Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Data

Options
  • 14-07-2014 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this for a family member. They are trying to get a mobile phone package that includes unlimited data. 'Three' seem to be the only ones offering this at the moment but their coverage for internet and phone is awful where they live (Donabate). Is there any mobile provider offering unlimited data that doesn't work off O2 lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GERALD GIRAFFE

Good evening M'Lady! I believe Meteor have unlimited data for €10. Although I think it's capped at 7.5GB. It's still not bad though. I'm a giraffe, I can't use mobile phones. Only big computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Good evening M'Lady! I believe Meteor have unlimited data for €10. Although I think it's capped at 7.5GB. It's still not bad though. I'm a giraffe, I can't use mobile phones. Only big computers.

That can't be described as unlimited if it's 7,5gb That's not much more than the average bill plan

If they had a 30gb cap maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks for the replies so far, 7.5gb would be of no benefit to them at all, they need unlimited or at the every least 30gb. I'm starting to think they might have to go with a dongle or something...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

m'lady wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, 7.5gb would be of no benefit to them at all, they need unlimited or at the every least 30gb. I'm starting to think they might have to go with a dongle or something...

Three have a FUP of 15Gb, so they may throttle the speed if it regularly goes over that anyway. Also they don't allow tethering on the mobile plans, according to their T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Meteor advertise as unlimited but in reality it's just 7.5GB which is an absolute scam and how they're allowed to advertise it as unlimited is beyond me.

Go with 3, Unlimited capped at 15GB and 4G if it's in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

She can't go with three, the signal and internet is awful where she lives..

Just to clarify, tethering is using your phone as a hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GERALD GIRAFFE

m'lady wrote: »
    She can't go with three, the signal and internet is awful where she lives..

Just to clarify, tethering is using your phone as a hotspot?

Yes M'Lady, I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Meteor advertise as unlimited but in reality it's just 7.5GB which is an absolute scam and how they're allowed to advertise it as unlimited is beyond me.

Go with 3, Unlimited capped at 15GB and 4G if it's in your area.

Unlimited under Fair Usage policy, so they can claim it. Three technically do offer Unlimited, but throttle it massively at 15GB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Unlimited under Fair Usage policy, so they can claim it. Three technically do offer Unlimited, but throttle it massively at 15GB.
    It's a total scam! Unlimited means unlimited, no limit, doesn't run out etc.

Not Unlimited*

(Subject to fair usage.)

If I opened a shop and advertised everything as free and then charged a fee to enter I wouldn't last long would I?

When I had Three when I passed 15GB I wasn't throttled, used maybe 40GB in that particular month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's a total scam! Unlimited means unlimited, no limit, doesn't run out etc.

Not Unlimited*

(Subject to fair usage.)

If I opened a shop and advertised everything as free and then charged a fee to enter I wouldn't last long would I?

When I had Three when I passed 15GB I wasn't throttled, used maybe 40GB in that particular month.

Fair usage policies are extremely common. Even UPCs Unlimited Data is subject to it, as is E-Fibre, both are capped at 250GB home broadband. O2s Unlimited Call plans are capped at 5000 minutes.

Its not a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just because a scam is common doesn't mean it's not a scam.

Not really a scam more misleading advertising don't agree with it and think it should be stopped but sure that's not gonna happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Three dont throttle, Ive regularly used 30-40 GB over the space of 2 days in my previous accommodation downloading games as well as all my regular browsing and Youtubing, tv shows etc on top of that.

Problem with 3 is the dropoff between areas with good signal in towns and rural areas, basically once you leave an urban area it drops away to nothing, I take Citylink a lot and the second you leave Dublin the connection is gone, then you get it back going through Athlone, then you wont see it again until galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thargor wrote: »
    Three dont throttle, Ive regularly used 30-40 GB over the space of 2 days in my previous accommodation downloading games as well as all my regular browsing and Youtubing, tv shows etc on top of that.

Problem with 3 is the dropoff between areas with good signal in towns and rural areas, basically once you leave an urban area it drops away to nothing, I take Citylink a lot and the second you leave Dublin the connection is gone, then you get it back going through Athlone, then you wont see it again until galway.

Yeah I regularly will go well above 15GB with Three on my mobile without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh and thats tethered to my phone without issue by the way, it might be in their T&Cs but there isnt a thing they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Emobile have a good offer and even better if you are an eircom customer too, think it's unlimited everything for 39e and if eircom customer u get it for 24e for six mths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Fair usage policies are extremely common. Even UPCs Unlimited Data is subject to it, as is E-Fibre, both are capped at 250GB home broadband. O2s Unlimited Call plans are capped at 5000 minutes.

Its not a scam

UPC is certainly not capped at 250GB. I think they say 500GB but i regularly exceed that without any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Have not noticed any throttle on 3 , Brother in London is using 3 IRL AYCED via €20 top up , He used 60Gb in Month 1 and something similar this month , He is roaming which may make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Of course it's a scam. If somebody advertises an "Unlimited" data plan then I would expect that to mean that in normal data use you should never have to worry about hitting any limits or roadblocks. Obviously one can argue the toss over what constitutes "normal" data use, but it's 2014, and people subscribe to streaming services such as Netflix. And then 7.5 GB seems like quite a miserly allowance indeed. If you constantly have to worry about your data use you can't say your package is "unlimited" by ANY stretch of the imagination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you want to do something about it, complain to the advertising authority, its the only way anything will get done. Absolutely no point complaining about it on here. O2 got slapped over it before, and AFAIR Three had a run in with them which they lost recently too.

No need to go to any "authority". Just vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerrykin22

Tesco mobile have a deal at the moment 25 euro sim only plan
    includes unlimited calls, texts and data. Calls and texts are
    to any network.

rozeboosje wrote: »
    No need to go to any "authority". Just vote with your feet.

Which will change nothing, as most of them do it.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Which will change nothing, as most of them do it.

"most". The first one who doesn't gets my business. Simples.

rozeboosje wrote: »
    "most". The first one who doesn't gets my business. Simples.

Let us know when you find it.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Let us know when you find it.

I'd be delighted to. But it will happen. As Beano pointed out, UPC have already smelled the coffee on the fixed broadband market. Somebody will cop on in the mobile market, too. It's only a matter of time.

Advertisement