Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EGAR IN THE NEWS FOR CRUELTY

• 14-07-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

[www.thejournal.ie/animal-cruelty-galway-rescue-centre-1565936-Jul2014/

report by the Journal.ie

Mod note: For future posters, this thread does contravene what we state in our Charter but this is an exception to the rule. It has been discussed prior to being allowed to proceed under the remit that no other rescue or charity is mentioned apart from those involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Holy ****... Is €250 really enough???

Its a very sad story, What i hope is these dogs don't get put down and they find a how, so they can have some sort of enjoyment in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Its a very sad story, What i hope is these dogs don't get put down and they find a how, so they can have some sort of enjoyment in life.

The dogs are with Galway spca, they won't be killed.And there's a petition trying to stop Sarah Gunther from getting them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really can't believe this news. I often thought that when it came time for me to give another dog a home I'd go to EGAR. The state of those kennels, with the filth and dead dogs, it's mindboggling how anyone, especially a rescue, could allow it to happen.

I would support her not only not getting those dogs back, but being banned from owning animals for a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I haven't fostered dogs in years but I remember that lady was great at saving the bull breeds. I am completely shocked! What happened to her? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My boy is an EGAR dog. I'm at a loss of what to think. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

There was a similar case of a lady who ran a few years ago, she just got completely overwhelmed with all the animals. The judge labelled her a hoarder but this honestly wasn't the case as we rehired a dog with her! Gosh I am just in complete shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm just so shocked by the whole thing. I was trying to justify it in my head that maybe they were new dogs she had taken in who arrived in that state, but one of them was Chieftain, the wolf hybrid she has had for years. Plus, skulls and bodies.

It's just awful news. I don't know what to think. I cancelled my standing order to EGAR this morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm not sure what to believe tbh. Anyone who likes their page on FB will regularly see that state that some of the dog are in when they come to her - they're like the dogs in the pictures maybe even worse? She states on FB that she had to segregate the dogs due to a bug going around and had no option but to put them in the old kennels that had been flooded. I've seen a good few rescues shut down because they can's take the abuse people give them on FB anymore - how do we know this isn't the same kind of vendetta?! On FB she said her solicitors are involved and the dogs are going back to her but looks like the page has been taken down...

It pi$$es me off that keyboard warriors are quick to speak up against rescues but have nothing to say about the owners who dumped them in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

On the EGAR Facebook page (which she has since deleted) she made a statement about the case where she claimed "it was an error in judgement". There were dead dogs on the property, all of which can be seen in the photos, her excuses are feeble! She should have gotten jail time not a measly €250 fine. It was her responsibility to nurture and bring these dogs back to health, not make life worse for them.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    My boy is an EGAR dog. I'm at a loss of what to think. :(

Your dog is with you, that's what to think :)

I think she had the best intentions for the dogs and life got on top of her. Im not one for witch hunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to believe tbh. Anyone who likes their page on FB will regularly see that state that some of the dog are in when they come to her

Phoe was at deaths door, he came to me after 2 days and at that stage I was fostering. So, all of his bills were being covered by EGAR. At no stage at all did she question the money spent or if any treatment was unnecessary, the whole priority was to do whatever I had to to get him well. This all seems at odds with that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not sure what to believe tbh. Anyone who likes their page on FB will regularly see that state that some of the dog are in when they come to her - they're like the dogs in the pictures maybe even worse? She states on FB that she had to segregate the dogs due to a bug going around and had no option but to put them in the old kennels that had been flooded. I've seen a good few rescues shut down because they can's take the abuse people give them on FB anymore - how do we know this isn't the same kind of vendetta?! On FB she said her solicitors are involved and the dogs are going back to her but looks like the page has been taken down...
    Lets assume that due to an illness some dogs had to be quarantined. Grand, no problem with that. Why were they quarantined somewhere with dog skulls? Why were there rotting corpses in kennels? Why were the kennels not made suitable for habitation? Why were there unopened tins of food rusting? Why were the dogs so thin and obviously neglected?

I just can't buy 'it got too much for her'. Someone who runs a rescue, of all people, should know that when you need help you ask for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Mod note: This has come up a few times since last week and we were waiting for a valid media source other than Facebook to allow this thread to run. As this is outside the normal remit of allowing discussion of a rescue, we will allow this thread to run as it has linked to a decent enough media link. The thread will stay open depending on how civil and factual it is kept by everyone.

Please only mention EGAR and the GSPCA, no other rescues by name thanks.Also do not link to ANY of the petitions doing the rounds on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think she had the best intentions for the dogs and life got on top of her. Im not one for witch hunts.

I think you are right, I don't envy anyone who takes on the rescue of any kind of animal in Ireland, it's tough, never ending and sometimes thankless job. :(

Although in saying that she really shouldn't be getting those dogs back, she is clearly, for whatever reason, unable to care for them and they should stay where they are until they get good homes. Still I am completely shocked by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

It pi$$es me off that keyboard warriors are quick to speak up against rescues but have nothing to say about the owners who dumped them in the first place!

One of the emaciated dogs was in her ownership from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Evil woman. Was very quick to throw around accusations and judge herself and look what she had going on behind the facade - and she wants the animals back!

I don't know Sarah in person, but I had many many encounters with her on Fb, and they were never positive,rather I found her abusive and aggressive. Whilst I certainly do not disagree that she has done very good things, she should not get away with this. Unfortunately the case was tried under the old laws, as it was filed before the new laws became effective.
    Nothing can be done about that, but she should not get in possession of those dogs ever again.And I don't think she should run a rescue, I would be in favor of her signing over the running of the rescue to someone else.
    Egar is set up as a business (check the CRO) so it should not be a problem to assign another director.
    The other rescue can not re-home these dogs until they have full ownership (currently the dogs are still official possession of the gardai), which is where she needs to apply to regain ownership.
    I think under the Journal.ie article somewhere is a link to a petition asking to stop just that. If anyone wants it, i can send it as a personal message, I have signed it as well.

I think it would be difficult for some one else to run egar as she runs it from her private home.

well, the last thing we need is another rescue closed.maybe even sign up a supervisor, someone who will make sure things don't get out of hand.She needs to be controlled, for the animals sake, and for hers

• Advertisement

She states there have been three unannounced inspections over the last year since the arrest, it is hard to know if this is true or not, and they found no concerns......

I think for her own safety she has to step down, there is a real mob mentality online, which I suppose is understandable, but she does have a child and could potentially be at risk... Including herself there are some militant animal lovers out there, a taste of her own medicine might not taste so nice......she obviously has made many many enemies over the years, she needs to issue a statement to say she is stepping from animal rescue and either appointing someone else to ru. Gears affairs, or shut shop completely. Tragic for the bull breeds but what does she expect, those pictures make me want to vomit. The fact now there is one less recuse with a no kill (how ironic) and willing to take pit bulls or dogs with dog to dog aggression is devastating for these breeds, in one foul swoop she has fckued it up for so many animals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay, I wish I could publically post what I am happy to say in private, but I cannot post what I'd like to here for fear of drawing trouble upon myself.
    I've been directly involved in Irish rescue circles for years. I also have an EGAR dog who I've had for 11 years. I know the score there and have done for a long, long time, as do most people who run rescues in Ireland. Because of this, I'm afraid I'm finding some of what's being said here is pretty naive. There's been so much stuff going on in the background that I don't know the half of, and so the general public realise even less.
    I would encourage anyone who supports any rescue group in Ireland to make damn sure that they're what they say they are, and never to make assumptions.
    Error of judgement indeed.

Yes there is, and I can understand that. i don't think there are many rescue's she has not upset.Some of the threads she was involved in facebook were pure evil, and she accused other rescue's of exactly what was found with her. I can understand people want her blood, I myself was quite ready to put a few well placed slaps across her face.
    But I am also a realist and that won't help the dogs.
    And, since she makes a living form the donations, I don't think she will step away from it unless she is forced to.I'm currently looking into filing requirements for companies her size and will see what can be done there. Still, ultimately, I don't want the rescue closed without an alternative..I do want her gone though.

I'm actually worried for her at this stage. I genuinely think she had the best of intentions and things sadly did run away from her- I'm not excusing the state the dogs were found in, but considering the amount of dogs she has undoubtedly helped in the past I really hope the persecution of her doesn't continue. If her posts over the years on FB are true, she has been subjected to some pretty chilling threats in the past, particularly over some of the stuff that went on with dogs up North. I really, really hope people don't lose the run of themselves in all this.

I understand that sometimes she didn't exactly make everyone's buddy list, but I always assumed it was just a personality trait in that she didn't suffer fools lightly. And, to be honest, I liked that about her.

I think the best possible outcome from this would be that she ceases to run the rescue and that people leave her alone and don't harass her- online or otherwise.

I think you should read up as to what has gone on up in the north...she initiated a hate campaign, set up multiple facebook accounts, told lie another lie, and persecuted the family, google her name and do a bit of reading about her tactics. She was the instigator, and a vindictive cold calculating one too... Google it and spend a bit of time reading the blog, fascinating stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What is EGAR read backwards?

I think the best possible outcome from this would be that she ceases to run the rescue and that people leave her alone and don't harass her- online or otherwise.

I agree and i think that's all people want. As far as I know, there's a few rescue's stand bye to take in the dogs she currently has would she be asking for help.

dharma200 wrote: »
    I think you should read up as to what has gone on up in the north...she initiated a hate campaign, set up multiple facebook accounts, told lie another lie, and persecuted the family, google her name and do a bit of reading about her tactics. She was the instigator, and a vindictive cold calculating one too... Google it and spend a bit of time reading the blog, fascinating stuff really.

True, I have never looked at the other side. My only real exposure to it all has been through her FB.

EGAR is the only charity I've never been to or met in real life that I have been supporting regularly for years, but I've definitely learned my lesson. You really don't know what's going on behind closed doors, so unless I've stepped through those doors like I have with the other charities I support, I won't be giving a cent again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

DBB wrote: »
    Okay, I wish I could publically post what I am happy to say in private, but I cannot post what I'd like to here for fear of drawing trouble upon myself.
    I've been directly involved in Irish rescue circles for years. I also have an EGAR dog who I've had for 11 years. I know the score there and have done for a long, long time, as do most people who run rescues in Ireland. Because of this, I'm afraid I'm finding some of what's being said here is pretty naive. There's been so much stuff going on in the background that I don't know the half of, and so the general public realise even less.
    I would encourage anyone who supports any rescue group in Ireland to make damn sure that they're what they say they are, and never to make assumptions.
    Error of judgement indeed.

It's not really naive if we are not aware of 'the stuff going on in the background'. If you don't feel you can supply those details then don't judge me if I come to a different conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm as shocked as the rest of you, but have no sympathy for the woman. I'm not involved in dog rescue but saw many posts of hers on this forum over the years and she hadn't made a positive impression on me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement