Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking Motorola Defy phone from network provider:

Options
  • 14-07-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

Unlocking Motorola Defy phone from Vodafone network:

I got the NAC code (network unlock code) from Vodafone corresponding to the correct IMEI.

They supplied me with the wrong code.

I know this because later on I got in contact with the manufacturer (Motorola) and
    they gave me the correct NAC code.

Unfortunately I entered the code supplied by Vodafone 3 times (I know very silly), before
    getting in contact with Motorola.

Now I have the correct NAC but when I put in a non-Vodafone SIM card the phone does not ask me for the NAC code. Under normal circumstances a screen should appear asking the user to 'Enter Special Code'.

I have done a complete software and hardware resetting of the phone. But the phone still will not display the NAC input screen.

I have tried leaving a non-vodafone SIM card in the phone for 24hrs but the NAC input screen does not appear.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

The following website: https://www.freeunlocks.com/blog/how-to-unlock-motorola-defy.htm says the following at the end:
    After 40 min to 2 hours maximum, the message “Enter Code Special” will appear again!

So perhaps you just need to leave the phone off for a period of time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ITFarmer

Thanks Steviemoyne,

I have tried leaving the phone off for a period of time without any success.
    The 'Enter Special Code' that should appear when an non-vodafone SIM card is used still does not appear.

Would recommend getting back on to Motorolla then, or bringing the phone into a Vodafone store and seeing if anything can be done (presuming you bought it from them I would imagine it would be up to them to provide support for it). You could try asking over in the Vodafone Talk To forum before bringing it into the shop directly if that would suit you better.

Link to boards Vodafone talk to forum.

Yep, returning the phone to vodafone and asking them to reset (repair) the phone is probably what I will end up doing.

However it is an old phone (out of warranty etc), hence there would be a fee to get it reset.

Probably cheaper to just buy another phone.

• Advertisement

I would personally argue tooth and nail against paying anything extra. It's not your fault that your particular device isn't displaying the unlock screen, if anyone's fault it's Motorolla. You're planning to continue to be a customer with Vodafone, they can at least give you to means to be a customer with them.

If they decide to charge you then I would say you plan to switch, and you probably should if that is the stance this wish to take. If you plan on buying a new handset my suggestion would be to purchase it already unlocked instead of in a network store.

That being said all of that is what I would personally do. What you decide to do is entirely up to you. Let me know how you got on if you get everything sorted, would be interested to hear Vodafones view on your problem.

Thanks, I have another basic Nokia phone (not a smart phone) that does the job. So getting the Motorola Defy phone network unlocked would be nice but not essential.

As you suggested, I will most likely buy another handset (ideally unlocked).

Advertisement