Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning French Canadian online

• 14-07-2014 3:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I found this: http://www.fluentin3months.com/quebec-french/

But it’s over the top. I don’t know anyone who says moé and toé for moi and toi anymore. And ‘addition’ is just fine in Québec (and other French-speaking places in Canada). I use it all the time and it’s never been a problem. I think if you went to Québec and tried to speak like the dialogue in the sample lesson, it wouldn’t go over very well. In fact, if you approached me and started using ‘moé’ and ‘toé’ as a non-Native speaker, I’d probably slap you. :p

A lot of what’s presented in the sample lesson is accurate though, especially when it comes to how we blend words together and drop some letters ('Chu' for 'je suis', 'y' for 'il', etc.). Dropping the ‘v’ in avec is not that common anymore, though.

All in all, those lessons would certainly be a good introduction. But the only way to really pick up the dialect would be to immerse yourself in the culture. You could try Meetup.com to find French conversation groups. I know there’s a group in Calgary, if that’s where you are. And watching French Canadian TV and movies would be helpful, once you understand a bit more how French Canadian works thanks to those lessons.

But if you have no French at all, you’d need to start by learning standard French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I would have to agree with Leafonthe wind. Learn standard French first, French as spoken in Quebec isn't really that different. It'd be like comparing standard English with the way people speak in Ireland.

Imagine if some foreigner who'd just arrived in Ireland tried speaking with an Irish accent and using only Irish expressions, wouldn't that be a bit weird? You'd expect them to speak a more neutral type of English until they started speaking very well, only then would they be able to integrate Irishisms in their speech.

It would be the same in Quebec.

Advertisement