Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL profile increase using Billion Bipac 7800N?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I recently had the profile on my ADSL line reduced from 4Mb/s to 2Mb/s because I logged a fault that there was too much contention at peak times (which has nothing to do with the profile on the line). It had been syncing fine and completely stable at 4Mb/s for almost 10 years. I've been asking my ISP to restore it to it to 4Mb/s but Eircom are refusing because they reckon the line can't handle it.

Just wondering if I got a Billion Bipac 7800N and set the SNR fairly low, would that make the DSLAM think the line was once again capable of 4Mb/s so that I could get the profile increased back to where it was?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope.

Modem side the snr target only effects when the line is profiled above max sync, when the DSLAM is profiled lower than that you'll only get that sync speed.

Call again, as long as you understand what you're doing I dont see why theyd say no. Tell em you know it might become a little unstable but youd like to try anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ipnet

I understand that the sync speed won't automatically increase above what's set on the DSLAM by just using a lower SNR with a Billion 7800N.

What I'm trying to get around is the "computer says no" attitude from Eircom engineers. My understanding is they are rejecting my request to restore the profile based on stats sent by the modem to the DSLAM, e.g. they are saying my SNR is too high to work at a higher speed. If I got the modem to report a lower SNR to the DSLAM, then I had hoped when I ask again the higher profile may be available as the DSLAM will think the line is better.

I've been asking repeatedly for the last few weeks explaining that I understand the consequences but Eircom are pushing back. It seems like my punishment for complaining about contention :-(

Maybe, if you were lucky.

What are your current line stats?

noise margin upstream: 12 db
    output power downstream: 17 db
    attenuation upstream: 31 db

noise margin downstream: 12 db
    output power upstream: 3 db
    attenuation downstream: 61 db

Down snr has some headroom and yet the attenuation is a bit high for 4mb.

Dunno why they wouldnt at least try it.

• Advertisement

No joy, Eircom wont budge.

From other threads I seen this is not an uncommon occurrence. It's crazy to think the Eircom effectively has a policy of reducing broadband speeds when it should be going the other way. When I got the broadband almost 10 years ago, 4Mb/s was a decent enough speed. To think 10 years later it has been reduced to 2Mb/s really says a lot of about broadband in this country.

The one reason they could have is the higher throughput could prompt session drops between yourself and the RAS if the link is very heavily congested. It'd make the connection very intermittent.

Have you looked into fixed wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

ipnet wrote: »
    When I got the broadband almost 10 years ago, 4Mb/s was a decent enough speed. To think 10 years later it has been reduced to 2Mb/s really says a lot of about broadband in this country.

Ditto

My fixed line broadband about 10 years ago was giving me 6 Mb, a decade later it's about 0.5 Mb.
    I have to disconnect from my "fixed line" and use my mobile, when I want to download something . :mad:

Forget next generation, could I have "last generation" please. :D

ED E wrote: »
    The one reason they could have is the higher throughput could prompt session drops between yourself and the RAS if the link is very heavily congested. It'd make the connection very intermittent.

Have you looked into fixed wireless?

Is that not going from the frying pan into the fire?

Advertisement