Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »
    An Garda turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff during Race Week that would not be tolerated at other times. This is mainly to appease economic interests in Galway.

Sadly this is somewhat true hence why looking for arrest figures to justify a stance that there is no real increase in antisocial behaviour is nonsense. A lot of vested interests in race week do not want negative publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zarquon wrote: »
    Yeahhhh, i clearly need Garda figures to prove their is in an increase in antisocial behaviour during raceweek :rolleyes:

BTW, just because Vomiting and pissing is a daily/weekly occurrence in town as you have rightly said, does not mean it should be socially acceptable. In some parts of the world, murder is a daily occurence and by your logic people living in those cities should not get their knickers in a twist over murder as it's a common occurence.

What is clear from this thread is that people have different value systems and different ideas about what is socially acceptable and it is hard for one side to understand the other.

I firmly understand both sides of the socially acceptable debate, but im not going to let it get it me down like it does you, living in a city you expect to see these things. There were four lads on the street opposite my apartment lastnight about 2am, two were partaking in some cocaine while two also enjoyed an on street pee. That wasnt raceweeks fault. With any large event there will be an increase in anti-social behaviour, its a given, but for the majority of racegoers/revellers thats not what they are here for. The point im making is that you seem to feel everyone that likes raceweek cant see the negatives, id argue they can but they dont allow the negatives to outweigh the positives, sure i can say all surfers are hipster, stoner wannabes and rock climbing is for loners or Tom Cruise, doesnt mean im right but its the same as your assertion on raceweek being for obnoxious, cheap suit wearing chavs giving it the bigun.

An Garda turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff during Race Week that would not be tolerated at other times. This is mainly to appease economic interests in Galway.

Much like they do for the rest of the year id argue, outside drinking is illegal in Galway sure.:eek:

I firmly understand both sides of the socially acceptable debate, but im not going to let it get it me down like it does you, living in a city you expect to see these things. There were four lads on the street opposite my apartment lastnight about 2am, two were partaking in some cocaine while two also enjoyed an on street pee. That wasnt raceweeks fault. With any large event there will be an increase in anti-social behaviour, its a given, but for the majority of racegoers/revellers thats not what they are here for. The point im making is that you seem to feel everyone that likes raceweek cant see the negatives, id argue they can but they dont allow the negatives to outweigh the positives, sure i can say all surfers are hipster, stoner wannabes and rock climbing is for loners or Tom Cruise, doesnt mean im right but its the same as your assertion on raceweek being for obnoxious, cheap suit wearing chavs giving it the bigun.

But a key point is that there are plenty of hipster and stone surfers around the world, i would never deny that or get offended at the suggestion as i see it all the time. Likewise i should not get offended if someone points out that there are plenty suit wearing chavs during raceweek. These are all just facts.

You observed people doing cocaine in the street but if i posted that people randomly do cocaine in the street others would furiously object to me as stating hysterical nonsense. One man's opinion is another man's fact and some just can't deal with that.

zarquon wrote: »
    But a key point is that there are plenty of hipster and stone surfers around the world, i would never deny that or get offended at the suggestion as i see it all the time. Likewise i should not get offended if someone points out that there are plenty suit wearing chavs during raceweek. These are all just facts.

You observed people doing cocaine in the street but if i posted that people randomly do cocaine in the street others would furiously object to me as stating hysterical nonsense. One man's opinion is another man's fact and some just can't deal with that.

Ya but you didnt see it so i can understand why :D.

Look im not gonna keep the circle going, i understand and agree with many of the points on why raceweek isnt for you, i dont like an element of what comes into town during raceweek but its just a small element and it doesnt detract from my enjoyment if i go out. A Garda presence and enforcement of public order would be welcomed in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have personally experienced a shocking wave of crimes committed around the time of the races and not being publicized. I questions our local news stations who could have easily provided warnings to others but failed to do so. They just said they were not alerted by the Gardai....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have personally experienced a shocking wave of crimes committed around the time of the races and not being publicized. I questions our local news stations who could have easily provided warnings to others but failed to do so. They just said they were not alerted by the Gardai....
    This.

Before anyone thinks any different, I actually enjoy Race Week. I like heading out to the races (in a "cheap suit", why that is shameful I have no idea. People seem to like to sneer at others or something) and heading to town afterwards. What I don't like is the fact that there are massive social problems around Race Week, most specifically the crazy sh1t people do and then get away with. For a city that has massive problems with Rag Week (which is nowhere near as bad as Race Week in terms of violence and crime) and has it always publicised in the papers and on the radio how terrible it is, a blind eye is turned to Race Week.

The irony is that it's one week a year, same as RAG week. However, people leave after the week, students are here everywhere for 8 months. Without students Galway would be a lot worse off than it is. But it's perfectly fine to attack the students for their week of fun rather than attack the whole group of Race Week goers, even though what they do is FAR worse than what students do during Rag Week.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    This.

Before anyone thinks any different, I actually enjoy Race Week. I like heading out to the races (in a "cheap suit", why that is shameful I have no idea. People seem to like to sneer at others or something) and heading to town afterwards. What I don't like is the fact that there are massive social problems around Race Week, most specifically the crazy sh1t people do and then get away with. For a city that has massive problems with Rag Week (which is nowhere near as bad as Race Week in terms of violence and crime) and has it always publicised in the papers and on the radio how terrible it is, a blind eye is turned to Race Week.

The irony is that it's one week a year, same as RAG week. However, people leave after the week, students are here everywhere for 8 months. Without students Galway would be a lot worse off than it is. But it's perfectly fine to attack the students for their week of fun rather than attack the whole group of Race Week goers, even though what they do is FAR worse than what students do during Rag Week.

I said it on an earlier post...I'm cynical. The idea that things would be a lot worse without the students is kind of a catch 22 situation. The University gets serious investment, I find it shocking that throughout the economic downturn, the University has been expanding. New Engineering building, New Gym, Extended Library and I believe there's another new building going on there right now. Also, consider that the cost for each student is usually not paid completely by the student, some get a grant which effectively takes that money from the tax payers to pay the Universities. Also There's tuition and non-tuition. The differential of which is also subsidized to the University.

The University brings in lecturers from other countries for semesters here and there. The expenses of senior academics and the president have been pretty high. Family of the faculty get a free ride education.

Who benefits from the students? Landlords, Publicans and to a lesser extent shop owners. Publicans have apparently been hurting, even with the students due to an increase in them getting drunk before going to the club. They've had to resort to drink specials. The Bentley closed down, I believe. The owners obviously couldn't turn a decent enough profit to pay the lease. Other pubs have shutdown and re-opened or been sold off.

Landlords do benefit, by far the most, in my opinion! Unfortunately that hurts pretty much everybody else in Galway. Rent in the city has hardly dropped in the last few years. Demand is higher than the supply due to increasing numbers of students who resort to college instead of emigrating or working a 'lowly' position (that last one is my own cynicism, I know)

Then on top of all of that. The University is Galways largest employer, that is not a good thing at all! The money to pay their wages is coming out of taxes. They pay their taxes but that doesn't cover their own wage, obviously. So it puts more burden on private sources for taxation. It's trickle down...also factor in increased demands on local publicly funded services due to the students, those are also obviously paid for by those working in private companies as again, they can't cover their own pay with how much they pay in tax, obviously.

That fact, the reliance on the University and IT for employment, Along with the reliance on the IT Industry (not as bad, since they are private) is something which worries me greatly. Unfortunately, IT has shown it is a very fickle industry, companies invest in Tech in spurts. Automation is progressing rapidly, the number of actual jobs will decline...that private source for funding the public workers will get smaller and smaller.

