Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots

Options
  • 14-07-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for a recommendation for goodhiking boots, preferably light, waterproof and with good ankle support. There are so many brands and types to choose from making it confusing so it'd be great to have some recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I use these as my summer boots;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-North-Face-Hedgehog-T0A2Q8KU6/dp/B00GE0ABC2

I find them excellent, good ankle support, very lightweight and very waterproof too. I don't know why Amazon describe them as "Snow Boots" though, they're not insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

what kind of feet do you have?

wide / narrow

high arch? low arch

different brands suit different shaped feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I bought two pairs of Meindls, boots and shoes, and I love both models. The boots are just fantastic. Light, strong, comfortable, and truly feel like my feet get a hug at every step I take. Honestly, best boot I have ever walked on. The shoes are great too, but they needed 3rd party soles to get them right. I use the boots for heavy hiking, rough trails and the shoes for lighter hikes or walks.

I bought both pairs at the Great Outdoors.

The boot is MEINDL Meran GTX http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=232_31_111&products_id=236014

The shoe is MEINDL Black Python GTX Unisex http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=213230

Great Outdoors has great staff, they measure your foot, and get you a good fitting shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

sheesh wrote: »
    what kind of feet do you have?

wide / narrow

high arch? low arch

different brands suit different shaped feet.

I have normal width feet, low arch. I know little about hiking gear but I'm just looking for general advice really as I'm sure there are bands which I should avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

+ 1 for the Meindl's and the Great Outdoors. Other good brands would be North Face, Berghaus, Brasher.

So go for a good brand and a good store to fit them.

The main brands or shoes to avoid (or be cautious about at any rate) would be the sort of no-name shoes you might see on offer at Aldi or Lidl now and again.

• Advertisement

Poncke wrote: »

Great Outdoors has great staff, they measure your foot, and get you a good fitting shoe.

I worked in the great outdoors (an age ago in fairness) they make a special effort in training their staff for boot fitting they will take a look at your feet and tell you which brand will be suitable. so that is what i would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lot depends on the type of terrain you are going to be walking and the season and weather. Boots are heavy and if you are a sweater they would be tough on the feet. But they may be necessary if you are hiking through boggy ground.
    A lot depends on your own preferences. Many footwear claim to be waterproof and you will pay 150eur plus, but a tack or sharp object going up through the boot or shoe ends that.
    You may find that you will have to buy both boots and trail shoes. Light trail shoes are very handy as you can use them for your daily walks or walking to work in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I might buy both hiking boots and trail shoes. I'm preparing to climb kilimanjaro next year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For general hill-walking in Ireland, I have had great success with the Brasher Hillmaster boot. For Kilimanjaro however, I would definitely go to the likes of GO and seek professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I'd like to try hillwalking out but not sure I want to invest in an expensive pair of hiking boots until I at least go once and know I want to keep it up.

A couple of people have mentioned lower cost boots that are sometimes available in Lidl or Aldi, was thinking to try this in the very short-term, would anyone have an idea what time of year these might become available?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Thanks. I'm looking for a less expensive version to try it out once... Also I would be looking for Ladies Boots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You could maybe try out Hi-Tec boots that are for sale in some outdoor shops.

They tend to be the cheapest brand of hiking boots that are for sale in outdoor shops.

I don't know anyone who has used Hi-Tec boots, and for that reason, I won't offer a recommendation of them.

Cheap gear doesn't tend to be great, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I've had a couple of pairs of Hi-Tec walking shoes for knocking about in... decent waterproofing and they've taken a beating. Great value for the price. Dunno about their boots though.

Don't buy Regatta footwear, it's utter rubbish. They fall apart quickly and leak like sieves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Take a look in TK Maxx. Regularly have Hi Tec boots at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Northface have a sale on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

northgirl wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm looking for a less expensive version to try it out once... Also I would be looking for Ladies Boots :)

try amazon, thats where i got them and saved a few quid

I don't know anyone who has used Hi-Tec boots, and for that reason, I won't offer a recommendation of them.

Cheap gear doesn't tend to be great, tbh.

I did, burst after 2 or 3 hikes, but got credit note after.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64175644&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Great sale in Great Outdoors on Chatham st

Have had hi-tech trail shoes used them as everyday wear and cost me €40 in a sale in an outdoor shop they were pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

I use these , a bit expensive but i have them a few years and they are the best boots Iv'e ever used and they are still perfect

I cant post links but look up the Bates GX8 boot , they're the same as mine except mine don't have a zip, Bit on the military side but thats another thing i love about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just grab the ones in Lidl and decent socks, they're perfect, Hiking special again next Thursday.

Thargor wrote: »
    Just grab the ones in Lidl and decent socks, they're perfect, Hiking special again next Thursday.

Yeah, I saw that, been waiting the last few weeks for them to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Salomon boots are the business .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blowin3 wrote: »
    Salomon boots are the business .
    For some people, yes, others not. They have very tight, narrow heel areas which have caused at least two people I know serious problems with their Achilles tendons.

In short, the boots that 'are the business' for you, are the ones that fit you regardless of brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Its funny you say that. I have a pair of Merrill chameleon shoes and ruptured my Achilles jumping off a locked farm gate. The back support on the Merrills are high and I have suffered since. But the Salomon no real problem just a little sore on the arches and of course getting used to the high cut boot. The other thing had to order a size up to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well that's just it ... certain boots suit certain people, there's no one single brand that suits everybody.

Advertisement