Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full or semi-synthetic for an old CB-1?

• 14-07-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and lasses,

Nothing like the summer to bring out all the engine oil posts... ;) - so here's a quick yea or nay one for you.

Looking to change the oil and filter in an old (1989) CB-1 400. I see a lot of "service packs" on eBay for 4l Motul 5000 10W40 semi-synthetic plus the required filter. But then a mate whose opinion I'd normally trust says no, that's a very high-revving engine (true) with a wet clutch (also true) and that I'd be better off paying for full synthetic (about €50 for 4l). *Especially* as it's an old bike (about 55k on the clock).

Ridiculous overkill, or words of wisdom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

peckerhead wrote: »
    Hi lads and lasses,

Nothing like the summer to bring out all the engine oil posts... ;) - so here's a quick yea or nay one for you.

Looking to change the oil and filter in an old (1989) CB-1 400. I see a lot of "service packs" on eBay for 4l Motul 5000 10W40 semi-synthetic plus the required filter. But then a mate whose opinion I'd normally trust says no, that's a very high-revving engine (true) with a wet clutch (also true) and that I'd be better off paying for full synthetic (about €50 for 4l). *Especially* as it's an old bike (about 55k on the clock).

Ridiculous overkill, or words of wisdom?
    I run Motul 5100 in bike of similar vintage.
    Semi-synth is fine is a bike of that vintage, no need for full synthetic.
    Modern oils are very good compared to the stuff that would have been in existence back when the bike was new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Semi is perfectly fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers, kinda confirmed my own thinking... (was full synthetic even available back then?). I'll throw in the semi- and keep an eye on the temperature gauge - in fairness it never even reaches the midway point no matter how hard I push it. Out on it yesterday for the first time in a good while and had forgotten what a nippy little yoke it is; looking forward to blowing away a few cobwebs over the next few weeks... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

peckerhead wrote: »
    Cheers, kinda confirmed my own thinking... (was full synthetic even available back then?). I'll throw in the semi- and keep an eye on the temperature gauge - in fairness it never even reaches the midway point no matter how hard I push it. Out on it yesterday for the first time in a good while and had forgotten what a nippy little yoke it is; looking forward to blowing away a few cobwebs over the next few weeks... :D
    Using semi-syn will not make your engine run any hotter than full syn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

5100 all the way. No doubs about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Those yokes are bulletproof. As long as there is no "friction reducing" additive in it you should be grand - otherwise the clutch might slip. Just change the oil regularly.

Advertisement