Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A New FIFA World Cup Trophy?

• 14-07-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭

So Germany have won this trophy three times do they get to keep it?

Brazil kept The Jules Rimet Trophy after winning it three times.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Doesn't work like that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

This is germanys 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

No, they changed the rules. It'll probably go until they run out of space on the base for the winner's names, sometime around 2030.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

klose wrote: »
    This is germanys 4th

One of them was the old trophy. Three with the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Every winner just gets a replica trophy now. FIFA keep the original. No special significance to winning it three times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Brazil's one got nicked if I recall correctly - linky :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_the_Jules_Rimet_Trophy

Besides, this is the first time a unified Germany have won it - if FIFA are looking for an excuse to be mean. As if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

They won it as West Germany the other times anyway. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

So Germany have won this trophy three times do they get to keep it?

Brazil kept The Jules Rimet Trophy after winning it three times.

I hope not, the World Cup trophy is about as iconic as you can get.

It would be akin to changing the Champions League theme, just shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

I think you should be allowed keep it , its a nice touch after winning 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

They get to keep a replica. The original remains with FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Do you mean like an all-new style of trophy?

I hope not. I hope they keep the current trophy forever. It's just an amazing thing to look at. I think my interest with this sport can honestly be traced back to seeing that trophy for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

FatherTed wrote: »
    They get to keep a replica. The original remains with FIFA.

A gold-plated replica instead of a solid gold one like the original.

Because FIFA could never afford a proper one....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

A gold-plated replica instead of a solid gold one like the original.

Because FIFA could never afford a proper one....... :rolleyes:

Not solid gold, but I think they should make one just to see the players faces lifting one at the end.

http://www.bbc.com/news/10301713

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Different Germany back then too - West Germany. This is the the first "Germany" win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

enda1 wrote: »
    Different Germany back then too - West Germany. This is the the first "Germany" win.

Could be wrong on this but I think it's still technically the same state - the German Federal Republic. They just absorbed East Germany into the existing state rather than the two countries forming a new state. 'West' Germany was just a description rather than the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I checked the FIFA website today. It was to late and I was a bit to drunk to check lastnight.
    The original FIFA World Cup Trophy cannot be won outright anymore, as the new regulations state that it shall remain FIFA's own possession. Instead, the FIFA World Cup winners are awarded a replica which they get to keep as a permanent reminder of their great triumph. These gold-plated replicas are referred to as the FIFA World Cup Winners' Trophies

I did find it funny though that it was in the marketing part of the FIFA website. But it does kind of sums FIFA up for me all about making the tax free money,marketing there soul for the almighty $€£

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/marketing/brand/trophy.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Could be wrong on this but I think it's still technically the same state - the German Federal Republic. They just absorbed East Germany into the existing state rather than the two countries forming a new state. 'West' Germany was just a description rather than the country.

That could well be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Yep, there never really was a West Germany, or East Germany for that matter. After the war West Germany was the Federal Republic of Germany, and the East was German Democratic Republic. It just ceased to be known as West Germany once reunification happened. So all the World Cups they've won are valid.

Advertisement