Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how to increase mortgage value

Options
  • 14-07-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I had an initial chat with a representative of my bank recently and I was focussed on getting some mortgage advice.

Key points to my situation are as follows:
    • Have a site in my girlfriends name
    • Have a record of 6 months + paying €1,150 in rent
    • Savings account where I save €100 a month
    • Lump sum savings of €10,000
    • No outstanding loans
    • Excellent credit history
    • Only one income, my girlfriend is not working at the minute

From this info I can get a mortgage of €100,000 to build a house on the site with my girlfriend or if I was on my own I could get €180,000 to buy a house.

The key thing being my girlfriend has no income and this seems to be detrimental to our mortgage application. Realistically we would need at least €150,000 of a mortgage and for everything we want in a house we would need €200,000.

So I'm just looking for advice on what we can do to improve the amount we can get. My girlfriend is currently in college and won't be finished for another 3 years. We would like to at least have the build in motion before this so her getting a job that would make a difference is not feasible. Is there anything else we can look into to help show we would be comfortable paying back a larger mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to provide more information such as your ages and your occupation and salary.
    I had an initial chat with a representative of my bank recently and I was focussed on getting some mortgage advice.

Key points to my situation are as follows:

• Have a site in my girlfriends name
    • Have a record of 6 months + paying €1,150 in rent
    • Savings account where I save €100 a month
    • Lump sum savings of €10,000
    • No outstanding loans
    • Excellent credit history
    • Only one income, my girlfriend is not working at the minute

From this info I can get a mortgage of €100,000 to build a house on the site with my girlfriend or if I was on my own I could get €180,000 to buy a house.

The key thing being my girlfriend has no income and this seems to be detrimental to our mortgage application. Realistically we would need at least €150,000 of a mortgage and for everything we want in a house we would need €200,000.

So I'm just looking for advice on what we can do to improve the amount we can get. My girlfriend is currently in college and won't be finished for another 3 years. We would like to at least have the build in motion before this so her getting a job that would make a difference is not feasible. Is there anything else we can look into to help show we would be comfortable paying back a larger mortgage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon keep saving hard as hard as you can. Overborrowing is a very dangerous thing.

Advertisement