Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice time for disciplinary hearing.

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Does anybody know the ideal notice period to be given to attend a disciplinary hearing? Its my understanding that under natural justice that allegations should be made in writing to an employee and s/he is given time to prepare for a hearing. Is 2 days enough for this? I was of the understanding that 5 days is the norm.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What does your company's disciplinary procedure say?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Nody wrote: »
    What does your company's disciplinary procedure say?

Not very much, just mentions the standard 4 steps of the process. Its only about half an A4 page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I know we have 48 hours called out in our procedures

I know we have 48 hours called out in our procedures

Cool. These guys say 5 working days is best practice though?

http://www.practicemanager.ie/page.php?id=32&title=Disciplinary%20Procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think whether or not 2 days is enough might depend on what the allegation is.

If it's something that could take a longer time for the employee to gather documentation etc to support their case, then it might not be reasonable. If it's more straight forward and not a lot of prep work has to be done, then maybe it would be considered reasonable.

If the employee is not happy about the amount of notice they've been given, then I'd suggest they should raise that as soon as possible, and in writing or email so it's on the record.

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    I think whether or not 2 days is enough might depend on what the allegation is.

They failed to notify what the allegations were before the meeting, which is what they are supposed to do if following the guidelines from the LRC.

Advertisement