Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

Ladies don't wear fake tan.

No mention of fake tan. Nice of you to make an assumption and then judge someone on it. Race Week is great fun. If people don't like it then they can always avoid town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Women wear fake tan, Ladies don't :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »

Is that you polly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Race week is a massive inconvenience and unpleasant experience for a lot of local people.

No it's not. It's the best week to be in Galway by a long way.

The only locals I ever hear whinging about it (and it is whinging) are people that basically don't like doing anything (some of my relations included in that) and don't like any disruption to their bubble.

Go and work race week in housekeeping, barwork, transport, emergency services or security and see how much you feel like lightening up then

I have worked in the racecourse for lydon house during the week, lots of hard work, but great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »

Bit of a stretch that but ladies day should be more appropriately named as Women's day. Not too many ladies cavorting around that day, especially in town. ;) Likewise not too many gentlemen around either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zarquon wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch that but ladies day should be more appropriately named as Women's day. Not too many ladies cavorting around that day, especially in town. ;) Likewise not too many gentlemen around either!

Its an excuse for people to get dressed up, many of the people are those that travel to various meetings around the country and do so to win the Ladies Day Best Dressed prize. In recent years too a younger element has began going which unfortunately is teenagers dressed in not very much, outside of that its an excuse for people to get dressed up and enjoy a day at the Races, i dont see where the sneering at it comes in but sure maybe thats what some people enjoy, others enjoy a bit of racing.

Its an excuse for people to get dressed up, many of the people are those that travel to various meetings around the country and do so to win the Ladies Day Best Dressed prize. In recent years too a younger element has began going which unfortunately is teenagers dressed in not very much, outside of that its an excuse for people to get dressed up and enjoy a day at the Races, i dont see where the sneering at it comes in but sure maybe thats what some people enjoy, others enjoy a bit of racing.

I think the sneering comes from the obnoxiousness that is demonstrated during this week. Whilst some attendees are fine there are those that just go OTT on the obnoxiousness stakes. Usually it is those of lesser means who are pretending to be big shots for the week and try to act accordingly. Saving up all year in order to buy a cheap suit and place €5 bets all week whilst knocking back cans does not make you a bit shot! :rolleyes:

If everyone acted in a civilized manner i don't think anyone would have an issue with race week. The racing itself is fine, it's the afters in town where things get nuts. - But then again this is Ireland where it is an acceptable social norm to get absolutely smashed and embarrass yourself publically.

"OMG, he was so locked he ended up in A&E, what a LEGEND, like totes!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Yeah! It's the poor people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's very simple folks you either love it or you hate it.
    I personally think it's a fantastic week for Galway and especially if you are not from Galway the novelty of an Entire City going fairly mental is always fun. It probably has a lot to do with your age too.

I'm personally sick of Race week though as I've been through it so many times. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to as I simply cannot deal with Hangovers at work any more lol. If you take a day or two off to enjoy it fully then it can be appreciated for what it is. A week long Street Party.

I wouldn't even bother with the Gambling aspect as the Horses that run there are rubbish. You'll be so annoyed by women beside you who backed the winner at 20/1 because her Dog has the same name , unlike you who spent 4 hours studying the form lol :D

• Advertisement

I think the sneering comes from the obnoxiousness that is demonstrated during this week. Whilst some attendees are fine there are those that just go OTT on the obnoxiousness stakes. Usually it is those of lesser means who are pretending to be big shots for the week and try to act accordingly. Saving up all year in order to buy a cheap suit and place €5 bets all week whilst knocking back cans does not make you a bit shot! :rolleyes:

If everyone acted in a civilized manner i don't think anyone would have an issue with race week. The racing itself is fine, it's the afters in town where things get nuts. - But then again this is Ireland where it is an acceptable social norm to get absolutely smashed and embarrass yourself publically.

"OMG, he was so locked he ended up in A&E, what a LEGEND, like totes!!!"
    I dont get your 'cheap suit' dig, where do you get a cheap suit, Penneys? If its that cheap why would you save up all year for it? Personally if i wore a suit to Ladies Day it wouldnt be an expensive top brand one as its likely drink,food etc will be spilled on it during the course of the day and night as a result of walking through large swathes of people.
    Theres no doubt that some people cant handle their drink, it happens at every major event, any night of the week and in every town in the country but its a minority of people, the majority of racegoers are here for a good time and are well behaved. Is there a spike in arrests etc during the week? As for your last line i personally dont know people that speak like that, maybe quit hanging out with 16 year olds :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

This thread is a classic "People Like Different Things Shocker"
    I love race week but no denying its a pain trying to commute through town in it.. Also yes as with most big events - some take it to excess - however its shame if you cant "feel the buzz" that flows through Galway race week. I love the Arts week and the Comedy Festival that Galway has but Race just has different energy that hard to replicate. Can understand if some people not a fan though!

Righty oh good sir - they shouldnt let the riff raff in the city at all - Tally Ho..
    Sorry but this whole "ha look at these people in cheap and place small bets" attitude pisses me off..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If people don't like it then they can always avoid town.

Ahh, no, some of us live there, so we cannot avoid it.

Yes, I knew when I signed up to live in the city that it would be loud.

But I didn't expect the pools of vomit, people sleeping in doorways, or sheer level of drunken brawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nearly everybody I know living in town that hate RW plan their holidays for RW to avoid that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Nearly everybody I know living in town that hate RW plan their holidays for RW to avoid that problem.

You're making it sound like July 12th :D

Ahh, no, some of us live there, so we cannot avoid it.

Yes, I knew when I signed up to live in the city that it would be loud.

But I didn't expect the pools of vomit, people sleeping in doorways, or sheer level of drunken brawling.

As Diabhal said you can always go on holiday for the week, or move to somewhere quiet. As for the vomit/sleeping in doorways/brawling, that happens outside of race week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

antoobrien wrote: »
    No it's not. It's the best week to be in Galway by a long way.

The only locals I ever hear whinging about it (and it is whinging) are people that basically don't like doing anything (some of my relations included in that) and don't like any disruption to their bubble.

I have worked in the racecourse for lydon house during the week, lots of hard work, but great fun.

For god's sake, why are people taking it personally that other people don't like race week? Is it so hard to admit that it's disruptive and has downsides?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Usually it is those of lesser means who are pretending to be big shots for the week and try to act accordingly. Saving up all year in order to buy a cheap suit and place €5 bets all week whilst knocking back cans does not make you a bit shot!

Poor people disgust me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

For god's sake, why are people taking it personally that other people don't like race week? Is it so hard to admit that it's disruptive and has downsides?

IMO you are taking it quite personally that people do actually enjoy raceweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

R0UF wrote: »
    IMO you are taking it quite personally that people do actually enjoy raceweek.

I'm really not. I've said in the thread I'm happy for people who do enjoy it, I understand that it benefits the city etc. The fact that people's response to that is to call me a whinger and a begrudger makes me inclined to think that they either can't read or are taking it personally.

• Advertisement

The cheap suit digs are amusing alright, there is a few around no doubt but most people who dress up are very well dressed from my experience. I would wear the best of my clothes and shoes to the races, especially the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday be it suits or jackets and shirts etc.

While I am a big racing fan on top of it all the getting dressed up is an enjoyable part of it for me along with with spending 4 or 5 nights in a row having the craic on the streets and pubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Probably have record attendances this year with all the Garth Brooks fans at a loose end.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Looking forward to it now, for the people watching! :pac:

antoobrien wrote: »

That's quite a jump of irrational logic to state that people who don't like race week don't like anything. Perhaps it would be fairer to say that people who don't like race week tend not to like/enjoy the things you do :rolleyes: I suppose you do not give credence to a liking for peacefulness or sobriety as being worthy of the category of "anything" because you do not share the same liking?

For the purposes of balance i think it would be a lot fairer to say that there are people who do not like "everything" i.e. we all have different preferences. There are some who like race week and all that it entails and there are others that do not enjoy it and both sides of the opinion have valid but opposing thoughts.

I also worked in hospitality once and there is also a 50/50 split there. Some love it and some hate it. If you are on the side that does not receive tips, then you are almost certain to detest it.

Nothing wrong with disliking raceweek, although some take this opinion very personally for some strange reason. Much the same as me stating that i don't care what happens with the Garth Brooks concerts. Some GB fans would be up in arms about such a statement as they feel the entire country cares greatly and i would just be an irrelevant minority for having the audacity to propose such an opinion.

That's quite a jump of irrational logic to state that people who don't like race week don't like anything. Perhaps it would be fairer to say that people who don't like race week tend not to like/enjoy the things you do :rolleyes: I suppose you do not give credence to a liking for peacefulness or sobriety as being worthy of the category of "anything" because you do not share the same liking?

For the purposes of balance i think it would be a lot fairer to say that there are people who do not like "everything" i.e. we all have different preferences. There are some who like race week and all that it entails and there are others that do not enjoy it and both sides of the opinion have valid but opposing thoughts.

I also worked in hospitality once and there is also a 50/50 split there. Some love it and some hate it. If you are on the side that does not receive tips, then you are almost certain to detest it.

Nothing wrong with disliking raceweek, although some take this opinion very personally for some strange reason. Much the same as me stating that i don't care what happens with the Garth Brooks concerts. Some GB fans would be up in arms about such a statement as they feel the entire country cares greatly and i would just be an irrelevant minority for having the audacity to propose such an opinion.

More so the condescending 'cheap suit' BS and supposed rivers of vomit and erection of boxing rings in the city centre that some people take umbrage with.

More so the condescending 'cheap suit' BS and supposed rivers of vomit and erection of boxing rings in the city centre that some people take umbrage with.

Along with the whole it's unavoidable if you live in the city centre. I live in the city centre, well Merchants road, and I can avoid it by simply not walking down quay st/cross st/highstreet etc.

Nothing wrong with cheap suits at all as long as you don't put one on and suddenly think you are immune to objections when acting the ass. It's nothing to do with "cheap" suits though, even if you're wearing an armani or copeland it does not suddenly give you inherant rights to act like an obnoxious sh1te during race week!

On the other hand, are you denying that there is an increase in public vomiting and on street fighting/pissing etc. If you genuinely deny this then you must never have partaken in race week celebrations.

If one find's a concrete obversation to be condescending then it once again shows the personal nature of atitudes to raceweek.

Seriously some people feel that a dislike for raceweek is an attack on them personally. I've no idea why!! Maybe some feel their worth and value is tied up in such social activity and attack on such an event is an attack on their worth as a person. If this is the case, then race week is the least of our problems as a society.

I enjoy things like surfing and rock climbing. If someone tells me the don't like surfing and hate rock climbing i don't feel the need to be consumed with anger and forceably try to get them to align to my opinions, i simply accept that there are many who don't enjoy the things i do.

Using some of the logic in this thread i could state that people who dislike surfing are condescending whingers who don't like anything - but that would be a strangely personal emotional and irrational response which would be ludicrous. If my entire self worth was tied up in surfing, i might be prone to such a response though. With that in my mind, i would question the values of anyone who's self worth is tied up in drinking excessively - and i say this as someone who does volunteer work with those suffering from addiction. Sadly in society some people put on a suit, nice shoes and a dress and feel themselves superior to the bum on the street they pass by when often that "bum" has many of the same issues and imo they are 2 peas in a pod sometimes. You can put lipstick on a pig but it does not create a superior pig to those covered in muck!

Say what you like, in this country people are generally allowed to have their own opinions about most things but if you express a negative opinion to Ireland's boozing culture the drinking brigade are "up in arms" about it

Nothing wrong with cheap suits at all as long as you don't put one on and suddenly think you are immune to objections when acting the ass. It's nothing to do with "cheap" suits though, even if you're wearing an armani or copeland it does not suddenly give you inherant rights to act like an obnoxious sh1te during race week!

On the other hand, are you denying that there is an increase in public vomiting and on street fighting/pissing etc. If you genuinely deny this then you must never have partaken in race week celebrations.

If one find's a concrete obversation to be condescending then it once again shows the personal nature of atitudes to raceweek.

Seriously some people feel that a dislike for raceweek is an attack on them personally. I've no idea why!! Maybe some feel their worth and value is tied up in such social activity and attack on such an event is an attack on their worth as a person. If this is the case, then race week is the least of our problems as a society.

I enjoy things like surfing and rock climbing. If someone tells me the don't like surfing and hate rock climbing i don't feel the need to be consumed with anger and forceably try to get them to align to my opinions, i simply accept that there are many who don't enjoy the things i do.

Using some of the logic in this thread i could state that people who dislike surfing are condescending whingers who don't like anything - but that would be a strangely personal emotional and irrational response which would be ludicrous.

Say what you like, in this country people are generally allowed to have their own opinions about most things but if you express a negative opinion to Ireland's boozing culture the drinking brigade are "up in arms" about it
    An increase compared to what? A Monday/Tuesday in November, of course there will be as youve got thousands of people outside as opposed to nobody. As for these mass brawls, having lived in town for the last ten years i have to say ive never seen them or any major increase in violence, have you Garda figures to back up your assertion(you must never have partaken in Race week if you cant provide said figures :rolleyes:). Vomiting and pissing is a daily/weekly occurrence in town, i wouldnt go getting me knickers in a twist over it.

An increase compared to what? A Monday/Tuesday in November, of course there will be as youve got thousands of people outside as opposed to nobody. As for these mass brawls, having lived in town for the last ten years i have to say ive never seen them or any major increase in violence, have you Garda figures to back up your assertion(you must never have partaken in Race week if you cant provide said figures :rolleyes:). Vomiting and pissing is a daily/weekly occurrence in town, i wouldnt go getting me knickers in a twist over it.

Yeahhhh, i clearly need Garda figures to prove their is in an increase in antisocial behaviour during raceweek :rolleyes: Who mentioned "mass brawls" btw. I alluded to an increase in violence during raceweek which is certainly true but never stated mass chaos. Hyperbole to support one's opinion is a weak justification at best.

BTW, just because Vomiting and pissing is a daily/weekly occurrence in town as you have rightly said, does not mean it should be socially acceptable. In some parts of the world, murder is a daily occurence and by your logic people living in those cities should not get their knickers in a twist over murder as it's a common occurence.

What is clear from this thread is that people have different value systems and different ideas about what is socially acceptable and it is hard for one side to understand the other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

An Garda turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff during Race Week that would not be tolerated at other times. This is mainly to appease economic interests in Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement