Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just two weeks to go!! [it's over]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ArtyC wrote: »
    I don't remember it being as bad 6/7 years ago.... I think the problem is the emphasis on buying large quantities of drink and getting bananas drunk.

It's such a pity because it could be a wonderful festival. I like to go, get dressed nicely and have a few drinks.

I went Monday and enjoyed myself. Had a lovely meal beforehand, backed a winner, had five pints and went home happy enough.
    The Volvo ocean race was as big and there was less of this mess. I'm sad people associate the galway races with a dress/ suit and bottle of vodka on the square.

I like the banter, style and good Craic. Wish seems to be disappearing every year.

I don't blame people for getting sick of it.

I think the next meeting is early September which might be closer to how it use to be. Will only attract the die hards and some locals. Might be worth a look.

I've said it a few times. The first Volvo Ocean Race in Galway was the greatest event that I've attended. It was the perfect crowd. A nice mix of tourists getting into it. Actual enthusiasts and locals with no prior expectations.

MadYaker wrote: »
    People who think it's the best thing ever really need to broaden their horizons a bit.

People who run it down are pathetic whinge bags devoid of any craic.

What a night tonight yet again, nothing in the world can compare to a day and night of the Galway races. Mountains drank :D

Now, time to recharge..... them pints won't drink themselves tomorrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do you not find the weekend races... well crap? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ArtyC wrote: »
    I don't remember it being as bad 6/7 years ago.... I think the problem is the emphasis on buying large quantities of drink and getting bananas drunk.

2008 was when the recession was got started, things were toned down a bit after that.

What a night tonight yet again, nothing in the world can compare to a day and night of the Galway races. Mountains drank :D

Honestly if you think that nothing in the world compares to getting drunk at the Galway Races then you really need to live a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Walked past the Post Office on Eglington St about 10pm. There's a gate beside it, entrance way to their yard. Recessed a little from the street-front, and made of heavy metal vertical poles with gaps in in. At least six guys lined up using it like a urinal.

Know it doesn't help the ladies but would the council not drop a few of these around the place during the busier evenings:
    http://www.loohire.org/site/index.php?section=2&page=24

Have used them in England, Germany and Holland on nights out. Might cut out some of the free range fertilisation that seems to be going on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

.. Might cut out some of the free range fertilisation that seems to be going on
    Eh, why do you think the Council put out those expensive wooden flower boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is it tonight that the stabbings,garden ****eing and rivers of puke happen? I'm free later so looking for something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Looks like some of the cork lads picked up some bad habits in Galway this week

(NSFW) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuINEm8IYAAq0y2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I sleep with the window open near city centre, this morning I could hear one guy talking to another guy about how he could "do it" without anybody seeing in one of next door's wheelie bins. I've no clue if he meant a dump, sex or whatever else and I didn't check the bin for clues.

Other than that, a smell of piss popping up all over the place, meeting a big huge poo almost certainly from a human on a footpath and a guy walking up and down the road scraming "Gerry" for about an hour in the middle of the night a few days ago, I've not had any huge issues. Not ventured down towards shop street all week though.

...a little bit fascinated by Ashlyn Creamy Dealer in this thread, definitely enjoyed his contributions a lot on some level. I'm being a bit of a sneery prick about it and all but I do actually want to hear his retrospective run down of the week once a few days have passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Other than that, a smell of piss popping up all over the place, meeting a big huge poo almost certainly from a human on a footpath and a guy walking up and down the road scraming "Gerry" for about an hour in the middle of the night a few days ago, I've not had any huge issues. Not ventured down towards shop street all week though.

...a little bit fascinated by Ashlyn Creamy Dealer in this thread, definitely enjoyed his contributions a lot on some level. I'm being a bit of a sneery prick about it and all but I do actually want to hear his retrospective run down of the week once a few days have passed.

He's still looking for Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Still very busy in around town this evening (Sunday) .
    Hundreds of people on the streets enjoying themselves.
    The ‘madness’ has been toned down by a couple of gears though.
    A good few buskers out as well.
    For what it’s worth I was talking to an American musician who has busked in cities all over the world for the last 25 years and he said he never witnessed that many people that drunk all together in the same place, as seen on Ladies day /night.
    So I guess it is unique to the Galway Races.
    Overall I enjoyed the week, but then I’m not working this week
    and I don’t live in the city center and can go home when it starts to get really messy.

Forgot the absolute f*cking ton of banging at doors around this time of the night the last few nights. More the fault of the c*nts who set fire to every doorbell along the street a few weeks ago than the locked out locked dudes, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Forgot the absolute f*cking ton of banging at doors around this time of the night the last few nights. More the fault of the c*nts who set fire to every doorbell along the street a few weeks ago than the locked out locked dudes, to be fair.

Maybe im clueless here but, Ummm huh,?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

You obviously don't get out much.

Maybe im clueless here but, Ummm huh,?
    Basically every night the last week there's been a ton of banging at doors between 2 and 4 from guys returning wrecked after their night out. They'll be banging away and shouting stuff like "Jesus, are any of yous awake?! Let me in!" over and over.

About 3 weeks ago, some bunch of blaggards set fire to every doorbell along the street so they've to bang on the doors instead, i guess.

That makes even less sense, doesn't it? I've been drinking and I'm a bit sleep deprived too, sorry. Just lots of banging, too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Basically every night the last week there's been a ton of banging at doors between 2 and 4 from guys returning wrecked after their night out. They'll be banging away and shouting stuff like "Jesus, are any of yous awake?! Let me in!" over and over.

About 3 weeks ago, some bunch of blaggards set fire to every doorbell along the street so they've to bang on the doors instead, i guess.

That makes even less sense, doesn't it? I've been drinking and I'm a bit sleep deprived too, sorry. Just lots of banging, too much!

Im drunk too, hence the confusion

I know that that's not helpful

Wow, people burned out the doorbells?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wow, people burned out the doorbells?

When people are drunk, they often find the most stupid and reprehensible of things "great craic" and hilarious.

if you call such actions out for the stupidity of what they are you are deemed to be void of any craic.

The great irony is that i would question if anyone truly is great craic if they cannot have fun without getting drunk. It is often a crutch for those lacking in the personality department to overcome their own internal limitations. If someone cannot have fun with getting drunk then they are not the "craic" they think they are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I wonder did Rose Raspy Grapefruit find Gerry yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Someone done this to my car on Friday in Mill St car park. Started on the far side of the boot and all the way up the drivers side. There are some as$holes out there.

2134tvp.jpg

jenno86 wrote: »
    Someone done this to my car on Friday in Mill St car park. Started on the far side of the boot and all the way up the drivers side. There are some as$holes out there.

Sorry to see that. No doubt done by some drunk sh1ts "having craic". Another good example why race week in Galway is not the greatest place on earth despite the protestations of certain posters on here.

I wouldn't dare park my car in any city centre carpark or on street during a race week night for fair of damage. Had a friend who's car was also badly damaged just off dominic street as some drunken yobbos decided it would be fun to jump on the bonnet. I assume they were drunk though as you'd have to be a right scum bag to do that when sober.

Drink often brings out the worst in people, so if you want to see the worst in people, race week is one of the greatest place on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

zarquon wrote: »
    Sorry to see that. No doubt done by some drunk sh1ts "having craic". Another good example why race week in Galway is not the greatest place on earth despite the protestations of certain posters on here.

I wouldn't dare park my car in any city centre carpark or on street during a race week night for fair of damage. Had a friend who's car was also badly damaged just off dominic street as some drunken yobbos decided it would be fun to jump on the bonnet. I assume they were drunk though as you'd have to be a right scum bag to do that when sober.

Drink often brings out the worst in people, so if you want to see the worst in people, race week is one of the greatest place on earth!
    I got my wing mirror kicked off down Woodquay one night last year, around September/October time. It was just a random Saturday night. What event do I blame for that? These things can happen any night of the year. Big events will obviously bring more people and more rowdiness. I've learned my lesson and now never leave the car in town overnight. Simple enough.

For the record, I work in the city centre and saw no more trouble than a usual Saturday night. Obviously more crowded and more difficult to drive through but I didn't see one fight, which is a regular occurrence on any Saturday night. I didn't see any stabbings or people shYtting in gardens, but there were people pissing on the streets. Again, nothing you wouldn't see on any other night out in town.

Galway would be a poorer place without Race Week, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Correlation =/= causation. Just because something bad happened during race week does not mean it was caused by race week. Bit of a stretch to say what you did without any evidence. I've had the wing mirror kicked off my car before, during daylight hours in March. Maybe they were practising for race week? :rolleyes:

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Galway would be a poorer place without Race Week, long may it continue.

It would also be a much richer place with an alternative that actually benefits the masses rather than just a few...just my opinion of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It would also be a much richer place with an alternative that actually benefits the masses rather than just a few...just my opinion of course

There's room for everything so feel free to set up this alternative you have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

what's the magical alternative that contributes jobs,extra hours and increased spending power for hundreds/thousands of locals?

what's the magical alternative that contributes jobs,extra hours and increased spending power for hundreds/thousands of locals?

Jobs, extra hours and increased spending power would be contributed by true innovation. Rather than piling millions into investing in the current flawed third level education system. Tear it down and start again. Incentivize startup entrepreneurs rather than putting obstacles in their way. I've got a distant relative in Galway who has started his own business and has generated jobs and has started partnering up with international customers. He's a rarity, he persevered through the BS to get up and running. I've been gone for about 3 years so maybe things have improved there for startups but back then, it was very easy for multinationals, not so easy for startups.

The money provided to people from one week contract work in the Tote, Lydons Catering, Radisson etc. is a drop in the ocean. Also, I know more about them but won't say...but I'm sure many others do too.

From an events perspective. Use the race track more, especially if it's being propped up by a local collective. Why can't it be used for a festival? Bob Dylan and Paddy Casey did well in Pearse Stadium with the main act being unable to sing. Before our economic boom, we had 7-UP beat on the street playing in towns like Westport and out in Salthill packing in thousands. Could also have an Oktoberfest out at the track with a park and ride out there.

I liked the Airshow. It was an actual proper family event. Usually held on a Sunday, not too many going out drinking. I worked in the city during the races, Paddys Day, Arthurs Day, RAG week, Air show etc. From a retail perspective when that show was on, it was very lucrative for us because it wasn't an all day event and it didn't lead to the crowd being focused on drinking. That wouldn't go down well with the publicans and hoteliers (less so)..but restaurants and retail would get some money from it. The pubs and hotels are mainly owned by a group of very few people, these people benefit the most from the efforts put into tourism and get it all with very little quality in terms of service and value for money. (Again, all my own opinion)

The Arts Festival is fine but it was originally intended as a platform for showcasing local talents which it seems to have bucked that in favor of showcasing mainly nostalgic international acts, international fringe acts and only a few national acts. I think if there was a Music festival that could showcase more international nostalgic acts alongside other more mainstream acts. And allow the Arts Festival to get back to it's roots.

The Volvo Ocean Race, the very first time was a great event. The Ironman competition was a pretty cool event too. Personally, I'd love a proper Jazz Festival in the 'Latin Quarter', I think we should be trying to get major international Fishing competitions. I think there's a great opportunity for video game events...when Fagans first opened and had their gaming nights it seemed popular. The gaming cafes had a little bit of a following. For one or two time a year events, that could generate some interest. Connacht Championship of Mario Kart...that would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Great post wompa. Can't for the life of me understand how no-one has put forward a festival/concert to be held at the race course...its tailor made for it!

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »
    I wonder did Rose Raspy Grapefruit find Gerry yet?

Careful now, you don't want to push your limited brain too hard coming up with such funny comments.

Is it really necessary to associate the 99% of people who have the craic in a perfectly harmless way during race week with some scumbag who most likely had no connection at all with the races who carried out this.

We had three of our cars keyed outside a friends house on a random night in May last year, while no cars were touched any other weekend or any of the busy times of the year. This sort of thing could happen any night of the week.

In contrast to you I spent a many hours around Galway at night last week, in particularly Thursday, fri and sat night (the busiest three). There wasn't even the slightest hint of trouble, just 1000's and 1000's people enjoying the atmosphere and fun of race week in the pubs and streets of Galway.
    Jobs, extra hours and increased spending power would be contributed by true innovation. Rather than piling millions into investing in the current flawed third level education system.

Wompa1 in running down third level education shocker. I never saw a person with such a chip on their shoulder about university especially coming from someone who claims to have attended. It's especially funny as your opinions are the things which are flawed not our very good third level eduction system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement