Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra ethernet ports on router

Options
  • 14-07-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I've got a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports. All 4 are used so just wondering what can i do to add additional ethernet ports for additional devices that i want to connect.

Will this device work by adding additional ethernet ports to my router??

TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5port 10/100mpbs desktop switch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

You could add a hub /switch.

network-ethernet-hub.jpg

EDIT: Just saw your mention of the switch.

Connect that to the router and additional devices from the switch / hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yes OP, the TP-LINK will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Do yourself a favour and get a decent 10/100/1000 Switch. The 10/100 is nice and cheap but the 1Gb will speed up everything network related. I recently bought a Netgear 8Port 1Gb Switch for about 50 euro because all my devices have Gigabit Ethernet including a NAS and other devices.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

ZENER wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and get a decent 10/100/1000 Switch. The 10/100 is nice and cheap but the 1Gb will speed up everything network related. I recently bought a Netgear 8Port 1Gb Switch for about 50 euro because all my devices have Gigabit Ethernet including a NAS and other devices.

Ken

This is assuming the OPs hardware uses gigabit NICs, he does not say weither it does or not.

Advertisement