Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this a good way to earn money as a teen

• 14-07-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My plan is to buy clothes (men's) on river island and asos and then sell them on adverts. Its only gonna make a tenner profit but I want the money for school. I was gonna dye the clothes or just change them abit. Could this work and if not how could I make it work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You are making profit only if you sell all of them. But if you sell ten items with 10 euro 'profit' it would still be zero if two items that you spent 50 euro on don't sell. There is also postage cost and cost of supplies to modify the clothes. Unless you have some unique talent for re-design I can't see how it would work. Your margin us so small that you need to shift large quantities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Clothes go for nothing on adverts, it's really hard to sell stuff at even close to the original price. People are looking for a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

try it with one or two items first.......you will be extremely lucky to get what you paid for them....never mind trying to make profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

you might be better of buying from adverts - then doing the modify to them - and re selling on adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Yeah i agree with the poster above, you'd be better off buying clothes in the likes of Penneys or Dunnes or even charity shops for a very cheap price and then modifying them and selling for a lil more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

No one will go out of their way to buy a River Island top - the thing to do is trawl the vintage and thrift store for one off / designer / vintage pieces, tidy them up and sell them on. Ebay would give you a far wider audience than Adverts as you could sell to overseas buyers. I myself buy vintage / handmade ties from a seller in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Adverts ie won't work, customers just low ball the hell out anything, I got a €150 Sliding Mitre Saw for €70 after another bidder low balled, made a deal and then withdrew offer.

I stepped in and bought at the low price, item is still €200 today. :)

More recently a new camera was going for €270 but was sourced cheaper from Amazon with delivery and warranty.

This is the cut throat environment you are exposing yourself to.

EBay has it's own problems, high fees, levies, conversion charges, fees on shipping cost, you'd be luckly to be left with 5% and then add the physics of packaging.

People do make money buying and selling but usually a specialty shop or look at drop shipping from China, you set up as Design IE and your Chinese supplier gives you access to his data base and you use his stock to sell, he ships out the sales and you collect a few pence ~ most work this way, the next trick is to drive traffic to your site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Also factor in all the time you spend sourcing the clothes, altering them, dealing with customers(if you get any) and delivering the product. Now divide the amount of profit you make on what you sell by the hours you put in and calculate if it really is worth it all.

I'm guessing you may be under age to look for regular jobs (hotels/shops etc). I was 15 when I worked in a hotel- if you are at least that age - why not try all the local hotels - even in a recession they seem to be looking for kitchen staff/dish washers/glass collectors etc.

If you have the loan of your parent's lawn mower, why not run off a few hundred flyers and distribute them among the houses in your neighbourhood. A lot of neighbours might be happy to give a tenner to someone to cut their lawn for half an hour. Likewise, window washing or similar yard work/diy activity that people are often too lazy to get around to themselves. Babysitting is another option but seems to be more girl oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Mrkeekster wrote: »
    My plan is to buy clothes (men's) on river island and asos and then sell them on adverts. Its only gonna make a tenner profit but I want the money for school. I was gonna dye the clothes or just change them abit. Could this work and if not how could I make it work

What age are you?? All jokes aside, if you're +16 you'd be as we'll off collecting glasses in a bar or something. Margins would be so small for all the effort out it, it wouldn't be worth it if you only want a few quid in your pocket to keep you going through school.

Advertisement