Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EGAR IN THE NEWS FOR CRUELTY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Remains of 3 dogs??? That is shocking.

warning. this is very graphic. Admin, please remove if outside the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

doubter wrote: »
    warning. this is very graphic. Admin, please remove if outside the rules

Does that dog have something tied round him? Its all just heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

maggiepip wrote: »
    Does that dog have something tied round him? Its all just heartbreaking.

I think that have may have been the dogs collar. It probably looks big as the body of the dog is emaciated and already skelatised even though the fur has not completely rotted away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Believe me when I say I have no time for Sarah Gunther but the two Facebook pages I have seen are a disgrace and whoever is posting all/some of the content on them isn't coming across very stable at all! Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind!

All of the emotive language being used and the shouting in capital letters makes them come across badly and will make it very hard to get the 'regular' person on board who isn't involved in the online/FB community of 'rescue'. I've long since 'unliked' most of the rescue/animal group pages I used to frequent as I just couldn't deal with the rubbish spouted on them by the usual suspects and I see quite a few of the usual suspects cropping up on this page. It will descend into farce, chaos, and the usual sniping and bitching without achieving anything meaningful and in fact, they could do more harm than good in the long run.

I am SO SO glad I got out of doing the little bit of rescue that I did as I just hated all of the politics and everything that goes with it, and that is a shame because I was one of the good ones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Vel wrote: »
    I am SO SO glad I got out of doing the little bit of rescue that I did as I just hated all of the politics and everything that goes with it, and that is a shame because I was one of the good ones!!!

To be honest, it's put me right off ever entering the world of rescue!!!
    I have taken in numerous feral pregnant cats and sorted them for food/homes/neutering, yes, but entering the rescue world in an official capacity, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Magenta wrote: »
    To be honest, it's put me right off ever entering the world of rescue!!!

Frickin right... Qualified doctors assessing people anonymously on a Facebook page?

No.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Frickin right... Qualified doctors assessing people anonymously on a Facebook page?

No.

She has a doctorate in psychology... that's not quite the same thing, written in this context at least, as being a qualified doctor!
    But I take your point, regardless :)

DBB wrote: »
    She has a doctorate in psychology... that's not quite the same thing, written in this context at least, as being a qualified doctor!
    But I take your point, regardless :)

and she has met Miss gunther in person quite a few times.Still, I agree, and have said that to the group in a pm, that that kind of talk isn't helpfull.I'm trying to stay levelheaded, but I have been shown some pics that haven't been posted yet and i'm afraid this is going to get worse before it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

Meeting someone isn't the same as doing a psychological assessment which requires several hours of interviews and the administration of standardised psychological tests. Anyone with any knowledge of mental health, an especially a qualified (I'm assuming clinical) psychologist should know that what they're suggesting about Sarah Gunther's personality/mental health on the page is completely outrageous. It's really annoys me but that's the last I'll say on the subject.

I'm curious to know what's coming so I will be keeping an eye out but I do think the admin on the page are going too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Irish animal rescues must be regulated Facebook page seems to be a level headed page and they're asking for opinions and ideas. If anybody wants to join in. It may not get anywhere but has a fair but of info on It. I'm sure further contributions would be appreciated.

It doesn't appear to be directed towards any one person and is looking at problems as a whole......Although they don't have their own resident psychologist.

• Advertisement

Meeting someone isn't the same as doing a psychological assessment which requires several hours of interviews and the administration of standardised psychological tests. Anyone with any knowledge of mental health, an especially a qualified (I'm assuming clinical) psychologist should know that what they're suggesting about Sarah Gunther's personality/mental health on the page is completely outrageous. It's really annoys me but that's the last I'll say on the subject.

I'm curious to know what's coming so I will be keeping an eye out but I do think the admin on the page are going too far.

as said earlier..live by the sword, die by the sword. She has been very good in accusing people of being re****, mentally challenged and psychopaths.What do you expect?I don't know all the fights with everyone she had but I'm probably not far besides the truth when i say that at least part of the people stating that were accused of the same by her. Doesn't make it right, but it certainly makes it understandable.Either way, we'll see what else comes to light

I for one are going to take one of horses down to the beach for an evening canter whilst it's still nice.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

doubter wrote: »
    as said earlier..live by the sword, die by the sword. She has been very good in accusing people of being re****, mentally challenged and psychopaths.What do you expect?I don't know all the fights with everyone she had but I'm probably not far besides the truth when i say that at least part of the people stating that were accused of the same by her. Doesn't make it right, but it certainly makes it understandable.Either way, we'll see what else comes to light

Or be the bigger person and do things properly.

Have a nice canter on the beach, and give the two mutts a hug from me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So when is the government going to actually regulate what is a rescue and who can operate one? I don't think it would be advisable to hold your breath.

I suppose one good start would be to properly commence/enforce the latest charity registration process. I think new regulations were enacted in 2009(?), but there are insufficient funds at the moment to enforce that Act, and charities are still being registered under the old system, which is cumbersome and probably full of opportunities to not do things by the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

What I've found the most amazing about this whole saga is the politics of animal rescue. While i know there's a few holier than thou types in it, i could never have imagined it was so bitchy.

Here was me thinking they were all on the same team.

yea a lot of tribalism. Its like monty pyton, the society for prevention of cruelty against animals Vs the animal society for prevention against cruelty

The Revenue decides who can be a charity. They have some pretty tough rules. So what happens is many "charities" operate as a business instead.

I know that, I've been through the process with my own rescue, and though it's a pain in the butt, it's not that hard.
    Charities should not be permitted to operate as a business, and that might be a good place to start.
    There needs to be actual legislation that deals specifically with rescues. Even the ISPCA is a not a statutory body.

Again, I'm aware of what the ISPCA is and isn't. The new Animal Welfare Act confers statutory powers on the uniformed ISPCA inspectors.

In any case, there has been a lot of talk about how Sarah couldn't be fully "punished" because she was prosecuted under the old legislation. But the fact that quite a few animal hoarders and people found guilty of cruelty, even first-time offenders, have been banned from keeping animals, and have received harsher fines, because the old legislation allowed for that.
    Which begs the question being asked across a huge range of offences, even with more powerful legislation is this another example of the judiciary being far out of touch with reality? Seems to me that this problem needs to be addressed from a lot of angles, but at least now we have a national SPCA with sharper teeth.

I was saying on another thread (foal beaten to death) that you need an animal welfare statutory body to legislate the whole shebang. What we have is all these factions and we dont know whos who.

• Advertisement

I know that, I've been through the process with my own rescue, and though it's a pain in the butt, it's not that hard.
    Charities should not be permitted to operate as a business, and that might be a good place to start.

Again, I'm aware of what the ISPCA is and isn't. The new Animal Welfare Act confers statutory powers on the uniformed ISPCA inspectors.

In any case, there has been a lot of talk about how Sarah couldn't be fully "punished" because she was prosecuted under the old legislation. But the fact that quite a few animal hoarders and people found guilty of cruelty, even first-time offenders, have been banned from keeping animals, and have received harsher fines, because the old legislation allowed for that.
    Which begs the question being asked across a huge range of offences, even with more powerful legislation is this another example of the judiciary being far out of touch with reality? Seems to me that this problem needs to be addressed from a lot of angles, but at least now we have a national SPCA with sharper teeth.

animal hoarders are trying to care for the animals, its just they have so many that they cant. There is a difference between animal hoarder and breeder although those accused of breeding often jump on the hoarding bandwagon to escape prosecution.

ive only just read the story but it seems like there was underlying aggravation between the two organizations.

In fairness my parents got our dog of the gspca and they seemed very nice. never had any dealings with egar.

Roquentin wrote: »
    animal hoarders are trying to care for the animals, its just they have so many that they cant. There is a difference between animal hoarder and breeder although those accused of breeding often jump on the hoarding bandwagon to escape prosecution.

I'm not entirely sure why you posted the above in reply to my post which you quoted?! There doesn't seem to be much connection between them!
    I'm not sure why anyone would confuse a hoarder with a breeder? Do people accuse people of being breeders as if it's illegal? Unless by "breeder" you're referring to puppy farmers? Which are not illegal if properly registered under the relevant legislation!
    Why would a puppy farmer have to pretend to be a hoarder to escape prosecution? From memory, there have been as many if not more hoarders prosecuted in the past decade in Ireland as there have been puppy farmers, both groups equally punished, so it's not clear to me why a puppy farmer would want to pretend to be a hoarder?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Or be the bigger person and do things properly.

Have a nice canter on the beach, and give the two mutts a hug from me ;)

done. they told me to give you a big slob back.

I'm not entirely sure why you posted the above in reply to my post which you quoted?! There doesn't seem to be much connection between them!
    I'm not sure why anyone would confuse a hoarder with a breeder? Do people accuse people of being breeders as if it's illegal? Unless by "breeder" you're referring to puppy farmers? Which are not illegal if properly registered under the relevant legislation!
    Why would a puppy farmer have to pretend to be a hoarder to escape prosecution? From memory, there have been as many if not more hoarders prosecuted in the past decade in Ireland as there have been puppy farmers, both groups equally punished, so it's not clear to me why a puppy farmer would want to pretend to be a hoarder?

because public opinion matters. if you say that you had the animals best intentions at heart, it differs from saying that you were using them as breeding machines or just simply neglecting them because you couldnt care.

The psychology of how the public views them is different because someone who actually has the the OCD hoarding mentality, is actually trying to make the lives of the animals better. But he or she gets blinded by their own morals and ends up making the lives of the animals worse.

Now judges are human and if a highly skilled laywer pulls that OCD hoarding trick, that judge or jury may look upon the individual in a more positive light.

Im not saying the guilty party in this case had the ocd hoarding disorder. Certainly she appears to have narcissist traits. Whether she was an ocd hoarder or just using the shelter as a front to make money i dont know.

But there are good people out there who take in animals out of guilt, trying to do the right thing and end up having too many animals to properly care for.
    That is why the puppy farmer or just pure evil person will say they were hoarders, so the public will view them in a better light. The lesser of the two evils as they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

That is why the puppy farmer or just pure evil person will say they were hoarders, so the public will view them in a better light. The lesser of the two evils as they say

What puppy farmers claim to be hoarders??? When? Have you actually seen this or are you hypothesising? Puppy farms are pretty obvious because there are pregnant and nursing bitches everywhere as well as litters of puppies, the dogs are all purebred or "designer crossbreeds", a very different demographic in terms of the dogs kept. It would be pretty hard to walk into EGAR and confuse it for a breeding operation, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

ive only just read the story but it seems like there was underlying aggravation between the two organizations.

In fairness my parents got our dog of the gspca and they seemed very nice. never had any dealings with egar.

I think there was underlying aggravation between EGAR and Mulitple organisations. from what I have read and what dbb is saying egar stood out like a sore thumb in the rescue world in Ireland, due to the strange, rude, dismissive behaviour of the owner and some of her volunteers... The way they operated their fb page etc and the online campaigns that were waged in order to discredit or simply intimidate others working I rescue. It is all on google and makes some interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

dharma200 wrote: »
    I think there was underlying aggravation between EGAR and Mulitple organisations. from what I have read and what dbb is saying egar stood out like a sore thumb in the rescue world in Ireland, due to the strange, rude, dismissive behaviour of the owner and some of her volunteers... The way they operated their fb page etc and the online campaigns that were waged in order to discredit or simply intimidate others working I rescue. It is all on google and makes some interesting reading.

No, unfortunately not, and thats the point, whilst it is true what you say about the behaviour, she is/was most definitely not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

snoman wrote: »

Not questioning whether EGAR was in the wrong (she admitted guilty so she was definitely in the wrong for the offences she was charged with and possibly a lot more besides) but an American based animal welfare news blog isn't what I would call a 100% reliable source for something happening in Galway. Now if it were the Examiner.ie, I'd be without a bone to pick ;)

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not, and thats the point, whilst it is true what you say about the behaviour, she is/was most definitely not the only one.

agree. But people, and especially rescue people will often respond in kind when attacked. I have been doing the same i must admit, but i think i'm over that.The block button comes in handy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement