Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EGAR IN THE NEWS FOR CRUELTY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Evac101 wrote: »
    Not questioning whether EGAR was in the wrong (she admitted guilty so she was definitely in the wrong for the offences she was charged with and possibly a lot more besides) but an American based animal welfare news blog isn't what I would call a 100% reliable source for something happening in Galway. Now if it were the Examiner.ie, I'd be without a bone to pick ;)

My error, thought it was Examiner.ie initially, amended after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not, and thats the point, whilst it is true what you say about the behaviour, she is/was most definitely not the only one.

There are, indeed, a number of sore thumbs that stand out. EGAR is perhaps one of the most public, and one of the longest-running, pre-dating the facebook era!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is a rescue close to me, and the person I've dealt with in it stands out to me as being great. I have never heard him say a word against another rescue and I'd trust him totally. I'm sure he's not the exception. If these people were used as an example of the rescue world in this conversation, it would read totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I think we made the FB page. hubble, bubble, toil and trouble :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I think we made the FB page. hubble, bubble, toil and trouble :rolleyes:

Lol is that about here?? Not happy campers atall :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe the lack of regulation is one of the major problems in the rescue sector at the moment. I know of an individual who was taking in animals from various sources in the guise of being a 'Rescue' centre. The said individual was then selling the animals by advertising them elsewhere. As far as I know he was caught out by a former owner and the guy was stopped. Sad to say that without the individual being caught out he would have continued merrily on as strictly he was not 'breaking' any law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Lol is that about here?? Not happy campers atall :P

I'm not sure that it is.

apologies, not us, another FB group.

How on earth did we manage before Facebook?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

gozunda wrote: »
    I believe the lack of regulation is one of the major problems in the rescue sector at the moment. I know of am individual who was taking in animals from various sources in the guise of being a 'Rescue' centre. The said individual was then selling the animals by advertising them elsewhere. As far as I know he was caught out by a former owner and the guy was stopped. Sad to say that without the individual being caught out he would have continued merrily on as strictly he was not 'breaking' any law.

that is basically the point i was inferring. people will do such things and say, well i had the best interests of the animals at heart and it wasnt against the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

No, unfortunately not, and thats the point, whilst it is true what you say about the behaviour, she is/was most definitely not the only one.

I most certainly did not say she was the only one, however, as you agree, her behaviour stuck out like a sore thumb. There is huge bitchiness in the rescue world, mention raw feeding, ceser milan, not treating animals like humans , etc etc and the barrage comes, even here, however, this particular rescue the thread is about was more than often caustic, nasty , dismissive and very strange in rehoming techniques, visiting, excuses, and most of all, quite threatening and dangerous when it comes to online interaction. That in itself stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and many more.... I am sure she is not the only one, and would urge anyone who might know of other rescues with the same practises as gear to coe forward and report them.

• Advertisement

Where an individual receives a ban as part of a conviction and as a result of cruelty of animals in their care - there is a very real issue of jurisdiction in that such bans are country specific. It is all to easy for such an individual to get banned lets say in Ireland to move to the UK and vice versa. This also extends to any other EU or international destination.

In checking out individual animal 'rescue centres' it may be a good idea to check further than just the local jurisdiction. That's not to say that anyone living elsewhere whether it is an Irish person in the UK or a French person in Ireland is more likely to break the law but moving jurisdiction does provide a means to avoid such convictions by simply moving country.

dharma200 wrote: »
    I most certainly did not say she was the only one, however, as you agree, her behaviour stuck out like a sore thumb. There is huge bitchiness in the rescue world, mention raw feeding, ceser milan, not treating animals like humans , etc etc and the barrage comes, even here, however, this particular rescue the thread is about was more than often caustic, nasty , dismissive and very strange in rehoming techniques, visiting, excuses, and most of all, quite threatening and dangerous when it comes to online interaction. That in itself stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and many more.... I am sure she is not the only one, and would urge anyone who might know of other rescues with the same practises as gear to coe forward and report them.

Sorry, I wasn't looking for an argument with you, but I still don't think she stuck out like a sore thumb. I was involved when someone was threatened with physical violence by a 'rescue', and have seen many people acting like Sarah on social media and by email. I don't know if it is the distance of typing that makes people say and behave in a way that they wouldn't face to face, FB and forums like this have been brilliant in so many ways, but also so damaging in others. :(

I wonder what the average length of time is that someone can stay in rescue before becoming burnt out and/or exhausted?

Sorry, I wasn't looking for an argument with you, but I still don't think she stuck out like a sore thumb. I was involved when someone was threatened with physical violence by a 'rescue', and have seen many people acting like Sarah on social media and by email. I don't know if it is the distance of typing that makes people say and behave in a way that they wouldn't face to face, FB and forums like this have been brilliant in so many ways, but also so damaging in others. :(

I wonder what the average length of time is that someone can stay in rescue before becoming burnt out and/or exhausted?

On the net in forums you have the cloak of anonymity, thus people can be more blunt in how they respond. We all use an alias on the forums and thus some people assume this means they can speak how they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can imagine I'd get burnt out very quickly! I just couldn't do it. And while I respect those that can, I don't envy them. :(

Sorry, I wasn't looking for an argument with you, but I meant her behaviour in how she treated the dogs, I still don't think she stuck out like a sore thumb for the other stuff. I was involved when someone was threatened with physical violence by a 'rescue', and have seen many people acting like Sarah on social media and by email. I don't know if it is the distance of typing that makes people say and behave in a way that they wouldn't face to face, FB and forums like this have been brilliant in so many ways, but also so damaging in others. :(

I believe there is often an observed element of 'militancy' with regard to some groups involved in animal care and rescue. As one poster previously detailed some rescues were setting increasingly more extreme and sometime somewhat bizarre conditions to allow animal adoptions.

Standards of care are essential however it sometimes happens that personal belief can be detrimental to the care and keeping of animals to the point that some individuals involved in rescue find it nearly impossible to become separated from the animals they have taken and instead become animal hoarders with all the resultant issues and problems which this type of behaviour brings.

That Basic needs are met such as humane care, food, water are essential however some individuals appear to lose their sense of rationality and like the woman in this case end up actually harming the animals they claim they are protecting.

If anything has came of this horrid situation it is that each and every individual that sets up a rescue centre needs to meet regulatory standards for animal care. Those who support such endeavours need to appraise and be critical to whom they donate time or money. Not all rescue centres are indeed rescue centres and not all animals best interests are best served by such operations.

Hi muddy paws I didn't think you were, no worries, and I do understand what you are saying... Egar stood out to me, but perhaps that is because I am the same side of the country etc. the amount of people banned from egars page grew and grew over a period of time and so e of the comments by admin were way out there, also it seemed everyone knew she was living in appalling conditions. Anyway it's all irrelevant now... I think there might be a few operations which are less than satisfactory, and many burnt out exhausted rescuers.... I think the difference in the social media thing etc with egar was how insidious it was, multiple accounts, Mulitple personalities showing up, hundreds of hours on Facebook and blogging... I don't know any other rescue which logged up such an online active presence as egar and those involved with egar, especially in 2012/2013.... I know we all have smart phones now etc but I remember thinking wow, online again......... Anyway, obviously she is was burnt out, and definately cannot be in charge of a rescue again.. What a sad sorry affair. A big wake up call for so many, rescues included.... Such damage done and all that will suffer is animals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I manage a small team, and the more time people spend on Facebook and blogs, the less work they get done. Maybe Sarah was spending to much time talking/defending/bitching/argueing about the work instead of doing the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I manage a small team, and the more time people spend on Facebook and blogs, the less work they get done. Maybe Sarah was spending to much time talking/defending/bitching/argueing about the work instead of doing the work.

I'd second that. I had 9 horses in my care last winter. and, while I coped, I can't do it again. I have a full time job and a person needs time to do what they enjoy in order to recharge the batteries.Otherwise you run ragged.And once the grass started growing and they were turned out, I immideatly let 3 go, one will come back to me, and another one will go than.6 is the most I can cope with.I remember the first week I didn't have to feed/muck out/check feet/water etc I went to bed at 8pm at night just cause I was so bloody tired.Also, the constant calls made on a rescue, and knowing that your no means a death sentence is an extremely hard decision.You feel responsible for that death, even though you are not, but you can't help it.:-(

Just read a harrowing account of the way animals were found in her care years ago.... it is harrowing.. five independent witnesses coming forward making the statement too... any sympathy for her, and those who knew about this YEARS ago, has vanished.
    This is not just about 8 dogs that were seized.. this has re occurred, numerous times... 45 animals still unaccounted for.. statement from her saying she is withdrawing from rescue (think that happened years ago) but what happened to these animals.. If anyone where has adopted or fostered an animal for her in the past 14 years, please contact the page on social media who are try9ing to gather as much information about the dogs that are unaccounted for as possible x

Haven't read those yet, not sure i can stomach it. But if it has happened years ago also, she sure as heck needs to be stopped. :-(

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    Just read a harrowing account of the way animals were found in her care years ago.... it is harrowing.. five independent witnesses coming forward making the statement too... any sympathy for her, and those who knew about this YEARS ago, has vanished.
    This is not just about 8 dogs that were seized.. this has re occurred, numerous times... 45 animals still unaccounted for.. statement from her saying she is withdrawing from rescue (think that happened years ago) but what happened to these animals.. If anyone where has adopted or fostered an animal for her in the past 14 years, please contact the page on social media who are try9ing to gather as much information about the dogs that are unaccounted for as possible x

link please

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Please note that the above quoted material has been removed, as it is a direct quote from an author of a Facebook campaign, and thus is an unsubstantiated diatribe that the author is basing on hearsay. Whilst they can write what they want on their own Facebook page, content from that Facebook campaign must not be posted here unless what is said can be backed up by good media links.
    It is all I can do to leave the link up to that Facebook page, but I'll leave it so that people can read it if they wish, but with the above caveat.
    Thanks,
    DBB

my apologies I wasn't aware of that.

sorry dbb the way I read it was they had verified it etc but i see that is not the case eek....

also, it is another page that is looking for any details of any animals fostered or adopted... if you type in egar to social media there are two pages, the link above and another one, it is the other one who have posts asking for people to contact them with any details of adoptions historically so they can try to piece together where some of the animals ended up.. hths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Are there any signs yet of the dogs that the rescue have taken in? I haven't seen anything on their website

Millem wrote: »
    Are there any signs yet of the dogs that the rescue have taken in? 8 haven't seen anything on their website

there is a picture up. shows them back healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Roquentin wrote: »
    there is a picture up. shows them back healthy

Is it on their facebook or actual site?

Millem wrote: »
    Is it on their facebook or actual site?

facebook. Showed them all in one picture. Gave a summary of how they have recovered.

10524802_10203425946982926_25801814_n.jpg?oh=51fa3036858707df9dfc9d35edca03de&oe=53D0B3C7&__gda__=1406161553_897cd86acb82d50c3d59cab34acbc07d

• Advertisement

can someone tell me how the <snip> could turn a blind eye to what they saw in place? Seems a bit strange.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement