Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

MadYaker wrote: »
    And here we have a fine example of why so many galweigans dislike race week. And you're not even the worst of them.

In fairness, he may have never lived in Galway city during the races. People outside of the city in the rest of the country probably don't give much of a shiite

MadYaker wrote: »
    And here we have a fine example of why so many galweigans dislike race week. And you're not even the worst of them.

The only galweigans I've come across who dislike race week are the people posting on this thread. People either love it or just don't care.

Now, back to drinking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The only galweigans I've come across who dislike race week are the people posting on this thread. People either love it or just don't care.

Now, back to drinking!!

You mean the only people you've come across i.e your peer and social group? Of course you don't interact regular with those who may dislike race week as your attitude in this thread suggests that people who tend to dislike race week would most certainly dislike being part of your peer group and would not partake in the same social grouping.

I know some people who love it but of my peer group either express apathy towards it or dislike it. - Birds of a feather tend to flock together and usually don't deny the existance of other breeds of birds because they are not in their flock :rolleyes:

zarquon wrote: »
    You mean the only people you've come across i.e your peer and social group? Of course you don't interact regular with those who may dislike race week as your attitude in this thread suggests that people who tend to dislike race week would most certainly dislike being part of your peer group and would not partake in the same social grouping.

I know some people who love it but of my peer group either express apathy towards it or dislike it. - Birds of a feather tend to flock together and usually don't deny the existance of other breeds of birds because they are not in their flock :rolleyes:

I do know more people than those in my peer group. Family, extended family, neighbours, acquaintances from the area, friends of friends, friends of family members etc and I've never heard someone say they dislike race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

For a man who's meant to be out enjoying himself on the best week of the year, you're doing a lot of posting on boards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I had another enjoyable day out at the racecourse today.(Thur)
    Crowds a good bit bigger than yesterday but you could still move around.
    I had a couple of winners, small bets smaller odds.

Only three or four helicopter flights during the races,
    a big reduction from the heady days of 2006/2007.

Thousands of people out enjoying the day’s races,
    Nice to see all the young people dressed up for the day.
    (Don’t know if the suits were cheap or not).
    Kinda funny to watch the ladies balancing precariously in those shoes.
    Who ever told them they had to do that!

I was in around town from 10 to 11.30 pm.
    All the city center streets were well crowded but you could still get through.
    You couldn’t really hear the few buskers above the noise of drunken voices.
    Hundreds of mostly young people, very loud and drunk and in your face.
    Not for the faint hearted, you would want to have a sense of humour and fun
    and engage with them, otherwise you could get very worked about it.
    A couple of lads pissing in doorways. No puke to report or no major brawls

All in all a typical enough ‘Ladies’ day / night in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was out tonight. No hassle but very busy trying to get in anywhere after 10 (sup Front Door). I'd give it a good 6/10 but I was way too late in.

I do know more people than those in my peer group. Family, extended family, neighbours, acquaintances from the area, friends of friends, friends of family members etc and I've never heard someone say they dislike race week.

How many of them are living in Galway city itself, not out somewhere in the county. AND have to work. The people who are bitter towards the races are the one's that live and work in the city all year long. If you had broken bottles thrown into your front lawn, lads pissing on your front gate or fighting outside of your house at 3am when you have to wake up at 7am. You would also likely not enjoy the week.

And the answer is not to take the week off because it's a very difficult week to get off from work. Many people go on holidays in the months of July and August. In my last 5 year in the city, that week and the week after were a no for holidays.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How many of them are living in Galway city itself, not out somewhere in the county. AND have to work. The people who are bitter towards the races are the one's that live and work in the city all year long. If you had broken bottles thrown into your front lawn, lads pissing on your front gate or fighting outside of your house at 3am when you have to wake up at 7am. You would also likely not enjoy the week.

And the answer is not to take the week off because it's a very difficult week to get off from work. Many people go on holidays in the months of July and August. In my last 5 year in the city, that week and the week after were a no for holidays.

I refuse to work race week, it's my main holiday every year! I'd quit a job before I'd work it!!!!!

Spot on, only people who have to live and work in the city would have reason to dislike race week. Why would country folk living way out in the sticks have anything other than fondness or apathy for race week.

On another note, if race week is the greatest week in civilisation, why on earth would some be regularly posting on boards during a night out on the town, especially on "ladies" day! ;)

• Advertisement

On another note, if race week is the greatest week in civilisation, why on earth would some be regularly posting on boards during a night out on the town, especially on "ladies" day! ;)

It's fierce effort alright to refresh a web page three or four times over the course of a night out :rolleyes: especially as the phone is an extension of my hand and I'm constantly doing something on it regardless of where I am.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's fierce effort alright to refresh a web page two or there times over the course of a night out :rolleyes:

I often check my phone while waiting on a pint of Guinness, never seems to spoil my night, but I guess some people find it really difficult to post from a phone - which would excuse any petty dig :pac:

Went over to Tesco just before 10 last night and the number of drunk lads and ladies dressed in suits hugging the pavement was a sight. It's rather sad to see vomit stained 20 somethings falling around the road and then getting aggressive. Absolutely no need for it and anyone who thinks that getting so drunk you can't stand up is just a bit of craic really needs to take a look at themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Occupied tin boxes crawling along wet thoroughfares everywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I refuse to work race week, it's my main holiday every year! I'd quit a job before I'd work it!!!!!

and you've spent most of the week on this thread:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People who think it's the best thing ever really need to broaden their horizons a bit.

Twitter:
    Traffic tailback from Clarinbridge to Oranmore
    Moneenageisha junction backed up eastbound to Corrib Park roundabout. Eyre Sq/Bohermore/Tuam Rd also backed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

A bit extreme quitting your job over a week on the p1ss
    When I lived there and got the 2 week holiday when the races were on we usually booked a foreign holiday somewhere, no interest in the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Twitter:
    Traffic tailback from Clarinbridge to Oranmore
    Moneenageisha junction backed up eastbound to Corrib Park roundabout. Eyre Sq/Bohermore/Tuam Rd also backed up

Ya traffic is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Haven't been online last couple of days as we had visitors from the UK. Brought them racing yesterday and everyone enjoyed themselves, bar not having too many winners!
    Back to the house afterwards for a bbq, then into town for about 10pm. Streets were surprisingly uncrowded, I've seen it a hell of a lot more packed in the past. Popped into the quays upstairs for a bit to dodge a shower, really good band playing. Back out and up the street a bit. Stayed out til 1.30ish. The visitors really enjoyed themselves, and commented on how good natured and friendly people were - they couldn't believe there weren't riots and fights breaking out all over, which they'd expect at such an event back home if it was allowed (the open air, on-street drinking and partying). Spotted one (yes, 1) guy pissing in public, from all the reports on here of similar behaviour he must have been the unluckiest p1sser in Galway, as two gardai were keenly interested in his technique and seemed to want to ask him a lot of questions... didn't see a single fight or even drunken arguments. Maybe all the young ones who can't hold their drink were already home by then, or off dumping in people's gardens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Salthill is deceptively calm traffic-wise. It's lethal all sides once you anywhere near GTI or the Claddagh church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

2014_08_01_18_26_44.jpg

Ladies Day: Aftermath

Ladies Day: Aftermath
    Observed a lone men's unlaced brogue on Henry St. So much heartbreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

That's kinda sad.

Was in town earlier today with my little brother and he asked what was wrong with all the people. He's only 6 and could see that the state some people were in was wrong. Outside TK Maxx at around 3:30 there was a group drinking openly from glass bottles and one of the gentlemen had his hand up the skirt of a lady and I would imagine that he was at least knuckle deep from the way he was going at it. A number of people, myself included mentioned it to the guards down the street and they didn't seem to care. When I said it, I go a "and" in reply.

Was in town earlier today with my little brother and he asked what was wrong with all the people. He's only 6 and could see that the state some people were in was wrong. Outside TK Maxx at around 3:30 there was a group drinking openly from glass bottles and one of the gentlemen had his hand up the skirt of a lady and I would imagine that he was at least knuckle deep from the way he was going at it. A number of people, myself included mentioned it to the guards down the street and they didn't seem to care. When I said it, I go a "and" in reply.

There's a different set of rules during race week. Unfortunately, the best advice is to avoid the city during the week. Could you imagine if there was some Canadian family or Asian family or whatever over exploring Ireland and got to Galway this week. I've told people over here to avoid Galway during race week. They may have enjoyed that scene but personally, it's not something I'd want tourists to associate with their trip to Ireland.

It's a vicious circle. Kids growing up seeing that sort of crap and therefore classify it as a an acceptable norm and then go on to do the sames things when they grow up.

There's a different set of rules during race week. Unfortunately, the best advice is to avoid the city during the week. Could you imagine if there was some Canadian family or Asian family or whatever over exploring Ireland and got to Galway this week. I've told people over here to avoid Galway during race week. They may have enjoyed that scene but personally, it's not something I'd want tourists to associate with their trip to Ireland.

To be honest, no one should have to see that kind of crap. It wouldn't be too bad if it was occurring at night but in the middle of the day when kids are around it's just wrong. The problem is that the people acting in such a manner are never on their own and if you said something to them or asked them to not be so disgusting, you'd most likely get a bottle broken over the side of your head.
    It's a vicious circle. Kids growing up seeing that sort of crap and therefore classify it as a an acceptable norm and then go on to do the sames things when they grow up.

It's not that bad, most kids when they see drunks on the street don't want to emulate it. And no one accepts it as the norm, anyone that does would be very much in the minority. Most people, adults and children alike recognise that people falling in the street or vomiting all over themselves is screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Walked past the Post Office on Eglington St about 10pm. There's a gate beside it, entrance way to their yard. Recessed a little from the street-front, and made of heavy metal vertical poles with gaps in in. At least six guys lined up using it like a urinal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I don't remember it being as bad 6/7 years ago.... I think the problem is the emphasis on buying large quantities of drink and getting bananas drunk.

It's such a pity because it could be a wonderful festival. I like to go, get dressed nicely and have a few drinks.

I went Monday and enjoyed myself. Had a lovely meal beforehand, backed a winner, had five pints and went home happy enough.
    The Volvo ocean race was as big and there was less of this mess. I'm sad people associate the galway races with a dress/ suit and bottle of vodka on the square.

I like the banter, style and good Craic. Wish seems to be disappearing every year.

I don't blame people for getting sick of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement