Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed with St Vincent de Paul

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am really struggling to make ends meat at the moment, living alone on 100 euro a week. Rang St Vincent de Paul last Thursday week explained my situation said a someone will be out last Tuesday with food voucher never showed up.

Rang them numerous of time and was told they are very busy at the moment and there is nothing they can do.

I'm not asking for a lot I can't understand their tone you beg explain you cannot afford food and don't seem to care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Or maybe they are busy? Instead of sitting on your arse ringing for the voucher get up and go collect it, if you need it so bad. They're overworked and under thanked, they can't just drop everything for you mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

I agree, they are overworked and underpaid. They do great job and I always support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

No need for that sort of condescending response,the OP is just asking for advice.

Bro.Kevin in the Capuchin Day Centre gives out food parcels every Wednesday morning from 9.30am-12 if you have no luck with calling into SDVP.

http://www.homelessdublin.ie/capuchin-day-centre

No need for that sort of condescending response,the OP is just asking for advice.

Bro.Kevin in the Capuchin Day Centre gives out food parcels every Wednesday morning from 9.30am-12 if you have no luck with calling into SDVP.

http://www.homelessdublin.ie/capuchin-day-centre

Sounds like the OP is looking to give about SVP unfairly. Get out and go get the voucher if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Or maybe they are busy? Instead of sitting on your arse ringing for the voucher get up and go collect it, if you need it so bad. They're overworked and under thanked, they can't just drop everything for you mate.

I'd agree with this .... if you're that hard-pressed, and if they're good enough to be giving you a voucher, would you not go and collect it rather than expecting to have it hand-delivered to your doorstep?

• Advertisement

I'd agree with this .... if you're that hard-pressed, and if they're good enough to be giving you a voucher, would you not go and collect it rather than expecting to have it hand-delivered to your doorstep?

It actually annoys me because he's making it out like he's the only person they have to deal with in that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

OP, I'm not sure if you know this, but the people who do the work like going to houses and meeting people to give them vouchers are all volunteers. They have a huge number of calls on their time, and they most definitely want to help people. I don't think that they are being slow about coming to your house because they want to be slow. I know that doesn't help you, but it might explain a bit more to you about the demands on their time and the huge effort that the volunteers put in.

Sounds like OP is having a bad time of it,cut them some slack FFS.

It's hard when you pluck up the courage to reach out for help like the OP has,and none is forthcoming.

Sounds like OP is having a bad time of it,cut them some slack FFS.

It's hard when you pluck up the courage to reach out for help like the OP has,and none is forthcoming.

Well they've said they will help, so that's completely wrong. He expects them to come riding to his house on a white horse by the sound of it, he has no right to be annoyed, now if he was told he can have one no one came he went to collect it and was told he's not entitled he can be annoyed, but for now - he can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I understand they are busy but the rudeness and rush to kick you of the phone I can't. have been in in contact with my local office and was told they do not let you collect vouchers that a volunteer needs to be sent out, I would gladly collect them from my local office I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Sorry to hear that things are tough for you, but if you have €200 to spend on a bike & can cycle 10km per day (as per your thread last week) you should really be able to get to SVdP yourself to collect your voucher.

OP - Sorry to hear that things are tough for you, but if you have €200 to spend on a bike & can cycle 10km per day (as per your thread last week) you should really be able to get to SVdP yourself to collect your voucher.

I was given a loan from the credit union to buy bike which I need for college in September and regular travel, not as if I plucked 200 euro out of the blue. Once I get back to college I will be fine but at the moment I'm am struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I really hate it when people creep through a poster's history, almost as if they're trying to "debunk" his/her problem.

Wow. I'd love to have €200 spare to spend on a bike. It would also be nice to have the time to use the bike.

Enjoy your free money OP, whenever you get a chance to collect it (or have it delivered to you.)

Meanwhile, the rest of us will get back to work ...

I don't mean to come across as I am trying to rob the charity associations of this country just after buying a bike for 200 euro, am paying it back by 5 euro a week. Cheaper than public transport which is a bonus.

I have no no savings and do not receive support from parents, if someone else in same situation I'm sure they can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Ignore those posts op, as for trawling through a persons history that should be banned.. I really hope things look up for you in the future and maybe get back on to vdp again and explain again it is hard, but I am sure they will help in the end....

[quote="Meanwhile, the rest of us will get back to work ...[/quote]

I like your thinking pm me your contact details and I will gladly take your job.

Is there a reason you can't call to them personally for the voucher you feel entitled to?

Is there a reason you can't call to them personally for the voucher you feel entitled to?

To be honest I feel to embarrassed to speak to them in a public shop.

Is there a reason why you're being such a condescending prick to the OP?

As he already explained (if you bothered reading the thread before belittling the OP) SVDP told him that they have to visit him/her to give the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

stevek93 wrote: »
    To be honest I feel to embarrassed to speak to them in a public shop.

Understandable.

Maybe you could ring them, arrange to collect voucher - ask them to put it in an envelope with your name etc - so then you are just going in and asking for "envelope you have to collect".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

As he already explained (if you bothered reading the thread before belittling the OP) SVDP told him that they have to visit him/her to give the voucher.

Um I did not get that from the op :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

stevek93 wrote: »
    I understand they are busy but the rudeness and rush to kick you of the phone I can't. have been in in contact with my local office and was told they do not let you collect vouchers that a volunteer needs to be sent out, I would gladly collect them from my local office I could.

Post number 11 on thread.

amdublin wrote: »
    Understandable.

Maybe you could ring them, arrange to collect voucher - ask them to put it in an envelope with your name etc - so then you are just going in and asking for "envelope you have to collect".

I didn't think they would let you do that I will give them a ring and see what they say thanks.

As a regular contributor to SVDP and other charities, it annoys me that some of those who benefit from such organisations have such a self-entitled attitude.

The money is going to this person rather than going to an impoverished young family - and yet he is bitching that it's not hand-delivered to his door - even though, by his previous posts, he can afford a bike and seems physically capable of using it.

He can afford a bike and an internet connection. I'm sorry, but come on, he's not that badly off. I am struggling financially with a small baby, and I find out that this is where my money is going? Call me a condescending prick if you like, but I'm unlikely to donate to SVDP again after reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP Brother Lukes give out a bag groceries every Wednesday in Church street's, Crosscare have a foodbank that provide groceries to a few charities in the city as well as a couple of community cafes, give them a call to find a local centre , all are anonymous and discreet.

SVP are fine, just run off their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I really hate it when people creep through a poster's history, almost as if they're trying to "debunk" his/her problem.
    dharma200 wrote:
    Ignore those posts op, as for trawling through a persons history that should be banned.. I really hope things look up for you in the future and maybe get back on to vdp again and explain again it is hard, but I am sure they will help in the end....
    Easy there folks. Less of your assumptions. I happened to remember the thread as I am in the market for a bike myself at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

As a regular contributor to SVDP and other charities, it annoys me that some of those who benefit from such organisations have such a self-entitled attitude.

The money is going to this person rather than going to an impoverished young family - and yet he is bitching that it's not hand-delivered to his door - even though, by his previous posts, he can afford a bike and seems physically capable of using it.

He can afford a bike and an internet connection. I'm sorry, but come on, he's not that badly off. I am struggling financially with a small baby, and I find out that this is where my money is going? Call me a condescending prick if you like, but I'm unlikely to donate to SVDP again after reading this.

OP has explained that he needs the Bike for College and that its cheaper than using Public Transport. I really don't understand your problem here. The OP has clearly stayed they are strugling and have taken a step may others can't/don't and contacted the SVDP for help.

Maybe they don't allow voucher collections in case the people collecting live in luxury and are ripping the piss so they like to visit people in need to confirm thay are in need and also offer some one on one advice. As for your future donations would you like SVDP to contact you for approval of where your donation may end up?

How did you know I had a internet connection? Also scroll up see how I managed to afford my bike.

Also I am not asking vouchers to be dropped at my door I thought that's how it worked my mistake.

Tell me something 100 a week paying rent and bills I am not entitled to help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Hey OP,

Sorry that it has come to contacting SVP for food vouchers, but you HAVE to take account of your current situation.

It's not ideal, but you might want to cut back on things like a 100MB UPC connection (in your sig).

I'd recommend jotting up your weekly / monthly outgoings.

So, at the top of a page put the total you get per week. Then plan your spendings. It'll be a pain in the ar$e, but might give you some leeway regards saving...even a few euro a week.

Be smart about spending on foodstuffs. Buy in bulk (spend now / save later in some instances). Shop in Lidl or Aldi and get "bulky" goods like pasta, rice, spuds (amongst other things!). Reduce costs if you're living on your own (electricity / heating).

The budget might reduce 'frivolous' spending. For example I have an extra calendar in Google Calendar just for my planned and erroneous spending. I know exactly how much I have (or mostly haven't!). Eg, I log every ATM transaction so it's not a surprise when I log in to find a figure MUCH lower than I thought.

Electric Ireland just tweeted a good summer tip on reducing costs.

I think your anger is misplaced as SVP would be a high-stress role.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement