Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Ball. Who would you have voted for?

• 14-07-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

So we learned tonight that Lionel Messi won the FIFA player of the tournament award as vote for by the FIFA technical committee (whoever they are). Given that he was possibly not even the best player in his own team this tournament it was a surprising result. Who from the 10 nominees would you have voted for?

(Technically you should disregard the final since the vote was taken before that was played.)

Who was the best player in the tournament? 371 votes

James Rodriguez
    0%
    Neymar
    43%
    gandalfmewsoshotamoosesuper_furryBigConDcullyzAbboCivilServantsmackbunnybabywoodygDundalkDuffmanZaphdudarajoe316Brando_iejemapplehunterjonesgustafoMezcita 161 votes
    Arjen Robben
    1%
    amandaf675Donnielightointernet_userSoft Falling RainBRB 5 votes
    Mats Hummels
    18%
    PiEVokesthe whole year inngimmickDoctorEdgeWildwhiskeymanPOKERKINGadoxchupacabraBFassassinaidan24326xtal191Ronin247Lord TSCmurpho999gebbelLeBashAmiraniluderDemosthenese 67 votes
    Toni Kroos
    0%
    Nuri SahinBrien 2 votes
    Phillip Lahm
    0%
    efbhomerjay2005billymitchell 3 votes
    Thomas Muller
    3%
    bullvineHammer ArcherMoist BreadRayCunriceroeyescreamconeCracklederm0j0730028673p38BMMachineFudge You 12 votes
    Angel Di Maria
    14%
    mada999franmanGLaDOSFuzzy_DunlopDave_The_Sheep[Deleted User]stanley1dfx-death1234567NotorietyHRoryMacWitcherscudzillapetethebricktvercettijustshanekeane2097[Deleted User]Head_Hunterharpstilidie 52 votes
    Javier Mascherano
    0%
    Lionel Messi
    18%
    PaulwdougalLizardKingucheigrodKingp35enda1ghostchantBalmed OutEnrightlooderelefantMonkeyTennisArmaniJeanssShagNastiiBig KnoxthemacdaddyBandana boythebazsecman 69 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Mats Hummels
    Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Neymar
    James Rodriguez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Schweinsteiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Neymar
    James Rodriguez for me, he really lit up the whole tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Mats Hummels
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think we're harsh on messi.
    He still did things in that tournament that no player could do. Hummels was made look silly at times. German players surrounded him and even then he was threatening. He may not have influenced matches as much as we come to expect but he was still magnificent all world cup.

That said, Mascherano or Lahm would have been my choices.

Honorable mentions to Garay, Robben, Rodriguez and Vlaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Is Neuer not eligible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is Neuer not eligible?

What did he do to deserve it? Romero, Colombia's goalie, Mexico's (Oochoa?), Howard, And of course Navas all have a strong claim if Neuer has. Frankly think Neuer performed weaker than those. Actually, I think Navas was best keeper at the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tim Howard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Lionel Messi
    Are we forgetting that it was pretty much 2 last minute goals in two separate matches that got Argentina out of the group?

It's debatable alright but no other player in the world could have done what he did against Iran. He got them out of the group, led them when they needed leading and then they grew into the tournament to get to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Turtwig wrote: »
    What did he do to deserve it? Romero, Colombia's goalie, Mexico's (Oochoa?), Howard, And of course Navas all have a strong claim if Neuer has. Frankly think Neuer performed weaker than those. Actually, I think Navas was best keeper at the tournament

Really, I would have Neuer as the best player in the tournament nevermind the best keeper.

He's like having an extra sweeper in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Lionel Messi
    Are we forgetting that it was pretty much 2 last minute goals in two separate matches that got Argentina out of the group?

It's debatable alright but no other player in the world could have done what he did against Iran. He got them out of the group, led them when they needed leading and then they grew into the tournament to get to the final.

The goal against Bosnia was after 65 mins.

Plus Argentina would arguably have still won the group even if Messi hadn't scored either of those two aforementioned goals. 1 win and 2 draws would have seen them top F anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Neymar
    id vote on how excited i am about a player and Rodriguez would be my choice, maybe its just that i watched messi more than any other player on the shortlist that im oblivious to his class by now, but i dont think he lit up the world cup at all, mascherano i think performed better than him in the latter stages of the tournament, yet didnt even make the shortlist,

Rodriguez lit up the world cup for me, he was all action all the time when i seen columbia play, granted i didnt see all their games, just as i didnt all of any teams games, but he a player that genuinely excites me and one that im really looking forward to seeing what hes gonna do between now and the next world cup,

schweinsteiger would be my second option, followed by robben, who even though he annoys the **** out of me at times hes just a great all round player in my eyes, he just never stops,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Jimmy Rodriguez all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lionel Messi
    Mascharano

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mats Hummels
    Robben or James Rodriguez.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Robben

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Mats Hummels
    Robben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If a lesser known player had performed as Messi had at the World Cup, I don't think there'd be many calls for him to win the award.

I think Robben deserved it. Perhaps had Columbia advanced, Rodriguez would have been a real contender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If a lesser known player had performed as Messi had at the World Cup, I don't think there'd be many calls for him to win the award.

I think Robben deserved it. Perhaps had Columbia advanced, Rodriguez would have been a real contender

I actually think the opposite if a lesser know player had done what messi did prior to the semi finals people would be saying he had a great tournament. People know what messi can do so expect so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Neymar
    "Jimmy Rodriguez. He's 22 years old, and already a World Class fucking mad dog."

http://instagram.com/p/p04qbZoild/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mats Hummels
    Robben for me, he was one of the few high profile players who actually turned up at this world cup, a constant danger for a limited Dutch team and with Van Persie so out of sorts the only outlet they really had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rodriguez was looking good to win it but he went out in the quarter finals, I think everyone knew before the tournament began that you would need to reach the semi finals at the very least to have a chance of winning this, possibly even reach the final. After Rodriguez I don't think there was much between Messi, Robben and Muller, I'm not too surprised Messi won it probably would have given it to him myself but there wasn't really a standout candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Lionel Messi
    I thought javier Mascherano deserved to win it . He was one of the reasons that Argentina got to the final .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lionel Messi
    Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Mats Hummels
    Robben edges it ahead of Rodriguez and Mascherano for me. Glad Hames got the Golden Boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Lionel Messi
    Javier Mascherano for me

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Manuel Neuer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Neuer was the standout player on the team that won the competition. He gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rodriguez, Robben and even Vlaar had better tournaments over 90 minutes, over the tournament than Messi.

No huge standout player really, but still a ridiculous decision. Should be renamed the 'Ryan Giggs' award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Robben

Although Neuer's performance as a fly goalie was second to none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I wouldn't even half Messi in the top 5 of the tournament. I'd probably have to give it to Robben though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

At half time in the final (when the voting happened) I'd have gone for James Rodriguez, with Messi, Muller, Robben and Neuer close behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Thomas Muller
    Lahm for me , tought he had a great WC and played out of position for most of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

None of them from the Premier League.

The big PL stars were generally mediocre or poor while guys like Ron Vlaar and Gary Medel looked unrecognisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Thomas Muller
    derm0j073 wrote: »
    Lahm for me , tought he had a great WC and played out of position for most of it .

Agreed. In the final, and in the France match, he was class. Obviously he was great in the semis, but all the germans were in that game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Neuer...

Mascherano was pretty incredible.

Rodriguez also brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Mats Hummels
    For me, Robben. Van Gaal's tactics were to create everything through him and even with that pressure he always delivered.

JR close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Mats Hummels
    Robben for me too.
    JR was good but Robben's work rate was phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lionel Messi
    I voted mascherano, i thought he was excellant throughout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mats Hummels
    Robben, although his diving was getting a bit tiresome to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mats Hummels
    fryup wrote: »
    Robben, although his diving was getting a bit tiresome to watch

I can't blame Robben to be honest. There was an incident where he was clearly fouled but didn't go to ground, and he got nothing at all from it.

Its become increasingly clear that if a player doesn't go down he doesn't get a free kick or penalty, so what are the players going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Lionel Messi
    Mascherano was monstrous. I wouldn't have issues with Robben or Muller getting it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'd vote for the players who stood up as the tournament progressed. As such no way would i pick Messi or Rodriguez. Rodriguez lost the plot against Brazil. Tough for him with the attention he got but still he let it affect him. Messi did very little in the final two games. He walked around a lot while his team mates worked hard to get the ball back and on the ball he actually gave it away quite a lot. Super player but really didn't deserve the kind of praise he got at the tournament.

Robben, Mascherano, Vlaar, Garay, Zabaleta and Schweinsteiger.

Mascherano was heroic but doesn't do much on the ball so I'd probably give it to Schweinsteiger. Wasn't fit and lacked game time early in the tournament but was brilliant by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mats Hummels
    Robben for me, I thought he was fantastic as usual.

Where is this Mascherano stuff coming from? He was pretty mediocre for most of the tournament, its like people just watched one or two games and decided because he played well that they have to vote for him.

My top five would have been

Robben
    Rodriguez
    Schweinsteiger
    Messi
    Muller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Mats Hummels
    roanoke wrote: »
    The goal against Bosnia was after 65 mins.

Plus Argentina would arguably have still won the group even if Messi hadn't scored either of those two aforementioned goals. 1 win and 2 draws would have seen them top F anyway.
    Why stop there? Why arbitrarily wipe out two goals and let his other two stand?

The reality is that Argentina would not have gotten out of the group if it weren't for Messi. He carried them through those games, plus the knockout round against the Swiss. Even beyond that, as defences got tighter and space less available, Argentina were able to defend so comfortably because the opposition were terrified of leaving space at the back for Messi to exploit. [Edit: I mean, come on, he was man of the match four times in seven games.]

Now I would have given the Golden Ball to someone else but this backlash against Messi is ridiculous. If he had a poor tournament then it was solely by his own high standards - anyone else would be delighted with his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Lionel Messi
    Reekwind wrote: »
    Why stop there? Why arbitrarily wipe out two goals and let his other two stand?

I don't know. Maybe you could ask the other poster. He initially credited Messi with 'pretty much 2 last minute goals in two separate matches that got Argentina out of the group'. Apparently those two particular goals were the difference, at least as far as I interpret his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eagle eye wrote: »
    Robben for me, I thought he was fantastic as usual.

Where is this Mascherano stuff coming from? He was pretty mediocre for most of the tournament, its like people just watched one or two games and decided because he played well that they have to vote for him.

My top five would have been

Robben
    Rodriguez
    Schweinsteiger
    Messi
    Muller

In fairness you could say the same about Schweinsteiger, he had a fantastic final but against Ghana he struggled to influence the game, Kroos was more influential against France and the whole midfield were off form against Algeria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement