Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saved a robin from my cat today - options?

• 14-07-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,791 ✭✭✭✭

So I saved the life of a little robin my cat was in the process of killing today. Very aggressive the cat was about it too - I had to kick her away from it several times and even then it kept coming back to finish the bird off. But I protected the robin for 5 minutes - I thought it was dying - but miraculously it flew away. And this was miraculous - the bird got a right going over. I was delighted to see it fly away.

Is there any way at all to discourage a cat killing every little bird it sees? I know this is natural instinct of a cat but I hate when this happens. I'll get demands to be rid of it if it keeps happening.

I didn't buy my cat - it just kind of wandered in one day but it's a very tame cat. At the same time though it's very aggressive with rats and birds and has killed many (the rats I don't mind so much). The cat is very well fed by me incidentally.

Any ideas or is this just normal and I either take it or leave it?

Ta!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Normal and if you can get it wear a collar (start with collar only) then put a small bell on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just get a collar with bell, it will alertb the birds p. make sure it one of the safety collars and not the traditional buckle one though as if the cat isn't use to wearing a collar it may get stuck on something and choke him/ her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

It's not the answer you want to hear but that's the joys of owning a cat unfortunately. My two both have bells on their collars but that hasn't stopped them catching birds/rodents etc I'm sure it's lessened their chances but there's nothing you can do to stop your cat catching birds besides keeping it indoors. You say you cat just found you, it was probably having to kill to survive before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

1 of our cats is a very well fed former feral that wandered in as a kitten. Every now and then he will kill a bird and eat all of it, even the feathers. I think it's how he stayed alive. I know a lot of people get angry about cats killing birds but that's nature I'm afraid and it's probably something the cat will do on and off to keep his hunting skills up.

In all honesty while I don't like it when he kills birds I look at it as a small price to pay for not being over run with mice/rats. We live in an urban area with lots of green areas but the amount of mice he brings home is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bells won't work as well if the cat has long fur as it cushions it from making noise.
    There is no guaranteed solution apart from keeping the cat indoors.

Btw next time just lift the cat up and put it in somewhere out of the way while the bird recovers. Shock can kill just as easily as a puncture wound and it's easier than kicking the cat away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,791 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I more nudged it with my leg. It's not like I booted it. I had to. Worked out in the end.

I got the collar and bell so see how it goes. Thanks for your advice.

P.S One more question - is it normal they bring rats to your doorstep? Is this like some sort of an offering or something? A misplaced thank you perhaps? I'd rather it just got rid of them itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes it's normal and not it's not an offering or a gift; she simply brought it home to teach her (non existent) offspring what to eat.
    The book Understanding Your Cat, by the well-known veterinarian and animal behavior expert Michael W. Fox, disagrees with the “gift theory,” arguing that “it is less a tribute or token offering to you than an instinct.” Dr. Fox says that bringing dead mice to you is simply a natural behavior in cats.

For example, mother cats bring food to their babies. When the kittens get a little older, Mama may bring them injured prey, or even live prey, so the kittens can learn that by killing this prey they will have food. Without this valuable lesson of using their survival instincts, the kittens would not survive in the wild.

Taken from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I think I remember reading that birds are most active, and thus vulnerable, at dawn and dusk so keeping the furry killer in at those times might help.

Advertisement