Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Ball. Who would you have voted for?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well I'll offer one that hasn't been mentioned, but i thought Khedira could have gotten it. He had a brilliant tournament imo, pulled the strings for Germany and you could see they were missing him in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mats Hummels
    Robben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Neymar
    My opinion without doubt it should have been James Rodriguez. Played outstanding throughout. Messi played decent in spells but not nearly enough to win the award.

Mascherano would have been a close second too. Was a rock in the midfield and showed great courage and pride in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Neymar
    James Rodriguez I reckon. Messi seems to be taking a lotta criticism in this thread, quite undeserved in my opinion, but Rodriguez was the player that raised Colombia to another level, and it's a shame the referee allowed Brazil to kick him around like they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

It's been nearly a week i'd say that this has run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Gerard Houllier as part of the FIFA technical committee gives his reason for awarding Messi the Golden Ball

''We in the committee looked at all the games and judged who was most important for their team. He also played in the final, which is one of the conditions for the award of the prize

Messi was more than decisive in the first four games. In the semi-final against the Netherlands he took the first penalty and scored.

The analysis takes into account that he was captain of a united team, a team that played well together. That’s something not seen in a while for Argentina.

Messi was more than key in the national team and the way he played. To me, he fully deserves the Golden Ball award and he led his team to the
    final.”

Interesting perspective and makes the decision seem much more reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mats Hummels
    marienbad wrote: »
    Gerard Houllier as part of the FIFA technical committee gives his reason for awarding Messi the Golden Ball

''We in the committee looked at all the games and judged who was most important for their team. He also played in the final, which is one of the conditions for the award of the prize

Messi was more than decisive in the first four games. In the semi-final against the Netherlands he took the first penalty and scored.

The analysis takes into account that he was captain of a united team, a team that played well together. That’s something not seen in a while for Argentina.

Messi was more than key in the national team and the way he played. To me, he fully deserves the Golden Ball award and he led his team to the
    final.”

Interesting perspective and makes the decision seem much more reasonable

Funny how opinions differ, I think that was a load of utter bollocks from Houllier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Funny how opinions differ, I think that was a load of utter bollocks from Houllier.

I agree so basically a player could have 7 motm performances but his team loses in the semi's and wont be considered for the award as one of the conditions is he had to play in the final. As for scoring a penalty in a shoot out being a consideration that is outrageous. I thought messi had a decent world cup and deserved to be in the consideration for team of the tournament despite his poor semi final and final appearances. They got it wrong and Houllier knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Mats Hummels
    I agree so basically a player could have 7 motm performances but his team loses in the semi's and wont be considered for the award as one of the conditions is he had to play in the final. As for scoring a penalty in a shoot out being a consideration that is outrageous. I thought messi had a decent world cup and deserved to be in the consideration for team of the tournament despite his poor semi final and final appearances. They got it wrong and Houllier knows it.

It's almost as if they just made up a load rules in order to get their way. Very unlike FIFA.

• Advertisement

Well if one of the rules that you must have played in the final then that reduces any shortlist considerably, Messi Mascherano,Muller,Neuer , who else is there ? And out of that list Messi wining is not unreasonable , debateable yes unreasonable no.

Mats Hummels
    Well if one of the rules that you must have played in the final

Its also a brand new rule that has appeared out of nowhere, considering Forlan won the award in 2010 without playing in the final.

Funny that.

Its also a brand new rule that has appeared out of nowhere, considering Forlan won the award in 2010 without playing in the final.

Funny that.

Too many conspiracy theories at this stage. Messi winning it was debateable but not unreasonable . No matter how good James Rodriguez was ( and he was brilliant) no player was going to win it if their team went out in the Q/F.

And once Rodriguez was out of it , it was an open competition . I suspect that what is held against Messi was that he was not as good as we hoped he would and should have been , but even Messi lite was up there with everyone else.

Mats Hummels
    I suspect that what is held against Messi was that he was not as good as we hoped he would and should have been , but even Messi lite was up there with everyone else.

I detest this argument, you know we are perfectly able to judge games and performances on their own merits. Messi was ineffective in the semi-final and final, thats just the way it was and it has nothing to do with comparing those performances to previous club performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Lionel Messi
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Where is this Mascherano stuff coming from? He was pretty mediocre for most of the tournament, its like people just watched one or two games and decided because he played well that they have to vote for him.

I'd throw this back in your direction and say you weren't watching him closely enough. He was vital and consistent throughout Argentina's tournament and seems to have improved his range of passing since his time at Liverpool.

I detest this argument, you know we are perfectly able to judge games and performances on their own merits. Messi was ineffective in the semi-final and final, thats just the way it was and it has nothing to do with comparing those performances to previous club performances.

And I equally detest this argument ! It equally applies that we are able to judge things on their own merits ( as is Houlier by the way) it is just that we come to different conclusions than you.

Of course he wasn't ineffective ,that is just hyperbole . Of the Argentine frontline who was more effective than him ?

• Advertisement

Mats Hummels
    Of the Argentine frontline who was more effective than him ?

Is it your argument that he was the best of a bad bunch? Really? Is that the criteria of player of the tournament now, that he be better than the rest of a frontline that scored two goals from play in four matches?

To answer the question anyway, both Di Maria and Higuain actually managed to score a goal outside the group stages, maybe they should have been named player of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How is requiring three players at minimum to close you down ineffective?

Messi was instrumental in Argentina's goal in the final. Albeit higuain ran offside. That's higuain's mistake though. He made several in the final. Struggling to think of any messi made bar an overcooked free kick when he was out on his feet.

Is it your argument that he was the best of a bad bunch? Really? Is that the criteria of player of the tournament now, that he be better than the rest of a frontline that scored two goals from play in four matches?

To answer the question anyway, both Di Maria and Higuain actually managed to score a goal outside the group stages, maybe they should have been named player of the tournament.

Why ask a question if you are going to answer it for me ? Who would you have nominated and why taking into account the restrictions outlined by Houllier

Mats Hummels
    Why ask a question if you are going to answer it for me ? Who would you have nominated and why taking into account the restrictions outlined by Houllier

Why on earth would I take into account the restrictions outlined by Houllier when my original point was that they were a total load of bunkum?

Why on earth would I take into account the restrictions outlined by Houllier when my original point was that they were a total load of bunkum?

So anyone but Messi, thought so.

• Advertisement

Mats Hummels
    So anyone but Messi, thought so.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Angel Di Maria
    Muller
    Messi
    Neuer
    Mascherano
    Navas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Neuer was a standout player, he played sweeper for a back line that would have leaked alot of goals only for him. His role was high risk and he never let his team down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Is there something that means Neuer can't win it?

i.e. he gets the "Golden Gloves" and an outfield player has to win the "Golden Ball"?

Because I reckon Neuer was the best player and so do a good few other posters but his name doesn't even feature in this thread's poll.

Advertisement