Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meals that are easily reheatable?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

We work jobs with different hours and it means herself won't be home until 2-3 hours after me, too late for me to have dinner.

Looking for ideas for meals that I can cook and she can reheat later, that won't be gross. Even better would be things where the final stage of cooking can be completed later, so I can do most of the work and only cook half, letting her do the rest when she gets in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any dish with a high liquid content is good for reheating. Eg, stews, curries, bolognese, etc.

With it being summer & all that, you could also easily prepare salads & keep them refrigerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Salad is something you have with a meal :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Intifada wrote: »
    Salad is something you have with a meal :)

You don't know enough about salads if that's what you think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Any suggestions that aren't salad

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As Hill Billy said - stews, curries, chilli and bolognese. Suitable for freezing in portions if you make a big pot of it and just take it out when you need it.

Cook the rice / pasta fresh each time though - it only takes 5 minutes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Definitely slow cooked dishes work great and often better when reheated. Carnitas (mexican style pork) is ideal because you can use it in burritos, just have it on rice or nachos with some guacamole, cheese and sour cream. Just braise a large pork shoulder with all the usual spices, cumin, coriander, chili, smoked paprika etc. roasted peppers, onions and about 4 tins of tomatoes. Shred the meat and freeze in batches. Lasts ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shepards pie. Have often made a big batch of the stuff, and frozen it into portions that I freeze in freezer bags. Leave it to thaw overnight, and heat up next day.

It's a lot easier to make in bulk and freeze in portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've not come across a meal yet that I can't freeze in portions and reheat. I always cook the side dish fresh though (so spaghetti today for my reheated bolognese) and I have stopped doing things like shepherd's pie as the potato topping didn't come back as nice as it went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lasagne

Advertisement