But, that's just how I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I said it on an earlier post...I'm cynical. The idea that things would be a lot worse without the students is kind of a catch 22 situation. The University gets serious investment, I find it shocking that throughout the economic downturn, the University has been expanding. New Engineering building, New Gym, Extended Library and I believe there's another new building going on there right now. Also, consider that the cost for each student is usually not paid completely by the student, some get a grant which effectively takes that money from the tax payers to pay the Universities. Also There's tuition and non-tuition. The differential of which is also subsidized to the University.

The University brings in lecturers from other countries for semesters here and there. The expenses of senior academics and the president have been pretty high. Family of the faculty get a free ride education.

Who benefits from the students? Landlords, Publicans and to a lesser extent shop owners. Publicans have apparently been hurting, even with the students due to an increase in them getting drunk before going to the club. They've had to resort to drink specials. The Bentley closed down, I believe. The owners obviously couldn't turn a decent enough profit to pay the lease. Other pubs have shutdown and re-opened or been sold off.

Landlords do benefit, by far the most, in my opinion! Unfortunately that hurts pretty much everybody else in Galway. Rent in the city has hardly dropped in the last few years. Demand is higher than the supply due to increasing numbers of students who resort to college instead of emigrating or working a 'lowly' position (that last one is my own cynicism, I know)

Then on top of all of that. The University is Galways largest employer, that is not a good thing at all! The money to pay their wages is coming out of taxes. They pay their taxes but that doesn't cover their own wage, obviously. So it puts more burden on private sources for taxation. It's trickle down...also factor in increased demands on local publicly funded services due to the students, those are also obviously paid for by those working in private companies as again, they can't cover their own pay with how much they pay in tax, obviously.

That fact, the reliance on the University and IT for employment, Along with the reliance on the IT Industry (not as bad, since they are private) is something which worries me greatly. Unfortunately, IT has shown it is a very fickle industry, companies invest in Tech in spurts. Automation is progressing rapidly, the number of actual jobs will decline...that private source for funding the public workers will get smaller and smaller.

But, that's just how I see it.

This is getting seriously off topic, but without the third-level education system we would have a country of uneducated, unskilled, low paid people, with zero prospects as foreign direct investment would not be here without people educated and skilled to a high level. If you begrudge paying tax to fund education that's your problem, and a very simplistic and misinformed view, but there is a much, much bigger picture, and thankfully your view is not the majority.

Zzippy wrote: »
    This is getting seriously off topic, but without the third-level education system we would have a country of uneducated, unskilled, low paid people, with zero prospects as foreign direct investment would not be here without people educated and skilled to a high level. If you begrudge paying tax to fund education that's your problem, and a very simplistic and misinformed view, but there is a much, much bigger picture, and thankfully your view is not the majority.

I'm actually living in a state in the US where there is no free education. The local economy is doing great and the downturn was a blip on the radar here. I have worked in a highly skilled position with people who did not go to college. They were some of the sharpest people I've worked with. They had drive and a good work ethic and learned from the vast amount of experience they got by working so hard. There's too much importance placed on third level education in Ireland and likely due to who we elect. When I was in secondary school, many would drop out in Junior Cert to ply a trade...5 years later, the minimum was at least a Leaving Cert and as more and more people do masters and PhD's...the level of expectancy increases...meanwhile the skill level will remain the same for the simple fact, the Irish third level system is a joke.

Also, at this point we are paying to educate people who will leave the country and never return on their investment. Which is fine, it gives them a chance abroad. Unfortunately, since the system is so poor in Ireland. We're exporting people who have to be completely re-trained and it makes the Irish workers less desirable. Not sure where you get misinformed from but that seems like a pretty easy way to dismiss what I've written without actually backing up what you said.. Foreign investment..Did Dell go to Poland because they had a superior highly skilled work force? Get real, the ONLY reason Ireland gets foreign investment is down to the tax system. We're not that special, we're not some super intelligent country, even if we tell ourselves we are in every job announcement and every RA RA posted by the Universities. Or citing studies about level of education because after all, it doesn't account for the fact our Universities lag behind countries who did not get an unprecedented economic boom such as ours and are considered third world

But yes, you are right. This is getting off topic so I can leave it there

• Advertisement

I'm actually living in a state in the US where there is no free education. The local economy is doing great and the downturn was a blip on the radar here. I have worked in a highly skilled position with people who did not go to college. They were some of the sharpest people I've worked with. They had drive and a good work ethic and learned from the vast amount of experience they got by working so hard. There's too much importance placed on third level education in Ireland and likely due to who we elect. When I was in secondary school, many would drop out in Junior Cert to ply a trade...5 years later, the minimum was at least a Leaving Cert and as more and more people do masters and PhD's...the level of expectancy increases...meanwhile the skill level will remain the same for the simple fact, the Irish third level system is a joke.

Also, at this point we are paying to educate people who will leave the country and never return on their investment. Which is fine, it gives them a chance abroad. Unfortunately, since the system is so poor in Ireland. We're exporting people who have to be completely re-trained and it makes the Irish workers less desirable. Not sure where you get misinformed from but that seems like a pretty easy way to dismiss what I've written without actually backing up what you said.. Foreign investment..Did Dell go to Poland because they had a superior highly skilled work force? Get real, the ONLY reason Ireland gets foreign investment is down to the tax system. We're not that special, we're not some super intelligent country, even if we tell ourselves we are in every job announcement and every RA RA posted by the Universities. Or citing studies about level of education because after all, it doesn't account for the fact our Universities lag behind countries who did not get an unprecedented economic boom such as ours and are considered third world

But yes, you are right. This is getting off topic so I can leave it there

You appear to have a massive chip on your shoulder in regards to third level education. Third level education is vital and it's a very good thing people are going on to master and PhD level despite what you think. On top of that we have an excellent third level system here hence one of the reasons we attract so much foreign investment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Folks, you've gone way way off topic. Third level education is a discussion for another time in another place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Folks, you've gone way way off topic. Third level education is a discussion for another time in another place.

Yes, roll on the races. Just over a week to go now :)

A week tomorrow and it all beings for another year :D. Getting more excited by the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thinking of going to the races with the girlfriend who's from Brazil. I've haven't been in about 6 years. Last time I was there it was with one of the lads and we stayed in a hostel. We went specifically for a p1ss up. This time, I'll be looking for something way more relaxed. The girlfriend has never been before.

So what can I expect for the Saturday and Sunday of the August bank holiday? Looking for a nice hotel with a reasonable price, preferably with a nice pool and spa. Maybe look to go to the races on the Saturday and then do something nice and quiet outside the city center on the Sunday - does anybody have any recommendations? Do most people wear suits to the races on the Saturday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

^^
    Eh, go somewhere else is the obvious answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm surprised that no-one has penned a song about the Races and the interesting antics it attracts,
    lines might include 'traversing the rivers of puke', 'hookers hoisting their colourful sails', 'cemented in a traffic backlog'..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

^^

Are the galway races on somewhere else? Why bother telling someone to go somewhere else? pathetic. Maybe you should leave town for the week pet and you can avoid all the antics that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are the galway races on somewhere else? Why bother telling someone to go somewhere else? pathetic. Maybe you should leave town for the week pet and you can avoid all the antics that comes with it.

Ahh, the lad he was responding to is looking for a reasonably priced hotel for that weekend. Don't think he'll be in luck, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Ahh, the lad he was responding to is looking for a reasonably priced hotel for that weekend. Don't think he'll be in luck, myself.

He wont the Galway Races combined with the August Weekend means expensive hotel prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you want reasonable prices, start ringing the hotels now for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Thinking of going to the races with the girlfriend who's from Brazil. I've haven't been in about 6 years. Last time I was there it was with one of the lads and we stayed in a hostel. We went specifically for a p1ss up. This time, I'll be looking for something way more relaxed. The girlfriend has never been before.

So what can I expect for the Saturday and Sunday of the August bank holiday? Looking for a nice hotel with a reasonable price, preferably with a nice pool and spa. Maybe look to go to the races on the Saturday and then do something nice and quiet outside the city center on the Sunday - does anybody have any recommendations? Do most people wear suits to the races on the Saturday?
    ^^

I know hotels have greatly upped their prices for the week. I should have said I was looking for a reasonably priced and decent value one compared to the others for the weekend. Somewhere around €350 per room for 2 nights is fine.

So do you reckon Galway is a no-go for a couple aged late 20's? Is it too messy and too busy to enjoy yourself? Only looking to go for the races for the Saturday then drive somewhere quiet and relaxing out of town for the Sunday. I'll probably go out in the city center for both nights but looking to soak some of the atmosphere in without having people bumping into me all night spilling my drink.

Are the galway races on somewhere else? Why bother telling someone to go somewhere else? pathetic.

Was it pathetic to advise others on this thread to leave town during the week if they lived in the city and didn't like the shenanigans of race week on their doorstep? Why is it pathetic when someone else advises to visit elsewhere and yet it is perfectly okay for you and others to tell some locals to leave during race week?
    As Diabhal said you can always go on holiday for the week, or move to somewhere quiet. As for the vomit/sleeping in doorways/brawling, that happens outside of race week too.

BTW, the suggestion came from the fact that someone is looking for a nice "reasonably priced" hotel on the weekend of race week. There is more chance of winning the lotto than there is of finding a reasonably priced room in a nice hotel during raceweek weekend which happens to be a bank holiday weekend too! If you want nice accomodation that week, you will need to pay the race week hotel tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

He could have just said that. We all know it probably wont be possible to find what he's looking for that weekend, his reply came across as just plain rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

The countdown has truly begun now, very exciting times for the people who embrace the best week of the year in Galway.

Ah Race week, where the price in pretty much every restaurant in town goes up, where you can watch middle aged men and women pissing and vomiting in Shop Street at 3 in the afternoon and where it's not uncommon to see grown men fighting and crying in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah Race week, where the price in pretty much every restaurant in town goes up, where you can watch middle aged men and women pissing and vomiting in Shop Street at 3 in the afternoon and where it's not uncommon to see grown men fighting and crying in the street.

Can't wait

Careful now, you might antagonise the race goers on this thread who think that the aforemention issues are great "craic". Personally i think the arts festival is a much better time in galway. Each to their own though. Some people don't know how to have a good time without getting p1ssed, which is certainly not required during the arts festival with all the diverse events on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

GiftofGab wrote: »

If you want reasonably priced and relaxed then don't come to Galway for race week. If you want drunken morons in suits getting hammered, starting fights and puking all over the place then by all means come on down!

I never really understodd why so many people come here for it. It is without a doubt the worst week of the year for going out in Galway. Everywhere is absolutely packed, it takes half an hour to get a pint, there are assholes everywhere and to top it all off you're getting completely ripped off by every bar, restuarant and hotel in the place because they all up their prices, but sure its great craic :rolleyes:

I'm no drysh!te by any stretch of the imagination, I enjoy getting bolloxed drunk as much as the next guy but seriously, if people want a good night out in Galway don't come down for race week, come any other week. Come for the Volvo Ocean Race or the Arts Festival or any of the other multitude of festivals and events that happen during the summer. That said, I am glad that all these eejits waste so money here during the week, does wonders for the services industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Or anyone could come to Galway, have a bet or a drink if they want and enjoy the atmosphere which in my experience is usually good natured.

The same little bickering arguments are on here every year but I know I along with hundred of thousands of other will enjoy the week and the boards.ie scaremongering can rest until 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement