Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Sorry, what the fcuk are you on? You've clearly never been to anything in the history of anything if you think there is nothing like Race Week. As someone who has been at both Race Week and the Olympics I can far and away say the 4 days I spent in London for the Olympics was the single greatest experience of my life and has actually got me saving for Rio. Another mate of mine (who is actually from Galway-I've only lived here for a few years) was at the Olympics with me and the World Cup in Brazil and while he ranks the 4 days of the Olympics as the greatest days of his life, he ranks the two weeks at the World Cup a very close second.

If you think the Galway Races is the best thing ever you are very sadly mistaken. It's very sad you can even say that and not be called on it! As a racing fan I enjoy going to the races, however I prefer the Derby in the Curragh. Way better atmosphere at the course and nowhere near as many problems in the local town (Newbridge). Sure, people go drinking there and you do get idiots, but nowhere near as many as you get in Galway during Race Week. It's actually very sad that people think Galway Race Week is the greatest event in Ireland when it's not even close.

Also, it's way more than a "bit of puke and piss". People think it's perfectly ok to sh1t on people's lawns, start fights, stab people, wreck property and cause general mayhem in the city. You're either a person involved with the races or an idiot if you believe that the Galway Races are a. The best event in Ireland every year and/or b. only causes a bit of piss and puke in the town.

Your post comes across as very pompous...even though I dislike the races too. Not everybody is going to get to go to the Olympics or the World Cup in person. Not everybody will even get to go to the Curragh. Also, even if they did, it's completely subjective....

All I'll say is, it would be great if the people saying the races are class, would stop also saying you're just dry, bitter etc. and never actually stating that the comments about the behavior and ****e that goes on is absolutely true...

Also to snubbleste. Cllr Conneely is probably looking down at two lads working in a hole somewhere as we type this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you don't want to go Races there's always the fantastic scenery of Connemara. There'll be little to no traffic once you pass Salthill and you can pick between great spots like Clifden, Roundstone, Spiddal, Twelve Pins, An Cheathrú Rua........to an endless list. You'd be surprised how few people living in Galway actually venture out west.

I agree with the above post. Just stay out of town and you'll be fine. Salthill will be busy but tolerable. Padraicins in Furbo is always nice if you need a meal. It's only a week and good for Galway. Nay sayers can suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are some lovely scenic spots in Kerry.

The Giant's Causeway is amazing.

Waterford has Tramore (aka Bundoran of the south).

Cork has an opera house and lots of high-art stuff.

The Aran islands .. the big one is peaceful each evening once the day's tourist crop has departed (and the crowds may be less this week, I'm not sure).

Lots of places we can go!

(Personally I'm stuck at work, so will just be dodging it by sticking to the side streets, and not going out next week. Am so used to the noise now that I can sleep thru anything.)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Not sure if I should have put this in its own thread or somewhere else, so mods, please move if necessary.

I'm going to be working at the Races this year and I'll be coming from Knocknacarra. I need to be at the racecourse around 1-2 hours before the first race each day so I'm wondering roughly how long it'll take for me to drive with traffic? I've never been so much as near the vicinity during previous race weeks so I've only heard the stories :eek:

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cocolola wrote: »
    Not sure if I should have put this in its own thread or somewhere else, so mods, please move if necessary.
    I'm going to be working at the Races this year and I'll be coming from Knocknacarra. I need to be at the racecourse around 1-2 hours before the first race each day so I'm wondering roughly how long it'll take for me to drive with traffic? I've never been so much as near the vicinity during previous race weeks so I've only heard the stories :eek:
    Thanks

Top tip:
    bike_cartoon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

zarquon wrote: »
    Fair stretch to say that people are easily shocked if they are put out by the human sex trafficking that feeds events such as this

A good story here from a former victim of these type of brothels:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-woman-trafficked-into-the-sex-trade-in-ireland-tells-her-story-29760573.html

Sadly a surplus amount of sex trafficking victims located around Ireland are shifted into Galway for race week as there is lots of demand :(

That's harrowing. :( That woman has amazing strength of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Tarzana wrote: »
    That's harrowing. :( That woman has amazing strength of character.

Sadly there will be many more like her shuttled into Galway for the duration of the races. It's the seedier side of the week that many like to duck their head in the sand and pretend does not exist, either that or some people simply do not care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There are some lovely scenic spots in Kerry.

The Giant's Causeway is amazing.

Waterford has Tramore (aka Bundoran of the south).

Cork has an opera house and lots of high-art stuff.

Nah they're all ****e. Keep it in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Cocolola wrote: »

Thanks

Lydonhouse should be running a bus for the catering staff a couple of hours before the races. One of the pick up spots is in Knocknacarra. See if you can arrange to hitch a lift on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Love Kerry and the Giants Causeway. The downside of the county of Galway for the week is the drink drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

There speaks an obviously well travelled person:rolleyes:.

Or a stick in the mud who never goes anywhere.

Aye because that was a serious comment.

Stick in the mud that was in lovely Tullamore today^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Sorry, what the fcuk are you on? You've clearly never been to anything in the history of anything if you think there is nothing like Race Week. As someone who has been at both Race Week and the Olympics I can far and away say the 4 days I spent in London for the Olympics was the single greatest experience of my life and has actually got me saving for Rio. Another mate of mine (who is actually from Galway-I've only lived here for a few years) was at the Olympics with me and the World Cup in Brazil and while he ranks the 4 days of the Olympics as the greatest days of his life, he ranks the two weeks at the World Cup a very close second.

If you think the Galway Races is the best thing ever you are very sadly mistaken. It's very sad you can even say that and not be called on it! As a racing fan I enjoy going to the races, however I prefer the Derby in the Curragh. Way better atmosphere at the course and nowhere near as many problems in the local town (Newbridge). Sure, people go drinking there and you do get idiots, but nowhere near as many as you get in Galway during Race Week. It's actually very sad that people think Galway Race Week is the greatest event in Ireland when it's not even close.

Also, it's way more than a "bit of puke and piss". People think it's perfectly ok to sh1t on people's lawns, start fights, stab people, wreck property and cause general mayhem in the city. You're either a person involved with the races or an idiot if you believe that the Galway Races are a. The best event in Ireland every year and/or b. only causes a bit of piss and puke in the town.
    I laughed hard at this. What an extraordinary overreaction. I've never heard of Race Week being synonymous with an upsurge in knife crime in the city. Have you any evidence of this? Have you evidence of people taking dumps in people's gardens? I've never seen any more fighting during Race Week than on a typical Friday or Saturday night during the year. If you don't like the mayhem, stay away. Last thing this town needs is a minority of critics ruining the craic for the majority.

A nonsense post from start to finish.

The Galway races is a unique event that you will not get anywhere else in the world. No other city turns into a party town like Galway during the races, no other place cordons off most of the city centre and allowed people to drink and have the craic on the streets etc etc.

People come from abroad and are amazed at how good race week in Galway is. It's your loss you can't see how good it is and you are totally exaggerating the bad bits of race week like most of the anti-races brigade. Mayhem in the city :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just over 24h and we are away :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Cant wait for it to start tomorrow, there will be plenty of drinking and gambling for me this week.
    Some people just seem to be right old misery guts complaining about race week, maybe if they took a chill pill followed by a couple of pints that might sort them out but i highly doubt it.

Lost many a friend to overdosing on chill pills. Stick to eccies.

Few lovely pints had in the local tonight to get warmed up for the week!

Won't be long now..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

First time in Galway on race week and living in the city centre. Been kind of dreading it but seeing how nuts my new flatmate went there yesterday morning from the seagulls outside, I'm looking forward to watching him gradually go insane as the week progresses.

One question, what's the deal regarding bins and stuff, is it safe enough to leave a bag out on the street or should I just let them build up at the back for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

First time in Galway on race week and living in the city centre. Been kind of dreading it but seeing how nuts my new flatmate went there yesterday morning from the seagulls outside, I'm looking forward to watching him gradually go insane as the week progresses.

One question, what's the deal regarding bins and stuff, is it safe enough to leave a bag out on the street or should I just let them build up at the back for the week?

Leave them out early in the morning that they are to be picked. City bin always asks you to have them out around 6am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have Council administrative staff gone on holiday or something?

Also the Council have created a short concrete footpath, put in place barriers & traffic cones on the N6 entrance. Wonder why?

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Have Council administrative staff gone on holiday or something?

Also the Council have created a short concrete footpath, put in place barriers & traffic cones on the N6 entrance. Wonder why?

I believe that some of them take leave in Race Week - not sure what proportion.

And I would guess that the N6 entrance work is part of the traffic management plan.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Leave them out early in the morning that they are to be picked. City bin always asks you to have them out around 6am
    Cheers! Also, they collect every morning except Sunday, right? Their own website doesn't seem to give a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cheers! Also, they collect every morning except Sunday, right? Their own website doesn't seem to give a schedule.

yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not in town tonight, any posters there to report? Has the apocalypse started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Nothing too crazy at tea time, but there was a noticeable increase in people 'dressed up', walking into other people and not apologising...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Just a week to go and the Alcoholics convention will be over :pac:

There's one hell of a lot of noise coming from a distance here, if I wasn't super tired I'd walk down to investigate.

...will leave it till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Im a stones throw from Cross/High St, sounds like a quiet Saturday night. Quieter due to a lack of taxis beeping too.

I'm in woodquay and I hear something like crowd noises in FIFA, but it's miles off.

• Advertisement

Probably the usual braying crowd outside Sueprmacs (I'm guessing wasn't there) :)

Was a bit of an upsurge in noise once the crown came into town, but it died off relatively quickly. Pubs were supposed to be open until 2am, but some closed early due to lack of customers. Guards were bored .. they had time to spend telling off a lone tin-whistle playing busker All according to a reliable eye-witness who went out for a midnight walk. There were a surprising number of people going home loudly after 6am, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement