sanogo tried and lots of question marks and Sanchez who is undeniably class and improves our first eleven were not quite sure were in the front three Wenger sees him playing.

Falcao/Cavani or whoever money wise I couldn't care how much it costs to be honest if it takes 20 million for Falcao for one season then so be it.

Podolski? Akpom?

Not saying they are the answer but for completeness......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Torres anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

7 is the actual number, lowest in the league

the presenter said it to carragher after the palace game when he was on about zonal marking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jank wrote: »
    Torres anyone?

Not a hope in hell, high wages and I can't see him ever being the player he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That why I can't wait to go to EP at the weekend, keep away from it all for the most part.

Last year I came back to Wenger's smirk and Ozil signing! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement