Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first caravan...

Options
  • 14-07-2014 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about buying a camper/caravan,

Putting me off the campervan are the associated costs of running, taxing, doe and maintenance per annum against use is not looking attractive option.

Caravan looks a more economical option given I have the means to tow and I have external storage sorted.
    Any tips on buying as I havent a clue what to look for as in brands. common problems when viewing a old one, paperwork, certificates, receipts etc.
    I'd prefer to pay the little extra and buy 2nd/3rd hand from a dealer but seen some dodgy looking places advertising....any suggestions I'm based in Dublin.
    Driving licence wise will ya get away with a B?
    Majority of travel if not all will be in Ireland.
    All I know is I am looking for a 4 to 5 berth...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi,
    Thinking about buying a camper/caravan,

Putting me off the campervan are the associated costs of running, taxing, doe and maintenance per annum against use is not looking attractive option.

Caravan looks a more economical option given I have the means to tow and I have external storage sorted.
    Any tips on buying as I havent a clue what to look for as in brands. common problems when viewing a old one, paperwork, certificates, receipts etc.
    I'd prefer to pay the little extra and buy 2nd/3rd hand from a dealer but seen some dodgy looking places advertising....any suggestions I'm based in Dublin.
    Driving licence wise will ya get away with a B?
    Majority of travel if not all will be in Ireland.
    All I know is I am looking for a 4 to 5 berth...

Thanks

Caravan or Camper, Totally different in terms of travel and use. It's a personal choice depending on type of use, family structure, amount of time available, etc., I've had both and each are 'right' in their own time.

Driving licence, so long as the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the caravan doesn't exceed 3,500kg a B licence is ok. The only proviso is that the towing vehicle must be heavier than the caravan, The Caravan Club recommends that the weight of the caravan should not exceed 80% of the weight of the towing vehicle.
    The weights to be used are not the actual weights you might get if the car and caravan were weighed but the manufacturers weights which can be found on the VIN plate of each.

While stolen campers are relatively few the same unfortunately cannot be said about caravans. Because there is no registration number or Certificate of Registration (log book) like there is for motor vehicles there is a healthy trade in stolen caravans. Do not buy a caravan at the side of the road or in a car park, make sure you see it at the sellers house and if the seller meets you outside the house or you are not invited in as a courtesy suspect he/she may not live at the address.
    Check if there is any record of a similar make/model being reported as stolen to The Gardaí.
    As a precaution check the CRiS NUmber, it will tell you the correct year of manufacture and you can use it to check online if the caravan has been reported stolen, Every window should have the number etched on it. However the system is not recognised or supported by The Gardaí but a previous owner might have had the caravan logged as stolen.
    If the number has been in any way interfered with walk away

Finally, remember that if you are conned into buying a stolen caravan you could end with it being recovered from you and being left no caravan and your money gone :(

Happy hunting and years of enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

In the same boat.....hoping to be ready for next year. could someone pm me the names of the honest /trustworthy caravan dealers in Ireland or the ones to avoid if that is easier.....

Is there value to be gained by buying in the uk ?

Cheers.

In the same boat.....hoping to be ready for next year. could someone pm me the names of the honest /trustworthy caravan dealers in Ireland or the ones to avoid if that is easier.....

Is there value to be gained by buying in the uk ?

Cheers.

Don't know about price advantage, but there are a huge number of very reputable dealers who are main agents for the many manufacturers where you can find a massive choice. Why not buy a few of the caravanning mags and brown the ads in those as a starter.

Remember when buying second-hand in the UK or anywhere else in the EU there is no VAT to be paid on import and of course VRT does not apply to caravans.

Also in the UK the CRiS system is more effective in ensuring you don't end up with a stolen unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sisky

Hi,
    Charles Camping in Blessington Wicklow. I think they have an open weekend of sorts this week end. Newbridge Caravans is another although I don't know a lot about them. The CRIS number is important as there are a lot of stolen caravans in Ireland. Don't be afraid to look at private sellers. Give plenty of time to talk to the people. They should have plenty of stories about their van and be able to explain every mark and dent etc. Find a friend who has a van and get them to look at the van with you if that's an option.
    I bought my caravan from England a few years ago but it appears the vans are holding their value there now and with sterling so poor there is no room to make a killing. There are plenty of sellers up north as well but your back to sterling there again. Done Deal is the best place to see what's on offer. I have had a few Bailey caravans and they are very popular. The dealer in Mallow in Co Cork stopped selling last year. Last thing. Fixed bed is fab and I wouldn't be without it.
    Happy Caravaning Sisky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Found this place last night and emailed them,
    Irish caravan and council....
    http://www.campingireland.ie/sales-and-hire/caravansales.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Don't know about price advantage, but there are a huge number of very reputable dealers who are main agents for the many manufacturers where you can find a massive choice. Why not buy a few of the caravanning mags and brown the ads in those as a starter.

Remember when buying second-hand in the UK or anywhere else in the EU there is no VAT to be paid on import and of course VRT does not apply to caravans.

Also in the UK the CRiS system is more effective in ensuring you don't end up with a stolen unit.

I am sure you need to be registered for VAT here (as in a company with a VAT number) not to be liable to pay UK VAT on the import...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Hi. I was looking at a few caravans also. Someone told me to avoid double axle caravans because some sites dint allow them. Is there any truth in this? What's the down side to a double axle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Satanta wrote: »
    Hi. I was looking at a few caravans also. Someone told me to avoid double axle caravans because some sites dint allow them. Is there any truth in this? What's the down side to a double axle?

I've never come across any sites who don't accept twin-axle caravans. Most of those who used to have twin-axles are now driving motorhomes anyway.

The main difficulty you might have with a twin-axle is the weight. They would typically be in the >1600KG size and you would need a fairly big towcar. This would be very likely to bring your total weight over 3500KG so you would need a BE licence.

Another downside is that a twin-axle is more difficult to manoeuvre by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Fiat in car models is similar to what in caravan models?
    Toyota in cars is similar to what model in caravans?

Looking for something that will be reliable, comfortable & easily resold..

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Fiat in car models is similar to what in caravan models?
    Toyota in cars is similar to what model in caravans?

Looking for something that will be reliable, comfortable & easily resold..

cheers

In that case you're better off going for a motorhome.

• Advertisement

I am sure you need to be registered for VAT here (as in a company with a VAT number) not to be liable to pay UK VAT on the import...

Does not apply to second-hand goods on which VAT has already been paid when new. VAT is an EU wide tax and is only to be paid once.
    If second-hand goods are brought in from a non EU country that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

db wrote: »
    I've never come across any sites who don't accept twin-axle caravans. Most of those who used to have twin-axles are now driving motorhomes anyway.

The main difficulty you might have with a twin-axle is the weight. They would typically be in the >1600KG size and you would need a fairly big towcar. This would be very likely to bring your total weight over 3500KG so you would need a BE licence.

Another downside is that a twin-axle is more difficult to manoeuvre by hand.

Thanks for that. What bout a Lunar Delta 610/4. It is twin axle and apparently only weighs 1150kg. Which is odd because it is quite big. The tow car is a volvo s80 @ 1600kg.

So at that I presume I dont need the BE license?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the reason for this was to keep out travelers.

now there are so many twin axle vans out there it's not really practical.

I have seen a few "no commercial tow vehicles" signs..... keep your tar mac and furniture transits out!!

down side of a double is it's heavier, and a LOT harder to manually haul around on a pitch. If you are the kind of person who spins the van so the tow bar as away from the roadway (why do people do this???) then you'll have a harder time doing it with a twin

BUT

it is a million times more stable on the road. much less sway when a lorry thunders past on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Thanks for that. What bout a Lunar Delta 610/4. It is twin axle and apparently only weighs 1150kg. Which is odd because it is quite big. The tow car is a volvo s80 @ 1600kg.

So at that I presume I dont need the BE license?

The MTPLM (fully loaded permissible mass) is 1600kg so this would be a 100% match for your Volvo. While you are well under the limit for your license it is absolutely borderline in terms of safety and not recommended. The towing limit of your car may also be less than 1600kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

My advice would be to go cheap & cheerful on first one, once you're sure it's for you you can easily upgrade (fairly vibrant starter market). Damp is the main thing to watch it for, buy a damp meter, take someone who knows what to look for (at the junctions, especially at the front).

Do a search here, this thread comes up every few months so you'll get loads more advice that way.

I think why people turn the caravan around is convenience of door in relation to the pitch. On newer single axle you can have Alko ATC, which combats snaking.

Advertisement