Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just because he's tall doesn't make him our best header of the ball, he is the target man, he receives more balls than anyone else, if he shoots 100 times and get 5 goals and Podolski shoots 10 times and gets 1 it means Podolski is better, quality is better than quantity and all that jazz.

I don't think he's great in the air attacking wise either but he is definitely our best header of the ball even if it is best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Might want to read the posts back so.

No one has said he doesn't get his head on the ball in fact I stated he does, defensively yea good attacking wise not so good misses a lot fails to hit the target with more.

But the stats suggest he has scored as much as anyone else from headers, and it's not like we'd cross more than other teams. I think generally speaking there aren't really too many strikers that are exceptionally good at headers atm

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But the stats suggest he has scored as much as anyone else from headers, and it's not like we'd cross more than other teams. I think generally speaking there aren't really too many strikers that are exceptionally good at headers atm

Our crossing was pretty brutal last season tbh which makes the stat even more surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2013/2014/olivier_giroud/126/64/115/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/edin_dzeko/126/64/558/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/wilfried_bony/126/64/5574/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/christian_benteke/126/64/3738/0/p#total_shots/shot_accuracy/goals_-_headed#total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oh I agree there are very few CF exceptional at headers these days. All the worlds best like the ball at there feet. But that doesn't mean we can say Giroud is a great threat in the air either.

It's mental most Arsenal fans admit they would like a better CF.

But if you dare to even question one aspect of his game half those fans will get there knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just because he's tall doesn't make him our best header of the ball, he is the target man, he receives more balls than anyone else, if he shoots 100 times and get 5 goals and Podolski shoots 10 times and gets 1 it means Podolski is better, quality is better than quantity and all that jazz.

No. He has scored more headed goals than any of our other strikers and more than most in the league last season. It could prove he is a better reader of the game, his positional play is better, he is more determined to get on the end of balls, braver etc etc.

But if you dare to even question one aspect of his game half those fans will get there knickers in a twist.

I think it's the hyperbole that set people off. I don't think he's particularly great in the air attacking wise, but "woeful" is an exaggeration imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it's the hyperbole that set people off. I don't think he's particularly great in the air attacking wise, but "woeful" is an exaggeration imo.

bingo.

poor Giroud, he's a bit marmite.

Agreed, I think people tend to overexaggerate either way with their opinions a lot of the time

• Advertisement

Doesn't include the goal at the weekend

It's last years stats so it wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Giroud is out until New Years. I think we can shelve his debate until he is near available again.

Just as I said -- Giroud is the best in the air of all our strikers.
    We will miss his defensive side though mark my words.

No. He has scored more headed goals than any of our other strikers and more than most in the league last season. It could prove he is a better reader of the game, his positional play is better, he is more determined to get on the end of balls, braver etc etc.

What other strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just as I said -- Giroud is the best in the air of all our strikers.
    We will miss his defensive side though mark my words.

Agreed with his defensive work. It was nearly always him who got his head to the ball on opposition set pieces. Defended the near post superbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I assume we have been linked with Kalou as is customary during every transfer window?

What other strikers.

Well according to Arsene we still have four.
    Now I know they didn't play a lot so the question still stands i.e. who will score a headed goal for us from a cross in the last minute like last Sat and which striker will defend corners like he does when he's out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

gandalf wrote: »
    I assume we have been linked with Kalou as is customary during every transfer window?
    Yup as ya would expect. I'm surprised there's been no link to Chris Samba considering our current search for a back-up CB though.

Well according to Arsene we still have four.
    Now I know they didn't play a lot so the question still stands i.e. who will score a headed goal for us from a cross in the last minute like last Sat and which striker will defend corners like he does when he's out ?

We don't need to cross in the air, look at Ramsey's goal... we don't need a 6 foot plus striker, replace Giroud's 5 headed goals with the amount of chances he would have had with a bit of extra pace for me anyday.

Yes he is good at defending corners so are most tall players, it's not the there good it's that there tall. Koscienly is hands down the best header of a ball in my book. Height is important for set pieces, good football is important for every aspect of the game, Giroud will be missed but we have to play this year and if we do we are challenging for the title with or without Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If we get carvalho, the loss of girouds defensive work should be offset. May allow Sanchez up top too.

I don't think it is hyperbole he is not a massive threat offensively more often than not as I've said he fails to hit the target.

It's not hyperbole anytime anyone questions Giroud a lot Our own fans have a fit.

When most will agree we need better it's mental.

Strange the same doesn't happen when anyone questions any of our other players the mind boggles.

Ireland Trends

#TV3AutumnLaunch
    Zigic to Arsenal
    Vidal
    #BamComeToMyHouseForXmas
    Spain
    Torres
    Wenger
    United
    Taylor Swift
    VMAs

This is gas.

We don't need to cross in the air, look at Ramsey's goal... we don't need a 6 foot plus striker, replace Giroud's 5 headed goals with the amount of chances he would have had with a bit of extra pace for me anyday.

Yes he is good at defending corners so are most tall players, it's not the there good it's that there tall. Koscienly is hands down the best header of a ball in my book. Height is important for set pieces, good football is important for every aspect of the game, Giroud will be missed but we have to play this year and if we do we are challenging for the title with or without Giroud.

There is more to defending corners than being a good header and tall.
    You have to have the desire to get to the ball, have positional sense and excellent peripheral vision ) I had all by the way :D).

Believe me we will miss Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think it is hyperbole he is not a massive threat offensively more often than not as I've said he fails to hit the target.

It's not hyperbole anytime anyone questions Giroud a lot Our own fans have a fit.

Strange the same doesn't happen when anyone questions any of our other players the mind boggles.

It's the exaggeration that sets people off, well that sets me off anyway. of course there are better finishers out there, but words like "woeful" will always set backs up

There is more to defending corners than being a good header and tall.
    You have to have the desire to get to the ball, have positional sense and excellent peripheral vision ) I had all by the way :D).

Believe me we will miss Giroud.

I'm aware, i had it all too :pac: i never said we wont?

• Advertisement

I agree with your criticisms for the most part but you said them in a pretty hyperbolic way. It's the same reason people get their backs up when folks praise Giroud too much after a decent performance.

greendom wrote: »
    It's the exaggeration that sets people off, well that sets me off anyway. of course there are better finishers out there, but words like "woeful" will always set backs up

Ok so take out the woeful and most will agree he's not a big offensive threat in the air?

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest shows how sensitive some have become over Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Giroud is a very valuable Arsenal player, I wish him a speedy recovery. He will play a big role no doubt in where ever we finsih this year.

Time to move on really, more important things at hand.

The next week or so is just massive for us, season on the line almost.

I agree with your criticisms for the most part but you said them in a pretty hyperbolic way. It's the same reason people get their backs up when folks praise Giroud too much after a decent performance.

I never get my back up when people praise or criticise Gioud he gets praise when he deserves it.

People playing tit for tat after a good performance or bad performance grates me :)

One good or bad game Wil not change people's opinions on him.

Ok so take out the woeful and most will agree he's not a big offensive threat in the air?

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest shows how sensitive some have become over Giroud.

It's not just Giroud, criticism of the team just doesn't go down well in here, you either share the opinions of the masses (mostly being super positive) or your wrong. We all love Arsenal that is why we're here. No need to be so defensive and in some cases blind.

• Advertisement

It's not just Giroud, criticism of the team just doesn't go down well in here, you either share the opinions of the masses (mostly being super positive) or your wrong. We all love Arsenal that is why we're here. No need to be so defensive and in some cases blind.

This whole persecutions complex is getting really irritating. Man the **** up and express your opinion and stop moaning if not everyone agrees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    If we get carvalho, the loss of girouds defensive work should be offset. May allow Sanchez up top too.

Don't think we're signing him. If we are then why the delay?

I know Sanchez was a huge signing but he was effectively the only addition to our squad. We've also lost an experienced CB since and now with giroud out long term (it appears) I think as things currently stand we won't be title contenders. Such a pity as the optimism around Sanchez's arrival early in the summer was such a welcome change. It seemed the purse strings were finally open after 10 years of financial prudence. We were now ready to compete with the big boys. Alas it seems to me that wenger firmly believes he can still win the league without sacrificing his principles and that he can produce a title winning team form the current squad with some minor tweaks. I admire his resolve but it's naive as the landscape has changed drastically since we last won it in 2004. He's one stubborn man but we have no choice but to follow his lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Nicola Zigic.... Is that a serious link?... We might as well go for Kalou as well...

This whole persecutions complex is getting really irritating. Man the **** up and express your opinion and stop moaning if not everyone agrees

I'm sorry you're right. Well i guess our season is over now that we've lost the best striker in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nicola Zigic.... Is that a serious link?... We might as well go for Kalou as well...

No

Saying people aren't accepting of differing opinions and then describing people who disagree with you as being blind. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well he's hardly woeful if no one in the EPL has scored more headed goals than him. Especially, as has been said, we are hardly renowned for our crossing.

I'm sorry you're right. Well i guess our season is over now that we've lost the best striker in the premier league.

This is exactly what we're talking about, why does it have to be one extreme or the other all the time?

This is exactly what we're talking about, why does it have to be one extreme or the other all the time?

I completely agree.

omega man wrote: »
    Don't think we're signing him. If we are then why the delay?

I know Sanchez was a huge signing but he was effectively the only addition to our squad. We've also lost an experienced CB since and now with giroud out long term (it appears) I think as things currently stand we won't be title contenders. Such a pity as the optimism around Sanchez's arrival early in the summer was such a welcome change. It seemed the purse strings were finally open after 10 years of financial prudence. We were now ready to compete with the big boys. Alas it seems to me that wenger firmly believes he can still win the league without sacrificing his principles and that he can produce a title winning team form the current squad with some minor tweaks. I admire his resolve but it's naive as the landscape has changed drastically since we last won it in 2004. He's one stubborn man but we have no choice but to follow his lead.

No DM = no league challenge in my view.
    Hope i'm wrong but I can't see Arteta and Flamini being fit and mobile enough for the full season. They are ok as replacements but we will need a big mobile hard-tackling DM i believe if we are to mount a challenge. The two we have didn't stand up in the big games last season.

• Advertisement

What's the probable team for tonight?

If Alexis is playing up top will Wenger put Ozil behind him or do people think we'll keep Ozil out on the wing?

Wilshere has a great chance to show what he can do tonight with Ramsey out. Might give him the space to play with a little more freedom.

I completely agree.

Well done

Wenger Knows Best ‏@wengerknowsbest 8m

Podolski is a small late doubt tonight with a smile strain, but all 17 members of his social media team are available.

No DM = no league challenge in my view.
    Hope i'm wrong but I can't see Arteta and Flamini being fit and mobile enough for the full season. They are ok as replacements but we will need a big mobile hard-tackling DM i believe if we are to mount a challenge. The two we have didn't stand up in the big games last season.

I agree Tayto. I would go as far as to say without DM and replacement for Giroud we will be crocked come Christmas time. That view holds even while I am assuming Alexis produces in a striker role.

HazDanz wrote: »
    What's the probable team for tonight?

If Alexis is playing up top will Wenger put Ozil behind him or do people think we'll keep Ozil out on the wing?

Wilshere has a great chance to show what he can do tonight with Ramsey out. Might give him the space to play with a little more freedom.

I'd like to see Wilshere and Ozil in the middle with Rosicky and Ox on the wings and Sanchez up front. However we might see Campbell up front and Sanchez on the RW. I think Santi will be on the bench as he's good when introduced.

I don't think we'll see Kos as he seems to be carrying a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

It'll never happen but i'd love to see a 4-3-1-2 with Campbell and Alexis up front and Ozil in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ok I am banning myself of all transfer talk for the next 5 hrs, leaving work and heading home to enjoy what its all about, the game.

See you on the other side...........

I'd like to see Wilshere and Ozil in the middle with Rosicky and Ox on the wings and Sanchez up front. However we might see Campbell up front and Sanchez on the RW. I think Santi will be on the bench as he's good when introduced.

I don't think we'll see Kos as he seems to be carrying a knock.

I think Wenger alluded to starting Alexis up top tonight already in yesterdays conference. I would prefer to see Campbell instead of Rosicky on the wing for this one. I'd like to see how he can handle a game like tonight.

We can always stick Rosicky on if things are a bit stale second half to add a bit of penetration if Campbell isn't producing.

Was Kos not training yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ok I am banning myself of all transfer talk for the next 5 hrs, leaving work and heading home to enjoy what its all about, the game.

See you on the other side...........

How can you contain your excitement with these Zigic rumours flying around?!

• Advertisement

Would expect Alexis up top, doubt he was there on Saturday for ****s and giggles and it wouldn't be like Wenger to ditch something like that after one match. Hopefully he'll be more effective on home turf against these guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement