Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Query

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey folks, feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong section!

I have a query about the auld TV Licence. I bought a licence in November last for a property that I no longer live in. The place I live now currently has a TV licence, so I haven't updated my details, didn't really see the point at the time.

Now, it has occurred to me that I will be liable to pay the fee again come November for that property, even though I don't live there anymore, and the last thing I want is a summons/fine that I am not aware of. I can't seem to find an option anywhere online that will let me cancel my own licence.

Does anyone have any information about cancelling a tv licence because the property is already licensed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The license is for the property, fact you have a license for your new property means you're fine and don't have to do anything. No such thing as canceling them AFAIK... Even if you did/could there's no advantage as they don't give partial refunds.

I'm assuming you don't own the old property... It's rental? If that's the case you don't need to do anything at all. New person in that property has to get their own license.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

I was just worried that if it wasn't renewed, they would start posting the famous 'renewal' letters to the house in my name, and if it remained unpaid, because I was the last person there, I would be liable for any fine/summons because the address wasn't changed.

Thanks for the info! It popped into my head earlier out of the blue!
    Cheers!

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You should contact them anyways, to let them know you've moved, as the renewals will still be sent to your old address, in your name

Better list of TV Licence Records offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did you not request An Post to re-route your post to your new address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your local main post office will have a TV License Inspector who deals with change of address and such.
    The renewal notices will keep coming unless they're informed of the change,best not to waste their time and yours if you're summoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭brian_t

ComaWhite wrote: »
    I have a query about the auld TV Licence. I bought a licence in November last for a property that I no longer live in. The place I live now currently has a TV licence, so I haven't updated my details, didn't really see the point at the time.

Should you make sure that the licence for your current house is not up for renewal before November.

Should you also make sure that the previous occupier of your current house is not going to transfer their licence to their new home at some stage.

Advertisement