Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Probably the usual braying crowd outside Sueprmacs (I'm guessing wasn't there) :)

Was a bit of an upsurge in noise once the crown came into town, but it died off relatively quickly. Pubs were supposed to be open until 2pm, but some closed early due to lack of customers. Guards were bored .. they had time to spend telling off a lone tin-whistle playing busker All according to a reliable eye-witness who went out for a midnight walk. There were a surprising number of people going home loudly after 6am, though.

Surely it wasn't that quiet the pubs closed at 2 in the day. biggrin.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mobile stand alone cameras are about to monitor traffic - there is one on Bóthar na dTreabh. It is a small trailer sized box with a tall pole sticking out with a swivel camera atop.
    Hopefully it is also catching all the speeding going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mobile stand alone cameras are about to monitor traffic - there is one on Bóthar na dTreabh. It is a small trailer sized box with a tall pole sticking out with a swivel camera atop.

I'm guessing you consider 50km/h a realistic speed limit on that 4-lane road with no houses along it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Faaack is that what that is?? I flew past it at about 80kph earlier!

The road with the worlds most ridiculous speed limit is it. It's probably the safest road in the country.

Speeding my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

It can't be a speed camera as there is no camera sign for it, there has to be a speed camera sign if it is that, I guess it's monitoring the race traffic and as already stated the speed limit on that road is just plain stupid given how good the road is and the small side roads are 80kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Was in around the centre of town from about 7.30 until 11 this eve.
    A good few buskers around and a good mix of tourists and Irish enjoying the buzz on the street.
    It got a bit busier after the races at around 9. Good humoured crowd, not much loud drunken roaring that early.
    The man with the reverse steering bike had a good crowd and plenty of customers.
    Pish and puke report: Just saw one young man puke the contents along Shop St and carried on walking with his friends without pausing for breath. Bad pint!
    A few tourists had on their “What did I just see” faces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Doesn't seem to be any helicopters or Hoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Gardai closed a few places early last night that hadn't applied for an extra late license. There are exemptions for race week but usually the Monday and Tuesday are not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My hat arrived! YAY :)

I'm going tomorrow. Not sure if good idea/bad idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Acidflash wrote: »
    Gardai closed a few places early last night that hadn't applied for an extra late license. There are exemptions for race week but usually the Monday and Tuesday are not covered.

Rumour around the place is that VFI gave mixed messages about what days they'd applied for, ie told some people that Monday was definitely covered.

Larianne wrote: »
    My hat arrived! YAY :)

I'm going tomorrow. Not sure if good idea/bad idea...

It's a great idea.

Has been great up there the last two evenings, great atmosphere and a big crowd Monday for a Monday and a nice crowd yesterday too. Things will be hotting up more now this evening with the Plate and tomorrow could be a bumper Thursday, I'm expecting it too be bigger than the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Rumour around the place is that VFI gave mixed messages about what days they'd applied for, ie told some people that Monday was definitely covered.

Never heard of the VFI applying on behalf of pubs to be honest, at least they didn't when i worked in the service industry, although that's a while ago so maybe things are different. Silly telling people they can stay open if they can't, publicans could have been chancing their arms too, wouldn't be the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Landing down at 9ish tonite, any suggestions for where to park/where'll have spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

cson wrote: »
    Landing down at 9ish tonite, any suggestions for where to park/where'll have spaces?

Parking will be at a premium in town i.e. little or none at least for on street parking. Try Debenhams, dyke road or cathedral. Unfortunately you are hitting town not long after the race crowd converge on the city centre so you will be stuck for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. They sent us the list of general exemptions a couple of months ago but realised yesterday they had forgotten to apply for the Monday and Tuesday extensions. Bit of a 'Brooksgate' screw up.
    The guards turned a blind eye on Monday as they knew nobody realised but came around to all the pubs yesterday to let us know.
    The problem was for the usual late bars (Dail, Front Door etc.) as they hadn't bought an extension as they thought they were covered so they had to close early as well. Also the regular pubs had staff and music organised.
    I reckon there are a few red faces in VFI Towers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Yeah. They sent us the list of general exemptions a couple of months ago but realised yesterday they had forgotten to apply for the Monday and Tuesday extensions. Bit of a 'Brooksgate' screw up.
    The guards turned a blind eye on Monday as they knew nobody realised but came around to all the pubs yesterday to let us know.
    The problem was for the usual late bars (Dail, Front Door etc.) as they hadn't bought an extension as they thought they were covered so they had to close early as well. Also the regular pubs had staff and music organised.
    I reckon there are a few red faces in VFI Towers today.

Some pubs didn't need to apply for the extensions as the don't use them for the Arts Festival, which took the original Monday and Tuesday extensions for race week years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I had an enjoyable day out at the racecourse today. Thousands of people out enjoying the day’s races. I was in around town from 10 to 11 pm. The streets around the bigger pubs were well crowded but not wedged. You could pass through fairly easily at that time. High St and Quay St becomes a kind of open air bar. The crowd were a little bit on the drunker side of boisterous
    but nothing out of the ordinary for a Race Night in Galway. Not enough buskers out and Gino’s ice cream shop closed early .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had an enjoyable day out at the racecourse today. Thousands of people out enjoying the day’s races. I was in around town from 10 to 11 pm. The streets around the bigger pubs were well crowded but not wedged. You could pass through fairly easily at that time. High St and Quay St becomes a kind of open air bar. The crowd were a little bit on the drunker side of boisterous
    but nothing out of the ordinary for a Race Night in Galway. Not enough buskers out and Gino’s ice cream shop closed early .

Sounds like pre-boom era Race week. Crowds but not mobbed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Too many buskers then out by day... It's a bit too much !
    Ah well happy race week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    People think it's perfectly ok to sh1t on people's lawns

I love this week I'm waiting for it all year.
    I'm just off into town to have a big ****e on someone's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

I dont think I'm a lone Galway resident who feels a bit uneasy at the thought of Race Week.

I saw some things last year I hope I never have to see again in my life. Meanwhile trying to have a normal life during traffic gridlock is a nightmare.

whats the best time to try avoid the gridlock...very early I suppose or is it like that regardless??

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sounds like pre-boom era Race week. Crowds but not mobbed

hope your right or wont be much fun..will be busier during long wend tho. I hope tomor wont be nuts!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The view from the office in Ballybrit this afternoon was a field of business park landscaping with 10+ suited lads pissing and 3-4 girls in dresses having a piss in the bushes. Classy crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

J o e wrote: »
    The view from the office in Ballybrit this afternoon was a field of business park landscaping with 10+ suited lads pissing and 3-4 girls in dresses having a piss in the bushes. Classy crowd...

Serious misnomer calling it Ladies Days. Not too many ladies around today but lots of women ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No poos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

zarquon wrote: »
    Serious misnomer calling it Ladies Days. Not too many ladies around today but lots of women ;)

No ladies or gents it seems! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I'll be glad to see the end of sunday (because i've been working up in the race course). Suprised how busy Monday and Tuesday were! Hoping it'll die down for the last few days. Today was ridiculous. And took me 1 hr to get home (usually takes 10-15 minutes most in traffic).

Still have yet to see the rivers of sick and piss ( bar the mens jacks). Seen loads of women unable to walk in their shoes though

Honestly who gives a fu*k. Fair play to them!

Drink drink and more drink, the skeff if hoppin, nearly time to hit the streets!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Honestly who gives a fu*k. Fair play to them!

Drink drink and more drink, the skeff if hoppin, nearly time to hit the streets!!!!

And here we have a fine example of why so many galweigans dislike race week. And you're not even the worst of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement