Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In other news, apparently we offered more money than Roma for Manolas, but he wanted to be guaranteed first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Should have kept bendtner at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

He'll be the tallest player in the club should he arrive. At 6 ft 7 1⁄2 in he's half an inch taller than Big Per!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just to get ye in the mood for our new signing boys Ill leave this here. Reminds me of Bergkamp and Henry blended into one :p

Must be a response to that daily mail article on us being the smallest team the other week :pac:

Please god don't let it be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I refuse to believe these rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I actually don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Tonight I will be downing pre match beers in the Hen and Chickens at Highbury Corner pre match as UEFA in their wisdom don't allow any beer in the stadium EXCEPT in the premium level and hospitality. Bloody ridiculous.

If you accept Zigic is coming now, it will be so much easier to take when it happens. Gonna put in a cheeky bid for him tonight on my Fifa :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS if Zigic is Wengers answer to our frontman issues then I just despair!!! (Unless he is going to turn him into a CB!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Take that back

Some quality crosses into the box from the likes of Alexis, Chamberlain and Cazorla and this lad Zigic will head a good few in I'd say! Would be a good short term solution being honest!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Funny you should say that: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-why-i-don-t-want-to-buy-nikola-zigic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just to get ye in the mood for our new signing boys Ill leave this here. Reminds me of Bergkamp and Henry blended into one :p

Fcuk off Raf!

Massive game for jack tonight with Ramsey out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

If you believe the Zigic rumours your an idiot.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    If you believe the Zigic rumours your an idiot.

I really hope that stupid post doesn't come back to bite you on the ass pal

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

can anyone else see Wenger playing Chambers as our Defensive Mid? I think he'll end up playing there for the big games, Chelsea, City etc

I really hope that stupid post doesn't come back to bite you on the ass pal

Theres not an ounce of truth in it. Its his agent trying to get his clients name in the media in the hope he can get him a good club.

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    can anyone else see Wenger playing Chambers as our Defensive Mid? I think he'll end up playing there for the big games, Chelsea, City etc

I can. Wenger has hinted as much as well.

• Advertisement

Theres not an ounce of truth in it. Its his agent trying to get his clients name in the media in the hope he can get him a good club.

I sincerely hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

On another note, i wasnt really into the new jersey so decided to get this from camporetro, have to say im very impressed, its officially registered with Arsenal, good quality, really fast delivery, they have some nice stuff, i highly recommend.

IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG

*i tried attaching it as pic, but they came out too big in the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

On another note, i wasnt really into the new jersey so decided to get this from camporetro, have to say im very impressed, its officially registered with Arsenal, good quality, really fast delivery, they have some nice stuff, i highly recommend.

IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG

*i tried attaching it as pic, but they came out too big in the post

Jaysus I have an original version of that !!

Good man! I was going to create one! COYG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus I have an original version of that !!

Was looking online for a few of the original ones, some where going for £120, the only thing is with my one is obviously they couldn't get the sponsor on it, so i only copped when i got it it was missing the adidas stripes on the sleeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So ye managed to get rid off Bendtner and now want to replace him with Zigic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So according to Matt Law (Telegraph) and John Cross (Mirror) the Zigic rumours were bull!

Personally i'm devastated.. The thought of him and Ozil linking up was mouthwatering.

djPSB wrote: »
    So ye managed to get rid off Bendtner and now want to replace him with Zigic?

Believe me. NOBODY wants that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I feel we will still challenge.

Wasnt long ago people were hoping for a front 3 of Theo, Alexis and OX with Ozil in behind. That is very much still on and with Santi , Poldi , Sanogo and Campbell to play a part.

Another striker would be great but either way I think we will be grand

Not if we don't buy.
    How can we challenge when Giroud is out and he is the only thread we have in the air.
    How many headed goals will we get without him do you think?
    Kos or Mert might pop up with the odd one from a corner or freekick but they will be few and far between with our corner and freekick record.
    Giroud will be a massive miss in attack and also in defensive situations.

• Advertisement

Not if we don't buy.
    How can we challenge when Giroud is out and he is the only thread we have in the air.
    Kos or Mert might pop up with the odd one from a corner or freekick but they will be few and far between with our corner and freekick record.

What difference does it make weather there headed or not? We're a footballing side, i expect us to play football along the ground and bang in the goals, Barca dominated club football for years with no aerial threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not if we don't buy.

What?? Giroud is woeful in the air for a big man it's a big weakness in his game gets himself on the end of a lot of crosses but misses more than he scores.

Thought most Arsenal fans had copped this by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Paleface

Pretty sure MOTD said that Giroud has scored the most headed goals in the league since the start of last season.

What?? Giroud is woeful in the air for a big man it's a big weakness in his game gets himself on the end of a lot of crosses but misses more than he scores.

He still has the joint most goals from headers in the league since the start of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

No other Premier League player has scored more headed goals than Giroud since the start of last season. So I wouldn't say he's woeful, but I agree he's a tad wasteful with his headed chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

not disputing that, but he's got the joint most headed goals out of any player in the Prem since he joined the league. (him bony and benteke all have 5)

Raf32 wrote: »
    Agreed the match takes priority right now. would love an early goal to settle the nerves.

I think we'll win easily enough tonight.
    Besiktas are poor enough. We should actually have won out there.

Paleface wrote: »
    Pretty sure MOTD said that Giroud has scored the most headed goals in the league since the start of last season.
    He still has the joint most goals from headers in the league since the start of last year.
    dorgasm wrote: »
    No other Premier League player has scored more headed goals than Giroud since the start of last season. So I wouldn't say he's woeful, but I agree he's a tad wasteful with his headed chances.

We all saw that scroll across the screen on MOTD so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Show me a striker who doesn't miss more than they score ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Paleface

dorgasm wrote: »
    We all saw that scroll across the screen on MOTD so :D

I had to pause it to double take what I was reading!

greendom wrote: »

Ok, his conversion rate sucks is that a better way of putting it?

Paleface wrote: »
    I had to pause it to double take what I was reading!

I did the exact same, had to rewind it! Checked it up then and he's joined with Bony and Benteke on 5 headed goals.

fulmer1984 wrote: »

He may eventually but now he is far too raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Alexis up top tonight. If that happens I will be excited to see what he can do.

Everton was a poor game to try him out up top with them being so bloody physical.

greendom wrote: »

So you trying to imply heading is a strong point of his game? It's not he misses am awful lot of chances a lot of the time he fails to hit the target on simple enough chances.

It's often been stated even before he joined that headed goals was not his strong point.

Seems you can't even say heading isn't a strong point of Girouds game these days without some people getting in a fuss.

• Advertisement

Who among our strikers would have scored that equaliser last Sat?
    He misses a fair amount but he remains our only threat in the air among out attackers.

Are you guys for real? He's great in the air. Attacking wise and also defensively at set pieces. How many headed clearances did we see him make from opposition corners last season? A major weakness my hole.

Who among our strikers would have scored that equaliser last Sat?
    He misses a fair amount but he remains our only threat in the air among out attackers.

Just because he's tall doesn't make him our best header of the ball, he is the target man, he receives more balls than anyone else, if he shoots 100 times and get 5 goals and Podolski shoots 10 times and gets 1 it means Podolski is better, quality is better than quantity and all that jazz.

Are you guys for real? He's great in the air. Attacking wise and also defensively at set pieces. How many headed clearances did we see him make from opposition corners last season? A major weakness my hole.

Might want to read the posts back so.

No one has said he doesn't get his head on the ball in fact I stated he does, defensively yea good attacking wise not so good misses a lot fails to hit the target with more.

He is unquestionably our best header of a ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement