Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I don't believe there is a correlation between the races and houses getting broken into.

There isnt a correlation houses are broken into every week not just race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

JillyQ wrote: »
    There isnt a correlation houses are broken into every week not just race week.
    And cars are keyed every week. And wing mirrors kicked off every week. And drunk lads piss against doorways every week/night. This is getting ridiculous at this stage.

I knew once I saw someone blame the Races for the apparent upsurge in stabbings and incidents of garden-shytting that this thread had descended into nonsense. Was there a single stabbing in Galway last week? Surely by some of the logic around here there must be some correlation between the lack of stabbings and the general good humour of the Race Week crowd? :rolleyes:

Positives of Race Week far, far outweigh the negatives IMO. Don't worry haters, it's a whole year away!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    And cars are keyed every week. And wing mirrors kicked off every week. And drunk lads piss against doorways every week/night. This is getting ridiculous at this stage.

I knew once I saw someone blame the Races for the apparent upsurge in stabbings and incidents of garden-shytting that this thread had descended into nonsense. Was there a single stabbing in Galway last week? Surely by some of the logic around here there must be some correlation between the lack of stabbings and the general good humour of the Race Week crowd? :rolleyes:

Positives of Race Week far, far outweigh the negatives IMO. Don't worry haters, it's a whole year away!

The positives of race week far outweigh the negatives. We seem to have people on this thread who just want to knock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

sure it happens the best of us from time to time.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Last time would have been Race Week 2011. Back in 2011, the crowds were smaller than they had been due to the downturn. A lot more people were buying beer in off-licenses and drinking at a rented flat or friends house before heading into town and afterwards. It meant a lot of parties around a lot of the housing estates by the town. The council were cleaning things up before the morning rolled around.

One of my friends, who lives in Foster court took the week off and left Galway for it this year. His flat got broken into...doesn't sound like too much has changed.

I lived 20 minutes outside of Galway city for 13 years and lived in Galway city for just over 8 years

You can't really comment on race week in Galway from America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Funny, because I think I already did. I should head over to After Hours and tell everyone they can't comment on anything in America from Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I suppose Irish people have no place commenting on global matters then or likewise foreigners have no place commenting on things pertaining to Ireland? Time to close most of the threads on boards.ie so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Funny, because I think I already did. I should head over to After Hours and tell everyone they can't comment on anything in America from Ireland :)

You are posting about race week as if you were actually here for it and you were not, the stuff you are posting is second hand from friends which is not fair , as far as I am concerned it was a great week and I did not see any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

zarquon wrote: »
    I suppose Irish people have no place commenting on global matters then or likewise foreigners have no place commenting on things pertaining to Ireland? Time to close most of the threads on boards.ie so :rolleyes:

No that's not what's meant. Someone is posting like there here in Galway about race week and the tales are second hand and all stories grow legs when told second hand.

Aerohead wrote: »
    You are posting about race week as if you were actually here for it and you were not, the stuff you are posting is second hand from friends which is not fair , as far as I am concerned it was a great week and I did not see any problems

He was posting based on previous experience which is fair game.

This year was tamer than previous years though and nowhere near as bad as it was pre-recession. The recession wasn't all bad, it did manage to humble a fairly significant obnoxious part of society somewhat. Gone are the days of the neverending copter-taxis used by people just to show off.

• Advertisement

No that's not what's meant. Someone is posting like there here in Galway about race week and the tales are second hand and all stories grow legs when told second hand.

What are ya talking about? Although you know something. Literally two weeks after I moved I posted something on my Facebook linked to an article in the then galwaynews.ie website and people got defensive about it because I was now an outsider...that could make a pretty interesting psychological study

Almost all of what I posted is based on first hand experience from my 25+ years of living in Galway...

My friend got robbed during the week. That's my second hand tail? If I wanted to blow that up or given it legs... I could have gone further and also said that it was two guys who broke in and they were carrying a knife. My friend went right out and bought a hurl for protection after it. He's been in that estate for a year without issue until now. That's second hand too, I didn't mention it because the robbery seemed like enough for me. Here's why I believe it.

My best friends dad was a vet in our village. His place was robbed during race week a few years ago. Ditto our local dentists office. The thing in common for them was that they took race week off and closed up shop. Also caravans rolled into our village the week before the races and were gone Thursday evening. They don't arrive every year but have come more years than not, it's a round robbin' of trying to put in concrete pillars to where they park the caravans.

I saw my friends dads place trashed, the till drawer gone, the window broken and a foot print on the window sill, if that helps. My dad hasn't worked in years, he's also been at home and we had certain individuals come up the drive way during race week and go into the garage. The only things in there are a lawn mower and an old dryer and Luckily he was home and we had a security camera around the front of the house, so we could get the plate of the van. We were told there were several reports of them attempting break ins around the area....nothing was done about it mind you, since the local Gardai are pulled into the city for the week! Also wasn't the Hole in the Wall robbed last year on one of it's busiest days of the year...?

As somebody who has lived in Galway for almost all of my life. Let me say, It's been obvious to me that there's a double standard to law enforcement and reporting when it comes to Race week. Drinking on the street is commonplace, drink driving is also common place. During RAG week for example, anybody with bottles of beer in Eyre Square would have them confiscated...for better or worse, that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He was posting based on previous experience which is fair game.

This year was tamer than previous years though and nowhere near as bad as it was pre-recession. The recession wasn't all bad, it did manage to humble a fairly significant obnoxious part of society somewhat. Gone are the days of the neverending copter-taxis used by people just to show off.

I live on the flight path, and for a couple of years it was like living in Vietnam with all the choppers. But if people want to waste their money on flying 5km to the races, I couldn't give a toss - it's their money and none of my business how they spend it. Your post is typical Irish begrudgery - what do you care if people are taking helicopters "just to show off"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Was there a lot less orange fake tan around too this year or was it just me? Granted I was not at Ladies Day but I was around the city most days..

Zzippy wrote: »
    I live on the flight path, and for a couple of years it was like living in Vietnam with all the choppers. But if people want to waste their money on flying 5km to the races, I couldn't give a toss - it's their money and none of my business how they spend it. Your post is typical Irish begrudgery - what do you care if people are taking helicopters "just to show off"??

AH yes, the classic strawman argument - you disagree with something i like therefore you are just an Irish Begrudger!

It's not always people's own money. I work for a company that used to waste company expenses on helicopter taxis for the executives that flew in whilst cutting back employee salaries or freezing salaries or implementing other cutbacks. I also imagine that plenty of other companies did the same not to mention public servants who wasted taxpayers money on the same frivolities.

For the record i have no problem with people wasting their own money - they earned it and have the right to spend it as they wish. It's the people that spend other peoples money for lavishness like race week helicopters that i tend to dislike

AH yes, the classic strawman argument - you disagree with something i like therefore you are just an Irish Begrudger!

It's not always people's own money. I work for a company that used to waste company expenses on helicopter taxis for the executives that flew in whilst cutting back employee salaries or freezing salaries or implementing other cutbacks. I also imagine that plenty of other companies did the same not to mention public servants who wasted taxpayers money on the same frivolities.

For the record i have no problem with people wasting their own money - they earned it and have the right to spend it as they wish. It's the people that spend other peoples money for lavishness like race week helicopters that i tend to dislike

Actually on that note. Any sign of a Fine Gael or Fianna Fail tent at this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was there a lot less orange fake tan around too this year or was it just me? Granted I was not at Ladies Day but I was around the city most days..
    I didn't have my Dulux colour card on me for Ladies Day but I think it was the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I also live on the flight path. Have to say, despite my typical Irish begrudgery, I miss the Vietnam style helicopter invasion during raceweek. Helicopter pads used to turn up everywhere..the Radisson, the swamp, the corrib great southern, the castle road pitch in oranmore, opposite the maldron etc. It brought real excitement that something massive was going on. Then heading into town through an hour and a half of traffic and rolling down quay street on broken glass, piss, puke and lost money..great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I also live on the flight path. Have to say, despite my typical Irish begrudgery, I miss the Vietnam style helicopter invasion during raceweek. Helicopter pads used to turn up everywhere..the Radisson, the swamp, the corrib great southern, the castle road pitch in oranmore, opposite the maldron etc. It brought real excitement that something massive was going on. Then heading into town through an hour and a half of traffic and rolling down quay street on broken glass, piss, puke and lost money..great times!

You should write for Waterford Whispers!

A. You need to google strawman argument and find out what it really is

B. Your first post, which I quoted, mentions nothing about companies wasting money. You just mentioned people showing off, and referenced a "fairly significant obnoxious part of society". That post came across as total begrudgery. No strawman argument needed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Haven't much time for McMahon, there's a distinctly snobbish tone with most of his utterances, and he (and his chef) have been downright rude to punters and other chefs on social media before. Seems to think he's the only proper foodie in Galway and everyone else should bow down to him.

He's been working in the restaurant trade long enough to know better - that's the risk if you take bookings, and don't hold tables if people don't show.

We booked a table in Artisan last week as we knew it would be packed out. Made sure to turn up on time as we knew they wouldn't be able to hold tables long during race week. Had a delicious meal with a nice bottle of wine, and contrary to price-gouging rumours in this thread, paid not a cent more than we would have any othe week of the year. Great food and great service. Highly recommend it...
    The charm offensive continues. (Via the Reddit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Robbo wrote: »

Classy guy.

Robbo wrote: »

Cant believe someone who is supposed to involved in the service industry would dream of speaking to customers like that.

Classy guy.

This. I was going to post exactly the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Should post that here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199604

Comes across as a really arrogant, bitter guy. One thing saying something about a customer behind their back. To say that directly to a customer on Twitter is disgraceful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

What an idiot. If he wanted to bring it to light he could have done it in a professional manner.
    Many more customers lost

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread has now galloped way off track into a food stall and crashed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement