Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toilet soil pipe too far from wall!

• 14-07-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

We're looking to renovate a downstairs ensuite which is in bad need of an update. This would include a new toilet, shower and retiling. The problem we have is that the soil pipe that was fitted is too far in from the wall. So, the builder put in a flexible pipe from the toilet to the ground and had to place the toilet to the left. This is really ugly and also it emits smells from time to time. The pipe is so far out from wall that it's not possible to fit the toilet centred on it with a standard outlet pipe.

Are there any options here other than digging the floor up and moving the soil pipe back? Are there any toilets on the market with a vertical (or variable) outlet?

20140713_105151.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

or you can get them like this :

RsqSFaz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

or enclose the cistern and just butt the base against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

chewed wrote: »
    We're looking to renovate a downstairs ensuite which is in bad need of an update. This would include a new toilet, shower and retiling. The problem we have is that the soil pipe that was fitted is too far in from the wall. So, the builder put in a flexible pipe from the toilet to the ground and had to place the toilet to the left. This is really ugly and also it emits smells from time to time. The pipe is so far out from wall that it's not possible to fit the toilet centred on it with a standard outlet pipe.

Are there any options here other than digging the floor up and moving the soil pipe back? Are there any toilets on the market with a vertical (or variable) outlet?

20140713_105151.jpg

You could go with a low level toilet and cistern or you could box out the distance and then fit a new toilet not sure if the space saver multi wick will do it or not.
    Best bet is call in a plumber and they will advise best as it's impossible to be sure from a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Mesure from the wall to the center of the sewer pipe, then ask in showrooms/plumbung supplys what will fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

chewed wrote: »
    This would include a new toilet, shower and retiling. The problem we have is that the soil pipe that was fitted is too far in from the wall.

If you retiling why not just move the pipe back in the floor or go straight out through the wall and reconnect to the sewer behind the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll definitely need a plumber to inspect and make a final call, but just wanted to see what options I had. Apparently there's a range of toilets from Laufen that have variable soil outlet that can be installed 7cm to 35cm from the wall so this could be an option. Davy, I will also look at this option of putting a hole through the wall for a horizontal pipe, if all else fails!

I just don't want to spend too much on a bloody toilet when the rest of the ensuite is already eating up my (meagre) budget!

Advertisement